Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Houston

w87r

I know there were reports to the contrary out, but it seems as if the Colts are interested in bringing back Houston as they should be, and not letting him get to FA market.

https://fansided.com/2021/02/23/indianapolis-colts-resigning-justin-houston/

I know its been posted a few times but Houston finished tied for 4th in pass rush win % for all edge players this last season. His loss would be huge.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings%3fplatform=amp

He also didn't miss a game in either 2 seasons, his durability has been well needed with uncertainty on the other side.

He is good against the run and pass.

Hopefully we could lock him up to a 2yr $20m deal. Maybe $9m this season then $11m next year?

Just an added tidbit, from that Houston win% link.

Nelson was #1 in run block win rate(79%) and #3 in pass block win rate(95%), in what was called a down year by some.

Only other Guard with two top 3 rankings was Zach Marin with a #2 pass block/#3 run block.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CR91 said:

Imo, this will come down to if the colts find a better option in FA. Houston might re-sign, but I fully expect the colts to let him hit the market.

Yeah that was the talk I've seen over the last week, but this seems to take the opposite stand on it.

It's all just talk, but I found it interesting with all the other reports saying thr contrary.

I'm fine with keeping him, at the right price. More important is what Turay and Banogu do, and whether we acquire other young players with pass rush potential. 

I'm also starting to come around on adding JJ Watt. I'm not sure he's a perfect fit in our defense, but he can play multiple positions on the line. And the intangibles speak for themselves. Only concern is whether he can stay healthy.

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah that was the talk I've seen over the last week, but this seems to take the opposite stand on it.

It's all just talk, but I found it interesting with all the other reports saying thr contrary.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm fine with keeping him, at the right price. More important is what Turay and Banogu do, and whether we acquire other young players with pass rush potential. 

I'm also starting to come around on adding JJ Watt. I'm not sure he's a perfect fit in our defense, but he can play multiple positions on the line. And the intangibles speak for themselves. Only concern is whether he can stay healthy.

If we get Watt, then maybe we bring back Houston, but if we splurge on say Barrett or Yannick then I think Houston is gone.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Watt would be a good addition, no doubt.

I think I would prefer Houston over him though if I had to choose.

As you said you are worried about him staying healthy, while Houston is pretty durable.

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

If we get Watt, then maybe we bring back Houston, but if we splurge on say Barrett or Yannick then I think Houston is gone.

Yeah if they were to go after those guys, there would be no funds left for much of anything.

Watt could make a significant difference on this D. He can get to the QB. With Buckner as his running mate, he'd see fewer double teams. I know he's been in a 3-4 his entire career, but he's a great football player. And remember, Mathis got 19 sacks the year he switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4, so a great player can make it work regardless of scheme. I'd be for signing him to a 2year deal. If he stayed healthy, it could create the pass rush the Colts badly need. Why the heck not?

5 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Watt is much more of an impactful player than Houston is at this point in both their careers. 

He plays the run a little better than Houston, that's about it.

Sacks alone Houston had 8 sacks this year. Watt has 9 in the last 2 years.

Over the last 5 years Houston has 41.5 sacks to Watts 26.5 sacks

Health is a major thing and Houston has been much more durable.

Watt has missed 32 games over last 5 years

Houston has missed 16 games over last 5 years

and zero the last 2 seasons here.

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

^^^^^^This!!!^^^^^^

This is a tidal wave of facts!!   As the saying goes, you’re entitled to your own opinion, just not to your own facts!    

Thank you for this!    :thmup:

:colts:

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I would rather keep Houston than sign watt.   If we could get both,   right on

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Watt would be a good addition, no doubt.

I think I would prefer Houston over him though if I had to choose.

As you said you are worried about him staying healthy, while Houston is pretty durable.

Look Up Major League Baseball GIF by MLB

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Offenses game plan for Watt far more than they do for Houston. I don't think the stats you have  are too relevant . I feel Watt is the better player but Houston as you say has been far more durable.

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I would rather get Watt or keep Houston, or even both, over paying Barrett and Yannick. The first two, you know that no matter what they will go all out and want the Championship, Yannick and Barrett, I am concerned that once they get paid, they will not have the drive to go hard. The other 2 you know they will always

Wouldn't Houston and Watt play different positions on the line in a 4-3? I dont think Watt would be a DE in our system. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If they play the same spot, and if we are going for an older DE then I'd stay with Houston. However, I can easily see Ballard going younger instead

3 hours ago, w87r said:

I know there were reports to the contrary out, but it seems as if the Colts are interested in bringing back Houston as they should be, and not letting him get to FA market.

https://fansided.com/2021/02/23/indianapolis-colts-resigning-justin-houston/

I know its been posted a few times but Houston finished tied for 4th in pass rush win % for all edge players this last season. His loss would be huge.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939464/2020-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings%3fplatform=amp

He also didn't miss a game in either 2 seasons, his durability has been well needed with uncertainty on the other side.

He is good against the run and pass.

Hopefully we could lock him up to a 2yr $20m deal. Maybe $9m this season then $11m next year?

Just an added tidbit, from that Houston win% link.

Nelson was #1 in run block win rate(79%) and #3 in pass block win rate(95%), in what was called a down year by some.

Only other Guard with two top 3 rankings was Zach Marin with a #2 pass block/#3 run block.

U invest a top 6 pick in Nelson and he is going to want huge money. Better be #1 in both pass and #1 in run blocking. He is after all suppose to b a generational talent

19 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Wouldn't Houston and Watt play different positions on the line in a 4-3? I dont think Watt would be a DE in our system. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If they play the same spot, and if we are going for an older DE then I'd stay with Houston. However, I can easily see Ballard going younger instead

I believe Watt would indeed be a DE.  Cant be a DT...  that’s Buckner.  He’s not a Nose  tackle.  We have Stewart.   He’d be our LDE.  Houston would be our RDE.   

17 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I dont think Watt would be a DE in our system. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

He would be big for a 4-3 DE.  Houston is pretty big himself and Watt is taller and heavier. 

JJ is between Houston and Buckner size wise.  I don't think its clear to fans where he would play in a 4-3, but I'm sure the team has an idea 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe Watt would indeed be a DE.  Cant be a DT...  that’s Buckner.  He’s not a Nose  tackle.  We have Stewart.   He’d be our LDE.  Houston would be our RDE.   

Ah okay. Definitely would go with Houston then.

Also, people seem to be riding of Turay as well it appears. He was out for a long while with his ankle injury, however, he still seemed pretty fast for the few games he was active last year. If he is completely healthy, I can really see him having a very solid year in 2021.

2 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Ah okay. Definitely would go with Houston then.

Also, people seem to be riding of Turay as well it appears. He was out for a long while with his ankle injury, however, he still seemed pretty fast for the few games he was active last year. If he is completely healthy, I can really see him having a very solid year in 2021.

Turay will get plenty of snaps...  just not a 3-down player at this point.   Turay can still be a very effective pass rusher, just on a situational basis. 

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Watt is much more of an impactful player than Houston is at this point in both their careers. 

Everyone has already replied that stats and health both say otherwise, so just curious why you feel this way?

2 hours ago, joecolts said:

At this stage of their careers, I'd take Houston every day and twice on Sunday's over J.J. Watt.  For as good as J.J. Watt WAS, he has proven incapable of staying healthy and on the field.  Houston on the other hand is like a Ford truck...built tough.  

Yup. The lack of appreciation for both Houston and Autry is head scratching. On top of their simple production and health, factor in their pay.... Terrific job by Ballard. 

IMO, our lack of getting home more is more being near bottom of the league in blitz %, not talent. 

32 minutes ago, colts89 said:

Watt is a DE. On obvious passing downs he has the size to move in though. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

It seemed like Turay wasn't fully healthy when we brought him back last year.  I think, if he is fully healthy, we'll see him back on the trajectory he had been on prior to injury.  He's shown flashes and seems to have been working his tail off.  Banogu on the other hand almost seemed to decline last year, and there was some talk of him not practicing hard (media could've blown 'Flus' comments out of proportion but https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/18/indianapolis-colts-ben-banogu-practice-inactive/  from that article he says “I just think that with any player, I think that it’s about practice. You practice well and you produce on the practice field, and then you move on to the game from there,” said DC Matt Eberflus on Tuesday. “Then you have to produce in the game. He’s working to get that done.... Again, he’s in his – we say on the defensive line, a lot of times it takes two or three years before the light comes on,” Eberflus said. “He just has to keep persevering and have some determination and keep working).”

I would not be against Watt, just hope if we did pull the trigger on him that he (1) stays healthy and (2) it doesn't prevent us from improving the team at other areas of need.  It wouldn't be a long contract, so it wouldn't result in long-term salary cap issues, but he may want a big 1-2 year deal and I'd rather see us retain Houston and Autry and address the LT position and possibly CB/WR/TE in FA than ignore the last three positions at the cost of signing  Watt.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

He may command more double teams, sure... but his sack numbers are worse and he misses way more games.  Can't be productive/impactful when your on the injury report instead of on the playing field.  He's also stronger against the run than Houston... @w87r hit a homer with his post above.

36 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U invest a top 6 pick in Nelson and he is going to want huge money. Better be #1 in both pass and #1 in run blocking. He is after all suppose to b a generational talent

He is a generational talent.  He's been 1st team all-pro as evidenced by being first-team all-pro all  3 years in the league.  

He's the best at his position in the NFL.  He's a leader of this team, is a workhorse and keeps himself healthy or does a good job playing through pain when he's hurt.  He deserves whatever contract we give him - he makes the OL around him better and has helped this offense identify themselves as a tough-nosed O which we I don't think we've ever seen in Indy.

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I guess you think Khalil Mack isn't living up to his contract.

If possible, I would go with Watt. Houston has been good for us, but for numerous reasons, the statistical comparison doesn't mean much to me.  As others have mentioned, Watt was the Texans' defense.  People are game planning for him.  No one is game planning for Houston and the eyeball test still says Watt.  Health is the only issue, but Watt played 16 games last year and they're both getting up there, so it's a bit of a crapshoot on either of them. 

Gut instinct tells me Watt would be lethal alongside Buckner.   Houston?  I'm not sure I saw a positive improvement after acquiring Buckner.  If anything, he slid a little.

16 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

Getting Watt would allow us to let Autry walk, Since JJ would probably play LDE then slide over when Grover is out.   

Bu Autry is pretty productive, and stays healthy.  I kinda like the idea on paper, but don't know if signing Watt would be much of a net plus.

Archived