Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dezmon Patmon???

Shadow_Creek

I understand a raw player doesn't have "it" but even Ballard has said you don't know what you have in a player if they don't get out on the field. 

With the injuries to WR youd think he might see just a wee bit of time. 

Is that on Ballard or Reich? 

Another thing is why is he on the active roster? He's clearly good enough to keep from other teams but he's not good enough to play? 

And what about other WRs I wont name who got promoted from the practice squad and DID get playing time... whats that all about? 

So he's too good for the practice squad but he's not good enough to play meanwhile we have another WRs who isnt good enough to stay off the practuce, getting playing time? 

Whats going on here? 

8 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

can someone please explain to me why Patmon is still inactive? i mean paschal is an ok WR but has a problem with being inconstant at times getting open. i would rotate patmon with paschal and use him as a Redzone threat as well. 

He’s way behind Pascal on the depth chart.  Pascal is a really good blocker as well as a steady receiver.  

Patmon is competing with Dulin and Johnson for playing time, and they both have more experience. 

The knock on him was that he didn’t really have many route trees in college so maybe when he shows that crispness in practice they’ll put him in.  But I agree, having any players inactive on game day is an archaic and useless NFL rule.  

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

I understand a raw player doesn't have "it" but even Ballard has said you don't know what you have in a player if they don't get out on the field. 

Another thing is why is he on the active roster? He's clearly good enough to keep from other teams but he's not good enough to play? 

And what about other WRs I wont name who got promoted from the practice squad and DID get playing time... whats that all about? 

So he's too good for the practice squad but he's not good enough to play meanwhile we have another WRs who isnt good enough to stay off the practuce, getting playing time? 

Whats going on here? 

Two thoughts. We don’t what kind of effort or performance he’s giving in practice. Or two, it’s entirely possible he’s a bit immature and doing things off the field the colts don’t like or maybe he simply doesn’t have the playbook down. In any regard, it’s all speculation

Having someone like Marcus Johnson on P.S. was because team didnt feel another club would claim him as his upside isnt high and many players just like him floating around, he is a finished product but is what he is as opposed to Patmon whom isnt closed finished and has upside teams would scoop up, he was even mentioned in an article about later round NFL finds by Todd McShay of ESPN. Team is banking he refines his route tree quick enough to be used mid season and beyond. 

https://www.colts.com/news/dezmon-patmon-todd-mcshay-espn-2020-nfl-draft-top-late-round-finds

I question the coaching that the Colts currently have. Year after year they keep players that can’t seem to coach or can’t play effectively on game day.

Zach Pascal and AD is an exception but not the rule. And how is L Clark still on the team? Even though the Colts are 3-2 now. After last week and looking at the schedule. It looks like this team is heading towards another long season. 
Here a thought, why don’t they have tryouts with the remaining players on this team including practice squad players for next year team. The Colts seems to have a lot of good practice players or training camp players but inactive, ineffective game day players. 
We as fans hear it every summer. This player is having a great camp, or that player is really flashing in practice. But on game day where are they at????

10 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

can someone please explain to me why Patmon is still inactive? i mean paschal is an ok WR but has a problem with being inconstant at times getting open. i would rotate patmon with paschal and use him as a Redzone threat as well. 

He's  been working  out with Eason. Both remain  inactive 

Pascal was open several times. Either our WR coaching is not up to snuff or our play calling is not creative enough to run more plays through them. Pascal is fine given our injury situations, complements TY very well, IMO. 

One of the league's worst secondaries in the middle and we didn't run enough plays for our TEs till probably late in the game to Burton. Now watch Big Ben and his offensive coaches exploit it.

1 hour ago, JR Indy said:

. And how is L Clark still on the team? 

Not picking on you, but I'm using this thought for a comment.

How many sacks did he give up?  What were his stats?  Who did he play against?

Are we willing to say that his stats show that he wasn't that bad.  If so, most would say that its because Rivers got rid of the ball quickly to avoid further problems. 

What would our oline stats be over the years if Luck or JB would have ever gotten rid of the ball as quickly as Rivers does?

45 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not picking on you, but I'm using this thought for a comment.

How many sacks did he give up?  What were his stats?  Who did he play against?

Are we willing to say that his stats show that he wasn't that bad.  If so, most would say that its because Rivers got rid of the ball quickly to avoid further problems. 

What would our oline stats be over the years if Luck or JB would have ever gotten rid of the ball as quickly as Rivers does?

I get that Rivers gets rid of the ball quickly, and That L Clark was going against a pro bowler, and he did the best he could. But truth be told their d line used him like a ATM machine. They didn’t attack him every play, but they was very selective when they did. In which may have led to the 9 points the Colts gave them.

The bottom line either these players can’t play or these coaches can’t coach. We are not talking about pop warner players. We are talking about players that have been to college. How hard is it to run 5 to 7 yard pattern? Is it the physical pounding these guys are afraid of? I don’t know but this is very telling on game day.

20 minutes ago, JR Indy said:

I get that Rivers gets rid of the ball quickly, and That L Clark was going against a pro bowler, and he did the best he could. But truth be told their d line used him like a ATM machine. They didn’t attack him every play, but they was very selective when they did. In which may have led to the 9 points the Colts gave them.

The bottom line either these players can’t play or these coaches can’t coach. We are not talking about pop warner players. We are talking about players that have been to college. How hard is it to run 5 to 7 yard pattern? Is it the physical pounding these guys are afraid of? I don’t know but this is very telling on game day.

I understand.  I think our activated players on Sunday were outmatched by the activated players on the Browns, in every measure.  I'm sure the coaches know they have limited talent to work with and did the best they could.

We can rehash play calls, but the coaches may have already decided that certain plays at certain times were not going to work simply because our players could not win their match ups. 

10 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Whats going on here? 

So to be fair here, who would you replace this young raw talent with on the roster? If you had to cut one WR to put him in the game, who would it be? 

my opinion is this kid has excellent tools to work with. He hasn’t been able to do all those together yet and has a season to work on them on the side yet also feel game day and game planning preparations to grow him. The team, IMHO, has taken the approach of we have an excellent group of players but they need a bit of time to invest in more relaxed grooming without the stress of felling they have to be the type of expected leader they may have been in college. Eason for example, he needs to develop but he is worth the roster spot to develop even though his roster spot could definitely be used for a skill guy or another olineman. I feel like the team has put enough talent on the team and active roster to contend this season but also an eye towards next season with regards to the Eason’s or the Patmon’s. I feel it’s an acceptable way to manage risk and reward.

In the end, we may see Patmon like we did  Dion Cain. We may have this high upside kid but is on the bottom of the roster. If we need a spot later in the season, he may be one of those first tier players who are on the we hate to do it but we need the open spot because of injury at another position. It’s just a nature of the limits of a 53 or 55 roster, good players who are being groomed, they get stuck down on the roster without playing to develop slowly while also looking to the future or in an emergency need if it happens. Time, that’s the game. 

Seems pretty strange we don't play a fast 6-4 guy already on the roster, but sign a guy to our PS, and elevate him twice and play him. Only answer is that they think folks would try to grab Patmon, while they already know Johnson is not in high demand. That still doesn't answer whey they haven't played Patmon though. What's stranger to me is that Johnson is getting a lot more snaps/targets than Fountain or Dulin, and is still sent back to the PS after the game. Pretty sure it's Johnson's last time where he can be promoted and demoted without cancelling the PS contract and becoming part of the 53.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think you control on who quotes who. 

You let a misunderstanding trick you into thinking there was a problem. 

There is no need to carry a torch with no flame. 

I strongly suggest putting him on Ignore, or just not responding to his comments. That will help prevent the back and forth that ensued.

I removed all the comments with the personal shots.

Rivers really needs a jump ball receiver.  A guy that Rivers could throw it up to in 1 on 1 situations. I think Patmon is that guy (should have been Metcalf and/or Claypool).  Time to build some chemistry between him & Rivers because I honestly ain’t seeing anyone else that could be a game breaker. It’s scary to think that Pascal is probably our best receiver at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Rivers really needs a jump ball receiver.  A guy that Rivers could throw it up to in 1 on 1 situations. I think Patmon is that guy (should have been Metcalf and/or Claypool).  Time to build some chemistry between him & Rivers because I honestly ain’t seeing anyone else that could be a game breaker. It’s scary to think that Pascal is probably our best receiver at the moment.

Yeah, he meshed well with guys like Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd and Mike Williams, Rivers was always the type of guy to throw it up and ask his guys to go get it. So yes, he would benefit from such a guy. He does like tall targets like Antonio Gates and MAC at TE too.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Seems pretty strange we don't play a fast 6-4 guy already on the roster, but sign a guy to our PS, and elevate him twice and play him. Only answer is that they think folks would try to grab Patmon, while they already know Johnson is not in high demand. That still doesn't answer whey they haven't played Patmon though. What's stranger to me is that Johnson is getting a lot more snaps/targets than Fountain or Dulin, and is still sent back to the PS after the game. Pretty sure it's Johnson's last time where he can be promoted and demoted without cancelling the PS contract and becoming part of the 53.

Once Johnson exhausts his p.s. to roster eligibility can do the same with Fountain and then Dulin if we wanted as neither gets scooped up either. 

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Once Johnson exhausts his p.s. to roster eligibility can do the same with Fountain and then Dulin if we wanted as neither gets scooped up either. 

Dulin is a STs ace (not just returns) and plays more than 50% of STs snaps. Doubt he's going to the PS. And I could see someone grabbing him.  They even used him in the running game last week. Fountain I could see, but honestly I'd rather see Fountain stay and get more snaps and targets, than pushing him down and signing MJ to the 53. And I rather see Patmon get snaps/targets than signing MJ to the 53 as well. I like MJ, but we already know his ceiling. We don't yet know Fountain, Dulin, or Patmon's ceiling. I could be wrong, but they seem to use MJ a lot as clear outs and rubs (meaning he's not a real target). There's certainly value in that, but not sure why others can't do the same. At the end of the day, I'd let Rivers choose his targets lol. 

16 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Starting to hate the Campbell pick the more I see Brown and Metcalf. Sad colts noises.

Or Diontae Johnson. Or Deebo Samuel. Or Terry McLaurin (though I was wrong about him). Hell...even Mecole Hardman looks to be a good player to have. 

But yeah...missing on both Brown and Metcalf is very disappointing. 

I know it's sacrilege to question things...but Ballard (and Reich to an extent) have not really shown a nigh level ability to evaluate and pick WRs. Pittman still has plenty of time though...and so does Campbell...so I won't write them off. I just can't help but look at the WR group...and feel meh.

43 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Or Diontae Johnson. Or Deebo Samuel. Or Terry McLaurin (though I was wrong about him). Hell...even Mecole Hardman looks to be a good player to have. 

But yeah...missing on both Brown and Metcalf is very disappointing. 

I know it's sacrilege to question things...but Ballard (and Reich to an extent) have not really shown a nigh level ability to evaluate and pick WRs. Pittman still has plenty of time though...and so does Campbell...so I won't write them off. I just can't help but look at the WR group...and feel meh.

I like the Pittman pick. Think we got him because of Metcalf and Brown 

Archived