Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM's End of Season Press Conference

Dingus McGirt

2 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

If you want to get technical it is cap hit but it counts $21.5M whenever it was or is paid. As I understand his contract we could save $9M if he were cut before a certain date. The $9 M is not chump change if we were to keep him as a backup.

We just paid Hoyer $9 mill to be our backup.   

Who is going to take JB’s starting spot?  I don’t see a veteran we’d go after.  And a rookie is going to need a redshirt year.   That leaves JB, hopefully improved, working with a hopefully improved roster.

My bigger concern us the schedule.  It looks brutal to me.   Hardest I’ve seen since I joined this community.  We could be better and have only a modest improvement (9-7?).   Just thinking out loud. 

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I beg to differ with Ballard.  The most important part of this D, the interior D linemen, r over age and not very talented

I don’t think you differ with Ballard.  It appears your issue is personnel, NOT scheme.   He noted that today. 

10 hours ago, aaron11 said:

the force it comment was pretty vague

did the chiefs force it when they took mahomes?  texans with watson?

most teams had them graded lower than they went, it only takes one for them to be a first rounder 

Leading up to his Draft year, I had been hearing all kinds of Chatter about Mahoney being the best of the bunch, so it was ZERO surprise to me that Mahoney went when he did and it is ZERO surprise that he may indeed be THE QB of that draft class. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We just paid Hoyer $9 mill to be our backup.   

Who is going to take JB’s starting spot?  I don’t see a veteran we’d go after.  And a rookie is going to need a redshirt year.   That leaves JB, hopefully improved, working with a hopefully improved roster.

My bigger concern us the schedule.  It looks brutal to me.   Hardest I’ve seen since I joined this community.  We could be better and have only a modest improvement (9-7?).   Just thinking out loud. 

I don't dispute the numbers although you did correct me for what it's worth as pay vs cap hit.

What I don't agree with you is you make it sound like there is no better answers at QB than JB. I don't know what will happen nor do you but I feel there are definitely better options if Ballard is willing to try and hits on them. We know what we have with JB and I doubt that Irsay, Ballard or Reich are not going to try to improve even if it may cost us in the short term. Irsay knows they need to put a more exciting team on the field to excite the fan base. Only time will tell.  

7 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I don't dispute the numbers although you did correct me for what it's worth as pay vs cap hit.

What I don't agree with you is you make it sound like there is no better answers at QB than JB. I don't know what will happen nor do you but I feel there are definitely better options if Ballard is willing to try and hits on them. We know what we have with JB and I doubt that Irsay, Ballard or Reich are not going to try to improve even if it may cost us in the short term. Irsay knows they need to put a more exciting team on the field to excite the fan base. Only time will tell.  

Im not saying there aren’t better options.   But I don’t see CB paying the asking price for a Derek Carr or Matthew Stafford.  And I don’t see ya starting a rookie QB in September.

So.......? 

43 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Leading up to his Draft year, I had been hearing all kinds of Chatter about Mahoney being the best of the bunch, so it was ZERO surprise to me that Mahoney went when he did and it is ZERO surprise that he may indeed be THE QB of that draft class. 

Imagine being the Chicago Bears front office members. Trading up for Mitch but missing out on Mahomes, Watson 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

What makes you think Brissett will be improved?   He is the same as he has always been.   A rookie would be better.  JB is what he is.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

He is the same as he has always been.   A rookie would be better.  JB is what he is.

If the Colts do draft a QB, my 2 concerns are as follows:

1) Would Brissett be a good mentor?  Would a more experienced veteran with years of experience (and success) be better?

2) The only QB that is "day 1 ready," in this draft, is Burrow.  If you have a guy that needs time to learn the nuances of running an NFL offense/needs time to work on his mechanics, playing him early could lead to lots of mistakes.

While any mistakes that occur aren't such a big deal in and of themselves, mounting frustration can quickly lead to a lack of confidence.

Take a look at Nyheim Hines, for example.  Here's a guy that was struggling catching punts/kickoffs his rookie year, and per Ballard himself, his confidence was almost completely destroyed. 

And returners/RBs don't carry anywhere close to the load that a rookie QB will.  Even guys like Mahomes benefited tremendously from seeing the game from the sideline for a full season. 

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

What makes you think Brissett will be improved?   He is the same as he has always been.   A rookie would be better.  JB is what he is.

Because that’s what most young players do...   they improve as they get older and gain experience.   

You don’t want to put a rookie in before they’re ready.   Patrick Mahomes got a redshirt year.   Played just one game around week 15 or 16.   It clearly helped.  

4 hours ago, yankeeclipper said:

Hardly a ringing endorsement on JB.  JB's performance was the tale of two cities. In first 7 games he looked solid. Last 9 his play ranged from mediocre to terrible. Perhaps some of that is due to injuries with receiving corps but JB seemed to struggle in all aspects of the passing game 2nd half of the season. I suspect he starts the season as our #1 but I see CB drafting a QB to be his replacement at some point next years if JB  fails to rebound.

I,ve gotta go back and watch all games in order up to the Pittsburgh injury.  Then when he’s back.  I wanna remember who was playing/injured, etc.

other than yards, his stats weren't bad early on..... until the injury.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned how JB would grimace and grab for his knee pretty much every game. I think he was playing in pain.

I’m not saying he’ll ever be Dan Marino, but i’m certain he’ll improve.  I guess the question is how much and how fast.  But when some call him a bum its ignorance and/or emotion.  He’s far from a bum.

40 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

If the Colts do draft a QB, my 2 concerns are as follows:

1) Would Brissett be a good mentor?  Would a more experienced veteran with years of experience (and success) be better?

2) The only QB that is "day 1 ready," in this draft, is Burrow.  If you have a guy that needs time to learn the nuances of running an NFL offense/needs time to work on his mechanics, playing him early could lead to lots of mistakes.

While any mistakes that occur aren't such a big deal in and of themselves, mounting frustration can quickly lead to a lack of confidence.

Take a look at Nyheim Hines, for example.  Here's a guy that was struggling catching punts/kickoffs his rookie year, and per Ballard himself, his confidence was almost completely destroyed. 

And returners/RBs don't carry anywhere close to the load that a rookie QB will.  Even guys like Mahomes benefited tremendously from seeing the game from the sideline for a full season. 

I disagree.  Mahomes  did well because  he put in the work to improve. QBs don't  get better  by watching  on the sidelines.  If that were the care Curtis painter and jim sorgi would be the next manning. 

But if you watch the whole Chris Ballard press conference, you will know not only that we have leadership at GM seldom seen, but that there is a pretty transparent future available to us fans in terms of a vision for what will and won’t work to win it all as a franchise.

Really worth your time to listen as a fan of this team or just a fan of life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spent the day watching.   40 minutes this afternoon...   the other 30 minutes tonight.

Worth every minute.     Is there GM speak in there?    Of course,  it's to be expected.

But Chris Ballard is as forth-coming an executive as you're going to find.    Ask and he will try to answer.    And if h can't, he'll say that too....

Hope you'll watch.   It's on the front page of the website.    Thanks to ZTB for starting this thread.

• Like 2

I watched it's entirety. There is no GM I would rather have. Whatever decisions that man makes, I am backing him. First off, he damn smart. His answers are careful, yet truthful. He tows a fine line between not giving anything away, not ignoring issues, supporting the players he has under contract, respecting the horseshoe......yet subtly pealing back the curtain to say, "We know what's going on...and what we have to do".

He carefully called out what needs to improve next season. Several positions...several players. If you hear fakeness, your filter is likely not serving you well. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Spent the day watching.   40 minutes this afternoon...   the other 30 minutes tonight.

Worth every minute.     Is there GM speak in there?    Of course,  it's to be expected.

But Chris Ballard is as forth-coming an executive as you're going to find.    Ask and he will try to answer.    And if h can't, he'll say that too....

Hope you'll watch.   It's on the front page of the website.    Thanks to ZTB for starting this thread.

This is the way.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Summing it up, in advance.

"We love Jacoby Brissett.  He's a great leader in the locker room, and a great human being.  He's our starting quarterback going forward."

Thats not how i’d sum it up.

Not even close.

I heard “he’s our  starting QB now but we are always looking to improve all positions.”

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Everyone keeps saying Irsay better get used to empty seats.  If Jacoby shows even a slight improvement, Chase shows a slight improvement in the kicking game( which he already has), then the Colts will probably go 10-6 and make the playoffs.  People will show for a playoff team

Literally, we would have been a playoff team if Vinny hit his kicks in 3 games (possibly 4-5 games).  We need to address some skill positions (WR/TE) on offense, potentially the OL (especially if Castonzo is gone), and the DL and we should win the AFC South with Jacoby.  

People were talking about him as an MVP candidate through week 7 when we were 5-2.  Then he played for several weeks without a drafted player at WR or TE (TY was hurt, Funchess was hurt, Campbell was hurt, Fountain was hurt -- the only drafted WRs on the roster -- and Ebron got hurt, the only drafted TE on the roster).  Again, not saying he's the answer for the long-haul, but he certainly didn't get any favors the second half of the season.  

16 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard says he does not regret keeping Vinateri, even though he was awful. I don't understand Ballard. He seems to be fine losing games because of terrible kicking. 

He tried kickers out several weeks.  None of them outperformed Vinny in their tryouts.  Vinny is a team captain and probably the GOAT kicker of all time.  It is unfortunate he cost us at least 3 games, but it is nearly impossible for us to say there was a sure fire K who we could take from unemployment who was better than Vinny.  I'd be worried if Ballard didn't try guys out, but he did several times and nobody we brought in off the streets was able to take Vinny's job.

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

Ballard deserves some slack over AV.  AV knows better than any GM whether or not he can still kick or not.  A GM just has to figure out if AV was being honest.

And IIRC, there wasn't any kicker better than an inconsistent AV available until we claimed our current K.

Our current K went 7-10 with LA Chargers, got cut.  Got signed by San Fran, went 7-8 and got cut.  Then he signed with us and missed a crucial FG in his first game (we lost to TB 38-35, a game which would've been tied if he didn't miss the kick).  So yea, Ballard deserves some leeway with the Vinny decision.  TBH, our current kicker wasn't showing he was a lot more reliable than Vinny prior to coming to Indy.  He did very well in his last few games, but missed within 49 yards in his first game which arguably cost us the game vs. the Bucs (and along with Vinny's misses against SD, Pitts, OAK, etc. arguably cost us our playoff bid).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I disagree.  Mahomes  did well because  he put in the work to improve. QBs don't  get better  by watching  on the sidelines.  If that were the care Curtis painter and jim sorgi would be the next manning. 

What on earth are you talking about?  Of course Mahomes also practiced, and studied film, and worked out.  And a million other things, in addition to watching the NFL game from the sidelines and breaking down plays and coverage, game after game. 

It has the same value as watching film, except it is interactive and the QBs can learn situational football in real time.  I'm sort of wondering if you were just trolling with your post when you said there's no value to watching (in addition to practicing, working on mechanics with the staff, watching film, going to meetings, learning the playbook, lifting, etc.) . . .

Never did I say that this component (watching and learning) was the lone, determinant factor to success.  That's a completely absurd premise.  And if you read my post, I clearly stated that this approach was not for everyone.  Some QBs are ready day 1.  Some are not. 

Aaron Rodgers has stated on record he benefited from watching Farve.

And what in the heck do Painter and Sorgi have to do with anything? 

No amount of watching, practicing, or anything else could've made Sorgi or Painter into anything besides low-tier NFL backups, because there is this other little thing called talent that you decided to leave out of the equation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris jones would be a great addition to the d-line but I think ballard isn't willing to spend that type of money on a player like jones but I got my eye on yannick from the jags they won't don't have no cap to sign him. They have a cheaper option with josh allen since they play the same position  so I hope ballard looks into possibly signing him

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because that’s what most young players do...   they improve as they get older and gain experience.   

You don’t want to put a rookie in before they’re ready.   Patrick Mahomes got a redshirt year.   Played just one game around week 15 or 16.   It clearly helped.  

Brissett is past improving.   He's 27 years old.  His review is the same as when he came out of college.  

I agree that in many cases, letting a drafted QB ride he bench is best.  That may not apply here with Brisset.  Brissett is bad and a rookie QB would likely be better.  There have been many success stories of rookie QB's.   Watson was very good in his rookie season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rockywoj said:

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article224076765.html

they got a lot of Cs from the experts and most of them complained about giving up a third round pick 

8 minutes ago, Myles said:

Brissett is past improving.   He's 27 years old.  His review is the same as when he came out of college.  

I agree that in many cases, letting a drafted QB ride he bench is best.  That may not apply here with Brisset.  Brissett is bad and a rookie QB would likely be better.  There have been many success stories of rookie QB's.   Watson was very good in his rookie season.

He had Rookie season with 2 starts under an excellent OC in NE.
 I guess a nothing season starting here in 2017.
 Another season under Reich and Luck that was lacking value.
 And according to our GM, this was like a Rookie season.
  What a bunch of bunk.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

NCF, JB will be starting his 5th year in the league next year. Is that still considered young and how many years do you want to give him? If you were to read a scouting profile on JB today it would mirror his scouting report when he came out of college. He mentored for 4 years under two great QBs during that time. 

I admired JB for the guts and fortitude he displayed in 2017 and last year as he was such a great cheerleader and teammate. But now I believe he is way over his head. It is not his fault he was put in this position but Colts had really no choice and JB earned the chance and was paid well but time to move on.

Attended four games this year at over $200 a pop as I spit my season tickets  with my family. Without a doubt four of the more boring games I have attended and I have had season tickets since the mid 80s. Attendance or better yet butts in the seats tapered off badly as the season went on, at least from my observations.  

I will be greatly disappointed if the Colts choose the status quo but feel confident that they have already started months ago to look for better alternatives. You may be 100% correct that JB will be the starter come first game in Lucas but hope it was not because the Colts didn't exhaust alternative.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, waittilnextyear said:

He had Rookie season with 2 starts under an excellent OC in NE.
 I guess a nothing season starting here in 2017.
 Another season under Reich and Luck that was lacking value.
 And according to our GM, this was like a Rookie season.
  What a bunch of bunk.

I thought that was the one time Ballard was saying something even he didn't believe.

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

NCF, JB will be starting his 5th year in the league next year. Is that still considered young and how many years do you want to give him? If you were to read a scouting profile on JB today it would mirror his scouting report when he came out of college. He mentored for 4 years under two great QBs during that time. 

I admired JB for the guts and fortitude he displayed in 2017 and last year as he was such a great cheerleader and teammate. But now I believe he is way over his head. It is not his fault he was put in this position but Colts had really no choice and JB earned the chance and was paid well but time to move on.

Attended four games this year at over $200 a pop as I spit my season tickets  with my family. Without a doubt four of the more boring games I have attended and I have had season tickets since the mid 80s. Attendance or better yet butts in the seats tapered off badly as the season went on, at least from my observations.  

I will be greatly disappointed if the Colts choose the status quo but feel confident that they have already started months ago to look for better alternatives. You may be 100% correct that JB will be the starter come first game in Lucas but hope it was not because the Colts didn't exhaust alternative.    

Great post.   

Brissett is what he is.   He is no longer young with potential.  

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

Brissett is bad and a rookie QB would likely be better.

This is why I don't get everyone being so down on bringing in a vet on the short term. JB is bad (not very good?) and I don't see him fundamentally becoming something he's not (efficient and accurate), agreed there, and I don't really want to waste another year, which is what I strongly feel is going to happen if this course isn't changed.

A rookie, meh, you might get more, you might get less, you might get *the guy*, but who knows? The odds are you get nothing of real value, which is the argument for JB, but that can be defused by finding a vet who's better than JB and letting the rook time to sit and learn.

Honestly, this is pretty clear to me that, that's what should happen, but clearly we're in a sorta minority on this- as if JB has earned all of this trust and he's just going to be better because next year and he won't launch the ball as hard as he can, yanking his head while throwing the ball over guys head  5 yards away. Ugh. I don't wana..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I thought that was the one time Ballard was saying something even he didn't believe.

Yes.  That doesn't coincide with the "We think JB is a top 15 QB "  or worth a 1st round pick in a trade talk.   I think Ballard and Reich got their wake up call this year. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This is why I don't get everyone being so down on bringing in a vet on the short term. JB is bad (not very good?) and I don't see him fundamentally becoming something he's not (efficient and accurate), agreed there, and I don't really want to waste another year, which is what I strongly feel is going to happen if this course isn't changed.

A rookie, meh, you might get more, you might get less, you might get *the guy*, but who knows? The odds are you get nothing of real value, which is the argument for JB, but that can be defused by finding a vet who's better than JB and letting the rook time to sit and learn.

Honestly, this is pretty clear to me that, that's what should happen, but clearly we're in a sorta minority on this- as if JB has earned all of this trust and he's just going to be better because next year and he won't launch the ball as hard as he can, yanking his head while throwing the ball over guys head  5 yards away. Ugh. I don't wana..

It's odd, isn't it?   People willing to throw away another season with Brissett .500 ball.  It's very clear that Brissett is what he is.  Some claim that with a great defense, great offensive weapons and great special teams, Brissett could lead us to a playoff birth.   That's great, but most backups could do the same.  

Assuming we will be drafting a QB, we need a 1-2 year bridge QB that is not Brissett.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's odd, isn't it?   People willing to throw away another season with Brissett .500 ball.  It's very clear that Brissett is what he is.  Some claim that with a great defense, great offensive weapons and great special teams, Brissett could lead us to a playoff birth.   That's great, but most backups could do the same.  

Assuming we will be drafting a QB, we need a 1-2 year bridge QB that is not Brissett.

I think before yesterday's presser, I'd agreed to give him a full offseason working as the starter but after Ballard's comments yesterday, i took it for the colts being over the JB experiment. But, if your the Colts, you hedge your bets. JB is serviceable in the short term and you don't want to A: Tip your hand going into a vital offseason, and B: Teams with QB controversies rarely perform well.  my guess is Ballard tries to upgrade at QB, if he can't, JB is the backup plan next season. I think the salary cap hit comment by him was them saying just that. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, The Fish said:

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

You guys are ignoring the point. You're forcing this 'anyone but JB makes the Colts better,' and that's the actual disagreement. 

I don't think the also-rans everyone is trotting out there make the Colts better. Even those who might, I don't believe they take the team from 'wasted season' -- which is a dramatic way of saying the team isn't ready to contend, so we can lay it at the feet of the QB, which I'm not sure I agree with -- to serious contender. 

The point is that the best way to fix the QB position, now and future, is to draft the next guy. The patchwork solution isn't attractive to me. That's not saying I'm fine with wasting time on JB, just that we need to find the next guy in the draft. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

You guys are ignoring the point. You're forcing this 'anyone but JB makes the Colts better,' and that's the actual disagreement. 

I don't think the also-rans everyone is trotting out there make the Colts better. Even those who might, I don't believe they take the team from 'wasted season' -- which is a dramatic way of saying the team isn't ready to contend, so we can lay it at the feet of the QB, which I'm not sure I agree with -- to serious contender. 

The point is that the best way to fix the QB position, now and future, is to draft the next guy. The patchwork solution isn't attractive to me. That's not saying I'm fine with wasting time on JB, just that we need to find the next guy in the draft. 

I'm still trying to figure out why drafting a guy is off the table if we bring in someone to replace JB through FA. I don't see this as a one or the other. And I also don't think the entire FA class is "also ran" especially in comparison to JB, which is were the disagreement from my perspective is at. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm still trying to figure out why drafting a guy is off the table if we bring in someone to replace JB through FA. I don't see this as a one or the other. And I also don't think the entire FA class is "also ran" especially in comparison to JB, which is were the disagreement from my perspective is at. 

It's not that drafting a guy is off the table.

The entire disagreement from me is with the idea that bringing in a vet FA would be enough of an improvement over JB to help the Colts get back to contention. I don't think the guys available will be good for the Colts. I also don't see that path as the best for getting a rookie ready asap.

And the couple guys who might actually represent an improvement over JB are most likely too costly, especially if you want to draft a guy. Trading for Carr is a non-starter if you also want to draft a guy in 2020. The Foles option is highly unlikely (and is also a question mark, Foles really struggled in 2019). We talked about Rivers already.

This is the disagreement. Who makes the Colts better? Who salvages us from a wasted season? I don't see it.

And I feel like my angle is being misrepresented as 'you're okay with a wasted season with JB,' which is false. First, I don't think the result of 2019 is representative of the Colts ceiling with JB, given all the injuries. Second, I don't think that bringing in one of those other QBs salvages the 2020 season.

• Like 3