Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason Waived/Claimed by Seattle (Merge)

CR91

From the moment they drafted Eason Ballard was very weird with him. Even this year when asked if they were happy with him being the backup he said well that’s who we got. His comments on Eason have never been great and frankly they kind of surprised me. Talk about throwing players under the bus. But Wentz is healthy so who the backup is doesn’t really matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Sam sucked hind teat in the preseason lol.

You might feel that way but the Colts disagreed because they moved him up to the depth chart to the point it was a competition between him and Eason and at least a couple of people who cover the Colts for a living said they thought they the Colts were trying to talk themselves out of going with Sam as the back up.  He got hurt in the last pre-season game so we don’t really know what decision they would have made.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

From the moment they drafted Eason Ballard was very weird with him. Even this year when asked if they were happy with him being the backup he said well that’s who we got. His comments on Eason have never been great and frankly they kind of surprised me. Talk about throwing players under the bus. But Wentz is healthy so who the backup is doesn’t really matter.

If the rumors of him not learning the playbook are true that’s beyond unacceptable for a second year QB hoping to be the backup QB.  Also, not going out of his way to praise Eason isn’t throwing anyone under the bus.  Had he said yeah Jacob just isn’t there and still doesn’t know the playbook then that would have been throwing him under the bus.

7 hours ago, SchlicterSZN said:

What?  You were basically Eason's ... A literal one hand fan club.  Now you claim "We all" knew this was coming??? 

That was when we didn’t know if Wentz would be able to go game 1. Wentz is healthy and that is the ultimate goal. Once Hundley was put in as backup we all knew Eason would be released. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Two seperate sources who are not connected or kbkw each other both said they weren’t happy with how he was learning the playbook. I would say that is probably true since it’s two different sources saying the same thing.

I saw they same reports throughout the offseason. It was a good gamble with a 4th round pick, but it seems he just can't process the game.

7 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

What?  You were basically Easons Mom, Aunt, Dad, little brother,and GF all in one.... A literal one hand fan club.  Now you claim "We all" knew this was coming??? I missed when you gave up the ghost for the midget from TX.

Yes, we all saw this coming.

When Eason was a healthy scratch in favor of a QB that was brought in from the practice squad, even though Eason took the primary starting snaps in training camp, anybody with eyes could see it.  This was not a shocker.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

If the rumors of him not learning the playbook are true that’s beyond unacceptable for a second year QB hoping to be the backup QB.  Also, not going out of his way to praise Eason isn’t throwing anyone under the bus.  Had he said yeah Jacob just isn’t there and still doesn’t know the playbook then that would have been throwing him under the bus.

Well we don’t know was it a not working hard or maybe he just doesn’t have the mental capacity to retain info. Ballard said some really weird things. He didn’t have to praise him bur going that is who we have was pretty bad.

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I saw they same reports throughout the offseason. It was a good gamble with a 4th round pick, but it seems he just can't process the game.

Plus the weird thing the same rumors were going around when he had to sit a year after leaving GA. So he isn’t working hard or he just doesn’t have the brain power to retain information.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well if we're comparing him to Jacoby, Ballard oozed love for him and he couldn't play to save his life.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s fine but not giving a guy extra love isn’t the samething as throwing a guy under the bus.

True, but you have to wonder what the difference was? Work ethic? Buyers remorse? It's just weird.

Lots of injuries, they cut players at the bottom of the churn with relation to who they can and can't afford to get picked up. Eason appears to still not be ready to step in, so they likely hope he will clear waivers. 

Why does everything around here need to be so damned 100% one way or the other?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The backup QB battle of summer 2021 will join a long list of other topics in the great halls of this forum's 'much ado about nothing' section haha

There was some serious angst when Ehlinger started 'stealing' snaps from Eason.

This result was like Thanos.....inevitable.

• Haha 3

For me our QB room is set now with Wentz and Hundley.  Next year I expect we will sign another veteran to replace Hundley.  And we will have a developmental guy behind those two. Could be Eason, Sam or somebody else.  Doesn’t matter.  We are rolling with Wentz.  That was always the hope and plan.  We just need a better veteran backup.  Onward.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

True, but you have to wonder what the difference was? Work ethic? Buyers remorse? It's just weird.

Agree with the later.  Clearly something happened and we probably won’t know.  However, I was mostly just objecting to the idea they tossed Eason under the bus.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

For me our QB room is set now with Wentz and Hundley.  Next year I expect we will sign another veteran to replace Hundley.  And we will have a developmental guy behind those two. Could be Eason, Sam or somebody else.  Doesn’t matter.  We are rolling with Wentz.  That was always the hope and plan.  We just need a better veteran backup.  Onward.

Sam should be able to earn that spot next season.  He had a ton of reps in preseason. Covid probably hurt easons development. I think in the end Sams personality won over Eason. 

• Confused 2

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Hundley is the experienced backup.  He will be expected to go out and win.  He is it right now.   Sam has shown nothing to claim the spot over Hundley.  Sam is strictly developmental at this point.  

I think everybody forgets how awful Hundley has been in any game action he’s ever been given. Like Curtis Painter level awful.

1 minute ago, IndySouthsider said:

I think everybody forgets how awful Holly has been in any game action he’s ever been given. Like Curtis Painter level awful.

Oh I am not forgetting I am just hoping against hope Wentz doesn’t get hurt again or they think Sam is the backup and has just been hurt.

1 minute ago, IndySouthsider said:

I think everybody forgets how awful Holly has been in any game action he’s ever been given. Like Curtis Painter level awful.

Not saying he’s great by any means.  We signed him late in the game.  He just has more experience.  Hope we don’t need him.

• Shive changed the title to Eason Waived/Claimed by Seattle (Merge)