Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I would be okay riding with Minshew in 23

BlueShoe

I’m not 100% completely sold on us taking a QB in the top 4. I think it’s highly likely we will, but Ballard shouldn’t force it. And he won’t. That said, if the right guy is there then he absolutely should do it.

Passing on a quarterback in the top 4, would not shock me. It would stir up a lot of controversy in the sports media, but there are certain situations that would justify it. 

What if a team jumps us and 3 quarterbacks go off the board? So. 

What if the Colts only highly rated quarterbacks are off the board when we pick at 3 or 4? So. 

I would not allow this draft to hold the Colts hostage. Minshew is a capable quarterback. We should not force a quarterback, especially if there is potentially a game changing Edge Rusher on the board. 

I would not want to be the GM who passed on Will Anderson, especially because of forcing a need. 

It’s possible that at least one of these top 4 quarterbacks fall into the mid or late first round. If so then package a deal with our second pick and move the second selection into the first round. Teams do this every year. 

I’d be okay riding with Minshew, Ehlinger, and even keeping a third (Hooker/Bennett/Insert any Rookie). 

We can win with Minshew. And who knows… Maybe the draft falls our way… Our second rounder becomes a first rounder… And we walk away with one of the top 4 quarterbacks anyway. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at Gardners game logs it shows he has talent no doubt.  I seen how good he can be against us a couple of years ago when he was with the Jags. Evidently Shane is comfortable with him so anything is possible. It's going to be an interesting time between now and April 27th. 

Stache is probably not gonna get us into the playoffs   I am guessing the draft was discussed with him before he signed 

I am more than OK to take the top player and draft Hooker in Rd 2.  Or trade back up into rd 1 to get the 5 yr option

Why are we okay with another stop gap? This is not pur franchise QB how long are we supposed to patiently wait for a viable team. We've had some good qbs but not guys you build a team around. There's always an excuse not to go big and take a risk. At some point something has to give. If we wait for the next Luck or Manning we're going to be waiting a while.  If Ballard can't find a QB in the time he's been here maybe it just not his think. Pull the trigger get our guy please.

6 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Why are we okay with another stop gap? This is not pur franchise QB how long are we supposed to patiently wait for a viable team. We've had some good qbs but not guys you build a team around. There's always an excuse not to go big and take a risk. At some point something has to give. If we wait for the next Luck or Manning we're going to be waiting a while.  If Ballard can't find a QB in the time he's been here maybe it just not his think. Pull the trigger get our guy please.

Because there are no sure fire picks at QB but there is a closer chance to a sure fire pick with BPA    AND take a QB later   Minshew doesn't suck BTW he was a great signing 

Minshew  is a solid backup. But if the colts are going to turn the last 8 years of Irrelevancy around, I seriously doubt that DE from Alabama(Anderson) will be the one to do so without a upper echelon QB at the helm. 

The Colts need to take a swing at a potential franchise QB sooner or later....maybe AR15 or Levis or someone else including FA. 

But one thing is clear, Minshew or DE Anderson is not the best course of action if you want to make the playoffs and go up against teams like KC, Cinn., Buffalo, Denver, Jets.

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Minshew  is a solid backup. But if the colts are going to turn the last 8 years of Irrelevancy around, I seriously doubt that DE from Alabama(Anderson) will be the one to do so without a upper echelon QB at the helm. 

The Colts need to take a swing at a potential franchise QB sooner or later....maybe AR15 or Levis or someone else including FA. 

But one thing is clear, Minshew or DE Anderson is not the best course of action if you want to make the playoffs and go up against teams like KC, Cinn., Buffalo, Denver, Jets.

Not gonna make the playoffs with any of the top 4 Qb's.  So build the D until the QB is in place 

19 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Because there are no sure fire picks at QB but there is a closer chance to a sure fire pick with BPA    AND take a QB later   Minshew doesn't suck BTW he was a great signing 

There were few if any sure fire picks available to the Colts the last 6 years but I bet the players are sick of the qb carousel. No risk no reward sit on your hands and wait for the perfect moment or take a risk and get your guy. 

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Not gonna make the playoffs with any of the top 4 Qb's.  So build the D until the QB is in place 

If the colts never try to realistically address the QB position, the QB will never be in place!

The league isn't in the era of three yards and a cloud of dust anymore....those days are long gone. A good D is nice to have but in these days of passing, trying to build a dominant defense 1. Takes a backseat to trying to acquire a elite QB..... 2. is futile because dominant defenses don't really exist because the best ranked defenses aren't really dominant consistently year to year or even thru out the season. The Top Offenses and QB's usually outplay them. Ballards  tried that approach along.with building the trenches and after 6+ seasons he has a below .500 record, no division titles in a weak division,he's gone through three HC's and still No QB going into year seven. 

31 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

There were few if any sure fire picks available to the Colts the last 6 years but I bet the players are sick of the qb carousel. No risk no reward sit on your hands and wait for the perfect moment or take a risk and get your guy. 

So take a risk and take a JAG.

Someone you can't see with SB level potential.

And pass on an ELITE level pass rusher.

Richardson Richardson Richardson 

27 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Minshew is not bad enough to get us a top 3 pick next year. So I dont see the point. 

Exactly. This only makes sense if Ballard + co picks a QB in later rounds that they fully believe in but needs to sit a year or at least most of the season. Having said that, I love that we have Minshew in the team and doesn’t object to him playing the start of the season. We’re not going to to playoffs next year anyway.

@BlueShoe covered it.  If the Colts truly believe the QB is there when we draft, they should take him. But don’t let expectations, fan based pressure, or grasping at hope influence the decision.  

I suspect that they think Hendon is as good, or as raw as Levis or AR.  And that they can get him later in the first.  

You can’t pass on a guy that can finally give opposing OC something to worry about for the next ten years.  Not for “let’s hope this guy can develop”.  

I would probably take Anderson in the first round (if he fell to 4), and Hooker in the 2nd. However, if you take Anderson at 4, you better be able to know that you can get Hooker, whether it be trading up into the first round, or taking him at 35. Personally, I think we can get him at 35.

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Minshew is not bad enough to get us a top 3 pick next year. So I dont see the point. 

That's why we haven't released Nick Foles yet. 

@BlueShoe    I was hoping you would endorse Anthony Richardson like you endorsed Shaq Leonard when we drafted him or George Kittle or Justin Herbert...  You have some insane hits in previous draft. :thmup: :hat:

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I’m not 100% completely sold on us taking a QB in the top 4. I think it’s highly likely we will, but Ballard shouldn’t force it. And he won’t. That said, if the right guy is there then he absolutely should do it.

Passing on a quarterback in the top 4, would not shock me. It would stir up a lot of controversy in the sports media, but there are certain situations that would justify it. 

What if the Colts only highly rated quarterbacks are off the board when we pick at 3 or 4? So. 

I would not allow this draft to hold the Colts hostage. Minshew is a capable quarterback. We should not force a quarterback, especially if there is potentially a game changing Edge Rusher on the board. 

I would not want to be the GM who passed on Will Anderson, especially because of forcing a need. 

It’s possible that at least one of these top 4 quarterbacks fall into the mid or late first round. If so then package a deal with our second pick and move the second selection into the first round. Teams do this every year. 

I’d be okay riding with Minshew, Ehlinger, and even keeping a third (Hooker/Bennett/Insert any Rookie). 

We can win with Minshew. And who knows… Maybe the draft falls our way… Our second rounder becomes a first rounder… And we walk away with one of the top 4 quarterbacks anyway. 

Other than the top two qbs next year none of them are really better than the qbs from this draft. Chances are we will not be picking top 2 anyway so then what wait another year then another year and so on. The fact is nobody knows how good any of these qbs will be until they are drafted. Levis or Richardson could be all time greats. Williams and maye could be busts. It's all about the qb having the right work ethic and going to the right place.

We have have a QB targeted at 4. If AZ wants a kings ransom and someone pays it to jump ahead of us and take our guy, sure take BPA even if it’s a defender. 

I was shocked what Carolina gave up for #1 and I will be shocked if someone gives up the farm to get to 3. Next pick that needs QB is #8 Atlanta, I don’t see the Cards trading that low when they can take an elite defender where they sit.  I don’t think these QBs show enough sure thing to be trading that much assets either.  We should have our choice between two QBs at 4 but crazy things happen.  

6 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Doesn’t make sense to force it if the cards don’t fall in our favor. IMO if CJ stroud or Bryce don’t make it to 4 you go BPA. I’m not sold on Richardson or Levis to be completely honest with you. I’m 95% sure that Reich and Carolina are taking Stroud. The Texans are in need of a QB Bryce is likely going two. the Falcons and Lions can still potentially move up ahead of us at 3 or the Cardinals can decide they want to stay put and get their guy. If I’m in the FO I would seriously consider a trade back with  the Lions or Atlanta and go BPA and acquire some extra draft capital to trade up next season. I’m not saying that Richardson or Levi’s can’t end up being special, I just don’t like to flirt with the idea of drafting a potential Bust and setting us back even further. If we’re going to pull the trigger on a QB I’d rather know 100 % that this guy is going to be THAT GUY.

27 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

We have have a QB targeted at 4. If AZ wants a kings ransom and someone pays it to jump ahead of us and take our guy, sure take BPA even if it’s a defender. 

I was shocked what Carolina gave up for #1 and I will be shocked if someone gives up the farm to get to 3. Next pick that needs QB is #8 Atlanta, I don’t see the Cards trading that low when they can take an elite defender where they sit.  I don’t think these QBs show enough sure thing to be trading that much assets either.  We should have our choice between two QBs at 4 but crazy things happen.  

I was also thinking about who would jump ahead of us for a QB.  Atlanta has Ridder and picked up Heinicke.  Raiders have Jimmy G, but you never know about that franchise.  Washington has Howell and picked up Jacoby.  Tampa picked up Baker.

You can't rule any of them out, nor a team like Detroit or Seattle.  But right now it doesn't look like anyone is desperate for a guy like AR or Levins, at least not to me.

The draft is crazy, and fun, but I agree.  It sure looks like we should be in position to take the 3rd QB.  The question then becomes - is he the guy we really want?

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would probably take Anderson in the first round (if he fell to 4), and Hooker in the 2nd. However, if you take Anderson at 4, you better be able to know that you can get Hooker, whether it be trading up into the first round, or taking him at 35. Personally, I think we can get him at 35.

There is nothing wrong with this approach

Anderson and  Carter(Even with his off season mistake) on the surface, have a MUCH better chance to contribute at a very high level, than Levis or Richardson

Its a crap shoot at QB

Why not take a later spin of the wheel and get player like Hooker AND have Anderson as well

Looking at history ......It MIGHT be something like this:

Richardson - Chance to be a top 10 QB - 20%

Levis - Chance to be a top 10 QB - 15%

Hooker - Chance to be a top 10 QB - 10%

Carter - Chance to be a top 10 DL - 50%

Anderson - Chance to be a top 10 DE - 60%

I think the current QB1 and QB2 are probably 30-35% "chance" If they somehow slide to 3 or 4, you have to try and get them.

But......

Until we get the QB of the future you HAVE to keep trying.........  But just taking a QB doesn't guarantee anything

My first thought after signing him was.  Take Anderson at 4.  Draft hooker in 2nd.  Let Minshew do his thing.  And then when hooker is ready.  Let him take over.  I think Hooker would have been the #1 pick.  If he didn't get hurt.  SO He's the best bet.  Esp with a decent qb to run with it till he's ready.  

8 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think Minshew could be a starting qb if given a chance and support. Maybe that’s what this one year deal is….a chance. He’s only 26 and has talent. 

Unfortunately we are "supporting" him with a garbage WR unit.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Other than the top two qbs next year none of them are really better than the qbs from this draft. Chances are we will not be picking top 2 anyway so then what wait another year then another year and so on. The fact is nobody knows how good any of these qbs will be until they are drafted. Levis or Richardson could be all time greats. Williams and maye could be busts. It's all about the qb having the right work ethic and going to the right place.

That’s how I see it too. You can rationalize the “wait for the perfect QB” all you want but the fact is, no one knows for sure how any of these guys will turn out. You have to take a risk to get your QB. The Colts are in position to potentially get their QB of the future this year without having to mortgage the future.  It could be a long time before they have a top 5 pick again. Time to go for it. 

8 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

So take a risk and take a JAG.

Someone you can't see with SB level potential.

And pass on an ELITE level pass rusher.

Richardson Richardson Richardson 

Or move up and get your guy. Or get Lamar.  We can sit in mediocrity for the rest of Ballard's tenure. I would love it if football wasn't so dependent on one position but it is just so rare to see teams without QBs do anything. 

If we put off QB this draft, it’s not like we’re guaranteed to get Caleb Williams next year. Minshew will win some games so we’re not getting the top pick. It’s past time to take a swing. If we miss so be it. Take another swing. Ballard is clearly content to keep kicking the can down the road but I don’t think fans should be. No one can predict QBs accurately. Levis has just as good of a chance to hit as Stroud. (Note: I see Canuck and Hoos said this same thing, better than I did. Sorry for the repetitiveness, boys!) 

10 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Stache is probably not gonna get us into the playoffs   I am guessing the draft was discussed with him before he signed 

I am more than OK to take the top player and draft Hooker in Rd 2.  Or trade back up into rd 1 to get the 5 yr option

I have been thinking the same thing. Roll with Minshew for the first half of the season or so, then go with Hooker I. The draft. He’s still coming off ACL surgery, but is reportedly running now. The downside is his age. I think he turns 26 this year. He was having the best season of all the QB’s in the draft before he got hurt. He’s mature. Can learn the offense while rehabbing and we have a stop gap with Minshew that he can learn from. Trading back I got the first is a good plan as well. We have 9 picks this draft so a lot of trade capital. Even at 26, we can get to a second contract with him. I see a lot of upside with this. 

We can not win with Minshew.  Maybe a handful of games at best.  He’s a backup.  His contract screams backup.  He has not earned a starter’s role wherever he has been.  Shane knows him and coached him and we only signed him to a one year backup contract.  We are drafting and starting a rookie quarterback.  That’s all there is to it.

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We can not win with Minshew.  Maybe a handful of games at best.  He’s a backup.  His contract screams backup.  He has not earned a starter’s role wherever he has been.  Shane knows him and coached him and we only signed him to a one year backup contract.  We are drafting and starting a rookie quarterback.  That’s all there is to it.

I agree with you.  And I also agree with the OP.

Minshew is insurance.  Nothing more.  He's not The Guy.  He won't take us to the playoffs and beyond.

And after last year's debacle, you could make a strong argument that none of them were going to be The Guy either.  We released Ryan.  We're probably going to release Foles.  And we're bound to release Sam once he plays out his rookie contract.

So that leaves the draft.  There are 4 QB's that will be picked in the top 10 or earlier.  And not all of them are guaranteed to be The Guy.  The top two QB's, who are also most likely to be The Guy, are also going in the top two picks.  At pick 3, either the 3rd QB comes off the board or Anderson.  Which leaves us at 4.  We will either see the bottom 2 QB's, with a lesser chance of becoming The Guy, or we will see the 4th QB alongside Anderson.

So, what do you do?  It depends on how you ranked the QB's.  Which ones you like.  Some people don't like Levis, and rank him low.  Personally, I have him as my #2 QB.  So, if I was faced with Anderson or Levis, I would take Levis.  But if the last QB was Richardson, well, I'm still deathly scared of him, and how he would turn out.  So, in that case, I would take Anderson.  And either take a QB in the 2nd round, or ride Minshew and Sam through 2023, knowing that neither one of them would take us to the playoffs.

The decision trees on this are very complex.  A lot if "if this happens, then that choice emerges, but if that happens, then this other choice emerges".  Not sure if there is a whole lot of room for us to do what we intend to do.  But rather, how we choose to cope with whatever choice comes our way.

Minshew is insurance.  He knows the offense.  He can play.  But that's all he is.  Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that he's anything more than that.

12 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I agree with you.  And I also agree with the OP.

Minshew is insurance.  Nothing more.  He's not The Guy.  He won't take us to the playoffs and beyond.

And after last year's debacle, you could make a strong argument that none of them were going to be The Guy either.  We released Ryan.  We're probably going to release Foles.  And we're bound to release Sam once he plays out his rookie contract.

So that leaves the draft.  There are 4 QB's that will be picked in the top 10 or earlier.  And not all of them are guaranteed to be The Guy.  The top two QB's, who are also most likely to be The Guy, are also going in the top two picks.  At pick 3, either the 3rd QB comes off the board or Anderson.  Which leaves us at 4.  We will either see the bottom 2 QB's, with a lesser chance of becoming The Guy, or we will see the 4th QB alongside Anderson.

So, what do you do?  It depends on how you ranked the QB's.  Which ones you like.  Some people don't like Levis, and rank him low.  Personally, I have him as my #2 QB.  So, if I was faced with Anderson or Levis, I would take Levis.  But if the last QB was Richardson, well, I'm still deathly scared of him, and how he would turn out.  So, in that case, I would take Anderson.  And either take a QB in the 2nd round, or ride Minshew and Sam through 2023, knowing that neither one of them would take us to the playoffs.

The decision trees on this are very complex.  A lot if "if this happens, then that choice emerges, but if that happens, then this other choice emerges".  Not sure if there is a whole lot of room for us to do what we intend to do.  But rather, how we choose to cope with whatever choice comes our way.

Minshew is insurance.  He knows the offense.  He can play.  But that's all he is.  Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that he's anything more than that.

This is why I think you move to 3 and not stay at 4.  Increases your odds of getting a guy you want than by sitting at 4.  

4 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Doesn’t make sense to force it if the cards don’t fall in our favor. IMO if CJ stroud or Bryce don’t make it to 4 you go BPA. I’m not sold on Richardson or Levis to be completely honest with you. I’m 95% sure that Reich and Carolina are taking Stroud. The Texans are in need of a QB Bryce is likely going two. the Falcons and Lions can still potentially move up ahead of us at 3 or the Cardinals can decide they want to stay put and get their guy. If I’m in the FO I would seriously consider a trade back with  the Lions or Atlanta and go BPA and acquire some extra draft capital to trade up next season. I’m not saying that Richardson or Levi’s can’t end up being special, I just don’t like to flirt with the idea of drafting a potential Bust and setting us back even further. If we’re going to pull the trigger on a QB I’d rather know 100 % that this guy is going to be THAT GUY.

stroud is the only one worth a top 4 pick , young is too small for the nfl, the other two have huge flaws. minshew is better than all but stroud

Everyone is getting way too hung up on the idea of draft choice value.

at this point, nearly everyone in the public --- including former scouts, longtime observers, former GMs and former coaches --- seem to think that both Levis and Richardson are worth 1st round picks. And high 1st round picks. I think the lowest i've seen for either is in the early teens.

I do know this. We were bad enough to have the 4th pick in the draft. In a draft with supposedly 4 top QB prospects. 

a bit of context. Quick --- name the other players besides Peyton in the 98 draft. 

No one really. Steve McKinney was taken the 4th round and had a good career, but left in FA after 4 years.  (we loved jerome pathon, and eg green, and the TE, but they did NOT move the needle)

The point is, you hit on the QB and it's the best draft ever. No one even remember if none of the other guys panned out.

Don't overthink this. Pick a QB, coach him up and let's roll...

I’ve been on the Hendon Hooker bandwagon since last year when he was lighting folks up. 

Here is a fun case test of blindly looking at individual stats without height and weight and school and QB win loss information. Based off the below info which QB would you select?

67% Completion, 80-12 TD to INT Rate, 4.0 YPC and 25 TD’s

65% Completion, 46-25 TD to INT Rate, 2.4 YPC and 17 TD’s

66% Completion, 80-12 TD to INT Rate, 1.2 YPC and 7 TD’s

55% Completion, 24-15 TD to INT Rate, 6.9 YPC and 12 TD’s

70% Completion, 85-12 TD to INT Rate,

1.7 YPC and 1 TD

15 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree with  not forcing a qb. The only issue is this. Let  us say thr Minshew starts and the team plays hard undet Steichen and wins  like 8 games or so. That would have  us picking in the teens next year.  Now u really have to trade up next year and use vital draft capital. 

12 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Understood.

For me, I would look into it.  Depends on the price.

The price is everything.  I really don’t want to give up our second.  The earlier we make the trade the better chance we have on keeping it.  The closer we get to the draft it becomes tougher.

Archived