Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The scary truth of the colts future

boo2202

My biggest fear is that we start next season with Brissett.   I think we have seen what he brings.  It's not all bad, but it is not exciting football to watch and it tends to lead to close games that will ultimately end with a 50/50 shot at winning.  What bugs me most is that I think the defense is good now and with an addition or 2 in the offseason, should be better next year.  The team is ready to win now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

My biggest fear is that we start next season with Brissett.   I think we have seen what he brings.  It's not all bad, but it is not exciting football to watch and it tends to lead to close games that will ultimately end with a 50/50 shot at winning.  What bugs me most is that I think the defense is good now and with an addition or 2 in the offseason, should be better next year.  The team is ready to win now.  

with a better signal caller, everyone will be better including the defense.

• Like 2

I have read that some folks believe that the Colts are no different with or with out Luck. 

The fact that Luck was 0-5 against the Patriots. Believe Me the Colts were a lot better with him than without. He never had an O- line or a running game like they have now. The O -line during his last season was the best he saw here. If he was here, a lot of the weaknesses would not show up. No team is complete with all the playmaking positions. You throw in injuries and most teams suffer some drop off. If the Colts had a qb with out training wheels or had better abilities moving the ball down field, couple this with this running game, the young defense they have would be good enough to beat most teams on any given sunday.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2019 at 9:37 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

Its actually Called realistic.

Fickle Colt fans from one week to the next. 

For 20 years we had elite QB play that only brought one super bowl. 

Now we have a very good running game and a pretty good defense when healthy but it's all still doom and gloom. 

Our special teams is also pretty good but no one wants to bring anything positive into the picture.

Brissett is not Manning or Luck but he don't have to be to win games. 

The main negative issue on this team is the lack of receivers, not an issue of being scared of this team falling apart. 

Certainly nothing to be scared about.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now we have a very good running game and a pretty good defense when healthy but it's all still doom and gloom. 

Our special teams is also pretty good but no one wants to bring anything positive into the picture.

The main negative issue on this team is the lack of receivers, not an issue of being scared of this team falling apart. 

He is terrible. Not the answer.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So when somebody isn't optimistic and are being to a n extent realistic then they are a Doom and Gloom fan that is ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

So when somebody isn't optimistic and are being to a n extent realistic then they are a Doom and Gloom fan that is ridiculous.

This team is very young and inexperienced. Injuries do play a big part in the final results. 

Sorry you are so negative and can't see any positive. Thus the doom and gloom coming out in you.

This is the NFL and both of us have been around long enough that things don't go as your high expectations deem them. 

When you dwell on nothing but negatives you are in for a huge letdown. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 8:37 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

When Peyton went down and our team got the first pick in the draft....that team was awful. That is being realistic. This team is not awful.  It’s good.  It’s overcoming adversity and setbacks.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

When Peyton went down and our team got the first pick in the draft....that team was awful. That is being realistic. This team is not awful.  It’s good.  It’s overcoming adversity and setbacks.  

I agree.

Too many are not remembering we are very young and inexperienced. 

We had two pro bowl players that were rookies. They will make the players around them better with time. 

There are 29 players out of the 53 man roster that have 3 years or less with 20 of them with 2 years or less. 

Expecting unrealistic things out of this team is not understanding what it takes to put a successful NFL team together. 

On 11/26/2019 at 9:38 AM, boo2202 said:

Before I get into this let me say I’m a big fan of Ballard and Reich, none of this will be bashing what they’ve done. It’s more what other organizations have done. 

Looking at at our roster, it’s voided of players that can make plays at critical positions. 

QB-WR-TE-DE-DT-CB?

Thats a lot of areas that truly need improvement of this team, that will take multiple offseason’s to Acquire and develop. We lack talent that can take over a game or can stop another team from taking over a game. 

Now here’s the scary truth. We lost our main difference maker at the start of the year with luck retiring. He was the one guy that gave us a chance every game. Watching these young QBs (Jackson, Mahomes, Watson, etc) makes we wonder how you expect to contend with these teams the next few years with the decencies this team has. We’re missing key areas on how to keep up with these teams and positions to stop them. 

The last couple of games have really got me to pull my blue color shades off and realize just how much #12 meant to this team on both sides of the ball. He meant a lot to the coaching staff to as they actually trusted him. It may take a few years but there will be better days ahead for sure, just going take a little longer than we want to admit.

Why is this scary?

Is Jason Voorhees gonna kill me if the Colts don’t do well?

We’ll figure it out, it will all be ok. Why does everyone here panic like the world is ending when we lose one game and some guys go out? At the end of the day, it’s football, not geopolitical trade wars.

If you really think we’re that screwed, I implore you to go take in a Jets or Bengals game. They are way farther up $hit creek than the Colts are

Although yes you’re right, Luck meant a lot more to this team than most people realize

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Although yes you’re right, Luck meant a lot more to this team than most people realize

I think that is at the root of many of these little debates going on here.

Everybody was free to say that Luck carried the roster during the Grigson years, but can't quite come to grips with the idea that he also did it during the Ballard years.   There is this belief that we have a clearly better roster by a significant margin, even though there is really no way to tell at this point.  Its certainly better along the online, to the extent that it matters.

JB is becoming the new whipping boy blame guy.  Its his lack of talent that's causing the subpar performance from what we expect, not lack of great talent outside of the oline that's also contributing to it.

On 11/26/2019 at 12:10 PM, MPStack said:

For the Colts to be 6-5 with injuries and losing their Franchise QB, tells me it’s not all doom and gloom. 

Flush with CAP space and draft capital, the future isn’t bad at all. 

Getting healthy, adding a few more playmakers and IMO finding a QB that fits Reich’s scheme will have the Colts contenders in the not to distant future.

well, if it wasn't for 2 bad kicking games we could be 8/3 right now. That's not the qb's fault. and take back the bad home lose against Miami  we could be 9/2 now. But we are not.  

58 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

Why is this scary?

Is Jason Voorhees gonna kill me if the Colts don’t do well?

We’ll figure it out, it will all be ok. Why does everyone here panic like the world is ending when we lose one game and some guys go out? At the end of the day, it’s football, not geopolitical trade wars.

If you really think we’re that screwed, I implore you to go take in a Jets or Bengals game. They are way farther up $hit creek than the Colts are

The Jets aren't in bad shape. Darnold is looking like a possible franchise QB, and they have a new GM in Joe Douglas that's probably an improvement over McCagnan to rebuild the team. They'll also have a high draft pick again, and they got Rex Hogan from the Colts as the new assistant GM. They are almost on our level. The Bengals are winless and a pretty low bar as an example.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:37 AM, jameszeigler834 said:

So tell me, what is better...being realistic?...or enjoying the ride? Cuz no matter how determined or how realistic fans are, the team will do what the team is going to do. The only effect of being realistic, is the effect on your own experience.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

So tell me, what is better...being realistic?...or enjoying the ride? Cuz no matter how determined or how realistic fans are, the team will do what the team is going to do. The only effect of being realistic, is the effect on your own experience.

Being realistic. Im Blunt I don't sugarcoat anything.

Im not scared about the future, past this season, at all. This season could very well go into the dumpster, but with everything that has gone on this season, this team is still pretty good and the weak parts of it can and will be addressed. I have to constantly remind myself that we were building this thing with AL as the centerpiece. We all knew we had a decent guy as back up for if/when he would be out with injury. Shoot many wanted to think we could get a 1st in a trade for JB. Unfortunately, I believe he has left just too much on the table, missed too many opportunities. He doesnt maximize our offensive potential. Our offensive front and defense are rock solid, can carry us into the future.

I’ll just be mad if Ballard doesn’t spend on free agency this year again. We need to go get them. Even if over paying is what we have to do. I know we will spend on our own players to use some of that cap up but I’m hoping we actually go out and get a difference maker this year. We truly need one!

On the contrary...I don't the find the future scary...it will be fun to watch the next era of Colts football unfold. Drafting a rookie QB and watching him develop, along with young talent around, will be exciting at the very least.

My only real fear about the future would be committing big money to the current QB...unless we see some big time improvements. Right now, I don't find that future to be nearly as run and exciting.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:38 PM, pgt_rob said:

Good thing the Colts have an abundance of cash to spend this coming off season. Ballard may want to think about trading some draft picks to possibly move up in the draft to pick a QB. I know that's usually not his motto, but he may have to trade up this time around.

Yep.  Maybe we should take Hurts and change to a Baltimore-style O with this offensive line.

On 11/26/2019 at 1:32 PM, coltsva said:

I see the team entirely different.

Safety - solid with young depth

CB - solid with young depth

LB - solid with young depth

DE - solid (but aging) with young depth, could use a young "Sheard like" player.

DT - need upgrade and depth

OLine - strong with some depth (Haeg & Andrews). Upgrade RG, or sign/draft RT and slide Smith over to RG. Glowinski as depth is fine.

TE - could use an upgrade.

WR - This is a tough one. Our #1,#2,#3 have missed a ton of games. Add in Fountain, and 4 of our projected 6 WR's have either missed all, most, or a good part of the season.

RB's - we are solid with depth

QB - After 11 weeks, my opinion is JB is not the long term answer, but I'm not qualified to make that statement definitively.  However,  I am sure that Ballard and Reich already know this answer.

P - Good enough

K - need upgrade

I was fine with Hedges at TE. He could block and caught everything thrown to him. Where is he now?

Thinking about the team I wanted to have when Frank Reich was hired, I thought it would be best to move away from the Luck/Manning-centric team to a more balanced team that has talent throughout positions.

Looking at the Eagles 2017 roster, it had Wentz at QB through the first part of the season, then Foles during the last part, who had a QBR of 34.9 for the season.  The team had:

Alshon Jeffery WR

Torry Smith WR

Nelson Agelhor WR

Zach Ertz TE

Sproles, Playmaker from near the LOS

LeGarret Blount, Power RB

Correy Clement RB.

Unlike our Luck and Manning years, Foles' longest pass play was for 35 yards.  Don't know if that was down the field or the result of someone like Sproles running for 38 yards on a screen pass that started 3 yards behind the LOS.

Defensively, they had DT Fletcher Cox as probably their best defensive player.  A DT.

I think we are sorely lacking in having the types of players at similar positions than the Eagles had. 

Perhaps we can have a different make-up and different ways of winning games than they did. 

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The Jets aren't in bad shape. Darnold is looking like a possible franchise QB, and they have a new GM in Joe Douglas that's probably an improvement over McCagnan to rebuild the team. They'll also have a high draft pick again, and they got Rex Hogan from the Colts as the new assistant GM. They are almost on our level. The Bengals are winless and a pretty low bar as an example.

I’m not using the Bengals as a comparative in that sense. I’m saying, look at the Bengals, it could be a heck of a lot worse. I think we around here don’t appreciate that we are a 6-5 team. No, we’re not 7-4, or 11-0, but we’re doing better than many other teams.

And if it’s that important, then replace “Jets” with “Redskins”

14 minutes ago, LuckyHorseShoe§ said:

I’m not using the Bengals as a comparative in that sense. I’m saying, look at the Bengals, it could be a heck of a lot worse. I think we around here don’t appreciate that we are a 6-5 team. No, we’re not 7-4, or 11-0, but we’re doing better than many other teams.

And if it’s that important, then replace “Jets” with “Redskins”

I realize that, but saying we could be the Bengals is like our parents saying we could of been born blind. Really a bottom of the barrel, unlucky thing that almost happens to nobody. We'd have the same chance at the born rich comparision (or Patriots).  Do agree on the Redskins though.

Sorry, but after losing Luck, there's little to be apprecitive about Colts-wise besides Ballard, and the next few years will be pretty tough as fans until we get a new QB. I was ready to start contending for Super Bowls, so mediocrity doesn't appeal to me right now.

Would almost rather lose out right now for draft position.

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I realize that, but saying we could be the Bengals is like our parents saying we could of been born blind. Really a bottom of the barrel, unlucky thing that almost happens to nobody. We'd have the same chance at the born rich comparision (or Patriots).  Do agree on the Redskins though.

Sorry, but after losing Luck, there's little to be apprecitive about Colts-wise besides Ballard, and the next few years will be pretty tough as fans until we get a new QB. I was ready to start contending for Super Bowls, so mediocrity doesn't appeal to me right now.

Would almost rather lose out right now for draft position.

If might take a few years but maybe not. Chiefs and ravens are competing  with QB that have very few starts. Build a great team and you won’t have nearly the growing pains with a young QB if they draft the right guy.  Even if Jacoby starts next year with a rookie sitting in the bench we still won’t be out of it. Especially if we give him a few more weapons and this defense gets that much better.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

If might take a few years but maybe not. Chiefs and ravens are competing  with QB that have very few starts. Build a great team and you won’t have nearly the growing pains with a young QB if they draft the right guy.  Even if Jacoby starts next year with a rookie sitting in the bench we still won’t be out of it. Especially if we give him a few more weapons and this defense gets that much better.

My two hopes right now are 1.) Ballard drafts Jordan Love to compete with Brissett since he has interest, and 2.) Our WR's are healthy next year. Both would give this offense a shot in the arm and give us some hope for the future. Also hoping we spend in FA a bit and have another solid draft.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My two hopes right now are 1.) Ballard drafts Jordan Love to compete with Brissett since he has interest, and 2.) Our WR's are healthy next year. Both would give this offense a shot in the arm and give us some hope for the future. Also hoping we spend in FA a bit and have another solid draft.

As much complaining that this board does about JB all he has to do is hit a couple chunk plays a game and we are winning pretty easily with this run game and defense. Just a couple more reliable weapons and health could do that. As bad as he played and the few big plays the defense gave up we had the lead with 12 minutes with the chance to take a double digit lead. In the jags game he hit a couple passing plays when needed. That’s all we need. I expect ballard to draft a QB for the future. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

As much complaining that this board does about JB all he has to do is hit a couple chunk plays a game and we are winning pretty easily with this run game and defense. Just a couple more reliable weapons and health could do that. As bad as he played and the few big plays the defense gave up we had the lead with 12 minutes with the chance to take a double digit lead. In the jags game he hit a couple passing plays when needed. That’s all we need. I expect ballard to draft a QB for the future. 

I still believe we are running the ball heavily to cover up Brissett's deficiencies. I do agree though, with average QB play, we can win some games. I'm willing to give Brissett the rest of the year, but if he continues to regress, then we need to draft some competition for him.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I still believe we are running the ball heavily to cover up Brissett's deficiencies. I do agree though, with average QB play, we can win some games. I'm willing to give Brissett the rest of the year, but if he continues to regress, then we need to draft some competition for him.

I don’t think you have to worry about drafting a QB. If the guy they want is there they will take him.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 10:41 AM, holeymoley99 said:

Justin Houston has made a ton of plays at DE, he has been a  great signing. Grover Stewart is taking a big step forward at DT this season as well. Not sure we lack WR talent yet because we havent seen T.Y., Funchess and Campbell all 100% and playing together. We should in the next 2 weeks or so.

We have Campbell for the future and he is very raw.  Funchess, based on history, is average. I fear that TY is on the way out. Over 30 and the injuries r mounting.  They have to be taking a toll and the wheels will most likely fall off soon