Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Welp, what now? Day 2

EastStreet

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Epenesa isn’t even a scheme fit for what we look for.   His game is power and strength.   We look for DL’s with speed and athleticism.

Epenesa has been described as a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense.   He doesn’t fit anywhere along our DL.   I’m not saying he’s not a good player, I’m saying he doesn’t fit for what we want. 

Zerlein said his comp is Carlos Dunlap and that he can play the 4-3 or the 3-4.

2 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

TY Hilton is our only really good WR, so we really need some new firepower at WR.

Campbell havn't really been a success, So hope we land a Denzel Mims or  Higgins to complement Hilton.

I actually wouldn’t mind Claypool. He can give us a bunch of options. At WR or the flex TE. Then rivers has a bigger guy.

At 34:  I hope the take one of the these 3 big WR:  Mims, Higgins, or Pittman.

Mims is the fastest

Higgins has good speed and played at a Championship level, catching a lot of TD's

Pittman:  Mel Kiper has him as the best WR still available and all he does it catch passes,  101 his senior year.  A lot of contested catches and not much drops but "who the hell is Mel Kiper"!

At 44:  TE Cole Kmet.

With the signing of Trey Burton, TE may not be as high of a priority.

If they are enamored with Kmet, could draft him at 34, and take who ever is left of the 3 WR listed above, unless they are enamored overnight and wants 1 of the 3 WR's for sure. 

43 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Zerlein said his comp is Carlos Dunlap and that he can play the 4-3 or the 3-4.

There are all sorts of 3-4’s and all sorts of 4-3’s.     It’s not just one or the other.

Again, we are looking for defensive lineman who succeed with speed, quickness and athleticism.   Epenesa’s game is based on power, strength and violence.    The skill sets are different. 

So many good prospects still on the board who meet the Colts' needs.  Ballard will  be fielding phone calls all day for pick #34, and one of those offers will be too good to pass up.  He already stated he wants more picks, so the odds are real high for a trade down.  I hope he'll still get one of Higgins, Mims, Pittman, Shenault, Claypool, or Hamler.

I like Laviska Senault, 6-2, 225 lbs but reports of his surgery may have prevented a 1st round selection, maybe even a 2nd.  Would be a high risk gamble that could work out if the injury is healed and in his past.  Not sure if I would take him at 34.

Per an SI article dated 21 Feb 2020:

Former Colorado wide receiver Laviska Shenault will undergo surgery for a nagging injury, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Schefter reports Shenault has been dealing with a core muscle injury and inflammation of the * bone, and he will be sidelined for four to six weeks after surgery. The wide receiver was diagnosed with the inflammation earlier this month, although doctors did not think at the time that he would need surgery.

Shenault played through the injury last season, but it did not slow him down when he ran a 4.58 40-yard dash at the combine this week.

In Sports Illustrated's latest NFL mock draft, expert Kevin Hanson predicted the Eagles will select Shenault with the No. 21 pick.

"Shenault flourishes in the open field due to his strength, size, burst, vision and elusiveness," Hanson said.

7 hours ago, Exodus said:

Man, I'd love to see the Colts stay in and pick AJ Epenesa at #34 tomorrow. I know it wouldn't be super popular, but he's a 8-10 sack a year kind of DE. Our line would be ferocious with that pick. 

Knowing CB, and the wealth of talent available though, he's totally going to trade out of 34. 

IF Epenesa plays DE in the NFL, 

Well, I think that Ballard sees neither Mack or Hooker as core players with which to get tangled up in contracts with, and here are McKinney and Swift thought of as BPAs at the top of the second.  Interesting to see where this goes.

I think McKinney ran slower than expected, and that's why he's dropping.  And a RBs are devalued, so taking either would still be a surprise for me.

Lots of good players at positions that we could use.  I'm hoping for a mild trade back.

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think Autry moves outside to take Sheard's spot, at least vs the run, and Turay takes passing downs like he did early last season. So really, no need to replace Sheard. We basically replaced Autry's shift with Buckner.

But....an upgrade/replacement to Autry is not out of the question.  I think this was the plan for Lewis, but who knows if he'll get there.

5 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Pittman then Fromm in second round.

For Fromm fans, notice that NE traded back when Love was still on the board.  I think we're going to have to play a chess match with NE if we are serious about drafting a QB this year.

6 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I like both as safety prospects, but I don't get this. Why would we trade a safety who has proven he can hang in the NFL & has already gotten over the learning curve. 

We would be essentially valuing both McKinney & Winfield + using an early second round pick over taking a WR early & keeping Hooker. 

First, I'm just pontificating.  Next, Hooker hasn't lived up to his potential and he's in his final year and I don't think we'll re-sign him long term.  If you can trade him now for a 2 or a 3 and upgrade the position  you help your future cap position (meaning some version of we'd sign a vet or re-sign Hooker) and potentially upgrade the position while acquiring a pick with a lot of talent still on the board.  McKinney is a top 20 player...so that's what I was thinking.

Drafting Swift would be my choice at 34...best RB in the draft and  really good in the pass game, too...would also keep our $ at the position low, letting Mack walk after this year, instead of paying him mid/high RB money.

Then at 44, take the best WR available. My top choice would be Pittman, without question...but there's still Pittman, Mimms, Higgins, Claypool, Shenault etc and one would still be there.

Won't be surprised if we take an OT or trade back from one or both spots, but the above is what I would do, keeping our picks.

I'd rather TAKE the top talent rather than trade back for lesser talent in higher quantity 

35 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Drafting Swift would be my choice at 34...best RB in the draft and  really good in the pass game, too...would also keep our $ at the position low, letting Mack walk after this year, instead of paying him mid/high RB money.

Then at 44, take the best WR available. My top choice would be Pittman, without question...but there's still Pittman, Mimms, Higgins, Claypool, Shenault etc and one would still be there.

Won't be surprised if we take an OT or trade back from one or both spots, but the above is what I would do, keeping our picks.

I'd rather TAKE the top talent rather than trade back for lesser talent in higher quantity 

I hope the Colts take a WR at 34.   At 44 I'd be fine with any position.  

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Higgins played all three WR positions, is faster than Pittman at the same height, and is probably better coming out of breaks.

Higgins ran a 4.54 at his pro day (which typically come in faster than at the combine) and Pittman ran a 4.52 at the combine.

1 hour ago, Rally5 said:

First, I'm just pontificating.  Next, Hooker hasn't lived up to his potential and he's in his final year and I don't think we'll re-sign him long term.  If you can trade him now for a 2 or a 3 and upgrade the position  you help your future cap position (meaning some version of we'd sign a vet or re-sign Hooker) and potentially upgrade the position while acquiring a pick with a lot of talent still on the board.  McKinney is a top 20 player...so that's what I was thinking.

The problem trading Hooker and picking McKinney as a replacement is that they have completely different skillsets. McKinney and Delpit both lack the range to play the centerfield role Hooker does and project more as box safeties/big slots. They're not interchangeable at all.

I know a lot of people feel that Hooker is a bust (or something to that effect), but with the CB's we've been bringing in that have more of a strength in man coverage, I think we'll see Hooker being used in ways that help maximize his strengths as a ballhawk. I don't see him going anywhere.

Im not exactly too keen on getting more draft picks. Why? If we are truly in “Win Now” mode (Which is partially why folks didn’t like love) then I venture to say we need to stand pat at 34 and 44 and get the best online help and WR possible. I’d be disappointed to see us move back too far  and miss out on the pool of GREAT WR. :rantoff:

all that said PLEASE just let us draft claypool or Pittman Jr. Maybe Irsay is giving us a sign of things to come 

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Taking another end doesn’t mean they are giving up on the young guys they have and it doesn’t mean they have to wait for a guy to develop either.  They haven’t replaced Shread so there is an opening on the roster at end.  As much as Ballard talks about the lines it wouldn’t shock me if he takes another end.  It also wouldn’t shocked me if he grabs a WR, S, or olineman or trades back.

Actually Ballard drafted Lewis and Banogu one and two years ahead of the need to replace Sheard.
 Houston is another James Harrison. Big, thick, very talented. He can play at a high level for several more years if he wishes.
 Buckner will also take snaps at DE as can Autry. Then there is Turay. Mathis proclaims him as a future sack champion. We will see, but DE is seems to be far and away our best position.

1 hour ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I agree entirely.  Swift has been comped to Jacobs and Gordon.  The BPA currently on the board.  But I could see Ballard trading back. The top three RB's on the board are considered day 1 starters. I really don't see Mack getting extended so this is a great round to get a player who is better.  Nothing wrong with upgrading.  Plenty of quality receivers left.  We might get two new starters instead of picks who might have talent but might not be able to help us much this year.  

22 minutes ago, Shive said:

The problem trading Hooker and picking McKinney as a replacement is that they have completely different skillsets. McKinney and Delpit both lack the range to play the centerfield role Hooker does and project more as box safeties/big slots. They're not interchangeable at all.

I know a lot of people feel that Hooker is a bust (or something to that effect), but with the CB's we've been bringing in that have more of a strength in man coverage, I think we'll see Hooker being used in ways that help maximize his strengths as a ballhawk. I don't see him going anywhere.

I hope we keep Hooker.   I want to see how he does if the D-line pressures the QB.  

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I see a trade back and a pick of Josh Jones, OT Houston..... Then a WR 

I would love that! A future starting LT is surely needed as is a backup swing OT who can play RT as well in case of injury to Smith or Costanzo. 

Here is a thought, albeit unpopular...

TY has been fabulous for our franchise, but the last couple of seasons have taken a toll on his body.  If we could trade him and pick up another 2nd Round Pick, and let's say a 4th or 5th, would it be worth it?

That would give us the potential of getting Pittman, Mims, and Swift or Dobbins in the 2nd.  That has the potential of transforming our team for years.

57 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I get the hunch Ballard is going to trade back in the 2nd round to grab an extra 4th or 5th pick. I wouldn't be against picking up Diggs and whoever the best WR is for our pick.

Hope so! Would love trading back a little, adding an extra 4th, and still landing CB Trevon Diggs or OT Josh Jones. Then get a WR with the other 2nd. 

38 minutes ago, jtrester said:

Here is a thought, albeit unpopular...

TY has been fabulous for our franchise, but the last couple of seasons have taken a toll on his body.  If we could trade him and pick up another 2nd Round Pick, and let's say a 4th or 5th, would it be worth it?

That would give us the potential of getting Pittman, Mims, and Swift or Dobbins in the 2nd.  That has the potential of transforming our team for years.

With the depth at WR in this draft, nobody is giving up a 2nd for a 30 year old WR that has been battling injuries the past few years.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We're spending the 4th most of any team on DL, so it's fair that we expect top 10 kind of performance with the pieces we have. We can't have all pros at every single position, and we also need to expect drafted guys to develop. Two expensive vets (Buckner and Houston), 4 DEs over three years in the draft, several FA signs including Autry and Day.... I'm good, and have high expectations.

Money wise, I agree. However in terms of youth ful assets, I just dont see it. Houston may have another season in him. Muhammad and Autry are okay and getting older. Day and Stewart, so far, are rotational players and Lewis has shown nothing. I just would like to see another DT along side Buckner that may demand attention.

We're spending the 4th most of any team on DL, so it's fair that we expect top 10 kind of performance with the pieces we have. We can't have all pros at every single position, and we also need to expect drafted guys to develop. Two expensive vets (Buckner and Houston), 4 DEs over three years in the draft, several FA signs including Autry and Day.... I'm good, and have high expectations.

Sapp had Booger; Buckner has.....??

Sapp had Booker.....Buckner has.....???

Archived