Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The scary truth of the colts future

boo2202

We just can't seem to get all parts of this team clicking at the same time.  I don't see that really changing in the near future.  The defense seems to be OK even though they give up some really big plays and they struggle a bit against really good QBs.  Now we have to build up the offense.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Nothing scary to me.....things are headed in the right direction in so many ways. 

This appears to me, to be hand wringing of the classic kind. On the way to great things, every step is not always better than the last. 

BTW, is it not ironic that a thread entitled "scary", is started by a poster named "boo"?

Honestly, when I saw the title of this post, I thought it was going to be how scary good we are going to be in a shorter period of time than most people think. 

We may need an upgrade at qb (I'll give JB the rest of the season), but all we are really lacking is a DT.  All the other positions are solid with the potential to be really good.  The defense was already pretty good and now we add Willis, Okereke, Ya-Sin, Houston.  Turay is back next year.  Our oline is still one of the best.  Wr is OK, and that's without funchess and Campbell.  Running game is outstanding.  Maybe te depending on what happens with the FAs. 

Sure we could always improve, but I don't see how we supposedly have all these gaping holes.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Our defense right now is cute. It's good, but not imposing; Not manhandling people. Not dominant. Not taking away the ball nearly enough.

The Colts defense is pretty darn good.   Especially compared to how they have been for the past decade.  They are 13th is yards per game, 13th in yards per play, 13th in forced fumbles, 15th in INT's.  I'll take it.   The D-line needs upgraded though.   

I think this team is ready to compete for a championship now if the QB was upgraded.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

For the Colts to be 6-5 with injuries and losing their Franchise QB, tells me it’s not all doom and gloom. 

Flush with CAP space and draft capital, the future isn’t bad at all. 

Getting healthy, adding a few more playmakers and IMO finding a QB that fits Reich’s scheme will have the Colts contenders in the not to distant future.

You are right, Flush with cap space and draft capital, now they just need to use it!  CB has shown he knows how to find good players, we have the coaches, don't just sit on all of it back next year.

Going to post this in both the "Scary Truth" and "Crumbling" threads... lol

Total O - Bottom 10ish (22nd)

Run O - Top 5 (3rd)

Pas O - Bottom 5 (28th)

OL - Top 5

Total D - Slightly above average median (13th)

Pass D - Average (16th)

Rush D - Top 10 (8th)

DL - Slightly above average

The only thing really scary about this team is the passing game. Everything else is average to elite. The only thing that is crumbling is the fan base's patience and interest. I think waning is a better word than crumbling.

Sure we need upgrades in some non-QB areas, but overall this team is much more solid front to back than in the past. The only gaping hole right now is the passing game. And that can be impacted with a good pick or two.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Before I get into this let me say I’m a big fan of Ballard and Reich, none of this will be bashing what they’ve done. It’s more what other organizations have done. 

Looking at at our roster, it’s voided of players that can make plays at critical positions. 

QB-WR-TE-DE-DT-CB?

Thats a lot of areas that truly need improvement of this team, that will take multiple offseason’s to Acquire and develop. We lack talent that can take over a game or can stop another team from taking over a game. 

Now here’s the scary truth. We lost our main difference maker at the start of the year with luck retiring. He was the one guy that gave us a chance every game. Watching these young QBs (Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, etc) makes we wonder how you expect to contend with these teams the next few years with the decencies this team has. We’re missing key areas on how to keep up with these teams and positions to stop them. 

The last couple of games have really got me to pull my blue color shades off and realize just how much #12 meant to this team on both sides of the ball. He meant a lot to the coaching staff to as they actually trusted him. It may take a few years but there will be better days ahead for sure, just going take a little longer than we want to admit.

I agree we are week at some of those positions. I think we have talent at cornerback Desir is good, he didn't play bad. Hopkins is the best reciever in the game hands down. Those were well thrown balls. I also think the other corners are good and getting better. Its more of scheme problems and miscommunication, plus lack of pressure to help them. 

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Andrew never beat NE in their 5 matchups. Why would that change with this team? Or are you saying the roster isn't as bad as originally thought? 

Because Andrew turned the ball plentiful and the defense couldn't muster up a stop in those games. Recipes for blowouts against the Patriots.

This team can run the ball, move the sticks and shorten the game up. They can also make stops. This team's makeup won't allow for blowouts. Which gives us a fighting chance in pretty much every game.  

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Andrew never beat NE in their 5 matchups. Why would that change with this team? Or are you saying the roster isn't as bad as originally thought? 

I definitely think this team minus the QB is in a much better position to beat NE. 

In the Luck years, we had poor Ds, questionable OLs going against their DLs, shotty overall roster, and Brady was prime Brady.

• Like 1

Valid points. I just see us being in the Quarterback market after next year. In all serious I’m not sure if upgrading the wr and te position will help the passing game due to our QB’s play. So when your in the market for a new QB your usually a few years away from seriously competing for a super bowl. 

8 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

Valid points. I just see us being in the Quarterback market after next year. In all serious I’m not sure if upgrading the wr and te position will help the passing game due to our QB’s play. So when your in the market for a new QB your usually a few years away from seriously competing for a super bowl. 

Colts first team to win superbowl  with a rookie  qb next year

Hey all. I just have to say, I’m ecstatic with this season. After the Luck bombshell, I really thought we would be bottom dwellers. Man, we are sooooo close to making the playoffs. Thats crazy man!  I enjoy every game. Ya never know, cause ANY given Sunday. Peace. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Before I get into this let me say I’m a big fan of Ballard and Reich, none of this will be bashing what they’ve done. It’s more what other organizations have done. 

Looking at at our roster, it’s voided of players that can make plays at critical positions. 

QB-WR-TE-DE-DT-CB?

Thats a lot of areas that truly need improvement of this team, that will take multiple offseason’s to Acquire and develop. We lack talent that can take over a game or can stop another team from taking over a game. 

Now here’s the scary truth. We lost our main difference maker at the start of the year with luck retiring. He was the one guy that gave us a chance every game. Watching these young QBs (Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, etc) makes we wonder how you expect to contend with these teams the next few years with the decencies this team has. We’re missing key areas on how to keep up with these teams and positions to stop them. 

The last couple of games have really got me to pull my blue color shades off and realize just how much #12 meant to this team on both sides of the ball. He meant a lot to the coaching staff to as they actually trusted him. It may take a few years but there will be better days ahead for sure, just going take a little longer than we want to admit.

Heres the antidote:

We’re young, with good depth and our cap is in WONDERFUL shape.  We also have that #2 at the top of the 2nd as a bonus.  We have lots of options.

I believe we have some playmakers that will just get better as they gain experience.

The Luck thing really affected this team. I think we’d be averaging another td/game.

Under the corcumstances... Luck, WR injuries/average play, etc.... i think we’ve done well to get to 6-5.

I like the team overall, we ate just used to Seeing the QB position cranking it up when needed.  We’ve been spoiled.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

In those two positions we are ok.  If the QB didn't retire,   the team would be playoff bound

The thread made me think of the few years when we had Reggie, Mathis, and Vontae on the same team.  Those were three players that were generally able to beat the opponents best players one on one.  At least Reggie could beat the other team's best corner (with TY benefiting), Mathis the team's best OT, and VD shut down the team's best WR.  The rest of the roster needed upgrading,  but the rest of the roster isn't very impactful individually.  You don't need a great roster everywhere.  You need it where it matters most.

We don't have players who can do that, and we need some no matter who is playing QB, IMO. 

Our best players are a G, a FS (supposedly), and a WILL.  Positions where they are not matched up against an opponent one on one very much.  

Without impact guys at impact positions, I see perpetual 11-5 or 10-6 with maybe winning one playoff game, which is what we've had.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The thread made me think of the few years when we had Reggie, Mathis, and Vontae on the same team.  Those were three players that were generally able to beat the opponents best players one on one.  At least Reggie could beat the other team's best corner (with TY benefiting), Mathis the team's best OT, and VD shut down the team's best WR.  The rest of the roster needed upgrading,  but the rest of the roster isn't very impactful individually.  You don't need a great roster everywhere.  You need it where it matters most.

We don't have players who can do that, and we need some no matter who is playing QB, IMO. 

Our best players are a G, a FS (supposedly), and a WILL.  Positions where they are not matched up against an opponent one on one very much.  

Without impact guys at impact positions, I see perpetual 11-5 or 10-6 with maybe winning one playoff game, which is what we've had.

I disagree with your 3 examples. Remember that people used to say Reggie and Mathis were so good because of Harrison and Freeny getting so much attention and vontae wasn’t good for long. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Because Andrew turned the ball plentiful and the defense couldn't muster up a stop in those games. Recipes for blowouts against the Patriots.

This team can run the ball, move the sticks and shorten the game up. They can also make stops. This team's makeup won't allow for blowouts. Which gives us a fighting chance in pretty much every game.  

The main point though is that he never showed he could win vs the pats. 

20 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Our FS just lost us the game against Houston!!

I don't think he did.  I don't think he had responsibility on all of them.  It happens.  He should still get better. 

But for the future, I hope that he isn't one of our three best players.

We are better than a 6-5 record. Some tough losses with missed FG and XP. Biggest disappointment has been decline in passing game. Most of that is due to lack of playmakers at WR and some tough injuries (Campbell, Funchess). It is hard to evaluate JB since he has not had the complement of wideouts that could stretch a defense. I believe we would have a better passing game if he had better receivers who can separate from defenders. It appears that we have almost no vertical passing game right now. Not sure I can pin that on JB. He is not Andrew Luck but then again no one else is either.

I would not be upset if Colts drafted a QB high up who they can groom as potential replacement for Brissett. Perhaps a 2nd round pick for a QB is in order unless a solid QB is available in 1st round.

I like our running game - best we have had since James/Rhodes era. We definitely need a kicker and I would love to have someone who can field punts and gain some yard  vs. mainly fair catching kicks. 

this team needs an upgrade at TE. Doyle is fine. Ebron is probably out after this season. We could use a TE who can be another receiving target downfield.  OL is good - probably need to find upgrade at RT and slot Smith over at Guard.

On defense  - I like what we have done at LB, CB and Safety. DL is good but not great. Would love to get a playmaker on the line who can dominate and put fear in the eyes of a QB. We are not far off from having a dominant defense. Right now it is good but not great. 

CB needs another solid draft and hopefully he can score with a few FA signings to upgrade areas on offense and defense.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I disagree with your 3 examples. Remember that people used to say Reggie and Mathis were so good because of Harrison and Freeny getting so much attention and vontae wasn’t good for long. 

During the years I'm talking about, the pre-injured Luck years; Marvin was gone, Freeney was either gone or not used very much, and VD was pretty much a shut down corner.

It struck me as having players where the opposing coaches had to scheme to counter.  As it stands today, we have the opposite. 

We have a better overall roster, but there isn't a receiver the coaches don't have to scheme open, a pass rusher they don't have to scheme a numbers advantage for,  and even though we play a different coverage D than we did with VD,  I wouldn't trust any of our corners with covering the other teams best receiver and have much success at all.  Our best defender, our WILL, is expected to tackle the player AFTER they get the ball, more or less, which is not as impactful as a defender who gets sacks or pressures or negates the completion in the first place.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think he did.  I don't think he had responsibility on all of them.  It happens.  He should still get better. 

But for the future, I hope that he isn't one of our three best players.

On the deep throw for a TD he was reasonable IMO. I still think hes a good player but that one was on him! All of the blame for the loss is not on him, but that play hurt!! Especially in a tight ball game. Future I hope hes really good, but your top 3 players on a team hopefully would be your QB, a RB or WR & a pass rush guy ideally. 

27 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

On the deep throw for a TD he was reasonable IMO. I still think hes a good player but that one was on him! All of the blame for the loss is not on him, but that play hurt!! Especially in a tight ball game. Future I hope hes really good, but your top 3 players on a team hopefully would be your QB, a RB or WR & a pass rush guy ideally. 

Yeah, when you have Luck, its easy to make the QB your best player.  If you have Matthew Stafford, he probably shouldn't be the best but should be in the top 5, possibly need him to be in the top 10.

As for our future, we have two important positions filled with very good players right now, LT and #1 WR.  The problem is that they are the same players we had at those positions 7 years ago, so how long will they be what we need?  We're going to have to use some high picks fairly soon just to maintain what we have there, which won't help us add talent in other places.

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, when you have Luck, its easy to make the QB your best player.  If you have Matthew Stafford, he probably shouldn't be the best but should be in the top 5, possibly need him to be in the top 10.

As for our future, we have two important positions filled with very good players right now, LT and #1 WR.  The problem is that they are the same players we had at those positions 7 years ago, so how long will they be what we need?  We're going to have to use some high picks fairly soon just to maintain what we have there, which won't help us add talent in other places.

Agreed

7 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

Imo we aren't that far off. We have a stellar oline and we do have playmakers on both sides of the ball.  We just need an upgrade at QB,  WR, CB and DT. Luck really took a dump on this team when he left last minute.  Honestly I think Ebron bailed because he came to the Colts to play with Luck...not Brissett. A cruddy attitude I know but you can tell Reich and company were taken by surprise with him choosing to go on IR. Honestly I only see the Colts winning maybe 2 of the next 5 games so maybe we can snag one of the top QBs coming out of the draft. I know Ballard has been keeping an eye on Jordan Love.....

I been checking loves highlights and I really like what I see, he has slid down the boards because of a so so year etc but he just may be a sleeper of the draft and work in our favor

6 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Did I slip into a coma and miss a couple of years? 

We've been in the middle of a rebuild for 2 years now, with a couple more years to go.

Luck retiring may have pushed us back a year.

We were never going to be contenders with or without Luck

This...…..it was never supposed to be a championship season. Ballard had to completely turn over this roster. Then his franchise QB decides to retire. Then constant injuries.

The rebuild started with the bigs & LB, and this year will probably focus more on the skill positions. It's going to take more time. Now he might have to use one of their picks on a QB as well.

With that said, if Hilton, Campbell, Funches, Mack and a few others could ever stay healthy, this team would look a lot different.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Now here’s the scary truth. We lost our main difference maker at the start of the year with luck retiring. He was the one guy that gave us a chance every game.

Wait, did it take you until week 13 of the season to realize this? You’re  right, that is scary.

7 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Did I slip into a coma and miss a couple of years? 

We've been in the middle of a rebuild for 2 years now, with a couple more years to go.

Luck retiring may have pushed us back a year.

We were never going to be contenders with or without Luck

Disagree ... with Luck we were contenders.  Maybe not the favorites, but definitely legitimately in the mix.

• Like 4

The truth is the Colts are very very good. Look how bad the ravens muddled through the past 6-7 years with a qb who had mediocre stats, a coach who was on the "hot seat", they lose their 2 best defensive players to free agency(Mosely went to the jest, Smith went to the Packers), they trade their "average" qb to Denver, insert a qb who never came close to winning a national title in college and presto-changeo they are dominant in one season. I'd say we are not that far away people, stranger things have happened. And our oline is light years ahead of the Ravens oline. This is a very solid team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

The truth is the Colts are very very good. Look how bad the ravens muddled through the past 6-7 years with a qb who had mediocre stats, a coach who was on the "hot seat", they lose their 2 best defensive players to free agency(Mosely went to the jest, Smith went to the Packers), they trade their "average" qb to Denver, insert a qb who never came close to winning a national title in college and presto-changeo they are dominant in one season. I'd say we are not that far away people, stranger things have happened. And our oline is light years ahead of the Ravens oline. This is a very solid team.

We would be a major threat with a QB that isn't terrible.

5 hours ago, Maniac said:

And better luck with health.

Injuries are not a valid excuse next man up.

17 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

We would be a major threat with a QB that isn't terrible.

Injuries are not a valid excuse next man up.

Injuries ARE a valid excuse. 

The past history of the NFL proves it. 

What was the history of the Colts with Manning and without Manning?