Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week by week luck/brissett comp

Trace Pyott

Some won’t like this thread believing that we must move on but I like to see how jacoby Compares to luck so we can truly gauge where this franchise is heading and where it’s been, and how good luck actually was. I don’t have a lot of time so It might be ugly and I’m prob going to miss a few things but here it goes and I hope either I or someone else keeps this updated. 

2018 luck

week 1 39-53 att, 74% 319 yards 2 td 1 int 93.2 rating 

2.  21-31 att, 68% 179 yards 2td 2int 77.2 rating

3 25- 40 att, 62% 164 yards 1td 0 int 79.6 rating

brissett 2019

Week 1. 21-27 att 78% 190 yards 2td 0 int 121 rating 

week 2. 17-28 60% 146 yards 3td 1 int 95 rating 

week 3. 28-37 76% 310 yards 2td 0 int 118 rating. 

At this point luck had 5 td and 4 int where jacoby has 7td 1 int. I would def say so far and I stress SO FAR we look to be in very good hands if he can sustain this and the crazy thing is I think he will get better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Luck was missing Ac and nelson wasnt playing like an all pro his first few games either.  also not a big fan of rating, it rewards efficiency but not necessarily making plays and it treats all TDs and interceptions the same, regardless of what the QB actually did

that was JBs best game by far though, so kudos to him for that

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Luck was missing Ac and nelson wasnt playing like an all pro his first few games either.  also not a big fan of rating, it rewards efficiency but not necessarily making plays and it treats all TDs and interceptions the same, regardless of what the QB actually did

I agree.   The QB rating is an OK indicator, but it is flawed.   

It is almost amusing that a QB can get a perfect passer rating even though he has a few in-completions.   How can it be perfect if it can be better?

I love Brissett, and I am not one bit surprised by what he has done so far.

But you are really comparing apples and oranges.

The O-line was bad at the beginning of last year, really bad.

Now it's great.

Not to nit-pick, but just before Vinitieri made it 13-0, Brissett missed a wide open Hilton when he threw it away.... Go look. He should have had 3 TD's!

• Like 3

In the nicest way, it's a bit of a pointless comparison. Too much variance between the two situations to do a week by week comparison. You could look overall at the end of the year for a better comparison but again different roster, different schedule and just the whole madness that is Luck retiring when he did. 

I'd argue too that there are some better metrics to use. Go on PFR and look at stuff like adjusted net yards per attempt, TD%, INT% etc. Volume stats aren't really all that useful in a vacuum. 

• Thanks 2

Yah I know you can’t compare them one to one exactly but I think a lot of people either overated luck based on potential or under rate brissett because he wasn’t some stud prospect.  I hope as the season goes on we can bump this thread and update it so we can see how brissett compares to luck.  Obviously I would rather have luck but I don’t think he’s head and shoulders above brissett either. I can’t wait to see how the season plays out either way. 

Luck with his higher ceiling probably could get away with INTs, just like Peyton. Brissett, because of a lower ceiling, plays within his limitations without taking too many chances and thus keeps us in games, and if the support comes through in the form of the running game, D and ST, his efficiency will be magnified. If the D comes out flat like the first 2 drives for the Falcons in the second half, Brissett can only shoulder so much, IMO.

That is why, we will be an underrated team even if we continue building our D and OL but we will win more games if we play more complete games in all 3 phases. Ballard will put his money where his mouth is, on building a complete team that is not dependent on the QB, no matter who it is and it will become more important with Brissett.

25 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

Yah I know you can’t compare them one to one exactly but I think a lot of people either overated luck based on potential or under rate brissett because he wasn’t some stud prospect.  I hope as the season goes on we can bump this thread and update it so we can see how brissett compares to luck.  Obviously I would rather have luck but I don’t think he’s head and shoulders above brissett either. I can’t wait to see how the season plays out either way. 

Look, i respect what you’re trying to do and i agree with the sentiment. But we as fans need to give Brissett the chance to be his own self. Luck was always compared to Manning and that drove me nuts. Both were dang good QBs and guys. Brissett will probably always be compared to Luck, which given the multitudes of differences just in team make up and the roster, will be unfair to both.

that said, I think the biggest thing you’re going to see between the two is that Brissett will have fewer “Superman” style plays but his INT ratio is going to remain rather low. He seems to know to throw it away versus forcing bad throws.  

Brissett was being commended (in game 3) with throwing spot on, to the proper shoulder, telling his pass catchers which way they needed to break after the catch.
  Hahaha!  He was Throwing BBZ.

Our last QB never learned to do it. P.T. Harbaugh, what a salesman.
  This is so much fun to watch. Reich & Siriani had some kool plays yesterday.
 And they will continue to build the offense, add wrinkles week to week.  

• Like 1

I think most will naturally compare, so I don't think there is a problem discussing it.  

Brissett is surprising me with his command of the field, decision making, and accuracy.  He is actually doing something Luck didn't do very well, which is to accurately place the ball in the receiver's space, not just put it anywhere within catch range.   To that extent, he is better suited to this offense than Luck is.  Luck is more suited to Arians style.  That's a generalization, but because of it, I don't miss Luck.

I thought we would be wanting to look for a new Qb come this spring, but I think I'm going to be wrong about that.

Luck's stats will be inflated relative to Jacoby's because he threw the ball downfield more, IMO.  If Jacoby can throw a few more chunk TDs, he'll be better overall statistically when factoring in completion percentage and turnovers along with yards and TDs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

That's a fact, Jack.  He got the yards and the wins, and I guess that's what matters, but he seemed to only be able to play one way, and the NFL is moving away from that because that is the way QBs get hurt.

I like the way JB plays.  If he can hone his craft with experience, we'll be in a better place, IMO.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

that was JBs best game by far though, so kudos to him for that

This.  Luck took a few weeks to get into a groove because of coming back from injury.

Also totally agree on passer rating.  The formula used counts both yards per attempt and completion percentage in it.  So it effectively gives double points to completion percentage.

A QB who goes 40 for 40 for 100 yards is given the same passer rating as one who goes 20 for 40 for 325 yards.  

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think most will naturally compare, so I don't think there is a problem discussing it.  

Brissett is surprising me with his command of the field, decision making, and accuracy.  He is actually doing something Luck didn't do very well, which is to accurately place the ball in the receiver's space, not just put it anywhere within catch range.   To that extent, he is better suited to this offense than Luck is.  Luck is more suited to Arians style.  That's a generalization, but because of it, I don't miss Luck.

I thought we would be wanting to look for a new Qb come this spring, but I think I'm going to be wrong about that.

Luck's stats will be inflated relative to Jacoby's because he threw the ball downfield more, IMO.  If Jacoby can throw a few more chunk TDs, he'll be better overall statistically when factoring in completion percentage and turnovers along with yards and TDs. 

Discuss yes, but the premise of the comparison in the OP is flawed. 

I tend to agree it's not about the gaudy volume numbers as much now, but about efficient offense. 

To your point about ball placement, IMO his only pick came on making a bad decision, and then compounding that by not not putting the ball in a place only TY was going to make an (unlikely) catch. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Discuss yes, but the premise of the comparison in the OP is flawed. 

I tend to agree it's not about the gaudy volume numbers as much now, but about efficient offense. 

To your point about ball placement, IMO his only pick came on making a bad decision, and then compounding that by not not putting the ball in a place only TY was going to make an (unlikely) catch. 

I agree with that.  Week to week is probably not going to be comparable, unless a lot of adjustments are made.

The one chunk pass he had to TY down the sideline was probably supposed to be a back shoulder catch.  But even that was under thrown and the catch was completed by TY making a great play on the ball.  And I think another was pretty high and hard to Ebron, who made a very good catch to save it.

JB's better than Luck in this offense so far, IMO, but I don't know if his intermediate or long ball accuracy is as good at this point.  That may be an issue down the road.

4 hours ago, jemack said:

I can understand using Manning as a yard stick. But I just didn't witness that kind of (consistant) greatness from Luck where he should be used in a comparison.

Man Luck was pretty great.  He threw bad INTs on occassion.  But he covered up a lot of ugly.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There are a lot of callers on the radio saying they think the team is better with Brissett because the players connect with him more then they did with luck.

That's silly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

It sounds silly but I see where they are coming from. Luck struck me as a guy who didn’t really hang out with the other players much off the field. 

It's silly.  It has nothing to do with it.  You think Brady is out clubbing with his young talent or something?  Are those guys coming over to his kids Chucky Cheese Birthday parties?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It's silly.  It has nothing to do with it.  You think Brady is out clubbing with his young talent or something?  Are those guys coming over to his kids Chucky Cheese Birthday parties?  

Bad analogy.  Brady is fairly well known for opening his home for his teammates

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

I don't ever  recall hearing anything negative about Lucks leadership.  He seemed to take some pretty untalented teams quite far before the injuries, and then they had  apretty good 3 months last year.

I think his leadership seemed to be more with his play on the field then a vocal charismatic leader. Brissett seems to be so easy to root for. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Man Luck was pretty great.  He threw bad INTs on occassion.  But he covered up a lot of ugly.

He also fumbled in 50% of his games. And had more BBs at the line than any Qb that I ever seen. And besides, I wrote (constant) greatness. If you feel he showed that, so be it. Cheers

9 hours ago, egg said:

I love Brissett, and I am not one bit surprised by what he has done so far.

But you are really comparing apples and oranges.

The O-line was bad at the beginning of last year, really bad.

Now it's great.

Not to nit-pick, but just before Vinitieri made it 13-0, Brissett missed a wide open Hilton when he threw it away.... Go look. He should have had 3 TD's!

I saw that too...but that defender was closing in FAST.  I think if it's there, in the future, he makes that throw away a TD though.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It sounds silly but I see where they are coming from. Luck struck me as a guy who didn’t really hang out with the other players much off the field. 

As others have already pointed out, you’re off with this assumption. 

You can like Brissett without pulling down Luck you know?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chad72 said:

Luck with his higher ceiling probably could get away with INTs, just like Peyton. Brissett, because of a lower ceiling, plays within his limitations without taking too many chances and thus keeps us in games, and if the support comes through in the form of the running game, D and ST, his efficiency will be magnified. If the D comes out flat like the first 2 drives for the Falcons in the second half, Brissett can only shoulder so much, IMO.

That is why, we will be an underrated team even if we continue building our D and OL but we will win more games if we play more complete games in all 3 phases. Ballard will put his money where his mouth is, on building a complete team that is not dependent on the QB, no matter who it is and it will become more important with Brissett.

So are you calling him a tall Russell Wilson here?

I didn’t mean to start a bash luck/bash brissett debate or a debate on who is better. I more or less meant to show people that brisett in his own way has been better than even I thought. I know the stats I posted aren’t everything but it’s at least a glance at a moment in time. If you just take these three games in comparison than yes it’s not really comparable because luck was coming off injury but I hope to update this as the season goes on just to show how things stacked up. Basically I’m trying to shine light on the inevitable conversation of “what if luck would have stayed?”  It would at least give us some insight and ability to compare the two as the season went on. Also I didn’t do it Because luck is the end all be all best Qb ever......that would be #18:) but I just wanted to put things in a little bit better perspective.   Hope this helps explain the point here and helps knock off some of the pointless arguing and nit picking. 

2 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I didn’t mean to start a bash luck/bash brissett debate or a debate on who is better. I more or less meant to show people that brisett in his own way has been better than even I thought. I know the stats I posted aren’t everything but it’s at least a glance at a moment in time. If you just take these three games in comparison than yes it’s not really comparable because luck was coming off injury but I hope to update this as the season goes on just to show how things stacked up. Basically I’m trying to shine light on the inevitable conversation of “what if luck would have stayed?”  It would at least give us some insight and ability to compare the two as the season went on. Also I didn’t do it Because luck is the end all be all best Qb ever......that would be #18:) but I just wanted to put things in a little bit better perspective.   Hope this helps explain the point here and helps knock off some of the pointless arguing and nit picking. 

Best left unsaid. All this is accomplishing is to put a wedge between Colt fans pitting Brissett against Luck. It serves no useful purpose. Brissett is the Colt QB and the only thing that matters is did he play good enough to help the team win. Andrew is history as a Colt QB and I hope he is very successful in his next pursuit.