Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are making Ehlinger number 2 QB

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

You feel good about the Colts playoff chances, so be it. I’m not seeing it. 

Kudos to the defense, but the offense is dead last in scoring. 

There are very few dynamic players on a team carefully constructed the last 6 years. 

I never said I feel good. but the record at least gives them a chance e to fix things and stay in the race. They did this with Jacoby in 2020. A lot of people have mentioned this since TC. 

Just now, Indy87 said:

The Texan doesn’t have to be moved up the depth chart to be used in certain situations. He may have actually won the job. 

Yeah your right. They could of just made Foles a healthy scratch.  With injuries they may feel they want the extra roster spot and didn’t want Sam to go through waivers too. Plus Foles can go right to the PS.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Not really a big deal for me.  If he comes in for a wildcat play teams will be ready for that.  I think it’s more likely they don’t want three quarterbacks on the active roster any longer and will release Foles or put him on the practice squad.  

Holder already said it was to take advantage of his mobility and add some different plays to offense. But just because they say that doesn’t mean that’s the entire truth. But it is most likely the obvious reason.

50 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This is a great point by Destin here. Also they could put Foles right on the PS with him being a vet.

Foles isn't going to be released and isn't going to the PS.

If we released Foles right now, he would cost us $1.5m more this season than we are paying him.($4.1m dead cap)

He can be cut next year and save $2m against the cap. Even more with post June 1st cut

Personally I would like to trade him for anything.

6th for Foles and 7th.

If we trade him we are off the hook for all money except $100k workout bonus.

No signing bonus, just guarantees.

I think there is a team out there that would do that. Hell the Bears should consider it as well. 

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

If we released Foles right now, he would cost us $1.5m more this season than we are paying him.($4.1m dead cap)

He can be cut next year and save $2m against the cap. Even more with post June 1st cut

6th for Foles and 7th.

I think there is a team out there that would do that. Hell the Bears should consider it as well. 

Like he said there it could be they think they need a roster spot. Probably not but it’s a possibility. And they don’t want to release Sam.

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

6th for Foles and 7th.

I’m thinking making this change now might generate some trade interest in Foles before the deadline.

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

It also has me thinking the team may no longer feel able to hold 3 QBs and we may hear that Foles is being released and they’ve decided to go with Ehlinger as the loan backup for Ryan.

Think he means lone (as in only) backup as opposed to loan (temporary) backup...but I could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

6th for Foles and 7th.

Would love to see a trade.

Not sure Chicago is the spot though given his history there. Unless Flus tried a different approach. 

If they are trying to move him, likely they are trying to add someone. We have 6+ M in space now. 

If  sportrac is correct, a simple release gives us 2+M back (in manage roster page).

Doesn't specify release or trade, just when the X is hit. 

22 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Holder already said it was to take advantage of his mobility and add some different plays to offense. But just because they say that doesn’t mean that’s the entire truth. But it is most likely the obvious reason.

Yeah if you believe that, I have some oceanfront property for sale In Kansas for cheap

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I’m thinking making this change now might generate some trade interest in Foles before the deadline.

It should IMO, as well.

There is teams that could use a QB whether being a backup or potential starter.

Starter -

Panthers

Backup - 

Cardinals

49ers

Rams

Bears

Few other possibilities potentiality as well.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure Chicago is the spot though given his history there. Unless Flus tried a different approach. 

If they are trying to move him, likely they are trying to add someone. We have 6+ M in space now. 

If  sportrac is correct, a simple release gives us 2+M back (in manage roster page).

Gives us 2 million next year on release.

$4.1m dead cap on release this season. Only counts against for $2.6m now.

10 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Yeah I don't know which he meant there.

Probably would go with he meant lone.

Anyway, only thing I focused on, was the talk of a release. It just isn't going to happen this season.

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

I like this move, especially when the Colts are out of the playoffs mathematically.

I don't think that means what you seem to think it does :) (but yeah they aren't a playoff caliber team to say the least) 

If the next few weeks go as the ones so far have, I have no problem starting Ehlinger to see what he's got. And possibly saving Matt Ryan's life in the process. Otherwise this is a yawn.

I mean Foles hasn’t played one snap so there is no way he lost his job. So having Sam in there for maybe 5 snaps a game will add something different.  If the offense wasn’t struggling we wouldn’t even be seeing this. The possibility is there that they want to trade Foles but it’s small. Second he is a vet so if they want the roster spot putting him on the PS instead of Sam makes sense. Your paying him either way the same  amount. Not everything has some alterior motive.

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

What’s so unbelievable about it. I have seen  A lot of people mention we should do this clear back in camp. It makes sense. It’s actually a good idea.

Simply cause such plays are obvious as heck and rarely work

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If they are trying to move him, likely they are trying to add someone.

Just fresh off that Bears game.....ewww. And that was like "good" Justin Fields. Lol.

I don't know if it means we are looking to add anyone else. Potentially?

I would just see it as gaining some draft capital and a little bit of money for a guy we don't need. At least at the moment.

If Ryan was to go down, would much rather see what Sam could do in live action.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I mean Foles hasn’t played one snap so there is no way he lost his job. So having Sam in there for maybe 5 snaps a game will add something different.  If the offense wasn’t struggling we wouldn’t even be seeing this. The possibility is there that they want to trade Foles but it’s small. Second he is a vet so if they want the roster spot putting him on the PS instead of Sam makes sense. Your paying him either way the same  amount. Not everything has some alterior motive.

You don’t know what they see in practice either. Never know

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

he has played snaps. in practice? i dont get your logic and fascination with a brian hoyer type of talent. 

and no one wants foles, so how are they going to trade him?

I said it the other day.  I'm starting to think that Ehlinger seeing the field and playing well might be the only way Frank keeps his job, and if Ryan were to get hurt or benched, there would be no benefit to the organization in going with Foles.  Might as well see if Sam has something. I wouldn't worry about his youth and inexperience.  At 37, Ryan has looked like a lost rookie at times.  Not sure Sam could do much worse.

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think they are trying to move him and get some extra space to add someone.  Just makes the most sense near the deadline.  They have gained confidence in Sam to do it.  There mission is still to make the playoffs and then anything could happen.

17 minutes ago, w87r said:

It should IMO, as well.

There is teams that could use a QB whether being a backup or potential starter.

Starter -

Panthers

Backup - 

Cardinals

49ers

Rams

Bears

Few other possibilities potentiality as well.

Gives us 2 million next year on release.

$4.1m dead cap on release this season. Only counts against for $2.6m now.

The application (assuming is current cap) shows 1.5M saving. 

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

Just fresh off that Bears game.....ewww. And that was like "good" Justin Fields. Lol.

I don't know if it means we are looking to add anyone else. Potentially?

I would just see it as gaining some draft capital and a little bit of money for a guy we don't need. At least at the moment.

If Ryan was to go down, would much rather see what Sam could do in live action.

I'd dump Foles regardless lol. 

But given comments (about Foles and QB2 position) by the org, I'd find it odd if we just moved him, then did nothing. 

And ewwww is right lol

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

The possibility is there that they want to trade Foles but it’s small. Second he is a vet so if they want the roster spot putting him on the PS instead of Sam makes sense. Your paying him either way the same  amount. Not everything has some alterior motive.

Why are you acting like we can just put Foles on PS without releasing him? And being able to be able to pay him the same amount.

None of that is true.

He has to be released, which would cost Colts $4.1m dead cap this year, instead of his $2.6m cap hit. Then we could resign him but he would make even more money from the PS.

He is not getting released and he is not going to our PS.

Was a horrible take by Destin, and bad double/triple down by you.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think they are trying to move him and get some extra space to add someone.  Just makes the most sense near the deadline.  They have gained confidence in Sam to do it.  There mission is still to make the playoffs and then anything could happen.

I find it all strange TBH lol...

I could see several narratives. It doesn't scream "mission to make playoffs" to me though. 

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'd dump Foles regardless lol. 

But given comments (about Foles and QB2 position) by the org, I'd find it odd if we just moved him, then did nothing. 

And ewwww is right lol

I don't know if we are trying to move him or not? It could make some sense(cents) though.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Why are you acting like we can just put Foles on PS without releasing him? And being able to be able to pay him the same amount.

None of that is true.

He has to be released, which would cost Colts $4.1m dead cap this year, instead of his $2.6m cap hit. Then we could resign him but he would make even more money from the PS.

He is not getting released and he is not going to our PS.

Was a horrible take by Destin, and bad double/triple down by you.

He is a vet. Vets can agree to be released and sign right back to PS. No waivers.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He is a vet. Vets can agree to be released and sign right back to PS. No waivers.

Key word bolded

Not that hard to understand, but I will still be here if you want to come back for a 5th time with that.

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

Key word bolded

Not that hard to understand, but I will still be here if you want to come back for a 5th time with that.

He has his family settled here. He could want to stay. I am not saying that this will happen just saying it’s possible if they want the roster spot. There isn’t anything crazy about thinking that’s a possibility and I think it offensive you are coming at me.

Archived