Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our there any players we could trade for first rounder

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Doesn’t have to be a first. Just trying to figure  out how we can get more picks in the first 3 rounds.

No.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Do we have any players we can trade for a 1st round pick or even a higher second pick?

None that we could easily replace. Plus there’s cap hits to be considered too

Never really seen the value in those sort of trades myself for the team losing the player...... essentially you're giving up a valuable player you know is worth a first and delivers on the field for the chance of maybe hitting it lucky with a first round pick. I understand if there are cap issues involved but not when it's just giving up a valuable player for the sake of getting a first. 

I LOVE Nelson (I have his jersey). I love his physicality and mentality. He is a game changer at times. He has made being an Olineman cool again.

BUT. I think the Colts have to explore trading him. If they can get a 1st and more, it may be too hard to pass up. Here is why.

1.) His physical health declined a bit. He had a ton of back and ankle issues this year. I think he went out of multiple games. I don’t think his career is going to be a long one

2.) The salary for him is going to be huge

3.) Honestly didn’t see a huge drop in performance when Reed took his spot

4.) With Nelson in, the offensive line still had their 2 worst performances of the season the last 2 games.

5.) Probably top 3 players the Colts can get the most for and his contact is about to expire.

25 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Kelly could probably fetch a 3rd

At first I thought yeah probably, but I wonder.

Kelly’s more than solid, one of the better centers in the league, but it seems like teams value their rounds 1-3 picks a lot. He’s 28 (not super old, not young either) and while not injury prone, has picked up quite a few minor injuries including that shoulder. Trying to imagine a team with a terrible OL, like the Dolphins, but I could see them being hesitant on that. For a super late third, for a competitive team in desperate need of one, probably a different story.

Could be way off on that though. And not that I’m advocating trading him, just interesting to think about his value.

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

At first I thought yeah probably, but I wonder.

Kelly’s more than solid, one of the better centers in the league, but I think teams value their rounds 1-3 picks a lot. He’s not super young and while not injury prone, has picked up quite a few minor injuries including that shoulder. Trying to imagine a team with a terrible OL, like the Dolphins, but I could see them being hesitant on that. 

Could be way off on that though. And not that I’m advocating trading him, just interesting to think about his value.

No, you could be correct. Trade value is a tricky thing. As you know It differs from team to team. 

47 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Potentially trading Nelson for a 1st should be discussable. They wouldn't do it and I'm not sure what other team would want to do that either, but it should be discussable. So should moving him to tackle.

i would only do it if was a QB stacked draft which it is a weak draft .  maybe if a team trades a 2023 1st and its a bad team  but i doubt they would do that anyway .   nelson has one year left so a team could just wait for him to be a free agent if the colts wanted to trade him

the sad truth is we might have to blow the whole team up in a couple years anyway if we cant find a decent QB .   i dont know how many 500 seasons jim will take .    grigson had two 8-8  season after going to the playoffs three straight times and getting to the afc championship game .   jim likes to be patient but he will blow this operation up if the colts dont make the playoffs next year or 2023

26 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

I LOVE Nelson (I have his jersey). I love his physicality and mentality. He is a game changer at times. He has made being an Olineman cool again.

BUT. I think the Colts have to explore trading him. If they can get a 1st and more, it may be too hard to pass up. Here is why.

1.) His physical health declined a bit. He had a ton of back and ankle issues this year. I think he went out of multiple games. I don’t think his career is going to be a long one

2.) The salary for him is going to be huge

3.) Honestly didn’t see a huge drop in performance when Reed took his spot

4.) With Nelson in, the offensive line still had their 2 worst performances of the season the last 2 games.

5.) Probably top 3 players the Colts can get the most for and his contact is about to expire.

Makes perfect sense.

...trade a future hall of famer for an unknown . I wish you guys were GMs...lol

I don’t think you can explore trading a player like Nelson just because we need more picks. There’s got to be a better reasoning when you trade a player of that caliber, because that wouldn’t sit right in a locker room.

What message does it send if you trade a pillar and culture changer on your team to make up for the pick you lost for a QB who  underwhelmed? 

When you trade talented players it has to be for a serious cap issue, a change in scheme that makes the player obsolete, or a character issue. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Quenton Nelson, Darius Leonard, Jonathan Taylor. That's it.

We will not have a first round pick this year unless we give up picks from 2023. Just accept it.

You wouldn’t get a 1st rounder for Darius and his contract.  Not sure about a year of Nelson with big money coming due.  JT would do it mist likely.

Remember when we traded for DeFo for a 1st?  The reality of a perennial pro bowler is a heck of a lot better than the dream of some unknown 1st Round pick who, if we’re lucky will eventually play to the level of a DeFo or Q.    When you have a team with talent to compete now (unless it’s Jax), you don’t trade your studs for a pick that might develop in a couple years.

36 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Makes perfect sense.

...trade a future hall of famer for an unknown . I wish you guys were GMs...lol

Relax….

Said I would “explore” training him for a first and more.

I wouldn’t give him up for just a first rounder. That wouldn’t make sense. But if a team dangles a proven good player and a first, there’s got to be a chance.

Oh and I think my points were pretty valid.

34 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Don't look forward to a 1st rounder this year, and you won't be disappointed.

It's gonna be a FA year, I do believe, though I still don't think we'll go nuts.

Yeah, that is the thing. We get FAs who use us to get the best price in the market. If we couldn't attract too many free agents during the Luck era, it is not going to be easy for us in the Wentz era too. That means you have to hit in the draft at a very high rate, not easy.

Another trade I did think about - trade down from pick No.47 and get the Giants picks No.67 and No.81 (pretty much equal value) thus giving us 3 third round picks No.67, No.81 and No.82. 

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t think you can explore trading a player like Nelson just because we need more picks. There’s got to be a better reasoning when you trade a player of that caliber, because that wouldn’t sit right in a locker room.

What message does it send if you trade a pillar and culture changer on your team to make up for the pick you lost for a QB who  underwhelmed? 

When you trade talented players it has to be for a serious cap issue, a change in scheme that makes the player obsolete, or a character issue. 

Quit making sense on this forum!

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Quenton Nelson, Darius Leonard, Jonathan Taylor. That's it.

We will not have a first round pick this year unless we give up picks from 2023. Just accept it.

Honestly I am not sure u can get a 1st for any of those players based on  the position they play and their current and future contracts.

11 minutes ago, fatboy said:

Remember when we traded for DeFo for a 1st?  The reality of a perennial pro bowler is a heck of a lot better than the dream of some unknown 1st Round pick who, if we’re lucky will eventually play to the level of a DeFo or Q.    When you have a team with talent to compete now (unless it’s Jax), you don’t trade your studs for a pick that might develop in a couple years.

Another person that is logical and makes sense. No room for that nonsense on this forum pal! Knock it off or you'll get yourself banned.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I was just trying to think how we could get more draft picks. But good points above how trading a proven player for a guy in the draft is probably not smart.

Yeah, thank goodness we have some wise fans to talk sense into us when we go off the tracks, LOL. :D

Excellent points @Defjamz26, @DoubleE Colt, @cdgacoltsfan and @fatboy - thanks for keeping our knee jerk emotions in check, more like "snap out of it". :thmup:

I did mention giving up pick No.47 to get picks No.67 and No.81 above, giving us 67, 81 and 82. Knowing Ballard, that is more likely and when you are picking in that range, he likes more shots at the dart board, and I don't think there will be a shortage of good players in that range.

Archived