Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. coming back (one year deal)

zibby43

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, I'm happy TY is back. Just not sure if the value/production will outweigh the sentimentality.

Also, 10M is top 20ish pay. Top 20ish production is 900 or more yards. You think TY gets 900 or more?

It's a very real possibility that TY is 3rd or 4th in team WR yards this year. If that happens, was it worth 10M?

I really like and respect Ballard. I don't worship him though, and I'm not a blind trust guy. He's had a lot of hits, but he's had misses too. His track record at WR FAs is not the best. 

$8M. Is 8M worth it? The remaining 2M is probably performance based. Who were the other top FA WRs? How much are they getting annually? How does that compare to 8M?

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I think that's fair. He had 55ish/750ish last season, and 45ish/500ish in 2019. Assuming Pittman takes a step forward, and Campbell stays healthy, that will make it difficult for TY to hit some of that, unless Frank opens things up more.

and if TY does hit the high marks... That would be great!

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

$8M. Is 8M worth it? The remaining 2M is probably performance based. Who were the other top FA WRs? How much are they getting annually? How does that compare to 8M?

Simple answer is, we will see.

The two million tiering was posted today.

If he plays at a top 20 level, it's worth it. If not, it wasn't worth it.

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

and if TY does hit the high marks... That would be great!

We should all be hoping he hits 10M lol

16 hours ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

He can't. That is the whole issue.

Ty will not have Brissett or Old man Rivers at QB he will have Wentz .  I expect Reich & his coaches will turn around the perception some may have .IMO Wentz will thrive & as he shines so will TY Hilton . 

TY is gonna ball out & get another year .

In today’s The Athletic, Steven Holder has the story of the signing and negotiation.  

Basically, as we had asked, Hilton had shopped and brought Ballard the best terms. 

The team is believed to be Baltimore.  They offered multiple years and more money.   We countered with one year and less money.  There was a stand off.  

It sounds like Irsay brokered the final deal.  The Colts would come up and match the yearly dollars if TYH would come down on the number of years.   So both sides would sacrifice and call it a win-win.   And that’s how the deal got done. 

TY is on with McAfee right now. Shout out to McAfee for these awesome interviews.

TY said Baltimore offered him tons of money. So much he had a really hard time refusing. Said his tweet yesterday with a bunch of eye emojis was regarding Baltimore’s final push to try to get him.

He and Wentz have talked a lot. Wentz definitely let him know that he wanted to play with him. I think that’s awesome.

Also talked about Andrew (:Cry:) and how they’ve been talking. Said Andrew is so happy and nearly talking him into retiring. Haha

TY said he wanted a 1-2 year deal. 

TY TY TY :coltslogo:

Baltimore is desperate.

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Ty will not have Brissett or Old man Rivers at QB he will have Wentz .  I expect Reich & his coaches will turn around the perception some may have .IMO Wentz will thrive & as he shines so will TY Hilton . 

TY is gonna ball out & get another year .

Father Time is undefeated but if he does that then he would deserve it.

Again a horrible look for Ballard. Ready to let TY walk over a couple million (maybe a little more) dollars with $35m at your disposal.

Boss man had to step in and make the right decision.

Went cheap on Denico too - a proven player who worked in the system.

But even after the Denico loss it simply hasn’t been good enough. 

Not only has Ballard failed at getting a proper, top class DE or T in free agency, he also weren’t willing to get over his obsession with taller receivers. TY is small and old in the tooth... yeah, so what? He is a legend and still top quality. Will likely have 800-1100 yards this year. Book it.

Thank you JIM IRSAY. You know how to treat a future Colts RoH while also acknowledging his short term impact! This isn’t sentimentality. This is sensibility.

37 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He is only 31

But he has been slipping for a couple of years. I fear he slips more this year. He is a small speed receiver and they don't usually have long careers. The fact that he only got one year means that the team is reluctant to make any longer endorsement than that. I hope he has a 1000 yard season. My head says he probably gets 500 or a little less. That is a big fall.

41 minutes ago, James said:

Again a horrible look for Ballard. Ready to let TY walk over a couple million (maybe a little more) dollars with $35m at your disposal.

Not only has Ballard failed at getting a proper, top class DE or T in free agency, he also weren’t willing to get over his obsession with taller receivers. TY is small and old in the tooth... yeah, so what? He is a legend and still top quality. Will likely have 800-1100 yards this year. Book it.

Thank you JIM IRSAY. You know how to treat a future Colts RoH while also acknowledging his short term impact! This isn’t sentimentality. This is sensibility.

It seemed very sentimental to me. That is not a bad thing and it is admirable in itself.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In today’s The Athletic, Steven Holder has the story of the signing and negotiation.  

Basically, as we had asked, Hilton had shopped and brought Ballard the best terms. 

The team is believed to be Baltimore.  They offered multiple years and more money.   We countered with one year and less money.  There was a stand off.  

It sounds like Irsay brokered the final deal.  The Colts would come up and match the yearly dollars if TYH would come down on the number of years.   So both sides would sacrifice and call it a win-win.   And that’s how the deal got done. 

I have very bad feelings when the owner is involved. 

53 minutes ago, James said:

Eh I don’t know. From the way TY talked, the Ravens money was HUGE. That doesn’t sound like just a couple million. 

Hilton isn’t the same player he was 3-4 years ago but he still got some left in the tank. Another thing to consider is Wentz would be the first QB since Luck to actually throw the deep ball. Jacoby held the ball, had horrible  downfield vision and just wouldn’t take chances. Rivers did have good vision, had quick release but had physical limitations throwing deep.

Wentz has the physical tools it’s up to him to work on his decision making, slow down and let the game come to him. Hopefully they start getting throwing sessions in and develop a chemistry together. If Pittman can take that next step and guys like Pascal and Campbell can contribute it’ll make things easier for Hilton and WR corps as a whole.

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Fair point.

However, with CB there have been times when that owner intervention has gotten things done. Notably with the Reich hire.

As far as TY goes, thebrashandbold thinks he's toast while others think it's a fair or maybe great deal. The truth is probably somewhere in between, if CB was hesitant, his reasoning is probably legit. I dont expect a 1000yd season from TY, but if he can get to 10000yrds as a Colt, i'll gladly take it and say goodbye to him next year. 

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I typically do too.  But not in this case, because a one-year contract, even for good money, is nothing.

If this were a multiyear deal for bigger money, my worry alarm would be going off loudly.   But not not on a deal this small.   I’m actually good with it. 

32 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

But he has been slipping for a couple of years. I fear he slips more this year. He is a small speed receiver and they don't usually have long careers. The fact that he only got one year means that the team is reluctant to make any longer endorsement than that. I hope he has a 1000 yard season. My head says he probably gets 500 or a little less. That is a big fall.

It seemed very sentimental to me. That is not a bad thing and it is admirable in itself.

His drop in production had a lot to do with the QBs who were throwing to him im guessing

27 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Fair point.

However, with CB there have been times when that owner intervention has gotten things done. Notably with the Reich hire.

As far as TY goes, thebrashandbold thinks he's toast while others think it's a fair or maybe great deal. The truth is probably somewhere in between, if CB was hesitant, his reasoning is probably legit. I dont expect a 1000yd season from TY, but if he can get to 10000yrds as a Colt, i'll gladly take it and say goodbye to him next year. 

He'll get 1000 unless he gets hurt

26 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I am guessing you are wrong and TY just doesn't get separation like he used to be able to do. It happens to all of us.

Have you watched any of the game film? You should. Most of the year, defenses rolled double and triple coverage to TY. 

Later in the season, teams started to play us a little different, and TY saw some single coverage. That’s when he started to hit the stat sheet again. He finished the final 6 regular season games with 27 receptions for 435 yards and 5 touchdowns. That’s an excellent stretch for any receiver to have. 

7 minutes ago, Aces101 said:

So essentially, Irsay stepped in because Ballard is a cheapskate with salary cap space? LOL

I am not seeing it that way. Actually TY said he was looking for a sign from God, and that’s when Jim Irsay called. He said that was what he needed. I think it was the call from Jim Irsay, the advice from Reggie Wayne to stay, the city that he loves and loves him, and so on. 

TY only wanted a 1 or 2 year deal. The Ravens were offering him a multi year deal. The trick was, how do the Colts get a deal on par with the average per year he would have got. I think that’s where the incentives came in. 

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

After Pitman came back from his injury that’s when TY really started to have a great season. If Pittman and Campbell stay healthy TY should have a great season because it takes pressure off of him.

And utilize MAC more

20 minutes ago, Aces101 said:

So essentially, Irsay stepped in because Ballard is a cheapskate with salary cap space? LOL

You think Irsay doesn’t love, Love, LOVE the way Ballard spends his money?   Seriously?

This isn’t a problem despite your attempt to call it one.   He wasn’t cheap with Luck, or Wentz, or Buckner,  or Kelly, or Moore, or Stewart.   And he won’t be cheap with Q, or Leonard or Smith.

The best guys get paid.    

37 minutes ago, Stephen said:

He'll get 1000 unless he gets hurt

We'll see. If all the guys stay healthy, that's a lot of mouths to feed. I expect more of last season where some weeks he's the feature guy, and others he sees little of the ball.

If he gets 1500yds, I'll be pumped. 

23 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

We'll see. If all the guys stay healthy, that's a lot of mouths to feed. I expect more of last season where some weeks he's the feature guy, and others he sees little of the ball.

If he gets 1500yds, I'll be pumped. 

I am always amazed at how so many people watch a completely different football game than I do. 

Success isn’t about how many yards a specific receiver has. Sure we want all the receivers to be productive. We want all the players at every position to be productive. However, the most important stat is Wins and Losses and the ultimate stat is Super Bowl rings. 

Would you rather have TY get 150 yards a game and we lose or would you rather him get 30-40 yards and we win? 

It really doesn’t matter if the ball goes to him or not. It matters that it goes to someone, and that someone is productive. TY can stretch the field and leave the middle open all day for everyone else. But we have to make the plays.

If TY consistently takes a corner and the free safety all the way down the field, leaving Doyle open to get 8 receptions for 90 yards, and Pittman to see single coverage and end up with 6 catches for 75 yards, and Pascal to finish with 4 catches for 50 and a score.... Does it really matter that TY only finishes with 30 yards? 

Some days he will be the decoy (if they double and follow him). That’s when others have to step up. When they don’t follow TY down the field then it will be his opportunity to have a day. This will almost always be dependent on how a defensive coordinator game plans to defend us. 

Some Ravens guys are saying they offered three years, $16m. TY says they offered him more to sign than he'll get for all of 2021 from the Colts. I'm thinking the truth is somewhere in between.

Purely my conjecture, sounds like maybe they were doing a two year offer with a voidable third year, at $16m total. I can't imagine TY would have been considering them at a little over $5m/year, and he said he wanted a 1-2 year deal.  They weren't giving him $8-10m upfront on a three year, $16m deal. So I assume it was a two year deal, something around $8-10m signing bonus, spread out over three seasons. JMO.

TY also said that after he spoke with Irsay, the Colts came up to his number. If the Colts were offering one year, $6m, that's still better than three years, $16m in a depressed market. I think he also said they came up a couple million, so that probably puts their initial offer somewhere around $7-8m for one year. Still better than three years, $16m. 

I'm thinking the Colts initial offer to TY was about as good as what he was offered on the open market, and maybe the final sweetener put it over the top. 

29 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I am always amazed at how so many people watch a completely different football game than I do. 

Success isn’t about how many yards a specific receiver has. Sure we want all the receivers to be productive. We want all the players at every position to be productive. However, the most important stat is Wins and Losses and the ultimate stat is Super Bowl rings. 

Would you rather have TY get 150 yards a game and we lose or would you rather him get 30-40 yards and we win? 

It really doesn’t matter if the ball goes to him or not. It matters that it goes to someone, and that someone is productive. TY can stretch the field and leave the middle open all day for everyone else. But we have to make the plays.

If TY consistently takes a corner and the free safety all the way down the field, leaving Doyle open to get 8 receptions for 90 yards, and Pittman to see single coverage and end up with 6 catches for 75 yards, and Pascal to finish with 4 catches for 50 and a score.... Does it really matter that TY only finishes with 30 yards? 

Some days he will be the decoy (if they double and follow him). That’s when others have to step up. When they don’t follow TY down the field then it will be his opportunity to have a day. This will almost always be dependent on how a defensive coordinator game plans to defend us. 

I agree, I have been saying that for years in here as in if you win that is all that matters. I would rather win ugly than lose pretty anyday. If anyone says otherwise they are lying because look at how good we played Buffalo in the playoffs but all I hear from people in here is that Rivers couldn't get it done, we lost so who cares, etc..  All people remember is, if you win or lose. Hardly nobody remember's that Ben played horribly in SB 40 vs Seattle, or that Tom played average in SB 36 vs the Rams, or that Peyton wasn't much of a factor in SB 50. All they remember is, they all won the SB in those years. I would rather have a game where I throw for 200 Yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and win the SB, then have a game where I throw for 400 Yards, 3 TD's, 0 INT's but lose the SB. If you lose that is all that is remembered.

Archived