Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How would you react?

Slick_Rick

As we all know, the Colts are one of the most classy organizations in the league, but as a fan how would you react if a scandal like bountygate or spygate was uncovered? This is strictly a "what if" scenario. Would you rally around the Colts or be ashamed?

I will wait for the facts to come out and if the facts do show my team is in the wrong, it will be a black eye for the organization and I will be ashamed of it. I will then hope the team pulls out of it as everything is transient in the NFL, no matter what the scandal is.

If something like that were to come to light, like today?

Chances are it would involve someone no longer with the organization, and could be offered as a reason for the recent house cleaning.

Beyond that, it'd depend on what the scandal was, and who it involved.

I would be shocked and hurt and call for people's heads to roll. No place in sports for that stuff. I don't want my kid watching and thinking I condone that behavior in sports or its ok as long as you get away with it. I would want consequences for the actions. Once it was cleaned up I would go back to supporing them but if they didn't..if they ignored it and continued to cover up or wouldn't apologize..I'd be done with them. I am a football fan first. I love the Colts because they are my home team...if they didn't act worthy of respect I would root for someone else.

Really good question and not sure how I would handle it for sure. Would certainly be shocked, ashamed, and outraged at those responsible and envolved. Would expect and demand punishment which is happening on an appropriate level to indivdual actions and partiipation. Feel that I would still stand behind the organization and those not involved with the scandal. You can't condemn the entire organization and eeryone for the actions of some or a few. Certainly not a fan of those in New Orleans involved in this scandal, but don't condemn the rest of the players, coaches, organization, or the community because of actions of some involved. Time will tell who and to what extent everyones envolvement was.

I would be shocked at first but then common since would kick in and I would realize these men make millions of dollars to win games if they cant get it done the owner of the team, the coach and so on look for others that can, fans cuss and all kinds of things at them when they dont get the job done, that money they make dont grow on trees and some players spend years as a backup and when they get their chance some will try to make their impact even at the expense of causing serious harm to others, money is the root of ALOT of evil (not all). how often do we all say well if I had a million dollars or "that kind of money" then......well they do have that money and some will do anything to make sure they keep that money coming in even if its a dirty way of doing it obviously with the kinda money they make a good thing to do is invest that money, open up a business, something like that to keep money coming in after retirement from the game, now Im NOT condoning anything bounty gate or spygate they were both serious crimes against the game and knowing how Goodell has already changed the rules to try to make the game less violent this could lead him to even more WORDY rules (which I hate). what the Saints did was wrong. But got to ask yourself if millions of dollars was involved, would you act as they did? Id like to say I wouldnt but temptation of certain elements for different people are just to much, we have our weaknesses, chances are for alot of us its money

As we all know, the Colts are one of the most classy organizations in the league, but as a fan how would you react if a scandal like bountygate or spygate was uncovered? This is strictly a "what if" scenario. Would you rally around the Colts or be ashamed?

Based on the way most have reacted to the team taking the opportunity to draft another 12 years of great qb play and getting us out of cap heck, I could not even imagine if something like that were to go down.

It depends on how unsportsmanlike the infraction is. If we were to pull something like NE did with harming on the integrity of the game, I would be ashamed, big time. I may even renounce my fanship. If it was a bounty system, I would also be hurt as a fan, and I would hope that the Irsay would fire him before the league would even be involved. Ultimately, I would probably still be a fan through it though.

Excellent question, I would seriously consider not being a Colts fan if something like that happened because part of the reason I am such a big Colts fan is because of the integrity the players, coaches, FO personnel and owner have shown over the years.

I do like a lot of the answers on this thread but we all know how most fans would react:

• Deny it, until it's proven.
  • Claim it was just a few people until proven otherwise
  • Claim it's not that big of a deal until the punishment is handed down by the league
  • Claim that every does it but the commissioner chose to make an example of the team because of the success they have had recently.

Depends on what it is. Something like Spygate isn't as bad as the bounty scandal (even though both are still bad); Spygate doesn't even get mentioned very much anymore whereas the bounty scandal could possibly end the career of Williams and put a permanent black eye on the Saints and Payton. When you say Patriots, Spygate isn't the first thing that comes to mind. But when you say Saints, the bounty scandal will be one of the first things that comes to mind. With that said, I would stand by my team until it's all proven. Even after it was proven, I would still be a fan, but probably not as big a fan. Hard to say

Really? Such unanimous outrage from you all, yet Polian was seen as the Messiah for years despite the 'bad loser' attitude and the despicable way he treated his own fan base?

One thinks we are happy to ignore bad behaviour when we are breaking records left right and centre, but now we are in the doldrums, we all become Tim Tebow?

Shocker...

People do bad things, not a team. That is why individuals got, will get, punished and not the team. We don't know Grigs and the coaching staff well enough. I would be more surprised if it was Tony Dungy, but not sure about the current staff. Players would stand on their own and would face the wrath of fans if they did something like that. This is why a players character, or lack there of is important. That is why i hope we don't draft someone who has a questionable past just because they can play. They represent the team to a point.

Really? Such unanimous outrage from you all, yet Polian was seen as the Messiah for years despite the 'bad loser' attitude and the despicable way he treated his own fan base?

Are you really trying to compare Polian's hating to lose and him basically saying fans are stupid when they ask stupid questions to something like the bounty program? Come on braveheart you are smarter and better than that.

People do bad things, not a team. That is why individuals got, will get, punished and not the team. We don't know Grigs and the coaching staff well enough. I would be more surprised if it was Tony Dungy, but not sure about the current staff. Players would stand on their own and would face the wrath of fans if they did something like that. This is why a players character, or lack there of is important. That is why i hope we don't draft someone who has a questionable past just because they can play. They represent the team to a point.

Unless, of course, the team hid it, or failed to stop it, especially when asked more than once (ie: Saints).

I would be dumbfounded, let the investigation run it's course, & ask the crucial question: How in the bleep did this happen? Did someone let Chris Polian back in the building again?!! :sarcasm::lol:

We strive for intelligence & integrity in INDY NOT arrogance & incompetence. :facepalm:

I will not "cry foul" if the facts say we are on the wrong side, that is for sure. I wont make it an "us vs the world" thing like Saints fans!!! :)

Agree 100% so tired of Saints fans thinking theyre being singled out.You was warned multiple times didnt stop should be glad he didnt impose sanctions in 2009,2010,2011and move on.Suck it up your team YOUR TEAM messed up got caught support them 100% dont make excuses point fingers at others be a man as we know the term Next Man Up.

Are you really trying to compare Polian's hating to lose and him basically saying fans are stupid when they ask stupid questions to something like the bounty program? Come on braveheart you are smarter and better than that.

Clearly not Coffee, but just showing we are not as righteous as we are making out. In my honest opinion, Week 16 was cheating and a lot worse than spy gate. Sure, a lot of fans had convulsions, but we still see ourselves as classy?

We are living in a world of horseshoe clad unicorns and rainbows.

And maybe if we had some of the Pats or Saint's ruthless streak, we have more than one Championship.

Singing happy songs around a camp fire is rather yukkie.

If it was something like Spygate I would not really bat an eye about because I think fans have just blown that up to be more then what it is because they hate the Pats. I would think something like that would end up bringing the fanbase together more then fragmenting it.

Heck I watched Artest run into the stands live on TV and watched the whole brawl as it happened. I watched ESPN react that same night and watched them bash the fans and the Detroit players just as much as our guys only to see them turn around the next day and nobody ever blamed anyone but the Pacers. Yet, I still kept rooting for the Pacers, but I definitely was disappointed in their actions.

Unlike Saints fans, I would accept and support whatever punitive measures were levied in response for their indiscretion. I would still support my team as long as the scandal didn't involve something horrific, like Irsay eating the eyes of puppies as part of some archaic satanic ritual. I might find another team in that light.

Really good question and not sure how I would handle it for sure. Would certainly be shocked, ashamed, and outraged at those responsible and envolved. Would expect and demand punishment which is happening on an appropriate level to indivdual actions and partiipation. Feel that I would still stand behind the organization and those not involved with the scandal. You can't condemn the entire organization and eeryone for the actions of some or a few. Certainly not a fan of those in New Orleans involved in this scandal, but don't condemn the rest of the players, coaches, organization, or the community because of actions of some involved. Time will tell who and to what extent everyones envolvement was.

I could not have said it any better. My problem would be the true class that we have shown over the past 14/15 years (longer too)that we did not accept anyone to be on the team who was a 'bad person.' We are not the Bengals. We are the Indianapolis Colts. Sure we have had some arrests, but nothing like some of the other teams.

Clearly not Coffee, but just showing we are not as righteous as we are making out. In my honest opinion, Week 16 was cheating and a lot worse than spy gate.

Which Week 16 was cheating? You mean pulling the normal starters is cheating?
Sure, a lot of fans had convulsions, but we still see ourselves as classy?
At least those of us on this side of the pond are classy. ;)
And maybe if we had some of the Pats or Saint's ruthless streak, we have more than one Championship.

Singing happy songs around a camp fire is rather yukkie.

So, it's okay that the Pats and Saints cheated because it lead to SB wins?