Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Dingus McGirt

GM's End of Season Press Conference

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Of course Cooper would be the better choice.   But we'd have to pay top dollar.   I think first we see if Funchess would give us a bit of a discount based on the money he earned for nothing last year.  I don't know what kind of person he is though.

 

We have 100 million in cap space, we need to shore up our WR and DT position this off season. Cooper may want 15 million a year, the extra 5 million is worth it IMO to have a true #1 to go with Hilton. Chris Jones may want 15-20 million, but again, he could be a difference maker..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wonder if Jacoby could still want to stay here as the backup is we upgrade QB. He hasn’t done enough to warrant another starting job. He would be great as a long term backup. I guess it all depends if he starts next season and how he plays.

 

 

I would think that would be a difficult thing for him to do especially since he was the starter for a year.  If a rookie comes in and JB still starts that's one thing but if a real veteran starter comes in and takes the job I think he would like to move on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:


What did you expect?    For him to publicly trash his own kicker?    Who only happens to be the best kicker of all-time!    What is the matter with you?!?    How sick can you be?

Ballard should have humbled himself, and admitted that he made a mistake keeping Vinateri. Instead, he doubles down on nonsense. 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, shastamasta said:


Henry should be a priority if he becomes available...would give the Colts a top 2-3 TE room. 
 

I would take a Rivers year...just to see what happens...if it got me Henry. 

 

That's how you sell me on Rivers.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JB has been in the league 4 yrs and still can't get into mediocre  level. This team needs to improve and get into  the playoffs next year.  JB is not the answer. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard talked over an hour - Q&A session. That is impressive.  His comfort level with the press and players, communicates confidence, clear expectations and clarity of vision.

I can see why the coaches appreciate working in this organization. 

 

Loved his acknowledgement about beginning to address the injury issue.  I hope that includes evaluating the medical process and solutions to minimize these injuries.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

Ballard should have humbled himself, and admitted that he made a mistake keeping Vinateri. Instead, he doubles down on nonsense. 

You live in a world all your own.   With views that almost no one here endorses.   
 

Pkayers appreciate that neither the front office or the coaches throw the players under the bus.  They work hard to keep things in-house.   
 

You know how smart Ballard is.  Both he and Reich know the full story on AV.  The humbling you want is for you and your ego.   You want Ballard to publicly say that YOU’RE Right.    That’s what this is all about.  Ballard has a locker room to look after.   He can’t be worried about the fan base over petty stuff....    sorry. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AustexColt said:

Ballard talked over an hour - Q&A session. That is impressive.  His comfort level with the press and players, communicates confidence, clear expectations and clarity of vision.

I can see why the coaches appreciate working in this organization. 

 

Loved his acknowledgement about beginning to address the injury issue.  I hope that includes evaluating the medical process and solutions to minimize these injuries.

 

He'll ultimately be judged on his ability to build a team, but his ease with the media makes him easy to root for and like.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

He also admitted in a way that Luck covered up a lot of holes on this roster.


Every franchise QB covers up holes on a roster.

 

The truth is, every team has holes that the QB either covers up or does not. If every team in the league had the same level of QB play, we’d see there is even more parity than we already see today.

 

That’s why I give Ballard and the staff somewhat of a pass this year. The holes in the roster obviously were more exposed this year but had the team had their franchise QB, many of the blemishes this team has would be covered up.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You live in a world all your own.   With views that almost no one here endorses.   
 

Pkayers appreciate that neither the front office or the coaches throw the players under the bus.  They work hard to keep things in-house.   
 

You know how smart Ballard is.  Both he and Reich know the full story on AV.  The humbling you want is for you and your ego.   You want Ballard to publicly say that YOU’RE Right.    That’s what this is all about.  Ballard has a locker room to look after.   He can’t be worried about the fan base over petty stuff....    sorry. 

Yes, truth or not, Ballard said what needed to be said.   

It's hard not to like Ballard and the improvements he has made with this team.   

It'll be easier for me not to like him if he settles for Brissett as the starter for the 2020 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, shastamasta said:


Henry should be a priority if he becomes available...would give the Colts a top 2-3 TE room. 
 

I would take a Rivers year...just to see what happens...if it got me Henry. 

 

Problem is I don't see the Chargers letting Henry go.  I don't know their full situation but especially if they are going rookie on their QB they should have the money to bring him back.  I think he's only 26.

 

However I suppose if we snatched Rivers up quickly, Hunter might decide to follow his QB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


You think I agreed with you that Hooker was drafted too high?   In a word — no.   Hooker was drafted right where he was supposed to go.

 

 

 

Oh. Ok. I could have missed that from "As for Hooker, he isn’t bad.  He’s just not as good as we expected.  Not as good as we hoped for." 

 

You don't seem willing to give me any rope or leeway. I dunno what I did, but maybe we can start from scratch. I didn't think one way or the other about you until Sunday when you misinterpreted me and then did it again today. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would think that would be a difficult thing for him to do especially since he was the starter for a year.  If a rookie comes in and JB still starts that's one thing but if a real veteran starter comes in and takes the job I think he would like to move on.  

I don't think there is any good scenario where we pay our former starting QB $10 mil to be the backup. At least a QB like JB who is young and wants to be a starter....not the Eli situation.

 

If we acquire a QB that is good enough to be the starter next year, either a vet or a rookie, I think you have to remove JB from the roster almost at the same time.

 

Its why I've thrown out the scenario of including him in any trade up we make for a rookie or vet.  It would make more sense for JB to come into a new team being thought of as the backup right away, and the other team would see that and want him as part of a trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think there is any good scenario where we pay our former starting QB $10 mil to be the backup. At least a QB like JB who is young and wants to be a starter....not the Eli situation.

 

If we acquire a QB that is good enough to be the starter next year, either a vet or a rookie, I think you have to remove JB from the roster almost at the same time.

 

Its why I've thrown out the scenario of including him in any trade up we make for a rookie or vet.  It would make more sense for JB to come into a new team being thought of as the backup right away, and the other team would see that and want him as part of a trade.

Think the price tag is $21.5 if we keep him next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Oh. Ok. I could have missed that from "As for Hooker, he isn’t bad.  He’s just not as good as we expected.  Not as good as we hoped for." 

 

You don't seem willing to give me any rope or leeway. I dunno what I did, but maybe we can start from scratch. I didn't think one way or the other about you until Sunday when you misinterpreted me and then did it again today. 

 

I’m not giving you any rope or leeway? 
 

I thought my whole last graph where I agreed we don’t communicate well and apologized to you for my part in that and reassured you it wasn’t deliberate And offered that I hope we do better this year was all the leeway anyone could hope for.  
 

Im sincere about this.  I’m taking half the blame and offering to do better.   You were hoping for more? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Think the price tag is $21.5 if we keep him next year.

Yeah, that's a big tag to pay a backup for one year, especially when Ballard indicated that he had issue with the roster (meaning we wouldn't keep him just to win a few games in a deep playoff run).  Ballard said at the presser that the contract has no obligatory cap hit.  So it seems like we either start JB next year or move on.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Ballard talked over an hour - Q&A session. That is impressive.  His comfort level with the press and players, communicates confidence, clear expectations and clarity of vision.

I can see why the coaches appreciate working in this organization. 

 

Loved his acknowledgement about beginning to address the injury issue.  I hope that includes evaluating the medical process and solutions to minimize these injuries.

 

 

we've changed doctors, training staff and conditioning staffs.  the only thing we've not changed... the turf at both LOS and West 56th street. I've been saying for years it is a contributing factor. I hope they look deep into replacing it

Just now, DougDew said:

Yeah, that's a big tag to pay a backup for one year.  Ballard said at the presser that the contract has no obligatory cap hit.  So it seems like we either start JB next year or move on.  

yep, no cap hit, the hit was fully front loaded. so it lets us out easily.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yes, truth or not, Ballard said what needed to be said.   

It's hard not to like Ballard and the improvements he has made with this team.   

It'll be easier for me not to like him if he settles for Brissett as the starter for the 2020 season.

The statements he made about Jacoby today makes me think he is not going to settle for Jacoby next year.   I think he's going to make a move at QB.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:


Yes, poor you.  How terrible it must be to be you.   You suffered a losing season.   My, how you’ve suffered!

 

And speaking of babies?!?   Feel free to look in the mirror!

Lol, I just made a comment sorry if didn’t like it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely needs to move on from Jacoby.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The statements he made about Jacoby today makes me think he is not going to settle for Jacoby next year.   I think he's going to make a move at QB.  

He clearly said they will not teach for a QB. 

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

we've changed doctors, training staff and conditioning staffs.  the only thing we've not changed... the turf at both LOS and West 56th street. I've been saying for years it is a contributing factor. I hope they look deep into replacing it

yep, no cap hit, the hit was fully front loaded. so it lets us out easily.

I believe all the broken bones except maybe Mack happened on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yes, truth or not, Ballard said what needed to be said.   

It's hard not to like Ballard and the improvements he has made with this team.   

It'll be easier for me not to like him if he settles for Brissett as the starter for the 2020 season.

I think you should prepare to be disappointed.   Ballard is prepared to give JB another shot.  
 

Anyone we draft is not going to be ready in September.  They will need a redshirt year.  And which veteran are we acquiring without trading a high draft pick?  Ballard will count on an improved Brissett plus an improved roster for a better season. 
 

If things don’t get better in ‘20,  then we can look for some bigger moves.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeremy Waldon said:

I just read an article saying the Colts are interested in Phillip Rivers( could be a stairstep with him starting and grooming a drafted QB or even a Chad Kelly

Cant say i would be upset, But it seems clear if JB doesnt improve Ballard could pull the pin on him

The guy is 38, and is beginning to droop

 

I think he is out of gas.....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, that's a big tag to pay a backup for one year, especially when Ballard indicated that he had issue with the roster (meaning we wouldn't keep him just to win a few games in a deep playoff run).  Ballard said at the presser that the contract has no obligatory cap hit.  So it seems like we either start JB next year or move on.  


We’re not PAYING $21.5 mill.   It’s the cap hit.   But we’re only actually paying roughly half of that which is cheap. 
 

Big difference.   The Colts have always negotiated good deals.  Nothing has changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you should prepare to be disappointed.   Ballard is prepared to give JB another shot.  
 

 

I think (and fear) you are correct.

Ready for another near .500 season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

 

I kinda wonder if the "don't force the QB selection" talk is him thinking there's a few of them that are all grouped together talent wise that could be had in the 2nd round. Would be a Ballard move for sure. I'm up in arms with the QB talent in this draft, it's literally a crap shoot.

That was my thinking too. That maybe he’s not taking Herbert or Love at 13. Maybe he’ll trade back into the bottom of the 1st for Love, but he didn’t sound adamant that they absolutely have to add a QB of the future. Maybe that was him being purposely vague but idk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:


We’re not PAYING $21.5 mill.   It’s the cap hit.   But we’re only actually paying roughly half of that which is cheap. 
 

Big difference.   The Colts have always negotiated good deals.  Nothing has changed.

That's what I thought, but it wouldn't be a cap hit if we cut him.  Whatever the price, I don't think we pay him his current contract to backup another QB.  After being paid to be a starter, and starting, I think retaining him at his current contract level would strike the other players as being some sort of nice-guy based charity.  If he's a backup, he takes a pay cut and a new contract, IMO.  It would be better for all parties if it was with a new team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you should prepare to be disappointed.   Ballard is prepared to give JB another shot.  
 

Anyone we draft is not going to be ready in September.  They will need a redshirt year.  And which veteran are we acquiring without trading a high draft pick?  Ballard will count on an improved Brissett plus an improved roster for a better season. 
 

If things don’t get better in ‘20,  then we can look for some bigger moves.  

I think what he is saying is that he will move on from JB if he can.  And "if he can" is pretty liberal.  My guess would be that Irsay has said that he is willing to pay more in terms of capital to move on....give Ballard some leeway if the team-build slows because we make a trade.  That was probably the basis of their discussion a while back.

 

That still doesn't mean a deal for a vet or to move up can be done, or that an acceptable Qb is available, but I think the FO is willing to pay a fairly steep price if they see one they like. JMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:


We’re not PAYING $21.5 mill.   It’s the cap hit.   But we’re only actually paying roughly half of that which is cheap. 
 

Big difference.   The Colts have always negotiated good deals.  Nothing has changed.

we can actually cut him for 0 cap hit as well.. just saying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stephen Holder mentioned on the radio Jet fans were sending his tweets to the jets. Seems they are jealous of how ballard handles the press and how open he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think you should prepare to be disappointed.    Balkard is prepared to give JB another shot.  
 

Anyone we draft us not going to be ready in September.  They will need a redshirt year.   And which veteran are we acquiring without trading a high draft pick.   Ballard will count on an improved Brissett plus an improved roster for a better season. 
 

If things don’t get better in ‘20,  then we can look for some bigger moves.  

I didnt hear anything that said that he wouldnt draft a QB, just that he wouldnt force it

 

To me, that means he will take QB, if it makes sense, but not give up the farm. 

(No big trade ups)... and possibly..... not in the first 2 rounds.

 

And...... I believe that the "force" comment also meant that if the QB that he wanted.... wasnt there........ he wasnt going to waste a pick

 

JB will be given another shot, but as stated, he has to get better

 

CB has ALWAYS been on the side of lavishing praise on players at press conferences

When he speaks, he is always on the "sky is a little brighter" than the situation actually is.

 

He sees this problem. 

 

I trust that he will make the right call

 

If he goes to a rookie mid season or stays with Brissett for the full year......  we should all be prepared for another sub par season

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

 

 

If he goes to a rookie mid season or stays with Brissett for the full year......  we should all be prepared for another sub par season

 

 

Yep.   It'll be a long season.   Wasting a great O-line.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I didnt hear anything that said that he wouldnt draft a QB, just that he wouldnt force it

 

To me, that means he will take QB, if it makes sense, but not give up the farm. 

(No big trade ups)... and possibly..... not in the first 2 rounds.

 

JB will be given another shot, but as stated, he has to get better

 

 

I would also add that i felt it meant that he would look at QBs but he will not reach either.  If he doesn't have  a1st round grade on the QB, then he won't take one with the 13th pick.   He especially won't pass up a player like Derrick Brown, Javon Kinlaw, Ceedee Lamb, Henry Ruggs (BPA) for a reach at QB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I didnt hear anything that said that he wouldnt draft a QB, just that he wouldnt force it

 

To me, that means he will take QB, if it makes sense, but not give up the farm. 

(No big trade ups)... and possibly..... not in the first 2 rounds.

 

And...... I believe that the "force" comment also meant that if the QB that he wanted.... wasnt there........ he wasnt going to waste a pick

 

JB will be given another shot, but as stated, he has to get better

 

CB has ALWAYS been on the side of lavishing praise on players at press conferences

When he speaks, he is always on the "sky is a little brighter" than the situation actually is.

 

He sees this problem. 

 

I trust that he will make the right call

 

If he goes to a rookie mid season or stays with Brissett for the full year......  we should all be prepared for another sub par season

 

 

Ballard also said chiefs were brilliant to move up for Mahomes.  You can bet if he sees a guy like that he will move up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think what he is saying is that he will move on from JB if he can.  And "if he can" is pretty liberal.  My guess would be that Irsay has said that he is willing to pay more in terms of capital to move on....give Ballard some leeway if the team-build slows because we make a trade.  That was probably the basis of their discussion a while back.

 

That still doesn't mean a deal for a vet or to move up can be done, or that an acceptable Qb is available, but I think the FO is willing to pay a fairly steep price if they see one they like. JMO.

I agree.  I think Ballard is going to try to move on from JB if he can.  I don't think his first choice is to give JB another year.  He could be forced too but I think he will try very hard to find a replacement.  It's clear he is no longer in love with him.  He won't reach for a QB in the draft so if he doesn't move up or take one at 13 it's obvious he doesn't have one with a 1st. rd grade.  QB is the most important position and he's not happy with ours so if the guy is there before him he will move up or take him at 13.   I could also see Ballard trading a high pick for a veteran QB.  He would be increasing the teams chances for success without taking the risk that the QB he drafts doesn't turn out like he would have hoped.  I don't think he wants another sub par season if he can avoid it.  He has a lot of ammo to go down a couple of roads.  So we shall see. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

 

All in on Jacoby.  Really?  That's what he heard.  Good grief.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I understand.  I live and Tennessee and i have seen first hand that people stopped believing in Mariota and stopped going to the games.  But in the end JB is still the best, realistic option next year, if you want to compete.  No rookie will come in and do any better, espeically if JB can improve. 

 

Everyone keeps saying prepare for JB being the starter.  The reason is that he is the best option for next year.  Now that doesn't mean that they don't draft a QB, but that QB won't be the best option for next year.

That’s just common sense.  Anyone thinking a drafted rookie will be better than Brissett next season is not being realistic.  I don’t expect Ballard to sign a free agent QB.  It will be Jacoby and a drafted Qb per Irsay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...