Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders release Antonio Brown! (merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

now that is funny.  to be fair though that said the suspension may not even last a full game.  

if its just for a half or something then not really note worthy.  i was defending him, but i admit i'll be laughing if this suspension turns out to be big 

If they try to void his guarantees, this will be a lengthy legal battle. I don't think there's any solid precedent for a team suspension voiding a player's guaranteed money.

As a reference, when the Colts suspended Trent Richardson in the 2014 playoffs, then cut him the following offseason, they tried to recoup his guaranteed money. He filed a grievance, and the two sides settled for a small percentage of the voided money. See links below if you want more details on that.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12476229/trent-richardson-files-grievance-indianapolis-colts

https://www.pnj.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/08/31/richardsons-nfl-career-doubt-cut-raiders/71494340/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-what-happens-if-raiders-try-to-void-antonio-browns-guarantees-in-his-contract/

So if the Raiders really tried to void Brown's contract over a team suspension, you can expect a full court press from the NFLPA and Brown's lawyers. This during extensive CBA negotiations. I think that's a long shot. The rest of the NFL will be imploring the Raiders not to pursue that action.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Twitter says the raiders might look into getting out of their contract with him.

Probably will not happen (or should not happen). Mike Mayock will not last long in the league if he tries to do that. One, it reflects bad on the Raiders and Mayock is not playing with a lot of equity as a first time GM. Don't go Grigson on the Raiders, Mayock.

First time GMs (Grigson in Indy) and coaches (Josh McDaniels at Denver) need to learn to not just be good at their job but also develop good relationships with the guys they are working with, something that was Grigson's downfall. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Probably will not happen (or should not happen). Mike Mayock will not last long in the league if he tries to do that. One, it reflects bad on the Raiders and Mayock is not playing with a lot of equity as a first time GM. Don't go Grigson on the Raiders, Mayock.

First time GMs (Grigson in Indy) and coaches (Josh McDaniels at Denver) need to learn to not just be good at their job but also develop good relationships with the guys they are working with, something that was Grigson's downfall. 

I do wonder if Mayock is trying to flex muscles he doesn't have. Especially the voided guarantee part, I just don't see that going well for anyone involved.

But AB is pretty well out of hand, from the outside looking in. 

No character issue here!  Too bad the guy feels like he is above the team.  Great talent - poor character.

So which path will he take - will he get his stuff together and be a team player or continue down the road he is on?

If I was Mayock/Gruden I would be thinking about cutting him now before he poisons this team.  Sometimes its better to cut your loses and move on.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gspdx said:

No character issue here!  Too bad the guy feels like he is above the team.  Great talent - poor character.

So which path will he take - will he get his stuff together and be a team player or continue down the road he is on?

If I was Mayock/Gruden I would be thinking about cutting him now before he poisons this team.  Sometimes its better to cut your loses and move on.

He has a 30 million dead cap hit.   He isn't getting cut

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I've kept wondering if Antonio has some Mental Health stuff going on.

His behavior has just gotten stranger and stranger.  He didn't used to be 

this openly defiant for most of the time he was with Pitt.

Yup. This is reminiscent of Brandon Marshall acting out earlier in his career before his diagnosis. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

Yup. This is reminiscent of Brandon Marshall acting out earlier in his career before his diagnosis. 

The weird thing is that I believe Brandon Marshall had mental health issues the entire time in the NFL.

AB just recently within the last year or 2 started acting out. 

• Like 1

Maybe it was not the helmet that was the issue rather the head it went on. Buckets of money on one premiere team and a second popular team and he is spitting in the faces. As I understand ESPN he and the Raiders GM nearly went to blows. If winning means keeping a clown that does not give a dump about his teammates then it's time to re-think the strategy. This soap opera will drag on forever. The game and fans of all teams don't deserve this. Clean out his locker.

• Like 1

No way Ballard would go after him but this doesn’t surprise me and I don’t fully blame Antonio. AB in Pittsburgh had to deal with Big Ben who seems like a * and Tomlin clearly had no control of his team therefore things built up. 

AB needed a fresh start and where does he end up? Gruden and Mayock!? Of all the teams in the league that was personality wise probably the worst possible fit for him. I think the Colts have some people in key spots that would actually allow him to be a fit in Indy but it’ll never happen. 

• Like 1