Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts biggest weakness

BlueShoe

Curious what other fans think. Different opinions are okay. I’m sure some will say it’s the uncertainty at QB in 2021. That’s a legit answer. Will it be Rivers, Eason, Wentz, Darnold, draft pick? A worthy debate. 

My opinion might surprise a few. I believe the Colts biggest weakness is the depth at OT, and I think it’s cost us a few games too. When AC and/or Smith is out, it limits our offense. I believe we would have beaten Tennessee (at home) and Pittsburg with better depth at OT. I also think we would have been in it until the last play against Cleveland in a shootout if we had better depth at LT. 

With AC getting older, I’d be surprised if we don’t address our OT needs very early (possibly first round) in the draft. If the value is there, I wouldn’t even be surprised to see Ballard use 2 of the first 4 picks on OT’s. Maybe Ballard has his eye on some diamonds in the rough free agent OT’s too. 

Pinter gives us quality depth in the middle, but we need that stability at OT too. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like a lot of teams, I think it may be coaching/play calling.  Watching the game yesterday, it seemed to me that the running game was going pretty well.  I think once you have a bit of a lead, and you have a good running game...go with it till it does not work.  That play where Rivers fumbled and which turned the game around....I did not think we should have been passing there...just running..or some screens.

Against a team that is know for pass rushing, you don't want to take too many chances.  Just IMO and of course hindsight is 20-20

And those pass interference calls...well...that was a big deal.  I don't know how you can protect against that...maybe coach up the db's more.

26 minutes ago, eaglerockdude said:

Like a lot of teams, I think it may be coaching/play calling.  Watching the game yesterday, it seemed to me that the running game was going pretty well.  I think once you have a bit of a lead, and you have a good running game...go with it till it does not work.  That play where Rivers fumbled and which turned the game around....I did not think we should have been passing there...just running..or some screens.

Against a team that is know for pass rushing, you don't want to take too many chances.  Just IMO and of course hindsight is 20-20

And those pass interference calls...well...that was a big deal.  I don't know how you can protect against that...maybe coach up the db's more.

I agree with some of your points. Offensive play calling has been very questionable all year for me. Frank has made some very curious pass calls in obvious running situations. 

We were up by 17 points and throwing the ball with both starting OT’s out. We had 116 yards rushing in the first half. Focusing on the pass game in the second half made no sense to me. I’m not saying we should have been completely predictable, but I believe we should have heavily favored the running game in the second half. That said, I knew we wouldn’t. It’s not in Frank’s nature to do that. 

I think more often than not, Frank’s aggressiveness gets us into trouble. 

I agree that we lack depth at the tackle position. I think that is the biggest weakness that needs to get fixed. I had feeling that losing both tackles for yesterday's game would prove to be an issue and it was. Rivers was getting heat most of the game. The fumble, the pick and few throws that were misfires were due to lack of quality at tackle position.  

I am not sure why we went into this season with so little depth at this spot. We never replaced the loss of Haeg in FA, which was a mistake. We also have weakness in the pass rush.We had no pass rush yesterday. We really need someone who can consistently put pressure on the QB. it is also apparent that we need to upgrade at cornerback.  Rock is not the answer. He gets beat too often  and is usually flagged for holding/PI's in almost every game. Lastly, we need an upgrade at TE. We get by with Doyle-Burton-MAC but it would be great if we could get a real receiving threat at that position. We need a Dallas Clark type of TE for this team.

4 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

Lastly, we need an upgrade at TE. We get by with Doyle-Burton-MAC but it would be great if we could get a real receiving threat at that position. We need a Dallas Clark type of TE for this team.

I want to agree, but I just don't know about Mo.  He has looked very good in limited action this year.  I don't understand why Reich doesn't have him in more.   The potential seems to be there.     He seems like an untapped talent.  

53 minutes ago, eaglerockdude said:

BINGO

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

I want to agree, but I just don't know about Mo.  He has looked very good in limited action this year.  I don't understand why Reich doesn't have him in more.   The potential seems to be there.     He seems like an untapped talent.  

Burton is Reich guy. Had him in at the most critical point of the game. 

I am convinced our weakness comes down to play calling with our backs. Regardless of being down OT, we should NOT have stepped away from the running game and started throwing the ball like we were. Taylor and Hines BOTH were getting it done on the ground. These audibles at the line for Rivers to throw and hold onto the ball for multiple seconds cost us. We can go on and on about the refs shafting us all we want. But in the end, the plays to remove Hines and Taylor doomed us. 

If we manage to make it into the playoffs, this team has got to stop trying to change the script when the script is working for us. 

I’m also going to call out our defensive schemes in the second half. This prevent crap and giving their WR 6-7 yards of cushion instead of playing close and forcing tight throws like the first half which completely shut them down is beyond me. It makes zero sense. 

In the broadest sense - pass defense.  All season long, in most every game, we go through periods where teams pass with impunity.  Be it lack of pressure on the QB, secondary personnel, or coaching/scheme it's our achilles heel (IMO).

With the high possibility of Jacksonville picking up a franchise QB, it becomes even more important.

RIght behind that, I'd say OT.  Costanzo is likely gone soon (or injured) and our lack of depth has really hurt us.

3 minutes ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

Dominant edge rusher ,Houston not what he once was and turay while coming off serious injury is not the answer at this time 

Turay should not be counted on at all beyond depth. He has done nothing to prove he is a starting DE or #1 pass rush option.  If a two down player capable of 10+ sacks is available, the Colts have to seriously look at acquiring them. 

Houston has been a great player but he is about to the point of his career where he should be a great rotational piece. I could see him signing with a contender to be just that.  

I have said all season they are a two quarter team. I think Costanzo's absence yesterday hurt Rivers' comfort about protection but this team is swelling with talent on both sides so it is not the players when they are schizophrenic like 21 points if the first and 3 in the second quarter.

Wide receiver is not a major need. Pascal has grown into a very reliable receiver. Pittman has flashed and will get better. if Campbell can stay healthy he will be good. Colts have decision to make on TY but I believe they will bring him back. He has looked very good in the past several games . If anything we may see what we have with balance of receivers on roster or look at a FA  to fill out roster.  

We need to add depth at tackle with eye on eventual replacement for AC. our other needs are; pass rusher, CB and TE. I sense that Rivers will be back. Brissett is likely gone. Colts need to decide if Eason has a future or whether they need to bring in a FA QB or draft a QB. FA market is not good other than back up for Rivers.  We have too many other needs that are more critical. We might be able to nurse one more season out of Rivers.

I like Reich as our coach. I get the angst most of us have on play calling. I thought we got away from the run game as well. It was working. Zone coverage for the Colts is not good -it appeared to play into the Steeler's strength - short passing game. our biggest need is upgrades and depth at critical positions. We have a good defense but not an elite defense.  Colts have needs on pass rush and CB. We need help at tackle (depth for now)  but can use an upgrade at TE to add to the colts passing game.

17 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Their biggest weakness is they can only play half a game most of the time....especially when they are up at the half.

They make no adjustments, but the other team does, and that ends up biting them.

Agreed and that's a coaching and adjustment problem. We make adjustments we dont need, and dont make the ones we need too. Mind boggling how we abandoned the run game up by 10 points.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Coaching and play calling is my choice.   Way too many games where the team is great in one half and horrible in the other.  

Yes, they don't seem capable of making adjustments on the fly. It's obvious they make adjustments at halftime, but from series to series in the same half, not so much.

How about a curve ball here? Maybe Rivers is changing the run call to a passing play far too often? They stacked up to stop the run in the second half...... as well as the short slants. Did he switch out of run plays constantly in the second half? Worth asking. IIRC, Reich suggested they had far more run plays called than were used because of the defensive look. That’s on Rivers is it not?

9 minutes ago, Hoose said:

How about a curve ball here? Maybe Rivers is changing the run call to a passing play far too often? They stacked up to stop the run in the second half...... as well as the short slants. Did he switch out of run plays constantly in the second half? Worth asking. IIRC, Reich suggested they had far more run plays called than were used because of the defensive look. That’s on Rivers is it not?

It’s a legitimate discussion. Rivers could have very well checked out of running calls sent in to him. Pittsburgh was definitely stacking the box in the second half. 

Pass rush is our biggest weakness. It exposes our secondary. 

Big Ben threw it 49 times. They figured out that we are good against the run and bad at defending the pass, especially without any pass rush.

The blueprint is out. Go pass heavy, you beat the Colts.

18 minutes ago, Hoose said:

U dont run into a brick wall to prove a point. The passing plays were there, they just didnt execute. Lets say they ran more in the 2nd half into the loaded Steelers front eight. Would have been a lot of 3 and outs and given the Steelers  plenty of time on the clock to come back

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

Coaching and play calling is my choice.   Way too many games where the team is great in one half and horrible in the other.  

I can agree with this, especially with regards to our propensity to abandon the run when it's working well for us and it doesn't make sense to do it. It seems like we do it to "not be one-dimensional" but I think if running the ball is really effective, keep doing it until they stop you.

22 minutes ago, Myles said:

This is also something I've thought about. Mo has had moments of pure dominance and yet doesn't seem to be a focal point of the offense on any sort of regular basis. I haven't been focusing in on him, so I'm not sure if they try to get him the ball, but he's just not getting open or if they truly just aren't utilizing him.

22 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Turay should not be counted on at all beyond depth. He has done nothing to prove he is a starting DE or #1 pass rush option.  If a two down player capable of 10+ sacks is available, the Colts have to seriously look at acquiring them. 

Considering he's a few weeks into actually playing after not playing for over a year due to his injury, I wouldn't say that's an indictment of his overall play. He's had some flashes in limited snaps and I'm assuming will really benefit from a full offseason. I wouldn't say DE is a dire need at this point, but I also wouldn't let Turay's potential keep me from bringing in another edge rusher as well in the offseason.

We cannot protect a lead like the Peyton days because we do not have a good rotation of pass rushers. Unless Eberflus starts blitzing more, we have to hope the opposing QB makes mistakes and if they do not, our hope lies on our offensive execution which comes back to protecting an immobile QB who cannot use his legs to extend drives.

So, yeah, OT and DE feed off each other as critical positions of need, even more than WR. 

Plus, why the heck was Rivers throwing on 1st and 10 to Pittman to a crowd with 6 plus minutes to go? We had plenty of time to build a drive, run the ball and come up with a game winning drive. 

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Curious what other fans think. Different opinions are okay. I’m sure some will say it’s the uncertainty at QB in 2021. That’s a legit answer. Will it be Rivers, Eason, Wentz, Darnold, draft pick? A worthy debate. 

My opinion might surprise a few. I believe the Colts biggest weakness is the depth at OT, and I think it’s cost us a few games too. When AC and/or Smith is out, it limits our offense. I believe we would have beaten Tennessee (at home) and Pittsburg with better depth at OT. I also think we would have been in it until the last play against Cleveland in a shootout if we had better depth at LT. 

With AC getting older, I’d be surprised if we don’t address our OT needs very early (possibly first round) in the draft. If the value is there, I wouldn’t even be surprised to see Ballard use 2 of the first 4 picks on OT’s. Maybe Ballard has his eye on some diamonds in the rough free agent OT’s too. 

Pinter gives us quality depth in the middle, but we need that stability at OT too. 

It seems safe to assume that this will be AC's final season.  He almost hung it up after last season.  And he's had a couple of injuries (knee and ankle) this year.

There are at least 5 or 6 OTs who could go in the first round.  It seems plausible, if not likely, that we'd take one of them.  But, as far as depth and backups go, I don't think the Colts are in any significantly worse position than any other team.  Depth is hard to get at all positions -- including, and maybe especially, OL.

But, yeah, Webb showed yesterday why he's gone from a starter in 70+ games to a 2nd option on the practice squad.

One other thing on this....keep in mind the extraordinary impact of COVID.  All teams are having to take unprecedented steps to fill out weekly active rosters -- in addition to what they'd have to do in a normal year due to injuries and illness.

Heck, the Browns had to play yesterday without any of their regular receivers.

30 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Pass rush is our biggest weakness. It exposes our secondary. 

Big Ben threw it 49 times. They figured out that we are good against the run and bad at defending the pass, especially without any pass rush.

The blueprint is out. Go pass heavy, you beat the Colts.

It’s like a sad story I’ve read too many times. Was really hoping the Steelers would keep trying to run the ball. It’s like our team, including the coaches, panic and our entire D loses its ability to play soundly. 

I’m not sure what the answer is. More pass rush? Better corners? Coaching change?

4 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Frank Reich is our biggest weakness 

Archived