Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders release Antonio Brown! (merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

One basic thought said different ways:

I agree with this decision.  It shows that either Gruden or Mayock have the thick skin needed to hold their positions.

So what if Brown pops off to the GM, what's the real harm?  Why punish the whole team and the fans ability to enjoy a winning season just because the GM gets a little butt hurt with words. 

Brown's job is to play football.  To play the WR position very well.  If whatever weird thoughts are going on in Browns weird head start to effect his game play, then yank him.

But for now, he's simply a really weird guy who has multiple chips on his shoulders about every slightest thing and lets off steam in a really weird way.  At least its just words.  Its not anything worse than that.

So let him play.  See what happens.  Let him complain about every little petty thing, develop an image of being a real *, have the whole word think of him as a complete nut.  That's on him. 

As long as this guy with the really weird, petty, arrogant personality who has been basically harmless so far,  plays the WR position well, let him play. 

So let him pop off between games about really stupid stuff, and create a personal image of being a stupid man, if that's what he needs.

Completley disagree.   That's how you lose the locker room.    

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Completley disagree.   That's how you lose the locker room.    

I'm assuming AB has simply been verbally protesting stupid things like a helmet or verbally blowing steam towards management "the boss".  But I haven't followed every move to know if his practice habits have been compromised.

In PITT, he was calling out other players, like Ben, which I think has a more direct impact on the locker room.  

I don't think others would call the GM a cracker, or punt the ball because of a tantrum, so I don't see it has relating much to all of the other players who have a normal personality.  It doesn't send a message to the other players to go ahead and act that way, because most every other player in the locker room wouldn't act that way in the first place.

If there are other reasons he is being fined 215K, Ok.  But if I was the GM, I don't think I would fine him for calling me a word and punting the ball (after turning away from my direction).  I don't think the other players would be impacted because they would also simply see AB as a one-off nut job.

I don't know how to post Tweets here but as per Schefter:

"In addition to fining Antonio Brown $215,073.53 for conduct detrimental to the team that voided $29.125 million worth of guaranteed money in his contract, the Raiders sent Brown a letter that he no longer will be entitled to termination pay if they release him, per sources."

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm assuming AB has simply been verbally protesting stupid things like a helmet or verbally blowing steam towards management "the boss".  But I haven't followed every move to know if his practice habits have been compromised.

In PITT, he was calling out other players, like Ben, which I think has a more direct impact on the locker room.  

I don't think others would call the GM a cracker, or punt the ball because of a tantrum, so I don't see it has relating much to all of the other players who have a normal personality.  It doesn't send a message to the other players to go ahead and act that way, because most every other player in the locker room wouldn't act that way in the first place.

If there are other reasons he is being fined 215K, Ok.  But if I was the GM, I don't think I would fine him for calling me a word and punting the ball (after turning away from my direction).  I don't think the other players would be impacted because they would also simply see AB as a one-off nut job.

Letting any player get away with that behavior with zero repercussions would be terrible leadership in any work place

42 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know how to post Tweets here but as per Schefter:

"In addition to fining Antonio Brown $215,073.53 for conduct detrimental to the team that voided $29.125 million worth of guaranteed money in his contract, the Raiders sent Brown a letter that he no longer will be entitled to termination pay if they release him, per sources."

Click the timestamp of the tweet (under the tweet, next to the likes, where it says the time and date the tweet was posted) and it'll open up a new page of just that tweet. Copy and paste the URL from that page.  Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Letting any player get away with that behavior with zero repercussions would be terrible leadership in any work place

I don't disagree that in normal workplaces you can't allow words to be thrown about, but the repercussion needs to fit the offense.

It's escalated to where the terms of the huge contract have been negated and the player is about to be fired because of what amounts to a tantrum being thrown towards the boss.

As an anology, its like the baseball bat game, where you take turns placing your hand above the opponents to reach the top and someone prevails.

I'm not saying I know the correct course of action, but I think a GM should be professional enough to stop putting his hand on the bat at some point, knowing full well that the opponent (Brown) is a nut job who won't stop escalating.

He's not old by any means and still has plenty of talent, but this could be the end of the line for Brown in the NFL.  He wants big guaranteed money and I can't see any NFL team giving that to him after how this whole saga played out.  This guy either has the maturity of a 12 year old, or has some serious mental health issues that need to be addressed.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

He's missed most of training camp and some other mandatory team activities. He was sent a letter.

Brown was fined by Mayock nearly $54,000 for two incidents of missing mandatory team activities. There was also a a warning from Mayock that the Raiders “reserve the right to impose additional remedies ... including, but not limited to, additional fines and discipline for engaging in Conduct Detrimental to the Club.”

He wanted fines dropped for missing camp, and more recently, practice/walkthrough and team meetings.  Mayock refused and  thus the outbursts that included physical violence.

'Brown threatened to punch Mayock in the face: According to Rapoport, the altercation "wasn't physical," but there were threats of physical violence.

"After a screaming match, Brown told Mayock that he would hit him in the face and then punted the ball... and said, Fine me for that,"

It was reported Vontaze Burfict (of all people) had to physically restrain AB.

Mayock upped the fines and voided the guaranteed money.

AB feels rules do not apply to him because he is upper tier elite talent. Period.  He is wrong, nobody is bigger than the game.  He is radioactive toxic now.

23 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He's missed most of training camp and some other mandatory team activities. He was sent a letter.

Brown was fined by Mayock nearly $54,000 for two incidents of missing mandatory team activities. There was also a a warning from Mayock that the Raiders “reserve the right to impose additional remedies ... including, but not limited to, additional fines and discipline for engaging in Conduct Detrimental to the Club.”

He wanted fines dropped for missing camp, and more recently, team meetings.  Mayock refused and  thus the outbursts.  Mayock upped the fines and voided the guaranteed money.

AB feels rules do not apply to him because he is upper tier elite talent. Period.  He is wrong, nobody is bigger than the game.  He is radioactive toxic now.

Okay, I get it.  And I'm certainly not defending Brown, and I'll eventually end up on the losing side of the issue..  All I'm saying is that the immediate reason for his imminent termination appears to be his personal conduct towards one person, the GM, and not so much the past incidents which were deterimental to the team. He may, in fact, have a legitimate grievance to file with the NFLPA for Mayock escalating it into a $30M fine.

I guess if I'm Mayock, I would hold my ground in calling for the fines I originally imposed for missing time, and any other future fines should be consistent and be based upon missing time.

But the new fines were more about how Brown responded to the original fines.  I see that as unnecessary escalation of the situation by Mayock.  And a nut job like AB sin't going to back down from an escalation.

I like Gruden's response to the helmet issue.  Said something like "as far as I'm concerned, AB can play the game without a helmet."  Sort of makes the point that its an NFL rule that everybody has to follow, but also de-escalates the situation (and even strokes ABs ego a bit).

And we don't know anything else.  Maybe AB has put himself under pressure to earn a high profile contract with a new team and can't handle it any other way than being combative with authority.

Let him play.  If he scores three TDs with a new team and QB, his outlook on things might change.  I wouldn't fire him before he's even played a real game.

34 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Click the timestamp of the tweet (under the tweet, next to the likes, where it says the time and date the tweet was posted) and it'll open up a new page of just that tweet. Copy and paste the URL from that page.  Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you

Ahh. Thank you! I was selecting "embed tweet"