Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason Waived/Claimed by Seattle (Merge)


CR91
 Share

Recommended Posts

Now to see if he clears and gets re-signed.  My guess is he will.

Just now, colts89 said:

Whatever happened with the backup qb situation in the offseason was wacky. He lost his job to the same two players he supposedly beat. Why did he have the backup role to start?

Sam got hurt.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we all saw this coming. I wish him well. Maybe he’ll be back on our PS if he clears waivers. 
 

Sam is much more in the same mold as Wentz it seems in athleticism and play style. He makes more sense to develop as backup.
 

I’m sure there is probably more to the story than we will ever hear as well.  

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

....but his interviews after practice were so good lol.

 

But seriously it's not a surprise, colts didn't seem to think he could do the job. I was pulling for him because I like a QB with big arm strength.  

Maybe he can learn and come back....hope so, atleast somewhere. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

I think we all saw this coming. I wish him well. Maybe he’ll be back on our PS if he clears waivers. 
 

Sam is much more in the same mold as Wentz it seems in athleticism and play style. He makes more sense to develop as backup.
 

I’m sure there is probably more to the story than we will ever hear as well.  

 

I agree. Something behind the scenes? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep... very much expected this. It's obvious Frank doesn't trust him. In a weird way I feel like this is the better solution, even though I liked Eason's potential. No need to put on a facade when it's hurting the roster. If you don't trust him, just let him go and put on players that you actually feel good about playing. :dunno:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Whatever happened with the backup qb situation in the offseason was wacky. He lost his job to the same two players he supposedly beat. Why did he have the backup role to start?

Very odd. Proves to me that Ballard is alittle stubborn when it comes to cutting his losses

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the management team spoke up loud and clear:  they're interested in mobile QB's, not pocket QB's.  Period.

 

So....  Was this principle in effect when they drafted him?

 

I'd like to feel sorry for him, but I'm gonna bet that he's relieved.  He can go to a team that wants to play him.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

BahhhaaaWahhhhaaa........ :highfive2:

 

Waste of a 4th round pick on a guy I and others on here knew was terrible from the jump. 

 

That pick was a total headscratcher the entire time. Never made sense based on type of offense Frank has been running here.

 

I'm actually kind of angry about that wasted pick, amongst others as we could have selected Gabriel Davis, Darnell Mooney, or KJ Osborn instead. All of which could have helped our receiving core

9 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

LOL “You hate to see it.”

 

Wasted draft pick. You can decide whether I’m talking about Eason or Campbell.

How bout both....:thmup:

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We will see now if he clears waivers and put him on the PS. I kind of feel bad for his GF lol.  She was getting their house all nice and everything. I can’t imagine doing all that then having to pack everything up and sell it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I think the management team spoke up loud and clear:  they're interested in mobile QB's, not pocket QB's.  Period.

 

So....  Was this principle in effect when they drafted him?

 

I'd like to feel sorry for him, but I'm gonna bet that he's relieved.  He can go to a team that wants to play him.

Sam allows them to keep the same playbook if Wentz ever gets hurt. Although Hundley will still be the backup at least for now.


Another player will go this week if nelson is activated from IR.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't think Eason was making progress with his reads, that's the only thing I can come up with as to why he's fallen down the depth chart. He's actually more like Wentz as far as build and arm strength but definitely not as mobile or accurate. Sam probably has just shown more mentally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hundley is our backup now.  We don’t need Sam on the active roster.  I’m sure he would clear waivers.  He didn’t show enough in the preseason to draw a lot of attention.  He should be on the practice squad and we can protect him every week to keep a third QB on the team.  Then we can have an extra field player on the roster.  Looks like our waiver claim Davis has shown well making Williams expendable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, richard pallo said:

Hundley is our backup now.  We don’t need Sam on the active roster.  I’m sure he would clear waivers.  He didn’t show enough in the preseason to draw a lot of attention.  He should be on the practice squad and we can protect him every week to keep a third QB on the team.  Then we can have an extra field player on the roster.  Looks like our waiver claim Davis has shown well making Williams expendable.

Unless Sam is the backup and has just been hurt.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did not see this coming. I love Ehlinger, but did he or Hundley clearly outplay Eason in the preseason? Not as far as I could tell.

This is a 2-4 move.

Your starting QB has a history of injuries. If he goes down, we don't really have an established backup that would be expected to go out and win a bunch of games.

So, you roll with the younger guys, if Carson gets hurt and misses a bunch of games, you keep your number 1 pick and we lose enough to pick high.

Still. A bit weird.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Coltsfan98 said:

Don't think Eason was making progress with his reads, that's the only thing I can come up with as to why he's fallen down the depth chart. He's actually more like Wentz as far as build and arm strength but definitely not as mobile or accurate. Sam probably has just shown more mentally.

Two seperate sources who are not connected or kbkw each other both said they weren’t happy with how he was learning the playbook. I would say that is probably true since it’s two different sources saying the same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gigc said:

I did not see this coming. I love Ehlinger, but did he or Hundley clearly outplay Eason in the preseason? Not as far as I could tell.

This is a 2-4 move.

Your starting QB has a history of injuries. If he goes down, we don't really have an established backup that would be expected to go out and win a bunch of games.

So, you roll with the younger guys, if Carson gets hurt and misses a bunch of games, you keep your number 1 pick and we lose enough to pick high.

Still. A bit weird.

Like Reich said there is a lot more then just games. There is also film room, practice and how they carry themselves.

He will probably be back on the PS.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

This is not a big shock

It's a shock for sure.  Not that he was waived, but that apparently he can't retain anything over the course of a year and a half, and a rookie late rounder has surpassed him in the brains dept.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Like Reich said there is a lot more then just games. There is also film room, practice and how they carry themselves.

That must be it, as I would have liked to see him get a chance in a game. Certainly something behind the scenes for this to happen. I thought he was a steal when drafted. Again too bad it didn’t work out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

We all knew this was coming. To seperate sources that don’t know each both said he hadn’t learned the playbook well enough.

What?  You were basically Eason's... literal one hand fan club.  Now you claim "We all" knew this was coming??? 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a 4th rd pick, I'm was on board with the Colts drafting him at that point with the idea they might be able to develop his talent to match his cannon arm.  

 

Obviously he is not progressing as they expected.  Curious if he clears waivers and if so if Colts sign him to practice squad.

 

Hundley is a bad backup QB and Ehlinger has the intangibles but probably never more than NFL backup.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gigc said:

I did not see this coming. I love Ehlinger, but did he or Hundley clearly outplay Eason in the preseason? Not as far as I could tell.

This is a 2-4 move.

Your starting QB has a history of injuries. If he goes down, we don't really have an established backup that would be expected to go out and win a bunch of games.

So, you roll with the younger guys, if Carson gets hurt and misses a bunch of games, you keep your number 1 pick and we lose enough to pick high.

Still. A bit weird.

Hundley is the experienced backup.  He will be expected to go out and win.  He is it right now.   Sam has shown nothing to claim the spot over Hundley.  Sam is strictly developmental at this point.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Meanwhile, Campbell goes back on IR.  He just can't stay healthy.  Was he this fragile in college?

Nope, no real injury history in College.  We should honestly never draft a buck nut again.  One literally chose video game addiction over an NFL career....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shive changed the title to Eason Waived/Claimed by Seattle (Merge)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...