Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers requires surgery on his foot (Merged)

zibby43

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Stephen said:

Any qb that can step into throws is better than one who can't. Assuming  he can't do  to injury

Okay, then if that's the premise of your argument. Why not play Brissett instead. 

Again you've seen nothing that shows Eason > Brissett much less Rivers.

1 hour ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Quentin Nelson is a guard.

he is now, he said he could play LT if a team wanted him too at the combine.  he was a tackle in high school for what its worth and likely would have played it at Notre dame if they did not already have a good player there 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If, if, if, if.

Bottom line is....   you don’t know.   None of us knows.   But you sure don’t seem to understand how much the front office and coaching staff values Jacoby.   He’s a key part of what we do. 

I get that, and the short yardage “Jacoby” package has been pretty effective, save for Week 1 in which nothing seemed to work. I thought he would be a great fit in Dallas after Dak went down, but I credit Ballard for not just giving him away, perhaps Jerry Jones wasn’t willing to panic & overpay, especially with Andy Dalton on the roster but when he got hurt as well, I’ll bet Jones would’ve preferred another option at quarterback to rookie Ben DiNucci. All that occurred before the NFL trading deadline, and I think the Cowboys could be running away with their sorry Division had they acquired Brissett.

With that said, he is terrific insurance here in the event that Philip couldn’t go, and his presence saves the Colts from having to rely on a rookie QB in the event of that disastrous circumstance.

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

I think it's Eason time.  Just because he's a rookie doesn't mean he can't perform at the level of a seasoned QB.  Besides he's being carrying the clipboard for over half the season and should be familiar with the playbook.  Let's see what he can do....

While we're still in the thick of the playoff hunt, with 2 seasoned veteran quarterbacks ahead of him on the depth chart? I could see getting him some mop up time in the event of a blowout, but most of our games are so close that we don't really have the luxury of playing Eason, at the expense of 2 QBs who account for roughly $31 million in salary just this year alone.

2 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I get that, and the short yardage “Jacoby” package has been pretty effective, save for Week 1 in which nothing seemed to work. I thought he would be a great fit in Dallas after Dak went down, but I credit Ballard for not just giving him away, perhaps Jerry Jones wasn’t willing to panic & overpay, especially with Andy Dalton on the roster but when he got hurt as well, I’ll bet Jones would’ve preferred another option at quarterback to rookie Ben DiNucci. All that occurred before the NFL trading deadline, and I think the Cowboys could be running away with their sorry Division had they acquired Brissett.

With that said, he is terrific insurance here in the event that Philip couldn’t go, and his presence saves the Colts from having to rely on a rookie QB in the event of that disastrous circumstance.

That's because teams fear his tremendous speed around the corner.

13 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I wish this Eason talk would stop. He IS NOT going to play this season. Unless Rivers and Brissett both go down with some type of freak injury, he's not seeing the field this season. Maybe next, but it is not happening this year.

Most likely next season, as the primary backup to Rivers while Jacoby fights for a starting opportunity elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Okay, then if that's the premise of your argument. Why not play Brissett instead. 

Again you've seen nothing that shows Eason > Brissett much less Rivers.

If rivers can't  go that's  who they'd start. Doesn't  matter as long as they can step into theows and aren't  limiting  offense 

4 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I think the Cowboys could be running away with their sorry Division had they acquired Brissett.

that would be a consolation prize, they are not a super bowl team with jacoby and they would have to give up picks to get him.  they need to build with picks, not trade for a few games worth of jacoby(at a high salary too)

he would have little time to learn the system and its not like hes super talented 

4 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I think it's Eason time.  Just because he's a rookie doesn't mean he can't perform at the level of a seasoned QB.  Besides he's being carrying the clipboard for over half the season and should be familiar with the playbook.  Let's see what he can do....

You know this based on what?  First rivers already played a game with this injury and did okay when not under pressure.  Second the coaches and Colts have said over and over again that Jacoby is the backup.  I know some don’t like that but in the Colts mind it’s not a question of who the backup is.  Third needing to win going down the stretch they aren’t going to turn a rookie who hasn’t even dressed yet let alone take a NFL snap, even in a pre-season game, over a guy who has starting experience and is in his third year in this offense.  Fourth the coaches don’t think Eason is ready to dress yet let alone play.  They have seen him and we haven’t maybe just maybe they are in position to know better about if he’s ready or not.  

50 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If rivers can't  go that's  who they'd start. Doesn't  matter as long as they can step into theows and aren't  limiting  offense 

Listen to anything the Colts have said this year.  It’s Jacoby.  It’s not a question in their mind.  I know some here want it to be a question but it’s not.  

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

RIvers was full practice today and doesn’t even have a injury status. He is fine.

Yeah.

Except for the part where he's not.

Players don't go from a bad big toe injury to fine in a matter of days.    The team may not list anything,  but the truth is out there,  whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah.

Except for the part where he's not.

Players don't go from a bad big toe injury to fine in a matter of days.    The team may not list anything,  but the truth is out there,  whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

He is clearly  better then last week because he has no iniury status and he fully practiced. This thread is way over blown. 

On 12/3/2020 at 1:10 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Okay then so panic.  There is nothing that can be done about it unless you want Jacoby to start.  

colts should let jacoby start , let rivers heal up without a game setting him back .  jacoby lit up the texans both games last year with pascal being his number 1 .  

57 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

colts should let jacoby start , let rivers heal up without a game setting him back .  jacoby lit up the texans both games last year with pascal being his number 1 .  

It’s amazing to me how many here think they know better than the Colts doctors do on if a guy should play or not...

8 hours ago, aaron11 said:

he is now, he said he could play LT if a team wanted him too at the combine.  he was a tackle in high school for what its worth and likely would have played it at Notre dame if they did not already have a good player there 

I'm sure he "could" play LT and probably well. (likely better than Clark) However, it appears he hasn't seen any reps at LT this week or previous. That means he's still our LG. FR has already said Clark is our LT for now while TC is on the mend. It also appears Braden

Smith won't be sliding over to LT either.

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Yeah, Ballard & Reich should end Philip’s impressive consecutive games streak and sit him for a game, but not in favor of the rookie QB – I think I’ve seen this movie before, 3 seasons ago when Giants GM Jerry Reese & HC Ben McAdoo thought it would be a good idea to sit Eli Manning and end his 210 game streak, the longest in the NFL at the time but not to play their rookie 3rd round draft pick QB Davis Webb, but to start Geno Smith instead. They lost anyway, and Reese & McAdoo were immediately fired, and Eli started the next game and led the G-men to 1 more win that year.

On 12/3/2020 at 1:37 PM, DiogoSales said:

I really don't get people who want 7 back there, he's just not good. Rivers will play, banged up Rivers is way better than Jacoby or Eason, live with that and move on.

Just a little reminder that Jacoby was good enough to win 7 games last year.  He's not a premium starter, but he's also not a bad one.  he also put us into position to win at least 3 other games last year that circumstances beyond his control *coughAVcough* denied him, so he's better than people on here claim.

I'm just saying, there IS a point at which Rivers' limitations would make Jacoby a better option.  He's not hot garbage just because he isn't elite.

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s amazing to me how many here think they know better than the Colts doctors do on if a guy should play or not...

19 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Don’t you know? We have a board full of NFL-caliber scouts, coaches, coordinators and owners. 

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

And don’t forget GMs.  We are the greatest GMs in the history of sports!

Requirements for today's internet sport fan:

Phone, ability to speak in it, opinion, and ability to hit send. 

Not required:

Knowledge, insight, wisdom, the ability to write, the use of grammar and punctuation, or the ability to proof-read before hitting send. 

17 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

Yeah, Ballard & Reich should end Philip’s impressive consecutive games streak and sit him for a game, but not in favor of the rookie QB – I think I’ve seen this movie before, 3 seasons ago when Giants GM Jerry Reese & HC Ben McAdoo thought it would be a good idea to sit Eli Manning and end his 210 game streak, the longest in the NFL at the time but not to play their rookie 3rd round draft pick QB Davis Webb, but to start Geno Smith instead. They lost anyway, and Reese & McAdoo were immediately fired, and Eli started the next game and led the G-men to 1 more win that year.

I am starting Rivers no matter what unless he gets seriously injured. Some in here don't realize how tough Rivers is. He is the type of a guy that is old school and laughs at a toe injury.

39 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Just a little reminder that Jacoby was good enough to win 7 games last year.  He's not a premium starter, but he's also not a bad one.  he also put us into position to win at least 3 other games last year that circumstances beyond his control *coughAVcough* denied him, so he's better than people on here claim.

I'm just saying, there IS a point at which Rivers' limitations would make Jacoby a better option.  He's not hot garbage just because he isn't elite.

I like JB and have defended him a lot but he isn't better than Rivers, JB could beat the Texans IMO but with Rivers it is almost certain hurt toe and all.  

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am starting Rivers no matter what unless he gets seriously injured. Some in here don't realize how tough Rivers is. He is the type of a guy that is old school and laughs at a toe injury.

He's definitely tough - in addition to quarterback, he also played defensive back in high school and made an interception. I think he was a situational player on defense though, because even back then, he was pretty slow.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

figured this was important enough for its own thread

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-qb-philip-rivers-likely-needs-foot-surgery-after-season

well this doesn’t sound good. 

humm i wonder if we should risk playing him the rest of this year then esp with AC out his foot may get worst with the likes of green and clark blocking for him

That doesn't sound good... seems like a lot of people underestimate how important that is. It's not just about his ability to move(both in the pocket and less so outside the pocket), it's more about his ability to plant and have a stable base to deliver his throws with. No wonder he looked out of sorts last week... IMO at some point in the coming weeks it's very possible the question of whether Jacoby or injured Rivers gives us the best chance to win will stand ahead of Reich and Ballard. That's some horrible luck. Rivers has not missed many games in his career and then comes here and we got... this... :(

Archived