Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y. coming back (one year deal)

zibby43

31 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

We don't need to pile on Grigson. Sure he was an arrogant so and so, and he bears a big portion of responsibility for #12 leaving the game BUT he did move up to draft Hilton when most Colts fans had no idea who TY was.

Also, lets not act like TY now is what Reggie was back then. TY can still arguably be the Colts #1 or 2. Reggie at that point was washed and retirement was likely the right call.

I think Arians pounded the table for TY. 

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

TY said on the Mcafee show yesterday he would have made his whole colts contract on signing day with the Ravens, he also eluded to the fact that Irsay sort of forced Ballards hand possibly not sure how i feel about that

I knew as soon as TY said Irsay called him that there would be a perception that Irsay forced it. I didn’t take it that way though. I think the call from Irsay alone sealed the deal. TY said he was looking for a sign from God, and that he was about to accept the offer from the Ravens... But Jim called him right before he agreed to the deal. 

I don’t think Irsay interfered with the deal between Ballard and TY. I believe his presence helped tremendously though. 

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I knew as soon as TY said Irsay called him that there would be a perception that Irsay forced it. I didn’t take it that way though. I think the call from Irsay alone sealed the deal. TY said he was looking for a sign from God, and that he was about to accept the offer from the Ravens... But Jim called him right before he agreed to the deal. 

I don’t think Irsay interfered with the deal between Ballard and TY. I believe his presence helped tremendously though. 

The text from Irsay basically made him feel he was wanted. That is how I interpreted it. When you get a friendly text from the owner of the organization, it is a natural thing to assume that you feel valued by the organization. That is where I felt Irsay helped. :) 

Just like Reggie Wayne knew Pagano from the U connections, and Pagano wanted him back, which played a part then. However, I would like to think that me running into Reggie Wayne after the 2011 season outside Ruth Chris' Steakhouse (when I was coming back from visiting Indy's SB festivities), telling him while getting a picture of him and me together "man, I never will forget that game winning TD in that 4th & 2 game vs the Patriots you caught, I hope you come back to us" mattered somehow, LOL. :D

Wonder if Ballard was eyeballing getting a comp. pick from letting TY walk. We don't have too many picks this time around so it just makes me wonder if he's trying to find ways to grab a few more. Irsay telling Ballard to give the man what he wants and move on is somewhat eye opening. Ballard doesn't get sentimental in my opinion, which is fine. But I would much rather have TY here than Sammie Watkins.

15 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

History tells us that at the age of 32, Desean Jackson signed a 3 year deal at 27.9 million. At 33, Emmanuel Sanders signed a 2 year deal worth 24 million. At 29, Randall Cobb signed a 3 year deal for 27 million.... I’d put TYs market value somewhere around that. 

I wouldn’t call that based on nothing. 

Cobb signed during the legal tampering period. And that deal was almost immediately panned.

DJax signed on the day after the 2019 league year started. 

Sanders actually signed a 2/$16M...not sure why Spotrac shows 2/$24M. But that deal was two days after the league year started.

So all of those deals happened much earlier and they were in offseasons where there wasn't a huge cap decrease. The WR market was obviously different this year.

You listed some history...but what about John Brown? Much like DJax, John Brown signed a 3/$27M deal in 2019. And in this same FA period, he signed a one-year deal for $3.75M (a couple days into the new league year). He's been more productive than TY has the past two years.

I just don't see any way Hilton, who signed 10 days into FA, turned down a 3/$30M deal...or that it was even offered at this point. And I doubt that 3/$16M came out of nowhere.

11 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Wonder if Ballard was eyeballing getting a comp. pick from letting TY walk. We don't have too many picks this time around so it just makes me wonder if he's trying to find ways to grab a few more. Irsay telling Ballard to give the man what he wants and move on is somewhat eye opening. Ballard doesn't get sentimental in my opinion, which is fine. But I would much rather have TY here than Sammie Watkins.

I think he was eyeballing a lot of comp picks for this offseason. But it never transpired. Guys either got hurt (Mack and Hooker), weren't valued very highly (Walker or JB), or didn't get the big offers he thought (Rhodes and Hilton). It looks like Autry is the only one so far that will bring back a decent comp pick. Perhaps a late pick for JB and for Houston (if he signs a cheap one-year deal somewhere). But that also assumes they don't bring in any other UFAs.

They are definitely waiting for Ertz to be released though. He won't count against the comp picks and they can lock him into a two-year deal.

23 minutes ago, Thebrashandthebold said:

I seriously doubt that. TY got the job he wanted. 

The story is... During the 2012 draft, the Colts were targeting a receiver, and he was taken before we picked. That’s when Arians told Grigson to draft TY, because he is a guy. It’s the story that circled the Colts locker room. I cannot 100% verify it’s validity though. That said, Pat McAfee has mentioned the story a few times over the years, and just brought it up again a few days ago.  

37 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Cobb signed during the legal tampering period. And that deal was almost immediately panned.

DJax signed on the day after the 2019 league year started. 

Sanders actually signed a 2/$16M...not sure why Spotrac shows 2/$24M. But that deal was two days after the league year started.

So all of those deals happened much earlier and they were in offseasons where there wasn't a huge cap decrease. The WR market was obviously different this year.

You listed some history...but what about John Brown? Much like DJax, John Brown signed a 3/$27M deal in 2019. And in this same FA period, he signed a one-year deal for $3.75M (a couple days into the new league year). He's been more productive than TY has the past two years.

I just don't see any way Hilton, who signed 10 days into FA, turned down a 3/$30M deal...or that it was even offered at this point. And I doubt that 3/$16M came out of nowhere.

The deal would have probably ended up being somewhere around 2 years 16-18 million (with at least more than half guaranteed)... Not 3 years at that price. We’ve been over this several times. That 3rd year was probably voidable and not included in the total. If you add the 3rd year, then you also have to add the money he would have made, and that’s probably anywhere from 8-10 million. However, TY would have likely never seen the 3rd year anyway. 

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Cam is a qb.   That isn't a good year for a qb

Yeah, an apples and oranges comparison. TY was hurt and was coming along better towards the end of the year. He is a clear #2 WR type to me but if I look at the offensive system we run, we don't seem to rely on a clear cut #1. As long as we have bodies for every role, it will work great. 

The big slot X or TE that can get a key 1st down conversion is what we are missing now, IMO.

Irsay could have stepped in at the last minute to Ballard and said,

"It's ok to give TY most of his contract guaranteed. He has been worth that me. However....play it how you will"

I seriously do not believe that Ballard was against this and Jim forced his hand. That is not how Jim operates. However, never stand between a fan and their juicy story angle. 

5 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

We don't need to pile on Grigson. Sure he was an arrogant so and so, and he bears a big portion of responsibility for #12 leaving the game BUT he did move up to draft Hilton when most Colts fans had no idea who TY was.

Also, lets not act like TY now is what Reggie was back then. TY can still arguably be the Colts #1 or 2. Reggie at that point was washed and retirement was likely the right call.

My “piling on Grigson” was saying he did not se-sign Wayne to the one final year that Wayne was seeking.  I to this day feel that it was a travesty to not give Reggie his final go, which ultimately led to Reggie’s retirement after signing with the dreaded Pats.  I think Grigs owed Reggie the courtesy for his signing on for 2012 and beyond at a below market deal and for all Reggie brought to the Colts over the years.  

I never mentioned anything about Grigson’s track record, both good and bad, but now that you brought up the piling on topic, I will say this ... Ballard’s re-signing TY speaks volumes about class and loyalty as compared to what I saw from Grigson’s treatment of Reggie’s endgame.   I’ve been a die hard Colt’s fan since ‘66 or ‘67, and the way Grigson hung Reggie out to dry will always be something I am bitter about.  It was just beyond classless, imho, especially because Reggie’s issues were injury related more so than pure skill drop off.

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

My “piling on Grigson” was saying he did not se-sign Wayne to the one final year that Wayne was seeking.  I to this day feel that it was a travesty to not give Reggie his final go, which ultimately led to Reggie’s retirement after signing with the dreaded Pats.  I think Grigs owed Reggie the courtesy for his signing on for 2012 and beyond at a below market deal and for all Reggie brought to the Colts over the years.  

I never mentioned anything about Grigson’s track record, both good and bad, but now that you brought up the piling on topic, I will say this ... Ballard’s re-signing TY speaks volumes about class and loyalty as compared to what I saw from Grigson’s treatment of Reggie’s endgame.   I’ve been a die hard Colt’s fan since ‘66 or ‘67, and the way Grigson hung Reggie out to dry will always be something I am bitter about.  It was just beyond classless, imho, especially because Reggie’s issues were injury related more so than pure skill drop off.

Hey, i hear you but at some point, you make tough calls no? It boils down to this: Was Reggie able to contribute at a high level? I think most would say no. I think maybe he may have been able to give the Colts what Hines Ward gave PIT in his last year. Some leadership and a few memories but largely not really a factor. So why would IND give a deal to Reggie? 

If this team could move on from Peyton....everyone else is open to the same fate. 

That class you speak of, maybe Jim Irsay learned something from the Peyton move and is now willing to give guys one last hurrah but honestly i dont think that's the case. This TY deal wasn't about class or loyalty, the guy can clearly still contribute at a good level, it's not like this deal was a 'thank you for all you've done here". He got  a better offer elsewhere, and in all likelihood, this is his last year as a Colt. If i were a betting man, i'd put $ on him playing elsewhere next year. This deal was about paying a guy to be a major contributor. It wasn't about charity. This is a business still. The NFL is rough in that regard.

This team is full of young WR. TY just needs to be a piece of the puzzle. He doesn’t have to be the guy anymore. There is no reason why he can’t keep playing on one year deals for the colts and retire here. Ballard will have to keep a eye in the draft for his future replacement.  But with Pittman and Campbell staying healthy he just needs yo contribute.

On 3/26/2021 at 9:47 AM, Colt.45 said:

We don't need to pile on Grigson.

but we could if we wanted to, right? 

eh, that guy..

passing thought, but a thing that comes up is the idea of a "hometown discount" in pro sports. This is about the closest you'll ever see that to being a reality, because it's mostly a fan pipe dream, but it did sorta kinda happen here.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

but we could if we wanted to, right? 

eh, that guy..

passing thought, but a thing that comes up is the idea of a "hometown discount" in pro sports. This is about the closest you'll ever see that to being a reality, because it's mostly a fan pipe dream, but it did sorta kinda happen here.

For sure. When a GM fails to protect the franchise, he gets what comes to him. When a GM makes comments about the QBs wages being hindrance, he deserves all he gets. Still, the truth is the truth, he drafted TY (whether we want to call it an Arians call or not), the credit goes to the GM because when players fail, we're going to ascribe those failures to the GM.

We will never know if this was a hometown discount or not but it's not like TY was doing the Colts a favor by coming back rather than going to the Ravens. That passing game in Baltimore doesn't really do receivers any favors....he can earn 10M$ this year in Indy, boost his numbers and go elsewhere for another big payday. Sure, it's all love, the city loves him, he loves the city, etc....but he was ready to leave though. From a purely business standpoint, if he crushes this season, he probably stands to make more money in the next couple years than he'd have made taking that multiple year offer from Baltimore....heck, even if he has a merely good season, he's counting on that 'TV money'. I'm not trying to be a cynic here but i think this was a business move.

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

For sure. When a GM fails to protect the franchise, he gets what comes to him. When a GM makes comments about the QBs wages being hindrance, he deserves all he gets. Still, the truth is the truth, he drafted TY (whether we want to call it an Arians call or not), the credit goes to the GM because when players fail, we're going to ascribe those failures to the GM.

We will never know if this was a hometown discount or not but it's not like TY was doing the Colts a favor by coming back rather than going to the Ravens. That passing game in Baltimore doesn't really do receivers any favors....he can earn 10M$ this year in Indy, boost his numbers and go elsewhere for another big payday. Sure, it's all love, the city loves him, he loves the city, etc....but he was ready to leave though. From a purely business standpoint, if he crushes this season, he probably stands to make more money in the next couple years than he'd have made taking that multiple year offer from Baltimore....heck, even if he has a merely good season, he's counting on that 'TV money'. I'm not trying to be a cynic here but i think this was a business move.

I agree that Baltimore would have been a bad place for him. He wasn't going to take snaps from Hollywood Brown, and he was likely going to split time with Duvernay who they are trying to develop. And TY at this stage is a last cut timing guy guy, which is really not Baltimore's O. IMO, they would have asked him to play slot. That, combined with the fact he'd have to learn a new system, doesn't make it very attractive.

I'm sure TY knew this and figured Indy was the best situation. And I doubt Baltimore's guarantees were anymore than Indy's. This wasn't some huge bargain.

30 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Ya, I'm gonna disagree on that........

What do you think happened?

Lets just hope TY kills it this year, and wish him luck next year wherever he is. I don't think hometown discounts are really a thing. Players look for scenarios that are the most convenient for them....rightfully so. Again I circle back to that Manning deal, this is 100% business. There's the emotional side but 'hometown'? I dont know that this is a thing. The closest I can recall that happening was Brady getting underpaid for years by New England but even that one was more a case of him wanting to win and understanding that if he took less, that'd be more likely. I don't think that was out of any hometown affinity. I may be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

What do you think happened?

Lets just hope TY kills it this year, and wish him luck next year wherever he is. I don't think hometown discounts are really a thing. Players look for scenarios that are the most convenient for them....rightfully so. Again I circle back to that Manning deal, this is 100% business. There's the emotional side but 'hometown'? I dont know that this is a thing. The closest I can recall that happening was Brady getting underpaid for years by New England but even that one was more a case of him wanting to win and understanding that if he took less, that'd be more likely. I don't think that was out of any hometown affinity. I may be wrong.

I was disagreeing that (see below)

36 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

but it's not like TY was doing the Colts a favor

I think the money he is going to be paid is a favor to the Colts

58 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I was disagreeing that (see below)

I think the money he is going to be paid is a favor to the Colts

Well...   you could argue he did right by accepting a one year deal rather than a multiply year deal...    he came down in years, we came up in dollars.

Seems like a win-win. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   you could argue he did right by accepting a one year deal rather than a multiply year deal...    he came down in years, we came up in dollars.

Seems like a win-win. 

Exactly. 

And he's mentioned that 'TV deal'. That's smart thinking....by taking a one year deal and not getting locked into a Baltimore deal that seemed to be worth more, he's actually given himself leverage for next season.

Win-win.

18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I doubt Ty will make more next season. He would be a year older. Plus he will just be a complimentary piece here and I don’t see him having huge numbers. It not like JUju who can bet on himself at 24 years old.

I think you are selling him short.   His strength is the deep ball.   The last two qbs didn't throw it deep often.     TY still has wheels

30 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I think you are selling him short.   His strength is the deep ball.   The last two qbs didn't throw it deep often.     TY still has wheels

Oh I think he will get back to some of that with Wentz. I just think we spread the ball around so much and with our running backs I don’t think he will have huge numbers by the end of the year. 

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Oh I think he will get back to some of that with Wentz. I just think we spread the ball around so much and with our running backs I don’t think he will have huge numbers by the end of the year. 

We will certainly be run heavy,   but that could open up the deep ball

On 3/25/2021 at 5:04 PM, Colt.45 said:

We'll see. If all the guys stay healthy, that's a lot of mouths to feed. I expect more of last season where some weeks he's the feature guy, and others he sees little of the ball.

If he gets 1500yds, I'll be pumped. 

Ty had in 2014 , 1345 catches & 2016 it was 1448 thanks to having 12 as his QB's ability to air it out . Now with the addition of Wentz ,TY  IMO has a great chance to reach 1000 .  At this point in his career you might want to pump the brakes on 1500 it won't happen , 

Archived