Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers requires surgery on his foot (Merged)

zibby43

I could see this causing Rivers to hang the cleats up after this season now.

There was a good chance anyway,  it this has to increase it, IMO.

Just now, stitches said:

That doesn't sound good... seems like a lot of people underestimate how important that is. It's not just about his ability to move(both in the pocket and less so outside the pocket), it's more about his ability to plant and have a stable base to deliver his throws with. No wonder he looked out of sorts last week... IMO at some point in the coming weeks it's very possible the question of whether Jacoby or injured Rivers gives us the best chance to win will stand ahead of Reich and Ballard. That's some horrible luck. Rivers has not missed many games in his career and then comes here and we got... this... :(

And doing it blocking none the less.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, danlhart87 said:

If thats the case I'm thinking Eason and Rookie battle it out

Or Darnold. He only would cost $4.7m for us plus whatever draft pick we would be trading.

So essentially he would cost us $3.5-$4m, when you figure in his $4.7m then subtract the cost of whatever draft pick we would send out.

Just now, w87r said:

Or Darnold. He only would cost $4.7m for us plus whatever draft pick we would be trading.

So essentially he would cost us $3.5-$4m, when you figure in his $4.7m then subtract the cost of whatever draft pick we would send out.

I don’t get what others see in Darnold

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Lets throw Reich out there

Be better than Brissett

Just now, w87r said:

I'm not completely sold on him but wouldn't be too upset about it 

It would be hilarious if we did that

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I don’t get what others see in Darnold

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm not completely sold on him but wouldn't be too upset about it 

It would be hilarious if we did that

At that price it would be worth a look at him.

He has the tools, just been in about the worst spot to try and succeed.

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

I would keep him on short leash and don't hesitate to replace him with Eason 

Well he would only have next year on his deal, however he does have a 5th yr option that would cost $25m.

Im sure, again at that price, he would be coming in to compete woth Eason.

Probably best to save this for another thread though.

Hopefully Rivers can finish out the year.

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yup, Darnold makes the most sense if Rivers decides to retire.  

If Rivers hangs it up, Jacoby likely goes elsewhere to chase money (Not that people will be clamoring maybe Saints depending if Brees hangs it up as Hill isnt looking good at all and Winston cant even see the field) but I would guess a vet comes in as a stopgap before Eason takes over or at the least battles him for the starting spot. Would think someone who is in a prove it mode and team goes different direction : Andy Dalton, Winston,Trubisky perhaps even Garrappolo

I’m almost sure this story is false.

Afterall, one of our leading posters announced yesterday that Rivers was fine because he wasn’t on the injury report all this week.   And added that the story was badly overblown.

This story has to be false.   Doesn’t it?

Well, doesn’t it?!?    No?       :peek:

:sarcasm:

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

... or until the painkillers wore off? 

So they wore off the exact same drive AC went out. Nah

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I’m almost sure this story is false.

Afterall, one of our leading posters announced yesterday that Rivers was fine because he wasn’t on the injury report all this week.   And added that the story was badly overblown.

This story has to be false.   Doesn’t it?

Well, doesn’t it?!?    No?       :peek:

:sarcasm:

He was on the injury report.

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

For 25million and playoffs on the line, he better tape that thing up and go win some ball games.  

Seriously tho, that is one tough 38yr old.  I’m still whining about the cut I got on my thumb working last week. 

He'll be 39 on Tuesday, but his foot is most likely an offseason issue. He's real tough, he'll  fight through it and take this team as far as he can.

50 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

If Rivers is having surgery after the end of the season, then, in my opinion, he is having surgery after the end of his career.

I doubt that, if he has it in mid to late February, he's got months to recover & rehab before he's even expected to do any running or throwing - I still think he's back next season, and starting for us.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It was also reported he will likely require it AFTER the season and that its basically really bad turf toe.  You can play through that depending on your pain tolerance.  It’s not ideal but not the end of the world either. 

Yeah I remember when I needed to get ankle surgery but had to wait a week. The first few days were brutal but towards the end of the week I sorta got used to the pain. Rivers is one tough dude he’s played through worse injuries.

Just now, JediXMan said:

Yeah I remember when I needed to get ankle surgery but had to wait a week. The first few days were brutal but towards the end of the week I sorta got used to the pain. Rivers is one tough dude he’s played through worse injuries.

Yep and given the ways the NFL has ways to mask pain with numbing shots I expect him to play.  Again it’s not ideal but it’s not going to cost him starts either.  I will say I do think we will continue to see the Jacoby package used but the Colts were already expanding that because it’s been effective anyways.  

FWIW the local Colts insiders are confirming the turf toe but are also saying it hasn’t been determined if Rivers will need surgery yet and the originally report said surgery was LIKLY.  This might seem like nitpicking but see as how people get worked up over QB injuries (and rightfully so) I think it’s important to accurate.  

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

If thats the case I'm thinking Eason and Rookie battle it out

But Colts are built to win now. Luck jacked up the timing of this team build.  We need a QB that can come in and win immediately. Our roster is too good. They may not want to wait for Eason or rookie to develop right now. Wouldn’t surprise me if Colts bring on another experienced vet QB in offseason to make another push for playoffs next season. Eason might be groomed to be a back up. 

Archived