Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taylor being compared to Saquan

CR91

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He’s being compared but it is a big difference between the 2. Barkley is a once in a generation type player. Size, speed, acceleration, stop and go ability. He also is a much better receiver and pass blocking protection. Only backs in the same category as Barkley is Zeke and CMC

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It don't matter what kind of system he played at Wisconsin. The dude is a beast and the Colts will not regret drafting him. I can understand why Ballard and crew are stoked getting a 1st round talent in the 3rd round.  

While I also like Mack these two are totally different players with Taylor no doubt being the more dominate one. 

2nd.

Shame on those 3 people who hearted this! Not even going to correct him!!haha

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know you are probably trying to be funny but not 1 person ever compared Trent to Barry Sanders that I know of. People thought Trent would be good but not Barry like. They weren't even the same type of runners.

Trent was definitely an anomaly lol, I remember being stoked when we brought him in because I thought he was going to significantly improve upon his first year.  He had around 1300 total yards 12 TDs, low average though at 3.6 for the Browns.  I thought he was going to get WAY better.  Then it appears he lacked major vision and seemed somewhat lazy.  Then I felt he ran as slow as a penguin :funny:

To give him minor credit through I don't think our coaching staff did the best job utilizing him. 

Coming Here I Come GIF by San Diego Zoo

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Taylor also has to learn how to pass block.   Something he wasn’t asked to do very often.   He’ll be doing more of that on the NFL.   He’s got to do that well. 

Well, he’s an exceptionally smart kid, has the size, gas good vision an field awareness, and is a self-motivated “captain” Type.

I really dont see why he should have a problem pass blocking.  Catching the ball requires more of a “skill” than blocking, but some time on the Jugs machine and practice should certainly help in that area.

Ballard said to cool your heels or slow your troll (whatever it was) for Eason. For Taylor he wanted to take him with the 1st pick.  He said he was explosive and that he loved the guy. For those who are cautious, Ballard sure isn’t so you are on your own there.

5 hours ago, runthepost said:

He’s being compared but it is a big difference between the 2. Barkley is a once in a generation type player. Size, speed, acceleration, stop and go ability. He also is a much better receiver and pass blocking protection. Only backs in the same category as Barkley is Zeke and CMC

My guess Taylor would have gone top 10 if he was like Barkley or Elliot. We got a really good running back in the 3rd. Not sure why we need to compare. He also had a better college career in his 3 years, actually one of the best ever. Is he a grand slam? I'll go with home run at least. 

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i'd rather have Jonathan Williams than Wilkins 

I'll admit that neither is head and shoulders above the other.

I'd take Wilkins though.   Always liked the guy and his game.  

Not much to compare between the 2 to justify a great decision:

Williams

image.png.463c5686460909d149141e96f186d7df.png

Wilkins

image.png.ca2e0918b27877eb6010e05e7a0e8a5c.png

Rushing Yards:

Wilkins - 643

Williams - 329

Yards per carry:

Wilkins - 5.8

Williams - 4.2

Receptions:

Wilkins - 23/128

Williams - 7/60

Not much to go on.  Not sure if Williams being on 3 teams in 3 years is a positive or a negative.  

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Well, he’s an exceptionally smart kid, has the size, gas good vision an field awareness, and is a self-motivated “captain” Type.

I really dont see why he should have a problem pass blocking.  Catching the ball requires more of a “skill” than blocking, but some time on the Jugs machine and practice should certainly help in that area.

Well...   when you haven’t been asked to do something and suddenly you have to learn it on the NFL level, that’s an entirely different thing.   He’s not learning against high school kids or college kids...   he’s learning against top level NFL talent.   Easier said than done.

Im not saying he can’t do it.   I know he’s a great kid.   I’m just saying it won’t be easy.   At least, I don’t expect it to be....

18 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our running game this season should be lethal with Mack and Taylor both. Hines catching passes as well when he is in. We may be like the 95 Huskers with the Line we have and Rivers will just have to make a few big plays here and there. Rivers has to love this situation.

Yeah, and if the O-line has there best year this offense will hard to stop. 

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

IMO, Taylor doesn't run like Barkley.  Barkley has more shake.  Taylor runs more like Frank Gore or Nick Chubb.  Although he has some shake, I think the style he ran at WI was more of a one cut and straight ahead guy.  

Even though he doesn't have a lot of catches, he seems to do well with the opportunities hes had.

The fumbles look like they are the result of trying to hit the home run on every play.  Something a 4.39 runner probably thinks he can do a lot.  He may have to dial back that thinking in the NFL to seize only the opportunities that are really likely to produce a TD.

Taylor didn't need the shake, he was already gone to the house with that burst.

15 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

It would be cool if they would move Hines to WR and have Mack, Taylor and Wilkins at RB. 

I like Hines in the slot. If Campbell doesn’t break out like he is expected to this year maybe we’ll try this. We also have Guys like Pascal who could be put in the slot if Campbell doesn’t come out of the gate killing it. So idk. I like the idea for real. 

22 hours ago, stitches said:

He doesn't run like Saquon. He runs like Ezekiel Elliott. He needs a ton of work on ball security and as a pass receiver to get to both their level though.

Runs like Elliot with the speed of Barkley.

On 5/6/2020 at 10:54 AM, Hark said:

I wonder if this would be a possibility?

I have been saying this since before last year, so I hope so. But what do I know, I'm no head coach or GM. :)

I just see that Hines is much better in space than between tackles, has great hands, and has lots of speed.

Well, having watched every one of his recent predecessors games for the last 5 NFL seasons, Melvin Gordon didn't have even as much work in the passing game while he was at Wisconsin, and he pretty quickly became a very good back in the passing game at the NFL level, both in receiving ability and pass protection. He's not "the absolute best in the league at it", but he's a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 in those areas.

So you never know until it happens (or doesn't happen, as the case may be). Taylor will get his chances. One additional thing going for him, though. He'll have the same quarterback and coaches that his predecessor Gordon had to start his career teaching him, as well, so they should have a good number of parallels of their own to draw on in teaching a rookie Badger back about the NFL passing game.

I don’t watch any college football so can someone tell me the main reason some guys who are absolutely dominant in college don’t make it in the nfl?  Is it mostly psychological or confidence issues?  

It’s just weird when I see a guy like JT who we just drafted go in a later round when in other drafts guys who had way worse college careers and measurables were drafted in the 1st round. What is he lacking that made those scouts justify him going so late?  I know he has fumble issues and maybe blocking issues, but his running cAnt be questioned.  Can someone answer these questions for me??  Thanks And be safe everyone. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why do people insist on making rude comments. If you don’t have something to add just move along.

It was not rude. I was mocking the ridiculous post you made. Clearly in a sarcastic manner. If you found it rude, I apologise. And I felt it did add something. That our rookie running back has not played one snap in the National Football League, and you are comparing him to one of our all time best players. I will now move along, at your slightly rude behest.

PS - do not take everything so seriously.

5 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

It was not rude. I was mocking the ridiculous post you made. Clearly in a sarcastic manner. If you found it rude, I apologise. And I felt it did add something. That our rookie running back has not played one snap in the National Football League, and you are comparing him to one of our all time best players. I will now move along, at your slightly rude behest.

I saw no problem 

39 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

It’s an Atlantic divide thing, you should have indicated you were being sarcastic by suggesting ingesting bleach.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:35 AM, Trace Pyott said:

I don’t watch any college football so can someone tell me the main reason some guys who are absolutely dominant in college don’t make it in the nfl?  Is it mostly psychological or confidence issues?  

It’s just weird when I see a guy like JT who we just drafted go in a later round when in other drafts guys who had way worse college careers and measurables were drafted in the 1st round. What is he lacking that made those scouts justify him going so late?  I know he has fumble issues and maybe blocking issues, but his running cAnt be questioned.  Can someone answer these questions for me??  Thanks And be safe everyone. 

running backs often drop 1st Round draft busts and short shelf life of NFL running backs

Another factor is scheme fit and team need

On 5/6/2020 at 3:55 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   when you haven’t been asked to do something and suddenly you have to learn it on the NFL level, that’s an entirely different thing.   He’s not learning against high school kids or college kids...   he’s learning against top level NFL talent.   Easier said than done.

Im not saying he can’t do it.   I know he’s a great kid.   I’m just saying it won’t be easy.   At least, I don’t expect it to be....

IMO , pass protection from a RB is probably 80% intelligence . He should have no problems as he's smart , big and an excellent athlete . Not that my opinion means much but I'll say he'll be just fine.

Archived