Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are making Ehlinger number 2 QB

Restinpeacesweetchloe

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Interesting.  Makes me wonder if Frank has a package to use Sam.

I don't know if it was a designed play or not but I remember a play in pre-season where Sam dropped back to pass and it looked like all the receivers were sent to the left.  The Oline opened up the middle and Sam ran up the middle and the whole right side of the field was open.  I think he ran it for something like 45 yards and the TD?

That's the kind of thing that that can get a defense out of their comfort zone.  If Frank can do those types of plays with Sam he becomes more than just a gadget guy and more valuable when he comes in.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I very much like the move

I dont believe that Sam E is the long term answer..... but I would happily LOVE to be proven wrong

A dumb question.......   Lets say Ryan retired after the 1 season (Like Philip Rivers)

How much are the Colts on the hook for?

I would like to see Ryan get an actual chance (with full blocking) but I think everyone sees a talent slide

Does that slide more after this year?

We will see

It does seem Colts fans are a little slow at realizing how bad this situation is.  It's the worst offense in the league and Ryan has been horrible.  If his play doesn't improve, if he doesn't stop turning the ball over, he will get benched.  It's just a matter of when.  If they somehow manage to stay at .500, they might stick with him longer.  If they lose several in a row, they might not.

6 hours ago, coming on strong said:

sam is clearly being positioned to take over the offense when matt ryan fails .    its the same thing the eagles did by drafting hurts , the time will come when sam is the starter .       hopefully we can trade ryan this offseason even if we have to give up a draft pick to off load his cap hit .   maybe we can fleece the redskins again after wentz is cut

I guess you dont know Ryan has a no-trade clause.

This is probably how it should have been from the start.  Foles is only here if Ryan has to  miss a start.  If Ryan gets hurt in a game Sam can finish the game and they can go to Foles the following week if they have too.  Sam gives you the advantage of being able to do different things with that Ryan and Foles just physically can’t do that might help keep other teams off balance.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

It does seem Colts fans are a little slow at realizing how bad this situation is.  It's the worst offense in the league and Ryan has been horrible.  If his play doesn't improve, if he doesn't stop turning the ball over, he will get benched.  It's just a matter of when.  If they somehow manage to stay at .500, they might stick with him longer.  If they lose several in a row, they might not.

Yep.  My post on the previous page said a lot of the same things.  This has more to do with the overall poor play of the offense than it does installing Sam for a few gimmick plays.   If Sam is showing to be the quickest reading quickest throwing QB in practice, he might get more playing time in games if the offense is struggling under Ryan.

We typically only activate two QBs for game day.  Sam may be trending upwards in terms of playing time.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  My post on the previous page said a lot of the same things.  This has more to do with the overall poor play of the offense than it does installing Sam for a few gimmick plays.   If Sam is showing to be the quickest reading quickest throwing QB in practice, he might get more playing time in games if the offense is struggling under Ryan.

We typically only activate two QBs for game day.  Sam may be trending upwards in terms of playing time.

I said when they traded Wentz, I would have went with Sam for the year. The thing is Ballard is arrogant.

He buys into the media hype that he is a top GM and is always a qb away from wining it all.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You are correct and wrong at the same time. If the offense wasn’t struggling we wouldn’t be seeing this. But it’s also just a good idea in general to do this to add some unpredictability to the offense. 

If the OL continues to look like cheesecloth Ryan won't last through the punishment let alone the impact on his morale of getting chased every game like the bunny at a greyhound track. I posted earlier the Colts have scored a total of 10 points in the first quarters of the first five games. Put Sam in the first quarter at least.

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

If the OL continues to look like cheesecloth Ryan won't last through the punishment let alone the impact on his morale of getting chased every game like the bunny at a greyhound track. I posted earlier the Colts have scored a total of 10 points in the first quarters of the first five games. Put Sam in the first quarter at least.

And if I recollect correctly all 10 first quarter points were in the first game. 

8 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yeah people are over reacting to the Ehlinger is now QB2 headline a little bit.  I mean technically I guess he is but it’s more about giving the Colts one more weapon on offense.  I look at it like when Winston was with the Saints behind Brees with Hill on the roster.  Winston was the back up QB if something happened to Bress but they would use Hill as another weapon so he saw the field more than Winston.  That didn’t mean Hill was QB 2.  Samething with the Colts.  Foles is here incase something happens to Ryan but that’s all he’s here for.  Ehlinger can be the Colts Hill where he can do things that Ryan and Foles can’t so it makes sense for him to be the second dressed QB if Ryan is healthy over Foles.  With that said if something happens to Ryan it’s going to be Foles who starts the next game in all likely hood.

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Explain the 'it' factor??

When he was drafted, the Colts explained his “it” factor this way….

Leader of men.   Gets the most out of himself and his teammates.   One of the winningest QBs in school history.   Doesn’t always look pretty doing it, but finds a way to get the job done.   Super high character.   

High floor, but probably not a high ceiling type of player.   Might eventually be a very good backup.   Could surprise with more, but it shouldn’t be expected.   But as a 6th round draft pick, that’s ok. 

This makes me really happy. I am a big Ehlinger supporter because he is the one ray of hope our franchise has. Now we are in a win win scenario. If Ryan steps up and plays better, I'm good. If not, we'll get to see what Sam is made of which will make watching Colts football exciting again for at least a couple games.

6 hours ago, coming on strong said:

sam needs to start he has the same IT factor chad kelly has .    i called this last year that sam will be that guy very soon

Chad Kelly has such the "IT" factor that no team in the NFL thinks enough of him to have him on their roster or practice squad lol

7 hours ago, J@son said:

Chad Kelly has such the "IT" factor that no team in the NFL thinks enough of him to have him on their roster or practice squad lol

because he didnt have the mental power to work hard to get better .  he had the talent the difference is sam has the ability to work on his craft and get better .

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

When he was drafted, the Colts explained his “it” factor this way….

Leader of men.   Gets the most out of himself and his teammates.   One of the winningest QBs in school history.   Doesn’t always look pretty doing it, but finds a way to get the job done.   Super high character.   

High floor, but probably not a high ceiling type of player.   Might eventually be a very good backup.   Could surprise with more, but it shouldn’t be expected.   But as a 6th round draft pick, that’s ok. 

Wasn't some guy named Brady a sixth round pick?

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Explain the 'it' factor??

The "it" factor is when you know a player is going to be great by the eye test by how hard he plays and wins. No stats involved, no Combine, etc.. Look at Terry Bradshaw, he looks like a truck driver that chews tobacco, and drinks a 6 pack every a day but he had the "it" factor, does that help.

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

Well, now it is six straight games the Colts have not scored a point in the first quarter. Trailing Jacksonville at the end of the first half.

We have the script every week in the 1Q, or even 1H... 

At least we went with tempo this week. Same script though. 

Nice move pulling Raimann early. 

Archived