Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
boo2202

The scary truth of the colts future

Recommended Posts

We just can't seem to get all parts of this team clicking at the same time.  I don't see that really changing in the near future.  The defense seems to be OK even though they give up some really big plays and they struggle a bit against really good QBs.  Now we have to build up the offense.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Nothing scary to me.....things are headed in the right direction in so many ways. 

 

This appears to me, to be hand wringing of the classic kind. On the way to great things, every step is not always better than the last. 

 

BTW, is it not ironic that a thread entitled "scary", is started by a poster named "boo"?

 

Honestly, when I saw the title of this post, I thought it was going to be how scary good we are going to be in a shorter period of time than most people think. 

 

We may need an upgrade at qb (I'll give JB the rest of the season), but all we are really lacking is a DT.  All the other positions are solid with the potential to be really good.  The defense was already pretty good and now we add Willis, Okereke, Ya-Sin, Houston.  Turay is back next year.  Our oline is still one of the best.  Wr is OK, and that's without funchess and Campbell.  Running game is outstanding.  Maybe te depending on what happens with the FAs. 

 

Sure we could always improve, but I don't see how we supposedly have all these gaping holes.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

 

 

Our defense right now is cute. It's good, but not imposing; Not manhandling people. Not dominant. Not taking away the ball nearly enough.

 

 

The Colts defense is pretty darn good.   Especially compared to how they have been for the past decade.  They are 13th is yards per game, 13th in yards per play, 13th in forced fumbles, 15th in INT's.  I'll take it.   The D-line needs upgraded though.   

 

I think this team is ready to compete for a championship now if the QB was upgraded.   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MPStack said:

For the Colts to be 6-5 with injuries and losing their Franchise QB, tells me it’s not all doom and gloom. 
 

Flush with CAP space and draft capital, the future isn’t bad at all. 
 

Getting healthy, adding a few more playmakers and IMO finding a QB that fits Reich’s scheme will have the Colts contenders in the not to distant future.

You are right, Flush with cap space and draft capital, now they just need to use it!  CB has shown he knows how to find good players, we have the coaches, don't just sit on all of it back next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to post this in both the "Scary Truth" and "Crumbling" threads... lol

 

Total O - Bottom 10ish (22nd)

Run O - Top 5 (3rd)

Pas O - Bottom 5 (28th)

OL - Top 5

 

Total D - Slightly above average median (13th)

Pass D - Average (16th)

Rush D - Top 10 (8th)

DL - Slightly above average

 

The only thing really scary about this team is the passing game. Everything else is average to elite. The only thing that is crumbling is the fan base's patience and interest. I think waning is a better word than crumbling.

 

Sure we need upgrades in some non-QB areas, but overall this team is much more solid front to back than in the past. The only gaping hole right now is the passing game. And that can be impacted with a good pick or two.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Before I get into this let me say I’m a big fan of Ballard and Reich, none of this will be bashing what they’ve done. It’s more what other organizations have done. 

 

Looking at at our roster, it’s voided of players that can make plays at critical positions. 

 

QB-WR-TE-DE-DT-CB?

 

Thats a lot of areas that truly need improvement of this team, that will take multiple offseason’s to Acquire and develop. We lack talent that can take over a game or can stop another team from taking over a game. 

 

Now here’s the scary truth. We lost our main difference maker at the start of the year with luck retiring. He was the one guy that gave us a chance every game. Watching these young QBs (Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, etc) makes we wonder how you expect to contend with these teams the next few years with the decencies this team has. We’re missing key areas on how to keep up with these teams and positions to stop them. 

 

The last couple of games have really got me to pull my blue color shades off and realize just how much #12 meant to this team on both sides of the ball. He meant a lot to the coaching staff to as they actually trusted him. It may take a few years but there will be better days ahead for sure, just going take a little longer than we want to admit.

I agree we are week at some of those positions. I think we have talent at cornerback Desir is good, he didn't play bad. Hopkins is the best reciever in the game hands down. Those were well thrown balls. I also think the other corners are good and getting better. Its more of scheme problems and miscommunication, plus lack of pressure to help them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

Andrew never beat NE in their 5 matchups. Why would that change with this team? Or are you saying the roster isn't as bad as originally thought? 

 

Because Andrew turned the ball plentiful and the defense couldn't muster up a stop in those games. Recipes for blowouts against the Patriots.

 

This team can run the ball, move the sticks and shorten the game up. They can also make stops. This team's makeup won't allow for blowouts. Which gives us a fighting chance in pretty much every game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

Andrew never beat NE in their 5 matchups. Why would that change with this team? Or are you saying the roster isn't as bad as originally thought? 

I definitely think this team minus the QB is in a much better position to beat NE. 

In the Luck years, we had poor Ds, questionable OLs going against their DLs, shotty overall roster, and Brady was prime Brady.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valid points. I just see us being in the Quarterback market after next year. In all serious I’m not sure if upgrading the wr and te position will help the passing game due to our QB’s play. So when your in the market for a new QB your usually a few years away from seriously competing for a super bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Valid points. I just see us being in the Quarterback market after next year. In all serious I’m not sure if upgrading the wr and te position will help the passing game due to our QB’s play. So when your in the market for a new QB your usually a few years away from seriously competing for a super bowl. 

Colts first team to win superbowl  with a rookie  qb next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all. I just have to say, I’m ecstatic with this season. After the Luck bombshell, I really thought we would be bottom dwellers. Man, we are sooooo close to making the playoffs. Thats crazy man!  I enjoy every game. Ya never know, cause ANY given Sunday. Peace. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Before I get into this let me say I’m a big fan of Ballard and Reich, none of this will be bashing what they’ve done. It’s more what other organizations have done. 

 

Looking at at our roster, it’s voided of players that can make plays at critical positions. 

 

QB-WR-TE-DE-DT-CB?

 

Thats a lot of areas that truly need improvement of this team, that will take multiple offseason’s to Acquire and develop. We lack talent that can take over a game or can stop another team from taking over a game. 

 

Now here’s the scary truth. We lost our main difference maker at the start of the year with luck retiring. He was the one guy that gave us a chance every game. Watching these young QBs (Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, etc) makes we wonder how you expect to contend with these teams the next few years with the decencies this team has. We’re missing key areas on how to keep up with these teams and positions to stop them. 

 

The last couple of games have really got me to pull my blue color shades off and realize just how much #12 meant to this team on both sides of the ball. He meant a lot to the coaching staff to as they actually trusted him. It may take a few years but there will be better days ahead for sure, just going take a little longer than we want to admit.

Heres the antidote:

We’re young, with good depth and our cap is in WONDERFUL shape.  We also have that #2 at the top of the 2nd as a bonus.  We have lots of options.

  I believe we have some playmakers that will just get better as they gain experience.
 

  The Luck thing really affected this team. I think we’d be averaging another td/game.

Under the corcumstances... Luck, WR injuries/average play, etc.... i think we’ve done well to get to 6-5.

  I like the team overall, we ate just used to Seeing the QB position cranking it up when needed.  We’ve been spoiled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

In those two positions we are ok.  If the QB didn't retire,   the team would be playoff bound

The thread made me think of the few years when we had Reggie, Mathis, and Vontae on the same team.  Those were three players that were generally able to beat the opponents best players one on one.  At least Reggie could beat the other team's best corner (with TY benefiting), Mathis the team's best OT, and VD shut down the team's best WR.  The rest of the roster needed upgrading,  but the rest of the roster isn't very impactful individually.  You don't need a great roster everywhere.  You need it where it matters most.

 

We don't have players who can do that, and we need some no matter who is playing QB, IMO. 

 

Our best players are a G, a FS (supposedly), and a WILL.  Positions where they are not matched up against an opponent one on one very much.  

 

Without impact guys at impact positions, I see perpetual 11-5 or 10-6 with maybe winning one playoff game, which is what we've had.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The thread made me think of the few years when we had Reggie, Mathis, and Vontae on the same team.  Those were three players that were generally able to beat the opponents best players one on one.  At least Reggie could beat the other team's best corner (with TY benefiting), Mathis the team's best OT, and VD shut down the team's best WR.  The rest of the roster needed upgrading,  but the rest of the roster isn't very impactful individually.  You don't need a great roster everywhere.  You need it where it matters most.

 

We don't have players who can do that, and we need some no matter who is playing QB, IMO. 

 

Our best players are a G, a FS (supposedly), and a WILL.  Positions where they are not matched up against an opponent one on one very much.  

 

Without impact guys at impact positions, I see perpetual 11-5 or 10-6 with maybe winning one playoff game, which is what we've had.

I disagree with your 3 examples. Remember that people used to say Reggie and Mathis were so good because of Harrison and Freeny getting so much attention and vontae wasn’t good for long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

 

Because Andrew turned the ball plentiful and the defense couldn't muster up a stop in those games. Recipes for blowouts against the Patriots.

 

This team can run the ball, move the sticks and shorten the game up. They can also make stops. This team's makeup won't allow for blowouts. Which gives us a fighting chance in pretty much every game.  

 

The main point though is that he never showed he could win vs the pats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Our FS just lost us the game against Houston!!

I don't think he did.  I don't think he had responsibility on all of them.  It happens.  He should still get better. 

 

But for the future, I hope that he isn't one of our three best players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are better than a 6-5 record. Some tough losses with missed FG and XP. Biggest disappointment has been decline in passing game. Most of that is due to lack of playmakers at WR and some tough injuries (Campbell, Funchess). It is hard to evaluate JB since he has not had the complement of wideouts that could stretch a defense. I believe we would have a better passing game if he had better receivers who can separate from defenders. It appears that we have almost no vertical passing game right now. Not sure I can pin that on JB. He is not Andrew Luck but then again no one else is either.

 

I would not be upset if Colts drafted a QB high up who they can groom as potential replacement for Brissett. Perhaps a 2nd round pick for a QB is in order unless a solid QB is available in 1st round.

 

I like our running game - best we have had since James/Rhodes era. We definitely need a kicker and I would love to have someone who can field punts and gain some yard  vs. mainly fair catching kicks. 

 

this team needs an upgrade at TE. Doyle is fine. Ebron is probably out after this season. We could use a TE who can be another receiving target downfield.  OL is good - probably need to find upgrade at RT and slot Smith over at Guard.

 

On defense  - I like what we have done at LB, CB and Safety. DL is good but not great. Would love to get a playmaker on the line who can dominate and put fear in the eyes of a QB. We are not far off from having a dominant defense. Right now it is good but not great. 

 

CB needs another solid draft and hopefully he can score with a few FA signings to upgrade areas on offense and defense.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I disagree with your 3 examples. Remember that people used to say Reggie and Mathis were so good because of Harrison and Freeny getting so much attention and vontae wasn’t good for long. 

During the years I'm talking about, the pre-injured Luck years; Marvin was gone, Freeney was either gone or not used very much, and VD was pretty much a shut down corner.

 

It struck me as having players where the opposing coaches had to scheme to counter.  As it stands today, we have the opposite. 

 

We have a better overall roster, but there isn't a receiver the coaches don't have to scheme open, a pass rusher they don't have to scheme a numbers advantage for,  and even though we play a different coverage D than we did with VD,  I wouldn't trust any of our corners with covering the other teams best receiver and have much success at all.  Our best defender, our WILL, is expected to tackle the player AFTER they get the ball, more or less, which is not as impactful as a defender who gets sacks or pressures or negates the completion in the first place.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think he did.  I don't think he had responsibility on all of them.  It happens.  He should still get better. 

 

But for the future, I hope that he isn't one of our three best players.

On the deep throw for a TD he was reasonable IMO. I still think hes a good player but that one was on him! All of the blame for the loss is not on him, but that play hurt!! Especially in a tight ball game. Future I hope hes really good, but your top 3 players on a team hopefully would be your QB, a RB or WR & a pass rush guy ideally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

On the deep throw for a TD he was reasonable IMO. I still think hes a good player but that one was on him! All of the blame for the loss is not on him, but that play hurt!! Especially in a tight ball game. Future I hope hes really good, but your top 3 players on a team hopefully would be your QB, a RB or WR & a pass rush guy ideally. 

Yeah, when you have Luck, its easy to make the QB your best player.  If you have Matthew Stafford, he probably shouldn't be the best but should be in the top 5, possibly need him to be in the top 10.

 

As for our future, we have two important positions filled with very good players right now, LT and #1 WR.  The problem is that they are the same players we had at those positions 7 years ago, so how long will they be what we need?  We're going to have to use some high picks fairly soon just to maintain what we have there, which won't help us add talent in other places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, when you have Luck, its easy to make the QB your best player.  If you have Matthew Stafford, he probably shouldn't be the best but should be in the top 5, possibly need him to be in the top 10.

 

As for our future, we have two important positions filled with very good players right now, LT and #1 WR.  The problem is that they are the same players we had at those positions 7 years ago, so how long will they be what we need?  We're going to have to use some high picks fairly soon just to maintain what we have there, which won't help us add talent in other places.

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Imo we aren't that far off. We have a stellar oline and we do have playmakers on both sides of the ball.  We just need an upgrade at QB,  WR, CB and DT. Luck really took a dump on this team when he left last minute.  Honestly I think Ebron bailed because he came to the Colts to play with Luck...not Brissett. A cruddy attitude I know but you can tell Reich and company were taken by surprise with him choosing to go on IR. Honestly I only see the Colts winning maybe 2 of the next 5 games so maybe we can snag one of the top QBs coming out of the draft. I know Ballard has been keeping an eye on Jordan Love.....

 

I been checking loves highlights and I really like what I see, he has slid down the boards because of a so so year etc but he just may be a sleeper of the draft and work in our favor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Did I slip into a coma and miss a couple of years? 

 

We've been in the middle of a rebuild for 2 years now, with a couple more years to go.

 

Luck retiring may have pushed us back a year.

 

We were never going to be contenders with or without Luck

This...…..it was never supposed to be a championship season. Ballard had to completely turn over this roster. Then his franchise QB decides to retire. Then constant injuries.

 

The rebuild started with the bigs & LB, and this year will probably focus more on the skill positions. It's going to take more time. Now he might have to use one of their picks on a QB as well.

 

With that said, if Hilton, Campbell, Funches, Mack and a few others could ever stay healthy, this team would look a lot different.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, boo2202 said:

 

 

Now here’s the scary truth. We lost our main difference maker at the start of the year with luck retiring. He was the one guy that gave us a chance every game.

 

Wait, did it take you until week 13 of the season to realize this? You’re  right, that is scary.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Did I slip into a coma and miss a couple of years? 

 

We've been in the middle of a rebuild for 2 years now, with a couple more years to go.

 

Luck retiring may have pushed us back a year.

 

We were never going to be contenders with or without Luck

 

Disagree ... with Luck we were contenders.  Maybe not the favorites, but definitely legitimately in the mix.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stephen said:

We are fine at pass rush. If turay didn't  go down we'd probably  be even better. Just need some elite pass catchers, new kicker and a dt. 

Could still use more pass rush we had nothing against Watson made him look like Montana that's why we lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

Andrew never beat NE in their 5 matchups. Why would that change with this team? Or are you saying the roster isn't as bad as originally thought? 

Because we are a helleva lot better than we were when we lost those 5 games if AL was still here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Btown_Colt said:

 

Wait, did it take you until week 13 of the season to realize this? You’re  right, that is scary.

 

Yea considering the passing offense is reminding me of the painter days!! That’s terrifying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Because we are a helleva lot better than we were when we lost those 5 games if AL was still here.

 

They were considered that in the 2014 AFCCG. Manning couldn't seem to beat him for years. It doesn't matter until you shut the talkers up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Could still use more pass rush we had nothing against Watson made him look like Montana that's why we lost.

That's  because  we rushed three most the game which I found wierd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

The truth is that we simply need a better QB. That is all. 

 

And better luck with health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The truth is the Colts are very very good. Look how bad the ravens muddled through the past 6-7 years with a qb who had mediocre stats, a coach who was on the "hot seat", they lose their 2 best defensive players to free agency(Mosely went to the jest, Smith went to the Packers), they trade their "average" qb to Denver, insert a qb who never came close to winning a national title in college and presto-changeo they are dominant in one season. I'd say we are not that far away people, stranger things have happened. And our oline is light years ahead of the Ravens oline. This is a very solid team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stephen said:

That's  because  we rushed three most the game which I found wierd

Well then that shows me we didn't gameplan whatsoever for this game and the loss goes from being on that to coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

The truth is the Colts are very very good. Look how bad the ravens muddled through the past 6-7 years with a qb who had mediocre stats, a coach who was on the "hot seat", they lose their 2 best defensive players to free agency(Mosely went to the jest, Smith went to the Packers), they trade their "average" qb to Denver, insert a qb who never came close to winning a national title in college and presto-changeo they are dominant in one season. I'd say we are not that far away people, stranger things have happened. And our oline is light years ahead of the Ravens oline. This is a very solid team.

We would be a major threat with a QB that isn't terrible.

5 hours ago, Maniac said:

 

And better luck with health.

Injuries are not a valid excuse next man up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

We would be a major threat with a QB that isn't terrible.

Injuries are not a valid excuse next man up.

Injuries ARE a valid excuse. 

The past history of the NFL proves it. 

What was the history of the Colts with Manning and without Manning? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Out of curiosity, who do you think will be starting over Okereke?  I think we'll see a lot of dime/nickel packages which will make him or Walker come out of the game.. but if I had to guess, I'd think the starting LBs this year will be Leonard, Walker and Bobby O (I think he's certainly capable of being an upgrade to Adams or Franklin -- and right now, https://www.colts.com/team/depth-chart#scroll-defense, the depth chart has him listed as our starting SAM).     Rivers has played with Sproles and Ekeler and utilized them both very well... I think Reich said something about Hines having potential to develop into a Sproles-like player when he was first drafted.. I expect Hines and Rivers will form a solid bond and we'll see Hines (and Campbell) as kind of all-purpose guys on this offense.     If he wasn't a pro-athlete and his uncle wasn't a HOFer, nobody would talk about what Kelly did.  Not saying it's right or wrong, but I imagine many posters on this board have gotten drunk and did something stupid or regrettable at least once in their life time.         Not sure how old you are, but I highly doubt you went through the ages of 18-22 without doing something questionable.  You probably weren't a D-1 football player with a HOF Uncle, so nobody probably really cared to judge you on a public forum.   ____________________________________________________   I think we're going to see a lot of breakout players this year.  The thing Reich talks about a lot is that there will be some weeks where guys will play major roles and others where they will be pretty quiet.  Reich and Sirianni seem to be very adaptable with their offense and they stress the fact that we don't have selfish players on the team.  I think we'll see guys like Hines and Campbell play huge roles in some games and in others we'll hardly see them on the field.   Here's my list:   Hines -- not only as an RB/flex type of guy, but as a returner.  He really became impressive late last year as a punt returner.  If he keeps that up, I could see him being a pro-bowler as a return specialist.  I also see Rivers being able to utilize him a lot better than Brissett did on offense.   Campbell -- kid is a freak athlete.  He showed flashes of being able to play a very versatile role in the offense when healthy last year.... he just needs to keep himself on the field instead of in the trainer's office.   Ya-Sin -- he really came on late last year.  With additions of Buckner, development from Banogu and Turay and our LBers, we have (on paper) a better pass rush.  Should make Ya-Sin's life a lot easier.   Tell -- I was mostly impressed by him last year and he made a position change from college.  I think we'll see him on the field a lot more this year, and if I had to guess he'll be covering bigger TEs quite a bit.   Braden Smith -- Big Q gets a lot of media hype and credit (well deserved), but I don't think Smith is too far off from being a pro-bowl caliber OL.  With the addition of Rivers and the rookie RB, I think our whole OL is going to get a lot more credit this year.   TY -- If he stays healthy, I think the improved QB play is really going to benefit him.   Okereke  -- I see him taking a starting role and really improving.  He played very well last year, especially late in the season.  With a better DL in front of him and more experience, I expect him to really blossom.   Walker -- The addition of Buckner should make AW's life a bit easier.. again, Leonard gets a lot of well deserved credit and attention from our LB corps, but Walker quietly had a very solid year last year.   Hooker -- Contract year and an improved pass rush should really help him out.  Also, I expect the development of Ya-Sin and Tell, with a healthy Kenny Moore and the additions of Rhodes and others, Hooker will have more help from his DB unit as a whole.   Willis -- he had a very solid rookie year, I think his athleticism has him near his 'ceiling' early in his career, but again, improved play in front of him should help him out.   EJ Speed -- Ballard says he's as athletic of an LBer that we have, but came from a small school and was raw as a rookie.  I don't know how much time he'll get on D, but I expect him to be on the field more there and also to excel on STs.   Turay -- he was coming on last year... the addition of Buckner drawing attention from OLs should really help our entire DL.  Turay's workout videos look as though he's really putting in work... hopefully he stays healthy. Banogu -- like Turay, the guy is a very solid athlete who was pretty raw coming out of college.  I anticipate he'll make a similar jump in year 2.   Xavier Rhodes -- not sure if I'd call it a breakout year, as he's been an all-pro before.  Even though he was a probowler last year, it was his worst season to date.. I think he'll fit in very well with this D.   Grover Stewart -- He was a project pick and really started to develop last year.  I think having Buckner next to him will really help him step up.   Autry -- Hunt played pretty terrible last year (or at least digressed from his 2018), and I don't think it had positive effects on Autry.. having Buckner and a healthy Turay along with Justin Houston and others should really help him out.   Le'Raven Clark -- I don't know if he'll see the field, but I won't be shocked at all if replaces Glow, or if Smith moves to RG and Clark moves to RT.     Trey Burton -- he's a Reich guy and (if healthy) I think he can be a very good fit on this offense.   Asthon Dulin -- Don't think he'll be on the field much on O, but he was definitely improving last year.  I do, however, think he'll crack our roster and contribute significantly on STs.   Reece Fountain/Pascal -- I think these guys will be in the 4-6 WR roles, but, with improved QB play and with the addition of Pittman and Patmon, and the hopeful healthiness of TY and Pascal, I think when these guys are on the field, they'll have a lot better chance of being put in favorable matchups.  I thought Pascal played well last year, but with JB digressing as the season went on and with him sometimes being utilized as our #1 WR, I don't think he had the best situation.   Marlon Mack -- I don't know that his stats will go up, per se... but I think with the addition of Taylor (both taking workload off Mack and being a different type of back), that when Mack gets his number called, he's going to be very successful.   *I won't be shocked if Fountain and/or Dulin don't make the team, but if they do, I think they'll be all right for us and improved from last year (maybe not 'breakouts', but certainly should be in better positions with improved QB play and supporting cast).
    • Very glad to see how much influence Mathis has had on Turay.  It's always cool to see an ex-Colt great contributing and helping out our young talent.  Seems as though Reggie helps a bit, but I don't recall anyone like Mathis who remained so involved with the horseshoe and helping develop young talent so much.   Also, very cool to hear how appreciative Turay is of Mathis.  He seems like a good dude.
    • Part of what makes a player great over his career is longevity.  The rule of thumb I have always heard for HOF selection is 'a decade of dominance.'  Unless you really change the game, you have to have ~a decade of being an elite player to get in (an exception may be a guy like Megatron, because his combo of size, speed, power, hands, etc. in some ways revolutionized the game of football).   Leonard is certainly off to a good start.. and by a stats comparison, a better start than Lewis.  Lewis was not an all-pro (first or second team) as a rookie.  He was 2nd team in his 2nd and 3rd years, and again in 2010.  He was first team 7 times.   Leonard was a first team all pro as a rookie, which is very rare.  He was 2nd team in year 2, a year in which he missed 3+ games.  Leonard was the defensive rookie of the year (Simeon Rice got that award when Lewis was a rookie).  At the same points in their careers, Leonard has proven to be better at causing turnovers (his INT numbers are outstanding for a LBer)... but, he also plays in a different scheme and a different position (most of the time), so that's hard to really judge.   Lewis was a 2x NFL Defensive Player of the Year.  Leonard has not done that yet.  I don't doubt that he's capable of it, but he hasn't.  Lewis was a 2x Superbowl Champion and a 1x SB MVP, both things which Leonard hasn't accomplished.  Lewis was a 13x pro-bowler.. like Leonard, he missed out his rookie year.  Lewis is also on the 2000's all-decade team as the best at his position during that decade.   In terms of off-field stuff, Leonard seems to have less baggage than Lewis did at a young age.  That said, Lewis did seem to clean up his act after that alleged murder incident.  He also seems to be a pretty solid guy now and has several charities and does a lot for young minority communities.     In terms of on-field leadership, Lewis was outstanding.  I don't know how long that took, as I don't follow Baltimore as intensely as I do Indy (i.e., was he a captain in his second year and a tremendous leader of men as a rookie? I don't know).  Leonard, was named team captain in his 2nd year, and he was a leader right out of the gates.  From all interviews and things I've read, his coaches and teammates view him as the leader of the Indy D and seemingly have after just a few games as a rookie -- that's rare.   In short, Leonard is off to a heckuva start to his career.... but, let's hold off on comparing him to a first-ballot HOFer.  If he keeps it up for another 8-12 years, this thread deserves to be revisited.  
    • I am not calling Barkley a choker because when he went to  Philly they were not the same team that had won the finale in 1983. When he played for Phoenix they were a 50% team. His last 4 years with Houston he only stated 152 games in four years due to injury. He averaged 22.1 pts and 11.7 rebounds in his career. In the playoffs he averaged 23 pts and 12.9 rebounds.  He was the rebound leader in 1987 at 6'5".  He was the MVP in 1993. He also was the team leader for both Gold Medals in the Olympics in 1992 and 1996.  Sorry IMO those are not choker numbers. 
    • I find it very unlikely a team signs Kelly off our practice squad. If we want to run 3 QBs and keep Kelly on the PS we probably can.
  • Members

    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 20,961

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NFLfan

      NFLfan 8,868

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • HOZER

      HOZER 4,507

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • indyblue

      indyblue 10

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Thunderbolt

      Thunderbolt 289

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...