Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Welp, what now? Day 2

EastStreet

IF Colts decide to pick at 34 and not trade down, I can see it being OT Josh Jones or EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos.

We all know how Ballard highlights that building a successful team starts with the front.

At 44 I can see a WR between Michael Pittman JR, Denzel Mims, or Tee Higgins.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The more I think about, taking RB D'Andre Swift at 34 might be a good idea.  I know we got Mack at RB but it is a good idea to get good quality dept.   The other top RB's has fumble history and that we want to avoid.

Then draft at 44, WR Pittman, Higgins, or Mims

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are all sorts of 3-4’s and all sorts of 4-3’s.     It’s not just one or the other.

Again, we are looking for defensive lineman who succeed with speed, quickness and athleticism.   Epenesa’s game is based on power, strength and violence.    The skill sets are different. 

Watching his tape, he is relentless. Looks a lot like JJ Watt.

Iowa moved him inside and out. Just watching his highlights...Epenesa looks huge in size. Extreme effort player. I would think he would be a good fit for our D

We all have our opinions. Personally, my top choice at pick 34 is Epanesa.

Alot of good players still available.  We should get a good player in Rd 3 as well.

Attached is a you tube of WR Chase Claypool.  Attached is a you tube of Chis Simms talking about him like he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  6-4 1/2, 239 lbs, 4.42. with ball skills.  Caught 66 for 1,037 yds and 13 TD's as a senior at Notre Dame.   DB or LB mismatch nightmare.

You tube is kind of long at 24 minutes, did not watch it all but got the point on Claypool.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We need to take Mims at 34, he won't be there at 44 IMO. 

That's gonna be the key.  If we don't trade back to a team like the Bucs or somebody looking to move up for Swift, acquiring more picks, do we ourselves take an OT or another player (maybe Swift) at 34 and hope we may still get Mims and if not him Pittman at 44?  

Is it worth it to gamble with Higgins, Pittman, Mims and Shenault all still available in Round 2?  One of those guys would have to be there at 44 right?  But you know once WR's start going, you could see 4 gone in like a 6-7 pick span...  So you feel Mims is the best of the bunch and we better grab him at 34 and look to get something else with the 44th?

14 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Honestly I have no clue where they go now. I had not expected these RBs or Espensa to slide this far. I want to say WR but I think we can still grab a quality guy at 44.

I thought he would go mid to late first round. I was wrong. I still like him as an edge setter. He's got a vicious arm swing/club move. I've watched him grab the opposite shoulder of an offensive lineman 300+ and pull him out of the way. 

5 hours ago, Shive said:

The problem trading Hooker and picking McKinney as a replacement is that they have completely different skillsets. McKinney and Delpit both lack the range to play the centerfield role Hooker does and project more as box safeties/big slots. They're not interchangeable at all.

I know a lot of people feel that Hooker is a bust (or something to that effect), but with the CB's we've been bringing in that have more of a strength in man coverage, I think we'll see Hooker being used in ways that help maximize his strengths as a ballhawk. I don't see him going anywhere.

I actually like the kid from Minnesota, I'm not advocating for a particular guy.  Hooker walked off the field versus Jacksonville in a fresh white uniform after we gave up 38, so no love affair there and he can't stay healthy.  I don't hate the guy but he's an under-achiever that we likely won't re-sign.  To me, it's a great time to get something for him, convert it to a pick, and fill the void with an upgrade.  We have Tell who has safety experience as well.  Safety doesn't require a ton of special skills, it's not like a cover corner versus a cover two (having played secondary) if you have game, you can easily adapt.  I think if he doesn't get traded it wasn't because we didn't try...

49 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

I hope they get Epenesa at 34 and Claypool at 44.

Eps is a beast at setting the edge, forcing the play back to the middle where Buckner will be. They’d be great together. 

I agree. What a great combination that would make.

43 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Still bitter about Love I see.

No. It’s clear to me ballard didn’t want him. Hopefully he made the right decision. Until we find the future we are in a bad spot.  We are in win now mode and what happens if we don’t win now. Are we going to have to start trading a couple of our great players for a high draft pick to get the future.  There is a lot on uncertainty.

58 minutes ago, Caffrey said:
  • The more I think about, taking RB D'Andre Swift at 34 might be a good idea.  I know we got Mack at RB but it is a good idea to get good quality dept.   The other top RB's has fumble history and that we want to avoid.

Then draft at 44, WR Pittman, Higgins, or Mims

It's certainly not a "bad" idea. Swift is probably the best player left. Swift + one of those WRs is a game-changing boost to the offense.

I look at what Kamara did for NO in his rookie year. Rookie RBs have an immediate impact...so giving Rivers that type of weapon would be worth a 2nd round pick.

32 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

Alot of good players still available.  We should get a good player in Rd 3 as well.

Attached is a you tube of WR Chase Claypool.  Attached is a you tube of Chis Simms talking about him like he is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  6-4 1/2, 239 lbs, 4.42. with ball skills.  Caught 66 for 1,037 yds and 13 TD's as a senior at Notre Dame.   DB or LB mismatch nightmare.

You tube is kind of long at 24 minutes, did not watch it all but got the point on Claypool.

That video was very intriguing.  I think Phillip Rivers would fall in love with a guy like Claypool.  I didn't know his metrics were that in line with Megatron.  Do you take the risk he'd still be there at 44 or get him at 34?  He plays a very physical brand of football which would be nice to bring to our offensive playmakers.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No. It’s clear to me ballard didn’t want him. Hopefully he made the right decision. Until we find the future we are in a bad spot.  We are in win now mode and what happens if we don’t win now. Are we going to have to start trading a couple of our great players for a high draft pick to get the future.  There is a lot on uncertainty.

Yes and no.  We could have Rivers for 2 years.  That would give us time to groom a FA or a draft pick.  I like how Ballard is playing it cool at the future QB position.  Learn from the Bears mistake with Trubisky.   The Bears trade Picks #3, #67 and pick #111 as well as their 3rd round pick the following year.  

42 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

That's gonna be the key.  If we don't trade back to a team like the Bucs or somebody looking to move up for Swift, acquiring more picks, do we ourselves take an OT or another player (maybe Swift) at 34 and hope we may still get Mims and if not him Pittman at 44?  

Is it worth it to gamble with Higgins, Pittman, Mims and Shenault all still available in Round 2?  One of those guys would have to be there at 44 right?  But you know once WR's start going, you could see 4 gone in like a 6-7 pick span...  So you feel Mims is the best of the bunch and we better grab him at 34 and look to get something else with the 44th?

Yeah I like Mims the best out of what is left, he has great size and speed. I just think he will be gone by pick 40 or so.

5 hours ago, Shive said:

The problem trading Hooker and picking McKinney as a replacement is that they have completely different skillsets. McKinney and Delpit both lack the range to play the centerfield role Hooker does and project more as box safeties/big slots. They're not interchangeable at all.

I know a lot of people feel that Hooker is a bust (or something to that effect), but with the CB's we've been bringing in that have more of a strength in man coverage, I think we'll see Hooker being used in ways that help maximize his strengths as a ballhawk. I don't see him going anywhere.

Yes, it really makes no sense to trade Hooker just to turn around and try to replace him with the same kind of player.  It would be a matter of whether or not we would want different skill sets from the FS than what Hooker brings, understanding that there would probably be a dropoff in the pure ballhawking talent.  But the trade off would be to bring the other skills he lacks up to the forefront of FS play.

Hookers ball hawking plus the skills and level of play he lacks in other areas has a name, its called Minkah Fitzpatrick, and we can't have everything.

I think Winfield could add more skill than what Hooker lacks, without as much dropoff in the deep ball hawking attributes because Winfield has instincts and speed.  But Winfield is short, so he'll lose his share of jump balls down the field.

Thats why I would think that if we traded Hooker for a pick, we'd have to roll with Odum and maybe Tell then find our replacement next year.

Trading Hooker really just a long winding way to a push, IMO.  The only caveat being that Hooker did get beat a decent amount of times last year, so maybe Ballard thinks his ball hawking isn't living up to the hype either.

15 hours ago, James said:

So many good players available.

Yetur Gross-Matos
Xavier McKinney
D’Andre Swift
J.K. Dobbins
Jonathan Taylor
Trevon Diggs
Jaylon Johnson
Kristian Fulton
Tee Higgins
Denzel Mims
Cole Kmet
Julian Okwara
Ezra Cleveland
Josh Jones
A.J. Epenesa
Zack Baun

Antoine Winfield Jr.

Laviska Shenault

Michael Pittman

Neville Gallimore 

Ross Blacklock

Grant Delpit 

We could trade back no further than the 45 -47 range and still get two INCREDIBLE players out of this group and pick up another 4th rounder.  

Months ago I posted  rumor the colts really liked Eason. What if they passed on moving up for Love because they had him and Eason graded the same. Therefore why give up a pick when you can get Eason in the second.  His playing style is similar to rivers and he might fit our oline better.  He needs to sit and learn just like Love did.

1 hour ago, MTC said:

IF Colts decide to pick at 34 and not trade down, I can see it being OT Josh Jones or EDGE Yetur Gross-Matos.

We all know how Ballard highlights that building a successful team starts with the front.

At 44 I can see a WR between Michael Pittman JR, Denzel Mims, or Tee Higgins.

Total agreement. I would add Epenesa to your first two.

54 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

That video was very intriguing.  I think Phillip Rivers would fall in love with a guy like Claypool.  I didn't know his metrics were that in line with Megatron.  Do you take the risk he'd still be there at 44 or get him at 34?  He plays a very physical brand of football which would be nice to bring to our offensive playmakers.

I'm projecting Tee Higgins or Claypool for us today.  Claypool excites me!  He makes a lot of sense for us and how we do things. 

Four hours to go and we haven't traded down yet.  With all of the calls we are supposed to be receiving you would think we could find a partner for 34 by now.  Maybe they still will but the longer this goes the more I'm starting to think we stay at 34 and take Swift after the Bengals take Mims as a target for Burrow.  44 still in play though as well as Hooker and Wilson.  

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

But....an upgrade/replacement to Autry is not out of the question.  I think this was the plan for Lewis, but who knows if he'll get there.

I'm sure they expected more from Lewis, but not sure where exactly. I think this is his last year to prove something. Anyway, we're spending a ton on the DL (4th in the NFL), have spent a ton of draft capital and $ in FA, so I just don't see them going early in the draft again. Who knows though.

7 hours ago, Old Colt said:

CB will trade back, more picks for players we aren't looking at...

Very possible if they think they can still get the players they want with drop back. I don't think they drop back much though if they do.

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

I thought he would go mid to late first round. I was wrong. I still like him as an edge setter. He's got a vicious arm swing/club move. I've watched him grab the opposite shoulder of an offensive lineman 300+ and pull him out of the way. 

Yea I think he can do a lot of the things Sheard did plus more . 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm sure they expected more from Lewis, but not sure where exactly. I think this is his last year to prove something. Anyway, we're spending a ton on the DL (4th in the NFL), have spent a ton of draft capital and $ in FA, so I just don't see them going early in the draft again. Who knows though.

Very possible if they think they can still get the players they want with drop back. I don't think they drop back much though if they do.

I think a LDE who slides inside on rush packages to make room for Ben, Turay, or Houston (whichever goes in on that side) is going to make Sheard and Autry expendable. 

I agree with your explanation of investment, but we could upgrade then jettison the cost of the vets.  Buckner's a vet as is Grover, we can handle a rookie LDE/DL.

And I don't think they drop much either.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Money wise, I agree. However in terms of youth ful assets, I just dont see it. Houston may have another season in him. Muhammad and Autry are okay and getting older. Day and Stewart, so far, are rotational players and Lewis has shown nothing. I just would like to see another DT along side Buckner that may demand attention.

I don't think they'll ever spend big on NT, so wouldn't get your hopes up there. I think they'll always use a rotation there given their typical package changes. I wouldn't mind another 3T, but I just don't see it this year. I won't complain though if they take one in the 2nd, as there are 3-4 that I think have good upside. At DE, I think Houston has a few years to go. Adding Buckner probably extends Houston's effectiveness to be honest. And I think Autry will return to 2018 form if he loses a bit of weight and is bounced around at DE and DT depending on down.

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think a LDE who slides inside on rush packages to make room for Ben, Turay, or Houston (whichever goes in on that side) is going to make Sheard and Autry expendable. 

I agree with your explanation of investment, but we could upgrade then jettison the cost of the vets.  Buckner's a vet as is Grover, we can handle a rookie LDE/DL.

And I don't think they drop much either.

What you just described is how Autry will likely be used. And I think Autry returns to 2018 form, if not higher with the addition of Buckner.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

What you just described is how Autry will likely be used. And I think Autry returns to 2018 form, if not higher with the addition of Buckner.

That could be.  But if Ballard thinks he's declined,  Your man from Penn State or Davidson from Auburn could be picked.

14 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Higgins...a 31” vertical?  That’s  terrible. Peyton was around 28-29. That doesn’t compute with his speed unless he is 4.54 then he is not an explosive athlete.

That was the most shocking number to me. There were 22 OL/DL that had at least a 31" vertical. That's got to be a mistake for a guy considered one of the premier jump ball threats at WO.

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

Weird. Pro Football Network, CBS Sports, and SI say 4.54.

I can understand a small variance in timing at a pro day, but .11 is huge. I think play speed-wise, they're pretty comparable and bring similar skillsets.

I prefer Pittman, but I wouldn't be upset if we picked Higgins.

He does look slower on tape, but so do most long legged guys. IDK, might be some Clemson home cooking, but historically their pro days have matched the combine. 

I like Pittman better as a pure X, but I also like Higgins' multi functionality. If Higgins' speed is truly 4.43, then I'd likely prefer Higgins long term. I love Pittman's ball skills for sure. Both need work getting off the press a bit, as does Claypool. I do like Higgins' deep potential better than Pittman's, similar to Claypool. If I was more confident about Mims being able to play X, I'd be all in on him with his speed.

Archived