Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Leaf on the QBs

Moosejawcolt

Getting ready for work and didn't catch all of his take on the qbs but here is what I caught. He had Young and Stroud 1A and 1B. He really liked Hooker and had a team maybe sneaking back into 1st round to grab him. He was pretty adamant that he felt neither Richarson or Levi were worth a 1st round pick. He really wasn't wowed by Richardson. The tape didn't match. Interesting watch but I only caught some of it so maybe someone caught the full segment.

Considering that another QB from Tennessee one upped him last time, he is going to be favorable towards TN QBs moving forward, lol :) 

It is just 1 guy's opinion. However, I would take the opinion of a guy like Kurt Warner who played QB far longer and was far more successful reading Ds than that of Ryan Leaf's, no offense to him. 

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Getting ready for work and didn't catch all of his take on the qbs but here is what I caught. He had Young and Stroud 1A and 1B. He really liked Hooker and had a team maybe sneaking back into 1st round to grab him. He was pretty adamant that he felt neither Richarson or Levi were worth a 1st round pick. He really wasn't wowed by Richardson. The tape didn't match. Interesting watch but I only caught some of it so maybe someone caught the full segment.

I would like to see us draft the Tackle from Northwestern 1st and Hooker 2nd

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Considering that another QB from Tennessee one upped him last time, he is going to be favorable towards TN QBs moving forward, lol :) 

It is just 1 guy's opinion. However, I would take the opinion of a guy like Kurt Warner who played QB far longer and was far more successful reading Ds than that of Ryan Leaf's, no offense to him. 

U have to only have to listen to Leaf and realize he is a very smart guy and he takes the emotion  out of it . I am totally in favor of trading down if we can  get a Dend or shut down corner. I would  love Hooker at end of  first round.

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U have to only have to listen to Leaf and realize he is a very smart guy and he takes the emotion  out of it . I am totally in favor of trading down if we can  get a Dend or shut down corner. I would  love Hooker at end of  first round.

I am sorry, I would have a hard time taking him seriously even if he sounds objective. You love Hooker, this is just another thread propping Hooker up. That is fine you love him, I would too if the Colts went that direction.

But I will take the opinions of folks who do this for a living, and Leaf does not. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I feel like Kurt tends to let his personal feelings affect his evaluation of guys though. He’ll overly praise guys he personally likes and wrongfully slam guys he doesn’t. He’s kinda like Orlovsky and Cowherd in that way. I still enjoy listening to all of them, but I take their over-the-top opinions with a brick of salt.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I am sorry, I would have a hard time taking him seriously even if he sounds objective. You love Hooker, this is just another thread propping Hooker up. That is fine you love him, I would too if the Colts went that direction.

But I will take the opinions of folks who do this for a living, and Leaf does not. 

Did Leaf fail in the NFL because he didn't know how to evaluate other QBs?

Your logic makes very little sense.  Following that logic, I would expect no football coaches would be successful if they didn't also have success playing first.

How many head coaches were star players in their day?

Obviously you don't have to place much value in what Leaf says but I think lack of being a star should not be much of a factor.

22 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Did Leaf fail in the NFL because he didn't know how to evaluate other QBs?

No, it is hard to put too much stock into someone who played the QB position and failed to read Ds like Peyton (or most good QBs in the NFL) did. So, how can I sit here and say that he knows to read QB film well enough to have looked deeply into how well Levis or AR played to say they are not worthy of Round 1 when others that do it for a living say they are?

That is why I said it is just one guy's opinion and one that I am not going to take seriously. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

No, it is hard to put too much stock into someone who played the QB position and failed to read Ds like Peyton did. So, how can I sit here and say that he knows to read QB film well enough to have looked deeply into how well Levis or AR played to say they are not worthy of Round 1 when others that do it for a living say they are?

That is why I said it is just one guy's opinion and one that I am not going to take seriously. 

There is a difference between knowing what to look for and actually being able to apply it with the limitations of your own abilities.

3 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

There is a difference between knowing what to look for and actually being able to apply it with the limitations of your own abilities.

Theoretically, yes but until he is a coach or a scout at the NFL level, I would have a hard time taking him seriously. The exception is those who have played the position at a high level with some longevity. You are not going to change my mind, and you probably know that. Let us just agree to disagree then.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

No, it is hard to put too much stock into someone who played the QB position and failed to read Ds like Peyton (or most good QBs in the NFL) did. So, how can I sit here and say that he knows to read QB film well enough to have looked deeply into how well Levis or AR played to say they are not worthy of Round 1 when others that do it for a living say they are?

SO only he greatest QBs of all time can evaluate talent at QB.  MMMkay.

I watched the interview and have listened to Leaf several times on other shows.  I applaud that he turned his life around and for what he’s become.  He readily admits he had the maturity of a 13 year old when he went in the league.

You can’t apply his failure as a draft pick for evidence that he’s not an effective broadcaster now.  He’s actually very good.  

As far as Richardson and Levis, chances are he’s going to be right if you just look at the history of QBs drafted in the first round.  You can’t argue with the facts.  

25 minutes ago, Nickster said:

SO only he greatest QBs of all time can evaluate talent at QB.  MMMkay.

I didn't say that. I said either you have had to be a coach or scout at NFL level OR been a good QB at NFL level with some longevity for me to take their opinions seriously, when I elaborated on my opinions.

So if you or anyone else want to take his opinion like the others, I am not standing in your way. :) 

Stroud and Young 1a or 1b, anyone can say that. Levis and AR not first round material, I have a hard time believing when pretty much most of the scouting community agree they are first round material, so excuse me if I am not taking him seriously there. Plus, it is about supply and demand. History might say that only 1 or 2 out of every 5 QBs drafted in Round 1 amount to anything. But it still doesn't prevent them being drafted in Round 1 because of demand. So, only QBs that were successful should have been drafted in Round 1 is revisionist theory, done in hindsight, IMO. Going by that, only 1 or 2 QBs will consistently be drafted in Round 1, period. A team learns to win in different ways, the QB is a bigger engine nowadays and traits based drafting is done more nowadays, IMO.

Besides, I don't wish to keep explaining my stance further than this.

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I didn't say that. I said either you have had to be a coach or scout at NFL level OR been a good QB at NFL level with some longevity for me to take their opinions seriously, when I elaborated on my opinions.

So if you or anyone else want to take his opinion like the others, I am not standing in your way. :) 

Stroud and Young 1a or 1b, anyone can say that. Levis and AR not first round material, I have a hard time believing when pretty much most of the scouting community agree they are first round material, so excuse me if I am not taking him seriously there. Plus, it is about supply and demand. History might say that only 1 or 2 out of every 5 QBs drafted in Round 1 amount to anything. But it still doesn't prevent them being drafted in Round 1 because of demand. So, only QBs that were successful should have been drafted in Round 1 is revisionist theory, done in hindsight, IMO. Going by that, only 1 or 2 QBs will consistently be drafted in Round 1, period. A team learns to win in different ways, the QB is a bigger engine nowadays and traits based drafting is done more nowadays, IMO.

Besides, I don't wish to keep explaining my stance further than this.

Chad I have no real strong idea on which QBs from this draft will become really good starters. But also don't think anyone does including the scouts and GMs and other NFL players.  Even the best of NFL minds and scouts.  There are going to be a few QBs drafted with high picks and chances are at most 1 or 2 will be close to worth it.   Obviously some people are better trained than others but QB drafting is enigmatic at the best even at the highest levels of scouting/management.  

Leaf is a media guy who played QB and more qualified than most and just because he didn't have a long, successful career doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. 

Matter of fact with a miniscule amount of exceptions, scouts, HCs, and GMs tended not to be top FB players in the league. 

That's all I'm saying.

Truth be told, Ryan leaf was suffering from undiagnosed bipolar disorder.

Had it been diagnosed and had he received medical treatment for it, he could have had a much better career.

I think he is being treated for it now.

Personally - I am surprised that he is part of the reporting media. 

In the booth - maybe - but - I really don't see NFL fans scrambling to hear his opinions about any NFL subject.  I wouldn't.

He was an average NFL quarterback - and - a hot head.

He hasn't been a scout - or - a coach at any level (that I'm aware of) - so I could care less about his ability to offer quality opinions about potential quarterback draft position.

There are just TOO MANY quality media members whose opinions I would respect.

2 hours ago, azcolt said:

Ryan Leaf has been a jacka$$ both during his short playing career and afterwards.  As long as we are listening to stupid ex-qb’s, I wonder what JaMarcus Russell thinks.

Whatever Ryan Leaf once was, he appears to have moved well past that.   He is both a fill-in host and regular guest on the Rich Eisen radio show.  A regular guest on the Dan Patrick radio shows and other top shows as well.   So people who know football use Ryan Leaf for his expertise.   You might consider giving the guy a little credit, even if you don’t like what he has to say.  

59 minutes ago, azcolt said:

For a felon with multiple convictions for all sorts of crimes, this group is very understanding.

For a bunch of anonymous keyboard warriors there sure are a lot of self righteous Church Ladies in this group.

Colin Jost Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Leaf has never been intelligent.  That has not changed.  So why anyone would care what he thinks about draft picks is beyond me.  In fact not sure why anyone cares what he thinks about anything but this is the day of media we are living in.

Btw he is correct about Richardson and the tape not matching.  So at least he looked at some film in this opinion of his.

I will close by observing that in college there is great variance with the QBs in terms of quality of the teams around them.  That matters but it is rarely considered in evaluations by most media types.  The ones who do consider it, however, are the good personnel departments around the league.

Are the Colts one such dept?  Not if they take Richardson.  He is wholly a creation of the media and workout overreactions.  Winning in the NFL requires passing game potency.  Richardson does not provide that, though he does have potential in a Ravens type usage where you use his legs to open things up.  Not how I prefer to see this offense live though.  I want to see a better wideout corps with a quality passer who can throw with anticipation.

12 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Leaf has never been intelligent.  That has not changed.  So why anyone would care what he thinks about draft picks is beyond me.  In fact not sure why anyone cares what he thinks about anything but this is the day of media we are living in.

Btw he is correct about Richardson and the tape not matching.  So at least he looked at some film in this opinion of his.

I will close by observing that in college there is great variance with the QBs in terms of quality of the teams around them.  That matters but it is rarely considered in evaluations by most media types.  The ones who do consider it, however, are the good personnel departments around the league.

Are the Colts one such dept?  Not if they take Richardson.  He is wholly a creation of the media and workout overreactions.  Winning in the NFL requires passing game potency.  Richardson does not provide that, though he does have potential in a Ravens type usage where you use his legs to open things up.  Not how I prefer to see this offense live though.  I want to see a better wideout corps with a quality passer who can throw with anticipation.

BD Leaf had a 27 Wonderlic score and the average in the NFL which is composed of mostly college grads is 20 and would be higher than the average in the general population.

not sure where you derived your Leaf is not intelligent conclusion but his intelligence is verifiably at the minimum well above average.  He has an iq equivalent of 115.  Near gifted.

He is “more intelligent” than 80% of the population.  Don’t know what you idea of intelligent is but in the top quintile would qualify as intelligent to me.

Now he is bipolar and a drug addict who hit rock bottom in prison.  Is that why you think he’s unintelligent?  Strange criteria if so.

since his imprisonment he seems to be doing pretty well.

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

BD Leaf had a 27 Wonderlic score and the average in the NFL which is composed of mostly college grads is 20 and would be higher than the average in the general population.

not sure where you derived your Leaf is not intelligent conclusion but his intelligence is verifiably at the minimum well above average.  He has an iq equivalent of 115.  Near gifted.

He is “more intelligent” than 80% of the population.  Don’t know what you idea of intelligent is but in the top quintile would qualify as intelligent to me.

Now he is bipolar and a drug addict who hit rock bottom in prison.  Is that why you think he’s unintelligent?  Strange criteria if so.

18 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

And for the record Peyton Manning had a 28 Wonderlic.  

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So he’s out of jail now? Lol

28 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I see no reason to value what the clowns and talking heads say on network tv  over what Ryan Leaf says. 

But you’d be thrilled if suddenly Ballard or Irsay or the new head coach paid attention to what fans here on this website were saying.    

Because fans know so much more than those who cover the league or those who played the game.   Who cares about them?   Actually, you care about them when they say things you agree with!  

Otherwise….   Not so much.  

6 hours ago, Nickster said:

Guys have been getting coached up on wonderlics for years.  I don't regard them as any indicator or true reflection of their mental processing capacity.

Leaf struggled to learn the QB position on the mental side as a high drafted rookie.  Struggled to interact with teammates in the locker room.  And then ended up addicted to drugs, robbing houses, and serving prison time.  You can cite whatever test metric you want but in my book he's not someone who I look at and care what he thinks.

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Guys have been getting coached up on wonderlics for years.  I don't regard them as any indicator or true reflection of their mental processing capacity.

Leaf struggled to learn the QB position on the mental side as a high drafted rookie.  Struggled to interact with teammates in the locker room.  And then ended up addicted to drugs, robbing houses, and serving prison time.  You can cite whatever test metric you want but in my book he's not someone who I look at and care what he thinks.

Somehow that's not surprising to me.  

6 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

But it’s a fallacy to say that the dude isn’t intelligent.  None of what you are saying in that paragraph has any inverse correlation to intelligence.

he’s not Einstein but he is well above average intelligence.

Archived