Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our there any players we could trade for first rounder

Restinpeacesweetchloe

43 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You wouldn’t get a 1st rounder for Darius and his contract.  Not sure about a year of Nelson with big money coming due.  JT would do it mist likely.

The Colts aren't trading Leonard, nor do I necessarily want them to (I'd consider it for the right offer). But his contract is not a deterrent to a team trading for him; it's more of a deterrent against us trading him.

Leonard's cap hit in 2022 is $10.9m. If the Colts traded Leonard prior to 6/1, the 2022 cap penalty would be $16m. If they traded him after 6/1, the 2022 cap penalty would be $4m, and the 2023 cap penalty would be $12m. 

If a team traded for him in 2022, his cap hit for the new team would be $6.9m in 2022, $16.3m in 2023. For a (likely) four time All Pro LB who forces a lot of turnovers. 

i really dont like the idea of paying a ton of cash to a LG.  it will probably happen though and then become even harder to fill the important positions with good players

he may be the best LG ever, but what have we won with him?  i would listen to trades if he doesn't want to move to tackle 

Doubt we can trade back into 1st round  and I would not trade Nelson.  I like our depth  on OL with Pinter and Reed. I would think either of these would be replacement for Glo.  Pinter played well for  Kelly.   we need a LT. Not sure if Fisher is a guy to count on. I like Prior but see him as. a super sub at Guard or tackle.   I would hope we can find some help for tackle but it likely will not be in draft.

I think team has to be active in FA market this year. Focus needs to be on WR/TE  and secondary. FA market might fill some of those holes. Draft will need to produce 1-2 difference makes for next year. Team has nucleus. We need to get deeper in positions where lack of production - primarily due to injuries exposed our flaws. Receivers and  CB/S slots were biggest weaknesses this year. I hope pass rush will improve but I would not mind if we can find a pass rush option in FA market to help young guys out. I would expect Dayo, Paye, and hopefully Turay/Lewis will be bigger options for us on pass rush next year. I like our interior Dline with Buck, Grover, and others.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Hey, Giants have picks No.5 and No.7, followed by No.36 and No.67. I would take pick No.36 and No.67 for Big Q and thus have 4 picks in Rounds 2 and 3. That would amount to a late 1st rounder (No.22), the combination of 36 and 67, IMO while the Giants get to keep picks No.5 and No.7.

They need OL help in a bad way, the Giants. I think it might work, as much as Colts fans may not want it to happen. Just 1 situation I am pointing out. 

Here is the flawed reasoning with this and darn near every trade proposal being made........the first thing you have to ask yourself is this, how are you going to replace the player and their production/skill level?

Nelson - He is a generational talent at OLine - not gonna happen

Leonard - Highly doubtful that you can replace what he brings to the Colts in terms of production and leadership.

Taylor - A back that is 80% as good as him could thrive in our offense (See Mack, Marlin) so it's plausible. But why trade the face of the franchise "just to get more picks"? Plus, he was a 2nd round pick for a reason, teams shied away from his usage in college and now he's got two years of traction in the NFL....

Buckner - The 49ers defense took a step back without him when they essentially swapped him for a rookie. Our defense would crumble without him.

Outside of those fella's we have nobody worthy of being traded for a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick......sorry, not necessarily poo pooing on you in particular, just being realistic!

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Here is the flawed reasoning with this and darn near every trade proposal being made........the first thing you have to ask yourself is this, how are you going to replace the player and their production/skill level?

Nelson - He is a generational talent at OLine - not gonna happen

Leonard - Highly doubtful that you can replace what he brings to the Colts in terms of production and leadership.

Taylor - A back that is 80% as good as him could thrive in our offense (See Mack, Marlin) so it's plausible. But why trade the face of the franchise "just to get more picks"? Plus, he was a 2nd round pick for a reason, teams shied away from his usage in college and now he's got two years of traction in the NFL....

Buckner - The 49ers defense took a step back without him when they essentially swapped him for a rookie. Our defense would crumble without him.

Outside of those fella's we have nobody worthy of being traded for a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick......sorry, not necessarily poo pooing on you in particular, just being realistic!

I was just knee jerking there, entertaining that thought but in retrospect, NOT a good idea on my part at all!!! It would be 1 step forward, 5 steps backwards!!! :) 

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I was just knee jerking there, entertaining that thought but in retrospect, NOT a good idea on my part at all!!! It would be 1 step forward, 5 steps backwards!!! :) 

I know, that is why I said not poo pooing on you but this time of year there are some knee jerk reactions and we all tend to have recency bias! LOL

My only proposal right now is hand Marcus Brady the play calling duties and have Frank just make the big decisions - which I think he would do better at since he's not caught up in the chess match and emotions of playcalling......

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Hey, Giants have picks No.5 and No.7, followed by No.36 and No.67. I would take pick No.36 and No.67 for Big Q and thus have 4 picks in Rounds 2 and 3. That would amount to a late 1st rounder (No.22), the combination of 36 and 67, IMO while the Giants get to keep picks No.5 and No.7.

They need OL help in a bad way, the Giants. I think it might work, as much as Colts fans may not want it to happen. Just 1 situation I am pointing out. 

That would be a slap in the face.  Trade Nelson for two 2nd rounders when we could've traded the pick we used for him for 2 1st rounders, picks 12 and 23 to Buffalo, so the rumor goes.

But two seconds is about what his value is, considering the next team would have to shell out big bucks and a cap hit after next season.

But I don't think that picks 12 and 23 worked out anyway.  Which is why an established player is usually better to have than a college prospect.

Wonder who people want to replace Wentz?  Hmmm.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That would be a slap in the face.  Trade Nelson for two 2nd rounders when we could've traded the pick we used for him for 2 1st rounders, picks 12 and 23 to Buffalo, so the rumor goes.

But two seconds is about what his value is, considering the next team would have to shell out big bucks and a cap hit after next season.

But I don't think that picks 12 and 23 worked out anyway.  Which is why an established player is usually better to have than a college prospect.

Wonder who people want to replace Wentz?  Hmmm.

Russell Wilson

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I did mention giving up pick No.47 to get picks No.67 and No.81 above, giving us 67, 81 and 82. Knowing Ballard, that is more likely and when you are picking in that range, he likes more shots at the dart board, and I don't think there will be a shortage of good players in that range.

I would make that trade, and not for dart board strategy.

Good zone corners, TEs, safeties, reliable WRs, good interior OL and DL, ILBs, can be gotten from pick 65 to pick 90.  In fact, that's usually the sweet spot for those positions.

We need a 1st for the LT, playmaking WR, or QB.

I would not trade a player who was a first round pick, or is worth a first round pick, just to get a player with a first round pick.

I know, I know, what about the Herschel Walker trade?

Ok.  If somebody wants to offer us 13 total players, including 3 1st's and 3 2nd's for JT, I'll listen.  But outside of that, no.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

The Colts aren't trading Leonard, nor do I necessarily want them to (I'd consider it for the right offer). But his contract is not a deterrent to a team trading for him; it's more of a deterrent against us trading him.

Leonard's cap hit in 2022 is $10.9m. If the Colts traded Leonard prior to 6/1, the 2022 cap penalty would be $16m. If they traded him after 6/1, the 2022 cap penalty would be $4m, and the 2023 cap penalty would be $12m. 

If a team traded for him in 2022, his cap hit for the new team would be $6.9m in 2022, $16.3m in 2023. For a (likely) four time All Pro LB who forces a lot of turnovers. 

Uh huh.  I can’t imagine a team giving up much for an 80 million dollar left on contract will with pff grades in the 70s the last 3 years when most of that grade comes from punching the ball who is mediocre in coverage. RBs will and seemingly already have adjusted to the punch.

It just doesn’t happen.

He’s a good player but not that kind of player.  Teams covet high draft picks because of cap numbers.  After his 1st or 2nd cheap year sure but not now.

there is a sucker born every minute though.  So it’s possible.

BTW that was an awesome INT v LV.  Great great job reading the QBs eyes.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

I’ll just say I am glad Ballard is the General Manger and not the message board. 

18 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Do we have any players we can trade for a 1st round pick or even a higher second pick?

I’d trade Wentz since his receivers, and offensive line, and Taylor, and offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator, and head coach/play caller all let him down and held him back.  Let him go somewhere where he can be the mvp that everyone here stopped him from being.  He’s surely worth a 1st right?

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kelly brings an $11 mill dead cap hit.   I think we have him for at least one more year. 

What the next team pays him would be subtracted correct?

The next question needs to be, could Pinter beat him out of his job?
  JMO that Q has helped mask some Kelly issues with power.

19 hours ago, chad72 said:

are u crazy ?

14 hours ago, Nickster said:

Uh huh.  I can’t imagine a team giving up much for an 80 million dollar left on contract will with pff grades in the 70s the last 3 years when most of that grade comes from punching the ball who is mediocre in coverage. RBs will and seemingly already have adjusted to the punch.

It just doesn’t happen.

He’s a good player but not that kind of player.  Teams covet high draft picks because of cap numbers.  After his 1st or 2nd cheap year sure but not now.

there is a sucker born every minute though.  So it’s possible.

BTW that was an awesome INT v LV.  Great great job reading the QBs eyes.

We disagree on Leonard. 

Doesn't really matter. The point of my post was that those are the only players you can even have this conversation about, and they are the fundamental players on the team, so they aren't going anywhere.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

What the next team pays him would be subtracted correct?

The next question needs to be, could Pinter beat him out of his job?
  JMO that Q has helped mask some Kelly issues with power.

I don’t think that’s correct about the cap hit.  

I think Kelly played badly hurt this year.   I would not be surprised if he gets surgery on it this off-season.   I think he gets another year and then we’ll see.   Pinter may or may not take over for Glow?   Hard to tell now, everything changed in the last two weeks.   But I do think Pinter eventually becomes a starter for us.   Not a question of if, only a matter of when.  22 or 23. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

We disagree on Leonard. 

Doesn't really matter. The point of my post was that those are the only players you can even have this conversation about, and they are the fundamental players on the team, so they aren't going anywhere.

Right on.  we agree that  we have no viable trade bait that would bring 1st round picks.  We get there from different angles but I think our conclusions are similar. 

Archived