Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I would be okay riding with Minshew in 23

BlueShoe

On 3/22/2023 at 9:22 PM, BlueShoe said:

I think Young and Stroud come off the board at 1 and 2. Young could be the next Drew Brees or he could be the next Murray. Stroud has all the tools, but why would he say that he admires Vick and Watson? Has he been oblivious to everything? As a GM, that would concern the hell out of me. 

Stroud does concern me.  Seems like he's the least likely to fall to us of the top group, but when I watch him there is film where he's out there balling and there's film where he gives me Goff vibes.  That's my comp for him tbh.  Goff.  Similar talent, as in he can make all the throws easily, gifted passer naturally but is he smart enough and does he have enough dog in him.

If not he's gonna bust.

Young has everything you want on the mental side if you believe the stories coming out of Bama.  He's purely a question of the physical side, i.e. can he survive and hold up at this level not to mention see over his OL.  Fans say oh well he did it in college.  But in the NFL defenses are waaaaaay better in the secondary.  Way more tuned to stop what you do well.  Way more prepared to take advantage of what you do not do well.  And capable of confusing you with varied looks that make you think they're in different calls.  These guys are pros.

And Richardson lol.  Oh boy.  He's a lottery ticket for sure but what's your chances of hitting on that.

There's concerns all over the joint with all these guys.  But that's also what makes it a very interesting class.  I was sure due to all this that Levis would easily slide to the top (he dealt with things the others did not), but it seems to not be the case.  Which is good for us IMO.  If we can come out of this draft with him the Colts will look like geniuses five years from now.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/19/2023 at 2:30 AM, CanuckColtsFan said:

Why are we okay with another stop gap? This is not pur franchise QB how long are we supposed to patiently wait for a viable team. We've had some good qbs but not guys you build a team around. There's always an excuse not to go big and take a risk. At some point something has to give. If we wait for the next Luck or Manning we're going to be waiting a while.  If Ballard can't find a QB in the time he's been here maybe it just not his think. Pull the trigger get our guy please.

Actually there's literally another Manning coming not too far away lol and next years class has a phenom in it.

On 3/19/2023 at 2:38 AM, ChuggaBeer said:

Because there are no sure fire picks at QB but there is a closer chance to a sure fire pick with BPA    AND take a QB later   Minshew doesn't suck BTW he was a great signing 

The problem is that the Best Player Available player is in eyes of the beholder, and the beholder is often wrong. That's how you wind up with Malik Hooker.

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

The problem is that the Best Player Available player is in eyes of the beholder, and the beholder is often wrong. That's how you wind up with Malik Hooker.

Hooker didn’t pan out because he was severely injured that he didn’t recover from during his Colts years.    But as his talent goes, he was drafted right where most thought he would be.   That’s how you end up with Malik Hooker.    Sucks for the Colts that it didn’t work out, but that’s the NFL. 

On 3/18/2023 at 10:56 PM, BlueShoe said:

I’m not 100% completely sold on us taking a QB in the top 4. I think it’s highly likely we will, but Ballard shouldn’t force it. And he won’t. That said, if the right guy is there then he absolutely should do it.

Passing on a quarterback in the top 4, would not shock me. It would stir up a lot of controversy in the sports media, but there are certain situations that would justify it. 

What if a team jumps us and 3 quarterbacks go off the board? So. 

What if the Colts only highly rated quarterbacks are off the board when we pick at 3 or 4? So. 

I would not allow this draft to hold the Colts hostage. Minshew is a capable quarterback. We should not force a quarterback, especially if there is potentially a game changing Edge Rusher on the board. 

I would not want to be the GM who passed on Will Anderson, especially because of forcing a need. 

It’s possible that at least one of these top 4 quarterbacks fall into the mid or late first round. If so then package a deal with our second pick and move the second selection into the first round. Teams do this every year. 

I’d be okay riding with Minshew, Ehlinger, and even keeping a third (Hooker/Bennett/Insert any Rookie). 

We can win with Minshew. And who knows… Maybe the draft falls our way… Our second rounder becomes a first rounder… And we walk away with one of the top 4 quarterbacks anyway. 

I am not begging for this, but after evaluation it is determined that ANY QB in the top 4 is a reach, I could live with riding thru the garden of Minshew........but I ain't beggin for it LOL      

9 hours ago, masterlock said:

Hooker was considered a steal at 15 in the 2017 draft

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Hooker was considered a steal at 15 in the 2017 draft

Malik Hooker has done just fine since leaving the Colts. Not sure why people hate on him so much.  He got injured and we moved on.  He has made a good comeback with the Cowboys. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Malik Hooker has done just fine since leaving the Colts. Not sure why people hate on him so much.  He got injured and we moved on.  He has made a good comeback with the Cowboys. 

Because we have a fan base that expects too much out of some guys. I’m glad Hooker is doing well in Dallas. 

13 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

People here hate on him because the Colts didn’t get much to show from the 15th overall pick.    Fans are frustrated.   That part I get.   

But complaining that the Colts used the 15th overall pick on a safety is revisionist history based on hindsight.   Hooker was very highly regarded and was drafted where the consensus thought he should go.   

For those that are good with riding with Minshew remember he lead the Jags to 1-15 a couple of years ago.  Don’t let the fact that he, and every Jag in existence, played a career game vs the Colts in Jacksonville fool you.  

Minshew is a high end backup and bridge starter.  That’s it.  He’s not the QB you turn too when the Owner says he needs to see progress this year.

10 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

While putting Hooker down the Ballard haters at the same time putting Ballard down also. Hooker was thought a steal at 15 at the time.

Yep just couldn’t stay healthy here.  It happens all the time in the NFL.  A dude can’t stay healthy with one team so they are forced to let him go and he goes somewhere else and has a good career.  That’s the story of a lot of NFL free agents.

Having Minshew start every game over a rookie you drafted 4th overall is literally throwing in the towel on the 2023 season. You need to start the rookie QB in week 1 if you loved him enough to draft him inside the top 5. Allow the rookie QB to go through the growing pains while soaking up as much knowledge and experience as possible for the benefit of the future of your franchise.

On 3/19/2023 at 2:43 AM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Minshew  is a solid backup. But if the colts are going to turn the last 8 years of Irrelevancy around, I seriously doubt that DE from Alabama(Anderson) will be the one to do so without a upper echelon QB at the helm. 

The Colts need to take a swing at a potential franchise QB sooner or later....maybe AR15 or Levis or someone else including FA. 

But one thing is clear, Minshew or DE Anderson is not the best course of action if you want to make the playoffs and go up against teams like KC, Cinn., Buffalo, Denver, Jets.

QB3 or QB4 is not going to do what you are asking. Build the defense first IF DE1, DT1 is there or trade back… DE3 and a top CB1,2,3 We beat KC and DEN last year. (By playing Defense) shoot for Williams or Mays next year. 

Archived