Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Welp, what now? Day 2

EastStreet

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MTC said:

IF Colts decide to pick at 34 and not trade down, I can see it being OT Josh Jones or EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos.

We all know how Ballard highlights that building a successful team starts with the front.

At 44 I can see a WR between Michael Pittman JR, Denzel Mims, or Tee Higgins.

34. Pass Rush (Yetur/Aspenosa). Colts will likely pick OT because of Turray and Houston

44. TE/QB

75. WR

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That could be.  But if Ballard thinks he's declined,  Your man from Penn State or Davidson from Auburn could be picked.

We'll see. At DE, if we wanted one, I might wait for Taylor. I think both Gross Matos and Davidson are someone tweeners like Autry. Wouldn't be mad, but tired of 2nd and 3rd round DEs every year. If we really wanted a legit DE to play early, should have jumped to Chaisson. I'm still disappointed we didn't take Sweat last year.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We'll see. At DE, if we wanted one, I might wait for Taylor. I think both Gross Matos and Davidson are someone tweeners like Autry. Wouldn't be mad, but tired of 2nd and 3rd round DEs every year. If we really wanted a legit DE to play early, should have jumped to Chaisson. I'm still disappointed we didn't take Sweat last year.

Rock and #34 might be turn out as good or better

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We need to take Mims at 34, he won't be there at 44 IMO. 

100% agree that Mims won't be there at 44. Might not be there at 34. Higgins,IMO, not a lock to be available at 44 either.

11 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Rock and #34 might be turn out as good or better

I love Rock, and think he'll take a nice step forward this year. But I absolutely would have taken Sweat last year. 7 sacks, and 2 vs Dallas's OL. We wouldn't be worrying about DE right now lol.

1 hour ago, colts52761 said:

might as well wait until we on the clock to make the trade

Usually how it happens anyway. Sometimes in round 1 not true but from 2 on , teams want to make sure their guy is still there.

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

When in a state of confusion about what we'll do, I go back to the stuff Ballard has said.  He's always talked about the trenches.  He specifically called out the dline.

That tells me that he sees problems there, primarily with the bigger guys and not so much with the lighter guys he just drafted.  Its not his style to solve the problem by finding one expensive FA and be done.  I think its possible Sheard and Lewis are not on the roster long, so we need that new LDE/3T.  No more pure EDGE players like Turay and Ben, but a younger, quicker version of Autry.

Maybe not the next pick, but I think a DE that's longer and heavier than a pure EDGE might happen soon.

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I thought he would go mid to late first round. I was wrong. I still like him as an edge setter. He's got a vicious arm swing/club move. I've watched him grab the opposite shoulder of an offensive lineman 300+ and pull him out of the way. 

He's still there because he had a very average combine. 17 reps 5.04 40. However I looked at the film that is in this thread and he looks like a first rounder. IMO... very tough player for teams to rate.

9 hours ago, Old Colt said:

CB will trade back, more picks for players we aren't looking at...

You said a mouth full. Isn't it always the case when we watch players coming off the board . We have like 3 players we think would be great and after we sweat it out for hours ,2 are there. Then a guy you never dreamed of is picked? First you are totally deflated , then you read everything you can and end up liking the pick . 

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I love Rock, and think he'll take a nice step forward this year. But I absolutely would have taken Sweat last year. 7 sacks, and 2 vs Dallas's OL. We wouldn't be worrying about DE right now lol.

No doubt Sweat turned out great but you need to see who we get with #34 before making final judgement ?

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

When in a state of confusion about what we'll do, I go back to the stuff Ballard has said.  He's always talked about the trenches.  He specifically called out the dline.

That tells me that he sees problems there, primarily with the bigger guys and not so much with the lighter guys he just drafted.  Its not his style to solve the problem by finding one expensive FA and be done.  I think its possible Sheard and Lewis are not on the roster long, so we need that new LDE/3T.  No more pure EDGE players like Turay and Ben, but a younger, quicker version of Autry.

Maybe not the next pick, but I think a DE that's longer and heavier than a pure EDGE might happen soon.

I get the impression Ballard would like to replicate what the Eagles did a lot in their Super Bowl season--have enough DLs to rotate multiple guys at a time, like hockey shifts.

In which case it would be tempting to take Blacklock if he's there at #34 (and completely healthy) or hope someone like Davidson, Elliott or maybe Gallimore lasts until #44.

Unfortunately, I don't think Taylor will be there at #75. But a WR like Edwards might be FWIW.

1 minute ago, CelticColt said:

I get the impression Ballard would like to replicate what the Eagles did a lot in their Super Bowl season--have enough DLs to rotate multiple guys at a time, like hockey shifts.

In which case it would be tempting to take Blacklock if he's there at #34 (and completely healthy) or hope someone like Davidson, Elliott or maybe Gallimore lasts until #44.

Unfortunately, I don't think Taylor will be there at #75. But a WR like Edwards might be FWIW.

Don't know his value, but when I watched Auburn games, probably my favorite SEC team, I thought Davidson made just as many plays as Brown.  Brown wore #5 and Davidson #3.

I think he's viewed as a 2nd rounder.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Don't know his value, but when I watched Auburn games, probably my favorite SEC team, I thought Davidson made just as many plays as Brown.  Brown wore #5 and Davidson #3.

I think he's viewed as a 2nd rounder.

if nothing else, I think Davidson's more position-versatile than Brown is. So is another guy I forgot to mention before: Justin Madubuike.

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We were fine against the run. We sucked vs the pass. So not sure we need another DE/3T combo.

We'll see. I'd love another stud DE, but there are no legit 3 down guys left. Turay was actually supposed to be a 3 down guy (better vs the run coming out of college), so I think we need to see how he does. We'll see. I'm be disappointed with another 2nd round DE, but I'd get over it... If anything, take Taylor at 75 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

We were fine against the run. We sucked vs the pass. So not sure we need another DE/3T combo.

We'll see. I'd love another stud DE, but there are no legit 3 down guys left. Turay was actually supposed to be a 3 down guy (better vs the run coming out of college), so I think we need to see how he does. We'll see. I'm be disappointed with another 2nd round DE, but I'd get over it... If anything, take Taylor at 75 

actually I think Taylor at #75 would potentially be a "better value" pick than any of these other guys being picked in the 2nd round, but I'll be somewhat surprised if Taylor's still there at #75. That would be a good break for Ballard, especially if he went DB or WR or OL in Round Two.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We'll see.  I'm thinking less about the actual DE/edge play and more about who would play next to Buckner when he's sliding over to Grover's position.  I just think we can do better than Autry, who is in a contact year.  A guy to work into his spot.   A long quick guy, not a stumpy quick guy.  And no lighter edge types.  Basically, a different DE than we've been drafting.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

No doubt Sweat turned out great but you need to see who we get with #34 before making final judgement ?

I think we needed a pass rushing DE like Sweat more than a project like Banogu. I also think we could have likely picked up Rock later.

26 minutes ago, CelticColt said:

actually I think Taylor at #75 would potentially be a "better value" pick than any of these other guys being picked in the 2nd round, but I'll be somewhat surprised if Taylor's still there at #75. That would be a good break for Ballard, especially if he went DB or WR or OL in Round Two.

Hoping he goes WR then OT or TE.... At 75, either what we didn't take at OT and TE, or DE is fine with me. I agree, good value at 75

Archived