Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playoffs will be tough to make

Stephen

Unless the Colts really up their game, the best I see them going is 10-7.  At this point, though, it feels like 9-8 to me, which really sucks because right now the Colts should be 4-2, not 2-4.  :(

The Titans’ victory over the Bills last night really hurts the Colts’ playoff chances.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Well the Titans were playing with a back ups in the secondary and still won. The injury excuse is lame.

Having one or two guys out would be “just an excuse”. Having 5 or 6 guys out at the same time in one unit is a legit reason. 

Titans also scored 34 points. If the Colts had scored 34 against Baltimore, we would have also won. 

Just control what you can control. That said, we have 3 games left to figure out if we can make a playoff push. If it still looks bleak, I’m again thinking we bench Wentz and try to save that 1! Especially since if the season ended today, we’d have pick number 8!

Tennessee right now is a better franchise. Yes they lost to the Jets but they have a much better chance to make the playoffs. Our defense is very suspect and take our Taylor’s long run and our running game was mediocre at best. I hope the Colts go on a run but I am a realist. We too many deficiencies right now. 

No doubt that was a huge win for the Titans last night. They seem to have a formula to beat Buffalo. Possibly that formula is the beast known as Derrick Henry. Am I the only one who got a sinking feeling watching that game last night that we are not going to beat the Titans when we face them next?

26 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I’m going to enjoy the rest of the season. If we make the playoffs that’s great. Either way looks like we found our Franchise QB. Hopefully we improve the key weak areas on this team this offseason. 

This is my attitude. We really don’t have a chance of a SB anyway. I don’t care about the playoffs. I just want the colts to play well and be entertaining. Then we will see what Ballard does in the offseason.

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is my attitude. We really don’t have a chance of a SB anyway. I don’t care about the playoffs. I just want the colts to play well and be entertaining. Then we will see what Ballard does in the offseason.

I'm on the other side.   I always want to make the playoffs even if I don't think we can win the Superbowl.   There is always a chance.   Any team that is good enough to make the playoffs is good enough that if a few bounce go their way, they can win some games.  

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

Looking at schedule  I see five potential additional losses. Bucs, titans,bills, undefeated Cardinals, raiders. These doesn't count potential upsets that could occur like the Patriots game or even Trevor Lawrence having a one off good game versus us.

Titans will likely win division so we will have to be 11 and 6 or better for a wildcard

I think the Raiders will be beatable with Gruden gone as he was the play caller and mastermind behind their offense. Also with the injuries last night for the titans, we should have a lot better chance of beating them next time. 

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I think the Raiders will be beatable with Gruden gone as he was the play caller and mastermind behind their offense. Also with the injuries last night for the titans, we should have a lot better chance of beating them next time. 

Farley tore his ACL. He is done for the season.  The thing I like abort the Titans though is they work hard and are physical. They really do take on their head coaches personality. So we will see what happens. 

Really need to have a drastic improvement in certain areas especially defensively if we are to make the playoffs. The lack of any type of disruption in the passing game (low on pressure metrics and opponents passing completion %) is not sustainable when playing good competition. Thats why IMO it is kind of pointless to look at how other teams are doing now.  

We are going to have to beat a few playoff level teams in order to get into the playoffs. It is always the case regardless of schedule strength. 

This may be unjustified, but from my perspective, I am skeptical that the coaching staff and/or front office that oversees them will make or hold responsible for any changes which could potentially improve these issues 

12 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Just enjoy the team. The offense is looking good. Hopefully they can entertain us and whatever happens happens. Then the offseason hopefully Eberflus is gone and we find those few defensive pieces. The impotent thing is we should be able to pick up with this offense next season without starting over with a new QB.

FWIW, it looks like Fangio and Flores may both be out soon and looking for DC gigs. I don't remember much about Fangio's time w/ the Colts, but I actually like Flores (not sure any coach could do much w/ Miami's roster).

47 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm on the other side.   I always want to make the playoffs even if I don't think we can win the Superbowl.   There is always a chance.   Any team that is good enough to make the playoffs is good enough that if a few bounce go their way, they can win some games.  

Agree 100%.  The off-season is so long.  The last thing I want is for it to start early  in the regular season.   No one can predict how this season is going to unfold.  Try like heck to make the tournament.  Anything can happen once you are in.  

Gotta say that, 4-5 years into the process, the whole 1-0 shtick does start to wear thin.  Five years into the process you should be competing, not being happy to get incrementally better in order to beat Brissett or the Texans.  You might say well, new QB, but the QB has been the least of your problems.

I poked fun at people who said Grigson needed 8 years, an 8 year plan.  If things don't improve, we're moving into that territory once again.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Agree 100%.  The off-season is so long.  The last thing I want is for it to start early  in the regular season.   No one can predict how this season is going to unfold.  Try like heck to make the tournament.  Anything can happen once you are in.  

The worst scenario is not even being alive for the playoffs - the season being over in October or November.  I just want to stay alive and have something to be interested in until season's end.

13 minutes ago, #12. said:

The worst scenario is not even being alive for the playoffs - the season being over in October or November.  I just want to stay alive and have something to be interested in until season's end.

I'm a fan of other teams as well, so that helps me stay in it even if the Colts are not doing well.   

If we don't win the division, I would like another shot at the Ravens in a #2 vs #7 matchup, or even better hope the Chargers win the division and are the #3 seed, we matchup really well with our running game against them as a #6 seed that we can hope for. Let us see if it happens. 

Old guy wisdom here....:lecture:

At any time, the team you follow is either moving up, moving down, or stagnant. Wins are great, but I would rather have the team losing but on the way up, than winning but on the way down. One view is the now moment, the other is the future moment. 

In my view, the Colt are on their way up. They are young, with a bright future. I am actually loving the way this high character/effort group that CB has assembled is fighting through this. It is something to be proud of as a fan. The wins will come. 

But as always, enjoy/hate/be depressed(or whatever you might feel) over the current moments as you will. It is each, of our choice to make. Only you can allow circumstance to dictate your own level of enjoyment. 

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we don't win the division, I would like another shot at the Ravens in a #2 vs #7 matchup, or even better hope the Chargers win the division and are the #3 seed, we matchup really well with our running game against them as a #6 seed that we can hope for. Let us see if it happens. 

I like our chances a lot against cold weather teams like the Ravens or Bills in the playoffs.  Our strong running game and OL could be the difference in bad weather.  Just get in I and like our chances. 

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

Looking at schedule  I see five potential additional losses. Bucs, titans,bills, undefeated Cardinals, raiders. These doesn't count potential upsets that could occur like the Patriots game or even Trevor Lawrence having a one off good game versus us.

Titans will likely win division so we will have to be 11 and 6 or better for a wildcard

Im not even worried about that right now. Im concentrated on beating the 49ers and Tenn. And then we shall see from there. Tenn i think we can beat with a healthy Carson, healthy OL with Braden and Quenton back. Offense is starting to play the way we expected. And im sure some of those teams youve mentioned are on the Titans schedule. They will lose a couple of those as well.

Well we normally win one game in a surprise fashion so the Bucs or Bills could be that. I say this year we sweep the Jags for the first time since like 2013. We beat the Titans, as long as our QB can move and Frank remembers they have a running game too. Raiders, I do not expect to still be competing at that point. Cardinals, who knows, depends if Murray hits a wall for his third straight year or not, plus could be a Christmas Miracle. Texans, Jets, and Pats we need to take care of business. If not for Wentz injury, we win Rams game, and could probably the Titans. Baltimore was epic collapse. The Seahawks is the only straight lost. So the biggest wild card is injuries

Which Chargers team played the Ravens? The Ravens are hitting on al cylinders. Cleveland & Pittsburgh are all but done. KC if they make the playoffs will stall there. The Colts have put their own backs against the wall. It is too early to predict now but it is an uphill climb now.

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Which Chargers team played the Ravens? The Ravens are hitting on al cylinders. Cleveland & Pittsburgh are all but done. KC if they make the playoffs will stall there. The Colts have put their own backs against the wall. It is too early to predict now but it is an uphill climb now.

At 5-1, they are certainly in the driver's seat. I'm hoping my Bengals can give them a decent fight next weekend, but that's a tall order. Hopefully Burrow, Chase and Mixon can keep Lamar off the field long enough to score the upset!

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Farley tore his ACL. He is done for the season.  The thing I like abort the Titans though is they work hard and are physical. They really do take on their head coaches personality. So we will see what happens. 

Yeah Vrabel really gets everything out of his players, while he may be a divisional rival got to respect what he does as a coach.

17 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Just enjoy the team. The offense is looking good. Hopefully they can entertain us and whatever happens happens. Then the offseason hopefully Eberflus is gone and we find those few defensive pieces. The impotent thing is we should be able to pick up with this offense next season without starting over with a new QB.

I think we have already seen the Colts "impotent thing"...

I hate to use terms like "must win" but @SF and at home vs Tennessee are must wins. While currently in a difficult position in the standings, if the Colts get to .500 with 9 games left and even the series with Tennessee they still have a fighting chance for the division(especially with Tennessee going against the Chiefs this week).

I am glad we will know the TItans KC score before we play. Plus that game is in market for me this week. Maybe a little motivation for the colts if Titans lose. Short week for them with a beat up team.

I think our injury report should look decent this week. I think rock will be on it but we will see who else is. Willis looked much healthier this past Sunday.  Smith hopefully starts practicing too.

Looks like Baker is going to miss the game Thursday. Browns have a ton of injuries. Keep a eye out with them falling out of the playoff picture.  Things are going to change in the coming weeks so you never know what can happen. Browns and denver are both 3-3 and are playing each other. Denver is not playing well and browns have a ton of injuries. One of these teams if not both could fall out of the playoff picture. 

18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Looks like Baker is going to miss the game Thursday. Browns have a ton of injuries. Keep a eye out with them falling out of the playoff picture.  Things are going to change in the coming weeks so you never know what can happen. Browns and denver are both 3-3 and are playing each other. Denver is not playing well and browns have a ton of injuries. One of these teams if not both could fall out of the playoff picture. 

Denver isn’t a playoff team and will be irrelevant by mid season. Browns Collapse will be due to injuries and that tough AFCN. To me winner of AFCS= 4th seed. 5th seed = AFCN/AFCW= 2nd place team. That leaves 6th, 7th currently up for grabs IMO.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will need to win the division to get in IMO. WE have to hope KC beats Tennessee next week which is likely and we have to beat SF. Then the Tennessee game becomes a playoff game. We would be 3-4, they would be 4-3. If we beat them both of us are 4-4 = new season.

That’s not entirely true. Like my post above they’ll be scenarios where Colts can sneak in at the 6th, 7th seed. Currently the Steelers are the 7th seed 3-3. AFCN is going to cannibalize itself. That leaves the Raiders, Colts, Bengals, Browns competing for the last 2 spots. This is if the Colts can’t win the division.

Archived