Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Welp, what now? Day 2

EastStreet

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Taking another end doesn’t mean they are giving up on the young guys they have and it doesn’t mean they have to wait for a guy to develop either.  They haven’t replaced Shread so there is an opening on the roster at end.  As much as Ballard talks about the lines it wouldn’t shock me if he takes another end.  It also wouldn’t shocked me if he grabs a WR, S, or olineman or trades back.

I think Autry moves outside to take Sheard's spot, at least vs the run, and Turay takes passing downs like he did early last season. So really, no need to replace Sheard. We basically replaced Autry's shift with Buckner.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think Autry moves outside to take Sheard's spot, at least vs the run, and Turay takes passing downs like he did early last season. So really, no need to replace Sheard. We basically replaced Autry's shift with Buckner.

Maybe I think Muhammad could end up at the end spot too.  Even if either of those happen with Houston going into the last year of his deal and at his age they could use another end.  I think Autry is close on a contract year too.  So an end isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

I can see a scenario where the Buccaneers try to move up to get Brady his receiving back (Swift). Could we do a trade with them where we trade them the 34th pick for their 45th pick & OJ Howard?  Would we have to add another pick to pull that trade off?

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I can see a scenario where the Buccaneers try to move up to get Brady his receiving back (Swift). Could we do a trade with them where we trade them the 34th pick for their 45th pick & OJ Howard?  Would we have to add another pick to pull that trade off?

I don’t see the Colts trading for Howard after signing Burton.  I think Ballard would listen to that offer if the Bucs included another pick or two though.

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Jones isn't bad at catching. And Arians to be honest isn't the biggest on tossing to RBs... With two WRs over 1000 last year, a third with 600+, and adding Gronk... Brady isn't without weapons.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe I think Muhammad could end up at the end spot too.  Even if either of those happen with Houston going into the last year of his deal and at his age they could use another end.  I think Autry is close on a contract year too.  So an end isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

I think Muhammad get's time, but Autry to me is a no brainer now that we've added Buckner. Keep in mind that Autry was a DE for the Raiders, and moved inside when he came here out of necessity. 

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Autry and Houston are both in the last year of their deals.  Turay looks good but hasn't proven anything and is coming off of a nasty injury.  I will be happy with many of their options however Epenesa will give a consistent bull rush from Left End and can slide inside too.  He dominated USC's Jackson so I wouldn't compare him to Bjorn.

I don't see Hooker getting dealt.  No one is giving up a #2 for Hooker like it was suggested.  Who know how much practice the teams will have prior to a season.  No reason to deal out a young talented veteran who knows the defense under these circumstances.  WR, OL, DL, CB,  then safety depth.

41 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Epenesa is perfect for a LDE.  Fulton still there.  Mims too.  Plenty of options.  Higgins, Claypool. Pittman.  The only guy who got drafted that I was disappointed wouldn't at least be a choice for the Colts was Aiyuk.  

Epenesa isn’t even a scheme fit for what we look for.   His game is power and strength.   We look for DL’s with speed and athleticism.

Epenesa has been described as a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense.   He doesn’t fit anywhere along our DL.   I’m not saying he’s not a good player, I’m saying he doesn’t fit for what we want. 

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Wouldn't surprise me, but I wouldn't like it at 34. Not a like for like IMO, and I'm not sure he's a FS on the next level. I love him at SS or slot though. And because of that, I'd pass on McKinney since we have both those covered.

If we were to do that, I'd rather take Dugger a bit later as a FS prospect.

Yes, and I'd prefer not to give up on the guys still on the roster. And would prefer not to add to the list of 2nd rounders we're waiting to develop lol...

Agree want some people  who can start immediately  like mims, Higgins, Jefferson,  diggs.

Just now, Hawkeyecolt said:

Autry and Houston are both in the last year of their deals.  Turay looks good but hasn't proven anything and is coming off of a nasty injury.  I will be happy with many of their options however Epenesa will give a consistent bull rush from Left End and can slide inside too.  He dominated USC's Jackson so I wouldn't compare him to Bjorn.

I don't see Hooker getting dealt.  No one is giving up a #2 for Hooker like it was suggested.  Who know how much practice the teams will have prior to a season.  No reason to deal out a young talented veteran who knows the defense under these circumstances.  WR, OL, DL, CB,  then safety depth.

Oh I don’t think they would get a two for Hooker.  I think a mid round pick would be about as much as they could get for him.  One thing is sure there are several players on the board that fill a need for the Colts so they have options and that’s always good in the draft.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Epenesa isn’t even a scheme fit for what we look for.   His game is power and strength.   We look for DL’s with speed and athleticism.

Epenesa has been described as a perfect fit for a 3-4 defense.   He doesn’t fit anywhere along our DL.   I’m not saying he’s not a good player, I’m saying he doesn’t fit for what we want. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2020/04/05/iowas-aj-epenesa-could-solidify-the-green-bay-packers-defensive-line/#43ab6b6e195e

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/a.j.-epenesa?id=32194550-4541-5291-9369-b9d0c170a565

https://saturdayblitz.com/2020/04/09/iowa-football-aj-epenesa-first-round-nfl-draft/

he might fit best in a 3-4 but looks like lots of people think he could work in a 4-3 too and could be a run stopper which the Colts need at end with Shread gone.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Oh I don’t think they would get a two for Hooker.  I think a mid round pick would be about as much as they could get for him.  One thing is sure there are several players on the board that fill a need for the Colts so they have options and that’s always good in the draft.

So cb, wr, ol, dl

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Jones isn't bad at catching. And Arians to be honest isn't the biggest on tossing to RBs... With two WRs over 1000 last year, a third with 600+, and adding Gronk... Brady isn't without weapons.

Didn’t David Johnson emerge on the scene under Arians when he was coach of the Cardinals?  Or was Arians not there or already gone?  I thought that’s under Arians Johnson emerged as one of the most versatile backs in the league?

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That may be valid.  I've seen him described as both a perfect 5-technique for a 3-4 and a perfect left end for an old school 4-3.  You're correct the Colts may see him as a non-fit.  I only mention him as a possible upgrade to Sheard.  Some guys are just football players and he's definitely an upgrade to Sheard.  I would be happy with Mims, Pittman, Gross-Matos, Fulton, and a few others. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think Muhammad get's time, but Autry to me is a no brainer now that we've added Buckner. Keep in mind that Autry was a DE for the Raiders, and moved inside when he came here out of necessity. 

That's just not true. Autry was brought here specifically to play inside, not DE. 

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Didn’t David Johnson emerge on the scene under Arians when he was coach of the Cardinals?  Or was Arians not there or already gone?  I thought that’s under Arians Johnson emerged as one of the most versatile backs in the league?

David Johnson went to the Cardinals in 2015, and Bruce was head coach there from 2013-2017

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/AriaBr0.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnDa08.htm

44 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Trade Hooker for a 2 or 3 tomorrow and grab McKinney or Winfield.

I like both as safety prospects, but I don't get this. Why would we trade a safety who has proven he can hang in the NFL & has already gotten over the learning curve. 

We would be essentially valuing both McKinney & Winfield + using an early second round pick over taking a WR early & keeping Hooker. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’m sure he can work in SOME 4-3 defenses...  but I don’t think he works in ours.  Just my view based on what I’ve read.   Zierlein, Jeremiah, Kiper and McShay. 

4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Arians was there, but Johnson's first year, they had 2 WRs with 1000+, and another one close to 1000. If memory serves, they lost one or two of those WRs his second year, and that's when they started tossing to Johnson a bunch. 

If we go WR with either of the 2nd round picks I'm getting a decent feeling it's likely to be Tee Higgins.  He's just so much like Mike Williams to me.  Maybe not as fast, but it just seems like a nice fit with Rivers.   I like that he's got better numbers than Hopkins and Sammy Watkins in their time there.  Also I thought it was sort of interesting in the Colts draft video when the scout went to Clemson Tee Higgins kept showing up in the picture. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

If we go WR with either of the 2nd round picks I'm getting a decent feeling it's likely to be Tee Higgins.  He's just so much like Mike Williams to me.  Maybe not as fast, but it just seems like a nice fit with Rivers.  Also I thought it was sort of interesting in the Colts draft video when the scout went to Clemson Tee Higgins kept showing up in the picture. 

Hope the Bengals  pick Higgins 

I will get killed for this but man there are some nice DT's sitting there. Ballard always talks bout the lines. We have Turay who has shown flashes but needs to stay healthy. Banagou is unproven and Houston is getting old. Buckner is a stud and the rest of our D line are rotational players.  I would love to get Gallimore, Elliot or Blaylock....I think that is his name. Someone to line up with Buckner who can penetrate.  U play teams we see as top tier teams and u better have a strong D line. Tennessee added a monster O line man. Texans have Watson and u better bring it if u ever want a chance against the Chiefs. They just added the best rb in the draft. Thoughts???

4 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

That's just not true. Autry was brought here specifically to play inside, not DE. 

Autry played both DE and DT his first year IIRC. DT on passing, and DE running. He got more DT snaps as the year went on because we stunk in iDL. Take a look at the link below and go to the 2018 snap counts to see just how bad off we were at DT. 

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/indianapolis-colts-snap-counts

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I will get killed for this but man there are some nice DT's sitting there. Ballard always talks bout the lines. We have Turay who has shown flashes but needs to stay healthy. Banagou is unproven and Houston is getting old. Buckner is a stud and the rest of our D line are rotational players.  I would love to get Gallimore, Elliot or Blaylock....I think that is his name. Someone to line up with Buckner who can penetrate.  U play teams we see as top tier teams and u better have a strong D line. Tennessee added a monster O line man. Texans have Watson and u better bring it if u ever want a chance against the Chiefs. They just added the best rb in the draft. Thoughts???

You think that was the best back in the draft. I disagree.

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'd rather take a 3T than a DE right now, but I'd prefer WR, OL, and TE over DL.... 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I'd rather take a 3T than a DE right now, but I'd prefer WR, OL, and TE over 

I want some one to line up beside Buckner. Muhammad, Autry and Lewis are not those players. Maybe Day breaks out but I want a high pick to team up with Buckner.  I really think  Ballard may shock us. I really dont think he believes in drafting wrs high.

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I want some one to line up beside Buckner. Muhammad, Autry and Lewis are not those players. Maybe Day breaks out but I want a high pick to team up with Buckner.  I really think  Ballard may shock us. I really dont think he believes in drafting wrs high.

You want a NT??? We're fine with Stewart and Day on running downs. On passing downs, Houston/Buckner/Autry/Turay

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

With the dline we signed in FA that would be a disappointment when we need weapons for rivers. We have enough dline right now. We don’t have enough offensive playmakers.

Ballard will probably take a OT at 34 and trade 44.

Want pittman and van Jefferson or claypool 

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I'm still not sold on the line. Just think we need another play maker

We're spending the 4th most of any team on DL, so it's fair that we expect top 10 kind of performance with the pieces we have. We can't have all pros at every single position, and we also need to expect drafted guys to develop. Two expensive vets (Buckner and Houston), 4 DEs over three years in the draft, several FA signs including Autry and Day.... I'm good, and have high expectations.

21 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Pittman is definitely  better  than Higgins. Better bigtime plays.

"definitely" is a pretty strong word. Higgins played all three WR positions, is faster than Pittman at the same height, and is probably better coming out of breaks. I like both of them, and they both will need to prove it at the next level. Pittman is probably more limited to possession routes, while Higgins can probably be a consistent threat on all 3 levels. That's all ceiling talk, but just saying "definitely", is definitely not a word I'd use at this juncture.

Archived