Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz scares me big time

bleed blue4life

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

anyone else? Man stop throwing into triple coverage .throw it away and move on the next play.

Meh. Not tonight. We slayed the wicked witch, go and enjoy the win. We’ve not beaten the Patriots in 12 freaking years and some people want to complain about one dumb decision that had little impact overall.

He tries to force the ball sometimes, especially at times when he just doesn't have to force it against the better teams we play against.

But to be very fair, he has had a low amount of turnovers this year. 

I really want to see him with some upgraded weapons and a full offseason next year.

Can we have a WR that can put on the jets, stop on a dime for an easy comeback route like the Marvin days? I miss that. I thought we should have gotten easy YAC plays with crossing routes with TY and others to keep Wentz loose.

Thankfully Mac Jones crapped the bed through 3 quarters. I was waiting for the QB sneak from Mac Jones and it never came. I was waiting for the pick routes from McDaniels, it never came. I thought McDaniels underwhelmed with his play calling, especially in the first half. Not his fault Mac Jones threw those INTs to Leonard and Okereke.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Can we have a WR that can put on the jets, stop on a dime for an easy comeback route like the Marvin days? I miss that. I thought we should have gotten easy YAC plays with crossing routes with TY and others to keep Wentz loose.

Thankfully Mac Jones crapped the bed through 3 quarters. I was waiting for the QB sneak from Mac Jones and it never came. I was waiting for the pick routes from McDaniels, it never came. I thought McDaniels underwhelmed with his play calling, especially in the first half. Not his fault Mac Jones threw those INTs to Leonard and Okereke.

Well since Marvin is maybe one of the five greatest WRs to ever play the game that’s a big ask.  Don’t get me wrong the Colts clearly need another WR but guys like Marvin don’t come along very often.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Well since Marvin is maybe one of the five greatest WRs to ever play the game that’s a big ask.  Don’t get me wrong the Colts clearly need another WR but guys like Marvin don’t come along very often.

I know but the timing of the comeback route, Luck used to do with TY and if you have the speed and can play outside, people have to respect it and the ball is typically released before the WR comes out of his break. I hope that is incorporated between Wentz and his outside WRs in the future. 

Just now, CR91 said:

Wentz was fine. Honestly there were times Jackson grabbed Pitt and there was no call. That throw out on Pitt was nonsense

I wouldn’t say he was fine.  He over threw guys a couple of times and kept trying to force the ball into double and triple coverage and finally got burned on the last INT.  He probably should have thrown two more to be honest.  He struggled for sure.  To beat New England again, if the Colts see them again, he will need to be better.

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

“Mac Jones crapped the bed.”

“McDaniels underwhelmed.”

Hey, maybe both happened because our defense played great?!    Maybe Flus had a good plan and coached the heck out of this game?   Why not give our team a little credit and not just say the other guys didn’t have good games?

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t say he was fine.  He over threw guys a couple of times and kept trying to force the ball into double and triple coverage and finally got burned on the last INT.  He probably should have thrown two more to be honest.  He struggled for sure.  To beat New England again, if the Colts see them again, he will need to be better.

I'm not saying Wentz was perfect, but he made the plays he needed to make. This was Taylor's game, but Wentz made plays too. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I'm not saying Wentz was perfect, but he made the plays he needed to make. This was Taylor's game, but Wentz made plays too. 

Throwing the ball he had one nice throw to Pascal and he did find TY on a nice pass I’ll grant you that but throwing the ball I disagree on he made the plays he needed to make.  He missed Pittman twice on the first drive including a long one that would have been a big one.  He missed Mo in the endzone high on a drive that resulted in a field goal, and he tried to force the ball to Pittman on a pass that should have been picked deep in the redzone rather than taking the wide open Pascal underneath.  He had several plays he missed tonight and I think he would be the first to tell you that.  

I give him credit for what he did on the ground tonight.  The Colts don’t win without him sneaking and running at times but he was off from the start throwing.  

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Throwing the ball he had one nice throw to Pascal and he did find TY on a nice pass I’ll grant you that but throwing the ball I disagree on he made the plays he needed to make.  He missed Pittman twice on the first drive including a long one that would have been a big one.  He missed Mo in the endzone high on a drive that resulted in a field goal, and he tried to force the ball to Pittman on a pass that should have been picked deep in the redzone rather than taking the wide open Pascal underneath.  He had several plays he missed tonight and I think he would be the first to tell you that.  

I give him credit for what he did on the ground tonight.  The Colts don’t win without him sneaking and running at times but he was off from the start throwing.  

I disagree on the MAC td. It hit him in the hands and only where he can get it. As for Pitt, Jackson got away with a lot of holds that threw the timing off.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Mo pass was high on purpose so that only he could get it and he should have had it

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Mo pass was high on purpose so that only he could get it and he should have had it

It was still a little too high.  Wentz was just off tonight.  Against the leagues number one pass defense I am not overly concerned about it but he was off tonight and didn’t have a good night and the numbers back that up.

Watching on tv, you can’t see if the receivers are getting open quickly or not. It seems like he holds the ball a long time, is it the receivers or him not making quick reads. It seems like other teams receivers are open faster and more often than ours are. I thought wentz was outplayed by a rookie Saturday. One bad read and a blocked punt and I think the pats win the game. I really like the rookie, he’s very accurate and gets rid of the ball fast. 

Unfortunately I have to agree. Wentz is slipping back into some bad tendencies. In a game where we didn't rely on him, he almost lost us the game. He is lucky he threw just one interception on those 12 passes. Easily could have had 3. Look at his mechanics on that pick. That was horrible. And that's before I even touch on the accuracy and the decision to even throw that ball in triple coverage. 

I hope this was just an off game for him... but he's had some of those this year, so I guess we will have to live with that type of game from him every third game or so... lets just hope it doesn't happen in the playoffs. 

19 minutes ago, stitches said:

Unfortunately I have to agree. Wentz is slipping back into some bad tendencies. In a game where we didn't rely on him, he almost lost us the game. He is lucky he threw just one interception on those 12 passes. Easily could have had 3. Look at his mechanics on that pick. That was horrible. And that's before I even touch on the accuracy and the decision to even throw that ball in triple coverage. 

I hope this was just an off game for him... but he's had some of those this year, so I guess we will have to live with that type of game from him every third game or so... lets just hope it doesn't happen in the playoffs. 

He also would’ve had another TD if 6’6 MAC holds on to the ball. For someone so big he plays small is critical moments.

The guy needs to stop trying to play hero ball and force the  ball into triple coverage. He needs to learn to throw the damn ball away if no one's open. I feel like every time I watch him he'll make a few solid plays, but in the back of my head, I know he's about to turn the ball over or make some sort of boneheaded play.

7 hours ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

anyone else? Man stop throwing into triple coverage .throw it away and move on the next play.

He scares the hell out of me. Every time he drops back, I involuntarily hold my breath until it's caught or falls incomplete.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

He also would’ve had another TD if 6’6 MAC holds on to the ball. For someone so big he plays small is critical moments.

I don't think it's fair to put that label on MAC. 

He has had plenty of big plays for us, many of which he used his size. I think he should have caught that, and it wasn't a bad throw by Wentz (maybe a little too much zip, but seemed to be a catchable ball).

Overall, I'm happy with Wentz this year. He didn't play great yesterday but made a few tough runs and we got the W against a tough opponent who had won 7 straight.   

My concerns yesterday were he seemed to make a few lazy throws where he didn't set his feet (fixable and my guessing is that by noon tmrw Reich and others will have chatted about this with him), he seemed to try to do too much at least twice (the int and the play where he could have easily dumped it to Pascal in the flat), and I sensed he let emotions get to him.  I understand it was a chippy game and he alluded to his private area being grabbed or punched after the game, but an NFL qb has to be able to push that aside and move to next play. It seemed like his frustration, albeit warranted if judon was grabbing his junk, was getting the better of him a few times. 

Archived