Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The scary truth of the colts future

boo2202

Before I get into this let me say I’m a big fan of Ballard and Reich, none of this will be bashing what they’ve done. It’s more what other organizations have done. 

Looking at at our roster, it’s voided of players that can make plays at critical positions. 

QB-WR-TE-DE-DT-CB?

Thats a lot of areas that truly need improvement of this team, that will take multiple offseason’s to Acquire and develop. We lack talent that can take over a game or can stop another team from taking over a game. 

Now here’s the scary truth. We lost our main difference maker at the start of the year with luck retiring. He was the one guy that gave us a chance every game. Watching these young QBs (Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, etc) makes we wonder how you expect to contend with these teams the next few years with the decencies this team has. We’re missing key areas on how to keep up with these teams and positions to stop them. 

The last couple of games have really got me to pull my blue color shades off and realize just how much #12 meant to this team on both sides of the ball. He meant a lot to the coaching staff to as they actually trusted him. It may take a few years but there will be better days ahead for sure, just going take a little longer than we want to admit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Most teams would've buckled at all these injuries. 

Yes I completely agree but the thing is at full strength would we really stand a chance going into Foxborough or Baltimore in the playoffs? I’m not sure I’d like our chances in Buffalo, the way our Offense is playing. Don’t like saying it but this team would probably be better off in the long run with a better draft position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Justin Houston has made a ton of plays at DE, he has been a  great signing. Grover Stewart is taking a big step forward at DT this season as well. Not sure we lack WR talent yet because we havent seen T.Y., Funchess and Campbell all 100% and playing together. We should in the next 2 weeks or so.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Yes I completely agree but the thing is at full strength would we really stand a chance going into Foxborough or Baltimore in the playoffs? I’m not sure I’d like our chances in Buffalo, the way our Offense is playing. Don’t like saying it but this team would probably be better off in the long run with a better draft position. 

Andrew never beat NE in their 5 matchups. Why would that change with this team? Or are you saying the roster isn't as bad as originally thought? 

Imo we aren't that far off. We have a stellar oline and we do have playmakers on both sides of the ball.  We just need an upgrade at QB,  WR, CB and DT. Luck really took a dump on this team when he left last minute.  Honestly I think Ebron bailed because he came to the Colts to play with Luck...not Brissett. A cruddy attitude I know but you can tell Reich and company were taken by surprise with him choosing to go on IR. Honestly I only see the Colts winning maybe 2 of the next 5 games so maybe we can snag one of the top QBs coming out of the draft. I know Ballard has been keeping an eye on Jordan Love.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Imo we aren't that far off. We have a stellar oline and we do have playmakers on both sides of the ball.  We just need an upgrade at QB,  WR, CB and DT. Luck really took a dump on this team when he left last minute.  Honestly I think Ebron bailed because he came to the Colts to play with Luck...not Brissett. A cruddy attitude I know but you can tell Reich and company were taken by surprise with him choosing to go on IR. Honestly I only see the Colts winning maybe 2 of the next 5 games so maybe we can snag one of the top QBs coming out of the draft. I know Ballard has been keeping an eye on Jordan Love.....

I agree for the most part, but I think we're farther off than you do. We also need a TE, RG, and K. This year the Colts are a very average team, and I doubt having Luck here would have made much of a difference. Too many injuries, dropped balls, and questionable play calling to let this team do very well. Couple of this and we're 9-2, couple of that and we're 2-9. 

I like the foundation that's been started and it should continue to make the team better and better over a few seasons. Since 18 left, it's finally getting close to being a good time to be a Colts fan again. 

Nothing scary to me.....things are headed in the right direction in so many ways. 

This appears to me, to be hand wringing of the classic kind. On the way to great things, every step is not always better than the last. 

BTW, is it not ironic that a thread entitled "scary", is started by a poster named "boo"?

• Like 2

If you look at teams that made it far into the playoffs with an average QB, or even to the Superbowl with an average QB (Dilfer, Flacco, Grossman), the common denominator was a dominant defense.

Our defense right now is cute. It's good, but not imposing; Not manhandling people. Not dominant. Not taking away the ball nearly enough.

If we stick with the likes of JB, we will need the 2017 version of the Jags defense, or the Broncos defense with Manning.

We're a long ways away.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm in this mindset as well. There are a lot of obstacles to overcome. Yes, timely injuries and retirements have derailed our season, but it's also exposed that we are still years away from being true world beaters. 

Ballard has a lot of work to do this off-season; any other GM would collapse with all of the problems we have faced. I hope he continues to be up for task, because it's going to take a lot of work and a whole heck of a lot of luck... 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Well, there you have it. It's recognizing how bad some believe we are.....and the team will read this, and make it all better. 

Or, enjoy the bumpy path as our Colts rise!

Simple choice for me....

No doom or gloom, just stating the obvious. Didn’t bash the team. If we’re going to compete with upper echelon teams we need improvement in many areas, plain and simple. Can that be done with five left to play. No. Can it be done in one offseason. Probably not. It’s going to take a few years. I was one that felt optimistic about JB, but have some doubts now about his play. Many others have stated this. TY is getting up there in age. Our TE position is need of some talent. Some of our higher picks haven’t produce (Wilson, Lewis, etc). I mean what team are you watching and evaluating cause I don’t think it’s our colts.

Did I slip into a coma and miss a couple of years? 

We've been in the middle of a rebuild for 2 years now, with a couple more years to go.

Luck retiring may have pushed us back a year.

We were never going to be contenders with or without Luck

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

No doom or gloom, just stating the obvious. Didn’t bash the team. If we’re going to compete with upper echelon teams we need improvement in many areas, plain and simple. Can that be done with five left to play. No. Can it be done in one offseason. Probably not. It’s going to take a few years. I was one that felt optimistic about JB, but have some doubts now about his play. Many others have stated this. TY is getting up there in age. Our TE position is need of some talent. Some of our higher picks haven’t produce (Wilson, Lewis, etc). I mean what team are you watching and evaluating cause I don’t think it’s our colts.

I see the team entirely different.

Safety - solid with young depth

CB - solid with young depth

LB - solid with young depth

DE - solid (but aging) with young depth, could use a young "Sheard like" player.

DT - need upgrade and depth

OLine - strong with some depth (Haeg & Andrews). Upgrade RG, or sign/draft RT and slide Smith over to RG. Glowinski as depth is fine.

TE - could use an upgrade.

WR - This is a tough one. Our #1,#2,#3 have missed a ton of games. Add in Fountain, and 4 of our projected 6 WR's have either missed all, most, or a good part of the season.

RB's - we are solid with depth

QB - After 11 weeks, my opinion is JB is not the long term answer, but I'm not qualified to make that statement definitively.  However,  I am sure that Ballard and Reich already know this answer.

P - Good enough

K - need upgrade

• Like 7

2 hours ago, coltsva said:

And the Colts have done this with an average QB, playing against two of the best current QB's. Seems to me our roster from top to bottom is well ahead of both the Chiefs and Texans, and we are setting ourselves up very well to compete with them for the next several years.

This is likely true.  As many of us have said before, we need a few playmakers at important playmaking positions to get to the next level.  We've been saying this for a while.

Essentially, we have drafted a C, a FS, a G, and now a CB to replace our #1 CB (Wilson) who was supposed to replace our former #1 CB (Vontae Davis).   Just like trying to find a replacement for Reggie Wayne, we've spent several years trying to find a replacement for VD.  ( I know we play a different D, but CB has still been a revolving door)

We may have to devote more capital this year or next to still find those replacements.

We've spent several years treading water and being good at accumulating very good players, which is important, but we haven't added a real dynamic playmaker for many years.  And this isn't about GMs or blaming this person or that person.   This is about what the Colts have done as an organization over these many years.

I don’t listen to anyone who says we need ......... and they list a litany of positions as if we can’t compete or win until we get an all pro at each position. that’s not how it works in the NFL. The Eagles won with a good oline, good dline, a backup QB, a mix of RBs and a mix of WRs and good play calling. Very similar to us I would say

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This is likely true.  As many of us have said before, we need a few playmakers at important playmaking positions to get to the next level.  We've been saying this for a while.

Essentially, we have drafted a C, a FS, a G, and now a CB to replace our #1 CB (Wilson) who was supposed to replace our former #1 CB (Vontae Davis).   Just like trying to find a replacement for Reggie Wayne, we've spent several years trying to find a replacement for VD.  ( I know we play a different D, but CB has still been a revolving door)

Still not sure we have to devote more capital this year or next to still find those replacements.

We've spent several years treading water and being good at accumulating very good players, which is important, but we haven't added a real dynamic playmaker for many years.  And this isn't about GMs or blaming this person or that person.   This is about what the Colts have done as an organization over these many years.

Agree, the Colts need another player that keeps opposition coaches up at night. Preferably at QB, but could also be at WR, TE, or on the Dline.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Agree, the Colts need another player that keeps opposition coaches up at night. Preferably at QB, but could also be at WR, TE, or on the Dline.

And that treading water at impactful positions for probably 5 years is what influences my thinking about JB and the QB.  

If we use more picks just to draft the next Matthew Stafford or Matt Ryan, thereby not being able to advance the roster in other playmaking areas, then I don't know if we will advance our situation than if we just didn't use those high picks to draft the real playmakers that we haven't had in 5 years, and who will help JB.

27 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Actually.  Having the first player on the roster like that would be nice.

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Andrew never beat NE in their 5 matchups. Why would that change with this team? Or are you saying the roster isn't as bad as originally thought? 

If we have a healthy mack I believe we could go to Foxborough  and run them out the stadium. Our main issue is the offense isn't  explosive enough.  Despite  that we have been in every game.

I don't think we are that far off.  If Luck were playing this year, team would be at least 9-2 IMHO and none of this talk would be going on.  The offense not being able to move the ball also affects the defense and special teams.   Sure, we need another #2 receiver and more pass rush.  But remember that every team has holes.  Look at what the Patriots are doing using Lawrence Guy and John Simon, two ex-Colts.  Look at KCs defense.  I think the bottom line is our QB is backup material who is a conservative game manager.  Until we change that, it will be hard to compete for titles. I am still hoping Luck comes back.  Or that we can draft someone with a bigger upside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I don't think we are that far off.  If Luck were playing this year, team would be at least 9-2 IMHO and none of this talk would be going on.  The offense not being able to move the ball also affects the defense and special teams.   Sure, we need another #2 receiver and more pass rush.  But remember that every team has holes.  Look at what the Patriots are doing using Lawrence Guy and John Simon, two ex-Colts.  Look at KCs defense.  I think the bottom line is our QB is backup material who is a conservative game manager.  Until we change that, it will be hard to compete for titles. I am still hoping Luck comes back.  Or that we can draft someone with a bigger upside.

We are fine at pass rush. If turay didn't  go down we'd probably  be even better. Just need some elite pass catchers, new kicker and a dt. 

7 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I don't know if I even want Luck back after he left us high and dry...... Maybe to trade.

52 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Until they get maimed....and sooner or later they all do.

never really happened to mike vick. sure he got hurt sometimes like every player, but he never tore up his legs and lost his speed.  

i remember in his last season he still out ran lesean mccoy

• Like 1

Good thing the Colts have an abundance of cash to spend this coming off season. Ballard may want to think about trading some draft picks to possibly move up in the draft to pick a QB. I know that's usually not his motto, but he may have to trade up this time around.

• Like 2

I think you are wrong about future. We are 6-5 with missing FGs, and missing QB for 2 game, and WR missing a lot of games, and TE who is #1 in drops. We have the most cash available to spend in the FA, and good drafts don't forget WASHINGTON Rd 2. Based on CB draft track record, I am happy where we are given the situation where we could be with out QB retiring in preseason. 

• Like 1