Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Houston

w87r

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Manning and Brady, or I should say QB in general, is not a good comp. QB is a singular position which the entire O goes through, and is typically the face/leader of the team, and plays every snap. And then add on top of that PM and TB are 2 of the greatest ever and were able to play every game, all game.. And plugging them in to a team is very different than plugging in a guy who would be one of 4 on the DL, and likely playing only around 60% of snaps. 

Like I said, love to have him on a reasonable deal. I just don't see him being generous enough to make it work. I'd recommend looking at our ammo (2 early draft picks, 42ish M in cap), and solving for the holes we need to fill (2xDE, LT, WR1 and 4, CB1 and 4, MIKE, TE). 

I really do think most of the team will be put back together from last year. Rhodes will get a good raise, Autry and/or Houston likely, or at minimum one (similar $ to last year). TY is really the only one I don't envision being back. Perhaps Walker moves on too, but we'll need to fill that hole as Oke doesn't look to be the 3 down answer. Anyways, lot of high dollar holes, with decent, not great ammo. I'm hoping they go DE in the 1st, LT in the second. Back to the question above, how would you allocate the draft picks and $, while filling all the holes, and making it work with Watt.

I don't think we actually disagree on that much here,  the allocation of draft capital is simply unknowable as is who will be resigned and what other teams will do.  To be honest , I can't play that game, it's too much and I'm happy to watch it play itself out. I will say, I would target a Tackle in Rd one, I like the idea of a starting LT on a rookie deal and I like keeping Nelson at G., Tackle has good depth is draft so we're lucky in that respect.  Outside that FA has to play itself out as to whether we go CB or DE etc thereafter.  I simply look for fits in terms of culture, talent, availability and team needs.  Wentz fit, Watt fits, admittedly it's a long shot but I think it can be done.  I'd also cite, Reggie White as an example of a defensive player that impacted a team in such a way and won a Super Bowl, Deion Sanders had that effect as well, I think JJ brings that as well.  If you feel otherwise, that's totally fine, I happen to know QB's aren't the only leaders in a locker room, we would just disagree on that point.  You can have the last point, fun convo.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Manning and Brady, or I should say QB in general, is not a good comp. QB is a singular position which the entire O goes through, and is typically the face/leader of the team, and plays every snap. And then add on top of that PM and TB are 2 of the greatest ever and were able to play every game, all game.. And plugging them in to a team is very different than plugging in a guy who would be one of 4 on the DL, and likely playing only around 60% of snaps. 

Like I said, love to have him on a reasonable deal. I just don't see him being generous enough to make it work. I'd recommend looking at our ammo (2 early draft picks, 42ish M in cap), and solving for the holes we need to fill (2xDE, LT, WR1 and 4, CB1 and 4, MIKE, TE). 

I really do think most of the team will be put back together from last year. Rhodes will get a good raise, Autry and/or Houston likely, or at minimum one (similar $ to last year). TY is really the only one I don't envision being back. Perhaps Walker moves on too, but we'll need to fill that hole as Oke doesn't look to be the 3 down answer. Anyways, lot of high dollar holes, with decent, not great ammo. I'm hoping they go DE in the 1st, LT in the second. Back to the question above, how would you allocate the draft picks and $, while filling all the holes, and making it work with Watt.

Wow, you don't think Oke can play 3 downs? I guess that explains your gif on my other post. Time will tell I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

I don't think we actually disagree on that much here,  the allocation of draft capital is simply unknowable as is who will be resigned and what other teams will do.  To be honest , I can't play that game, it's too much and I'm happy to watch it play itself out. I will say, I would target a Tackle in Rd one, I like the idea of a starting LT on a rookie deal and I like keeping Nelson at G., Tackle has good depth is draft so we're lucky in that respect.  Outside that FA has to play itself out as to whether we go CB or DE etc thereafter.  I simply look for fits in terms of culture, talent, availability and team needs.  Wentz fit, Watt fits, admittedly it's a long shot but I think it can be done.  I'd also cite, Reggie White as an example of a defensive player that impacted a team in such a way and won a Super Bowl, Deion Sanders had that effect as well, I think JJ brings that as well.  If you feel otherwise, that's totally fine, I happen to know QB's aren't the only leaders in a locker room, we would just disagree on that point.  You can have the last point, fun convo.

I agree we don't disagree, except really on the details on how it would work. 

On the draft class in general, it's a really good class for two positions IMO. WR and T. I think we can get away with a T in the 2nd, and be just fine with Nelson playing on the rook's hip. Might take the rook half the season to adjust, but again, Nelson makes it easier just being there. I say that because I think we need to go DE in R1, instead of using 2nd and 3rd rounders on developmental DEs like we've done in Ballard's tenure here. It's just hard to get a 3 down DE after the 1st. T on the other hand, looks pretty good in the 2nd..... That assumes they evaluate and pick the right one of course. They've done good in that area (Smith), so I'm going to trust they can.

And not saying QBs are the only leaders in the locker room. I'm just saying comparing Brady and Manning is a horrible comp. QB is unlike any position. And Watts injury situation the last 2 years makes the gamble pretty big. Like I said, I'd love to have him if we can fill the other holes. It's really not that hard to look at the holes, and do the math.

Re-reading this thread...... it makes one realize how tough its going to be to find that stud DE the Colts clearly need. 

My take: you keep the bird in the hand that you have in Houston. He's solid, and they need that kind of stable play at one DE. 

As for the other DE slot, its one of four solutions:

1. Pray that Turay develops ( a true gamble );

2. Draft that DE with one of the first two picks ( that's still a waiting game as it will likely take time for a guy being selected in the latter part of the draft to become an impact player );

3. Go big in FA ( and then, the question is who?).

4. Do both 2 and 3. 

IMO, the only way the Colts can afford to do number 4 (my preference) is if they move Nelson to LT. That, of course, is a gamble also, but you're going to have to pay him like a LT anyway, and the guy is so talented that he will likely be rock solid out on the edge. I don't believe the Colts can afford much more cap space on the O-line, meaning a quality LT will be hard to find unless they strike gold in the draft ( no guarantee there ). It would allow the Colts to take another DE in the first round of the draft to groom and ultimately replace Houston; take an offensive tackle/guard prospect like the kid out of Oklahoma State (Jenkins)  or N Dakota (Radunz) in the second round to move next to Nelson and learn on the job, or... if Nelson isn't as good a LT as I think, eventually take over at LT; and in the process, allows the team to fill the gaping hole at the other DE spot via Free Agency.

Who would that free agent DE be? Romeo Okwara jumps out as a potentially affordable, ascending talent with the physical measurables that the Colts love...... long arms, twitchy, strong hands, quick first step, proven ability (of course, everyone loves that kind of guy). 

Trey Hendrickson, if he gets out of NO, is another major, potentially affordable talent. They will both cost money ($11-14m/yr), but this is the year to get a guy like that with the cap being so tight around the league. With less money tied up in the O-line, a player like this becomes gettable. 

Final thoughts; the Colts badly need an injection of pass rush talent, and that player would be the missing piece to a top 5 D. They have to pay Nelson anyway. They can afford one major splash player in free agency. Why not go out in FA and get the DE they so desperately need, re-sign Houston, re-sign their other key defensive FA in Rhodes, and get the D where it needs to be? 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Re-reading this thread...... it makes one realize how tough its going to be to find that stud DE the Colts clearly need. 

My take: you keep the bird in the hand that you have in Houston. He's solid, and they need that kind of stable play at one DE. 

As for the other DE slot, its one of four solutions:

1. Pray that Turay develops ( a true gamble );

2. Draft that DE with one of the first two picks ( that's still a waiting game as it will likely take time for a guy being selected in the latter part of the draft to become an impact player );

3. Go big in FA ( and then, the question is who?).

4. Do both 2 and 3. 

IMO, the only way the Colts can afford to do number 4 (my preference) is if they move Nelson to LT. That, of course, is a gamble also, but you're going to have to pay him like a LT anyway, and the guy is so talented that he will likely be rock solid out on the edge. I don't believe the Colts can afford much more cap space on the O-line, meaning a quality LT will be hard to find unless they strike gold in the draft ( no guarantee there ). It would allow the Colts to take another DE in the first round of the draft to groom and ultimately replace Houston; take an offensive tackle/guard prospect like the kid out of Oklahoma State (Jenkins)  or N Dakota (Radunz) in the second round to move next to Nelson and learn on the job, or... if Nelson isn't as good a LT as I think, eventually take over at LT; and in the process, allows the team to fill the gaping hole at the other DE spot via Free Agency.

Who would that free agent DE be? Romeo Okwara jumps out as a potentially affordable, ascending talent with the physical measurables that the Colts love...... long arms, twitchy, strong hands, quick first step, proven ability (of course, everyone loves that kind of guy). 

Trey Hendrickson, if he gets out of NO, is another major, potentially affordable talent. They will both cost money ($11-14m/yr), but this is the year to get a guy like that with the cap being so tight around the league. With less money tied up in the O-line, a player like this becomes gettable. 

Final thoughts; the Colts badly need an injection of pass rush talent, and that player would be the missing piece to a top 5 D. They have to pay Nelson anyway. They can afford one major splash player in free agency. Why not go out in FA and get the DE they so desperately need, re-sign Houston, re-sign their other key defensive FA in Rhodes, and get the D where it needs to be? 

Things really seemed to click the last quarter of 2020 for Okwara. Not sure if that's enough to gamble big given his first 4.5 years were very meh.

37 minutes ago, krunk said:

Your thoughts on Leonard Williams?

First of all, I'd say bad fit for us. He's a 3-4 DE. In our system he'd be a tweener, or maybe even a 3T. 

Great against the run, average vs the pass. Very solid 3 down guy overall in a 3-4.

IMO, even if he was a fit, we don't need run D help, and he'd be too expensive. Overall just not the benefit and value we need.

On 2/27/2021 at 9:07 AM, Rally5 said:

The conversation was about Watt v Houston.  If I said player it was meant to be implied to the topic being discussed in the thread, sorry if I confused you.

Watt is not a good scheme fit. Period. Especially not at that price point and having played his entire career in basically the same scheme. I don't care what anyone says but Houston would be a really logical signing. You don't need him to be Superman with Buckner doing 3 tech. 

If worse comes to worst with this cap squeeze, you could get Houston on a one year rental for a discount. He's already cleared almost $100M over his career and he was solid in 2020. There is no way I chase Watt in FA for a premium coming out of a 3-4 scheme. Green Bay is a much better fit for him. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Things really seemed to click the last quarter of 2020 for Okwara. Not sure if that's enough to gamble big given his first 4.5 years were very meh.

No doubt any move is a gamble of some kind or another. If its an older guy, is the player injury prone or on the downhill side of his career? If a younger guy, will he still perform with serious coin in his pocket for the first time? But in the end, you have to look at recent production. If the guy has a good rep for being a hard worker and improved his play such that he's become an impact player, he's worth the gamble, IMO. Maybe not for a contract longer than 3 years, but I like taking a shot at an ascending talent. 

More importantly, if you believe, as I do, that the defense HAS to get much better at rushing the passer, especially since our D coordinator seems to have a serious allergy to blitzing, then the push to find that missing piece has to take its place front and center over other needs. 

1 minute ago, Hoose said:

No doubt any move is a gamble of some kind or another. If its an older guy, is the player injury prone or on the downhill side of his career? If a younger guy, will he still perform with serious coin in his pocket for the first time? But in the end, you have to look at recent production. If the guy has a good rep for being a hard worker and improved his play such that he's become an impact player, he's worth the gamble, IMO. Maybe not for a contract longer than 3 years, but I like taking a shot at an ascending talent. 

More importantly, if you believe, as I do, that the defense HAS to get much better at rushing the passer, especially since our D coordinator seems to have a serious allergy to blitzing, then the push to find that missing piece has to take its place front and center over other needs. 

I think Flus simply needs to blitz more to be honest. Between the lack of blitzing and stunting, and our soft zone, I just can't envision our pass rush getting a lot better even with an upgrade at DE. Not blitzing/stunting let's the OL settle in, and makes their jobs much easier. And playing soft zone allows easy pass after easy pass, and almost makes it impossible for coverage sacks. Just not sure why we stay so conservative. 

On RO, I'd have to look at those last 4-5 opponents last year. If he played at a high level all year that's one thing, but he played mediocre for 4.5-4.75 years, and looks fantastic only in the last 4-5 games? The situation just needs more context and digging.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

First of all, I'd say bad fit for us. He's a 3-4 DE. In our system he'd be a tweener, or maybe even a 3T. 

Great against the run, average vs the pass. Very solid 3 down guy overall in a 3-4.

IMO, even if he was a fit, we don't need run D help, and he'd be too expensive. Overall just not the benefit and value we need.

12 sacks and avg vs the pass? Yeah hed be a tweener with us from what i saw he plays inside and outside.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think Flus simply needs to blitz more to be honest. Between the lack of blitzing and stunting, and our soft zone, I just can't envision our pass rush getting a lot better even with an upgrade at DE. Not blitzing/stunting let's the OL settle in, and makes their jobs much easier. And playing soft zone allows easy pass after easy pass, and almost makes it impossible for coverage sacks. Just not sure why we stay so conservative. 

On RO, I'd have to look at those last 4-5 opponents last year. If he played at a high level all year that's one thing, but he played mediocre for 4.5-4.75 years, and looks fantastic only in the last 4-5 games? The situation just needs more context and digging.

Ok that's a good point man. I'm curious about your opinion on this one. What if you had a guy like Okereke doing James Farrior like things? You've got a good FS. I see both sides of this argument. It's an interesting conundrum. Solid push every single down with a little trickery. Also if you have a solid running game it makes play calling so much easier and whoever you put in there is going to have an easier job. Just theorizing man.

On 2/28/2021 at 6:09 PM, krunk said:

12 sacks and avg vs the pass? Yeah hed be a tweener with us from what i saw he plays inside and outside.

Purely my opinion, but his 11.5 sacks 2020 stats are a bit of an aberration. He had 7.5 sacks total in his previous 3 years. Perhaps he's just a better fit for the NYGs, but even last year with his 11.5 sacks, his pass rush grade wasn't near as good as his sack total would suggest. His PRWR was also not top 10, like you might expect with that sack total. On the other hand, perhaps things are just clicking for him now and we'll see big things from him (similar to 2020) more consistently. IMO though, his sack total will drop in 2021. 

Regardless, I don't see him as a fit for us and our 4-3, and I don't see Ballard pony-ing up the $ for him. For him to be successful for us, he'd be an early down or 2 down DE vs the run, then we'd bump him to 3T on 3rd, and Buckner to NT. Not saying it wouldn't work, or even be successful, I just don't see it happening, and I think he might be a bit overrated this year simply due to his 2020 sacks.

I found the below from PFF. Sums up some of my thoughts. 

19. DI LEONARD WILLIAMS

One of the surest bets in the class, Williams has graded between 70.0 and 82.0 in all six years of his career. Run defense is his calling card, as he ranks in the 86th percentile in PFF run-defense grade since entering the league and with his best work coming as a B and C gap defender. Williams is an average pass-rusher and even with a career-high 13 sacks this season, he’s yet to break a 72.0 pass-rush grade for his career. Still, Williams has been one of the most valuable interior defensive linemen in the league since 2015, and his level of consistency is a plus for potential suitors.

Contract Analysis: Williams was traded from the New York Jets to the New York Giants in 2019 and had to move his locker across Metlife Stadium. He may be moving much further than that after the 2020 season unless he can agree to a long-term extension with the Giants coming off the franchise tag. A second franchise tag for Williams would cost the Giants $19,351,200 (120% of his current tag) and isn’t out of the question. That number also provides a solid floor for Williams in negotiations in terms of an average per year amount.

Prediction: Panthers sign Williams for four years, $80 million ($20M APY): $47.5M total guaranteed, $32.5M fully guaranteed at signing.

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but his 11.5 sacks 2020 stats are a bit of an aberration. He had 7.5 sacks total in his previous 3 years. Perhaps he's just a better fit for the NYGs, but even last year with his 11.5 sacks, his pass rush grade wasn't near as good as his sack total would suggest. His PRWR was also not top 10, like you might expect with that sack total. On the other hand, perhaps things are just clicking for him now and we'll see big things from him (similar to 2020) more consistently. IMO though, his sack total will drop in 2021. 

Regardless, I don't see him as a fit for us and our 4-3, and I don't see Ballard pony-ing up the $ for him. For him to be successful for us, he'd be an early down or 2 down DE vs the run, then we'd bump him to 3T on 3rd, and Buckner to NT. Not saying it wouldn't work, or even be successful, I just don't see it happening, and I think he might be a bit overrated this year simply due to his 2020 sacks.

I found the below from PFF. Sums up some of my thoughts. 

In support of East Streets view...    what I’ve read about Williams since he joined the Giants is...   disappointment.  Underachiever.  And when his play started to tick up what I read was...    sure, he’s playing better now...   it’s his contract year. 

Personally....   not a big fan of players like this...   Clowney too.   There’s a term for players like this....    coach killer. 

They're paid to be great.   And they flash greatness from time to time.  It’s a tease.   But not nearly enough to be worth their money.   They’re paid on their reputation, but ultimately they rarely give you enough bang for the buck.    Pass. 

On 2/28/2021 at 6:13 PM, JoeThornburg said:

Ok that's a good point man. I'm curious about your opinion on this one. What if you had a guy like Okereke doing James Farrior like things? You've got a good FS. I see both sides of this argument. It's an interesting conundrum. Solid push every single down with a little trickery. Also if you have a solid running game it makes play calling so much easier and whoever you put in there is going to have an easier job. Just theorizing man.

My "in general" thoughts on Oke....  He's a great kid, hard worker, but average traits. He was a slightly above average ILB at Stanford. IMO, he was/is undersized for an ILB/MIKE. He was the best Stanford had to fill the middle, so I understand why they had him there. Stepping up to the NFL though is a challenge in the middle. He succeeded when his scope was limited to passing downs LB. He was given more snaps, and played earlier downs last year, and simply struggled. He's never really been a "fast processor" (like Leonard is), but his bigger issue IMO is simply vs the run, and especially in traffic. He's not been physical enough to shed a lot of blockers, and isn't fast enough processing or agility wise to avoid the blocking in the first place.

Maybe the game slows down for him in year 3? Maybe he picks up good weight and strength? IMO, he'd have to significantly improve in both those areas to grow into a 3 down guy. May sound simple, but it's a lot to ask though. If he can't, we need to look at going back to a MIKE by committee situation. I know it doesn't sound ideal, but the Walker/Oke combo in 2019 was pretty darn good. Both did well at their limited rolls. Walker was a tackle machine, and Oke did much much better focusing on the passing game. That said, the fly in the ointment though is the rip/liz stuff added to the D. I think that impacted a lot of guys in pass coverage including DBs and LBs. Good for some, bad for others. Year 3 will be interesting.

As far as FS, I'm cautiously optimistic there. Good the first half of the season when playing downhill vs what was in front of him. Very poor the second half when QBs started testing him. IMO, same weaknesses he had in college. He's a monster hitter, but get's burnt on the back end. I do think he can take a step forward this year so long as he's committed to re-working his game, and being more disciplined. That said, FS is a wildcard to me. And back to the rip/liz impact, if we continue to play more C3 single high, traits like Hooker's will be missed. 

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In support of East Streets view...    what I’ve read about Williams since he joined the Giants is...   disappointment.  Underachiever.  And when his play started to tick up what I read was...    sure, he’s playing better now...   it’s his contract year. 

Personally....   not a big fan of players like this...   Clowney too.   There’s a term for players like this....    coach killer. 

They're paid to be great.   And they flash greatness from time to time.  It’s a tease.   But not nearly enough to be worth their money.   They’re paid on their reputation, but ultimately they rarely give you enough bang for the buck.    Pass. 

Yeah, my little voice partly thinks the same (perhaps contract year type of performance). I just hate saying it out loud, as he was considered very very raw when drafted. He was used all over the place at USC, and relied way too much on his natural gifts instead of technique. Maybe he was a bit lazy, but it's also possible he was just raw, wasn't able to focus, and things are just now clicking. Or maybe he was lazy a bit, and finally grew up or matured enough to commit to his craft. 

He's an interesting guy to follow. I could see it falling either way. I remember his recruiting out of HS (think he was out of Mainland) Thought for sure he'd end up at FSU, UF, or Auburn. My FSU and Auburn buds thought he was a lock lol. One of my FSU buds swore USC bought him a car lol. I was hoping ND would offer, but rumor was, he didn't have close to the grades needed.

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

We could watch the Colts another 20 years and not see a pass rusher like those two guys, honestly. They were all-timers.

Imagine if we would've had a player like a Warren Sapp or Aaron Donald at tackle. Our D would've been complete, unfortunately teams could run us in the playoffs because we didn't. Having said that Freeney is a Hall of Famer IMO and Mathis may be as well. It would be pure dumb luck if we got another pass rusher that is even close to those 2. Houston in his prime was close and still good. I hope re-sign Houston, he still has game.

The Colts are in a bit of a rough spot with the DE position with both Autry and Houston free agents.

We need Autry as he is our only alternative to Buckner at 3-tech. The 2020 game against the Titans where we got badly beaten we were missing both Buckner and Autry. My biggest issues with him is he is not all that productive.

Houston is our best DE at the moment and we need his or at least comparable production.

So, do we let them both walk leaving us needing 2 DEs and a back up 3-tech? Do we keep Autry and find a new DE to take Houstons spot? Do we keep Houston and find a new D-lineman to fill Autry shoes or a DE AND a back up 3-tech?

No matter what we either have to luck out in the draft or break the bank in FA.

On 2/28/2021 at 8:22 AM, EastStreet said:

On the draft class in general, it's a really good class for two positions IMO. WR and T. I think we can get away with a T in the 2nd, and be just fine with Nelson playing on the rook's hip. Might take the rook half the season to adjust, but again, Nelson makes it easier just being there. I say that because I think we need to go DE in R1, instead of using 2nd and 3rd rounders on developmental DEs like we've done in Ballard's tenure here. It's just hard to get a 3 down DE after the 1st. T on the other hand, looks pretty good in the 2nd..... That assumes they evaluate and pick the right one of course. They've done good in that area (Smith), so I'm going to trust they can.

And not saying QBs are the only leaders in the locker room. I'm just saying comparing Brady and Manning is a horrible comp. QB is unlike any position. And Watts injury situation the last 2 years makes the gamble pretty big. Like I said, I'd love to have him if we can fill the other holes. It's really not that hard to look at the holes, and do the math.

Looks like we made a strong run at JJ...I'd say we better get Houston re-signed now, I think we will.

On 2/28/2021 at 8:22 AM, EastStreet said:

I agree about DE in first round we can still get a quality Tackle in 2nd if needed. I hope Rousseau falls to 21.

14 hours ago, Superman said:

What about re-signing Houston, signing Von Miller, re-signing Rhodes, and maybe adding another vet corner (Peterson, Bouye)? 

Then on offense, keep Hilton, draft a LT, and get this thing going.

As great as Von Miller has been, you wonder if he'll translate to the 4-3 effectively. Clearly, Mathis did it in the opposite way, but you never know. Plus, the injuries...... is he the same player? Because he's going to want big time money. I'm not totally against it, but I'd feel better going with Okwara from Detroit, who is younger, an ascending talent and a true 4-3 DE. 

52 minutes ago, Hoose said:

As great as Von Miller has been, you wonder if he'll translate to the 4-3 effectively. Clearly, Mathis did it in the opposite way, but you never know. Plus, the injuries

Von has played some 4-3 in Denver, I did a quick google check and apparently he rushed from a 2 point stance at DE.  He is a little taller and heavier than Robert, but they are pretty close in size.

I'm not an expert in these mechanics, I wonder if the two point stance would work on running plays.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

As great as Von Miller has been, you wonder if he'll translate to the 4-3 effectively. Clearly, Mathis did it in the opposite way, but you never know. Plus, the injuries...... is he the same player? Because he's going to want big time money. I'm not totally against it, but I'd feel better going with Okwara from Detroit, who is younger, an ascending talent and a true 4-3 DE. 

I'm not worried about Von Miller in a 4-3 at all, he'd be fine. The only question is whether he can stay healthy. I think Okwara is more likely to get big money than Miller.

Am at the point were if we had to flip a coin and keep Houston or Autry would say resign Autry.  Then would bring Ryan Kerrigan back home to Indiana and see how much he has left as a starter.

As another pointed out earlier the Colts really haven’t pursued a top edge player early in the draft and honestly think the same thing is going to happen again this year.  Right now LT, WR, CB and even a DT to replace Stewart in two years wouldn’t surprise me being our top two picks. Case can be made for other positions as immediate need (AC retired) or a 1-2 year plan to replace players like Hilton and Rhodes.  If we can’t find something this FA maybe next year tbd.

Archived