Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 - Chargers could be a W

Scott Pennock

43 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Ballard and Reich have nearly said Brissett is better than Luck... but we all know he´s not. He's Not.

That is strike 1.

What their master plan is though is full tank mode to get the first pick next year and next year again to get Trevor Lawrence and build a great defence.

And there is strike # 2

Brissett won't meet our expectations and I honestly believe we will lose a lot of games with him as our QB. 

No matter how much praise they throw our way about him, he´s no Andrew Luck and only a second ranked QB. If he really were a starter, then teams would have traded for him.

New England threw him away, because they didn't see any starter potential in him.

And a swing and a miss for strike 3. You’re out!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I hope they finally do have a few new packages...

What I hate is, when we run zone coverage, it seems like their TE is always open

Just slanting across the middle, in between the coverage.

I remember how last year, the Giants tore us apart with simple underneath stuff to the TEs

Almost like taking candy from a baby in that game.

I read a story and becoming better at covering TE was a major focus in the off season.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I read a story and becoming better at covering TE was a major focus in the off season.

Well soon we shall see. I hope they fix it.

I like the way Eberflus teaches and coaches the players to be aggressive and run to the football.

However, I felt last years heavy zone scheme was flawed and allowed way too many long drives and converted 3rd and long's

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Well soon we shall see. I hope they fix it.

I like the way Eberflus teaches and coaches the players to be aggressive and run to the football.

However, I felt last years heavy zone scheme was flawed and allowed way too many long drives and converted 3rd and long's

I bet we see more man this this year.

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Ballard and Reich have nearly said Brissett is better than Luck... but we all know he´s not. He's Not.

What their master plan is though is full tank mode to get the first pick next year and next year again to get Trevor Lawrence and build a great defence.

Brissett won't meet our expectations and I honestly believe we will lose a lot of games with him as our QB. 

No matter how much praise they throw our way about him, he´s no Andrew Luck and only a second ranked QB. If he really were a starter, then teams would have traded for him.

New England threw him away, because they didn't see any starter potential in him.

In his only season playing for New England Brissett was buried on the depth chart behind Brady & Garropolo. Even with Brady & a solid backup in place, they still justified using a 3rd round pick on him, so saying that they didn't see starter potential in him couldn't be further from the truth. Also, New England traded him to us for a former 1st round draft pick, who by the way is still on their roster.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

That’s why our dline has to be great. Rivers is a statue and is we give him no time to get the ball out we should do well.

I agree, Rivers is really accurate and will absolutely shred cover 2 if he has time.  If we don't get pressure on him consistently, we will lose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We cannot start the game slowly, and on the road, cannot be down by anything over a score. If we are within striking distance in the 4th qtr., then we will have a chance. If we let them get strikes on us early to go up by 2 TDs or 10 points in the first quarter, it could be a long day on the road.

• Like 2

First and foremost, our chances begin with better pressure than we have consistently displayed. As said in this thread, Rivers cannot have 4-5 seconds to throw the ball. 

Secondly, the offense needs Jacoby to get an early rhythm going with short passes and hand offs for 4yd+ runs. (I know...easier said than done)

Lastly, the Colts have to win the TO battle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

First and foremost, our chances begin with better pressure than we have consistently displayed. As said in this thread, Rivers cannot have 4-5 seconds to throw the ball. 

Secondly, the offense needs Jacoby to get an early rhythm going with short passes and hand offs for 4yd+ runs. (I know...easier said than done)

Lastly, the Colts have to win the TO battle. 

With the few plays we saw from DF in the preseason games we could see a lot of him to start the game to help JB. Plus Doyle will be critical. I also think Campbell can make it easier to get the ball out quick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Some people still really in their feelings about the Luck retirement and it shows haha 

I'm sure Frank is paying special attention to the New England vs Chargers tapes.  New England always has had this knack for whipping the Chargers no matter what year it is.  Hoyer was with New England when they prepared for that playoff game against San Diego last year.  He'll probably have some A plus suggestions for the offensive install this week. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm sure Frank is paying special attention to the New England vs Chargers tapes.  New England always has had this knack for whipping the Chargers no matter what year it is. 

Chargers didn't  have hunter that game I don't  think. Besides  hunter and Allen Mike Williams  is dangerous. Have to play tight physical  coverage a d force Rivers into making  mistakes. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Colts struggled with pass-catching RBs last season and Ekeler has averaged 10+ yards/reception in his career. He’s also averaged 5+ yards/carry...so he’s no slouch running the ball.

And Jackson was solid enough as a rookie last season.

Gordon being out certainly doesn’t hurt the Colts...but I don’t think we can underestimate their RBs.

Not to mention Hunter Henry is healthy...and Colts have had issues with TEs.

LB and S was a big focus this offseason...so hopefully we will see some big time improvements in these areas. 

Put Quincy on hunter, pierre on allen, and Rock on Mike Williams with hooker shadowing over the top

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Chargers didn't  have hunter that game I don't  think. Besides  hunter and Allen Mike Williams  is dangerous. Have to play tight physical  coverage a d force Rivers into making  mistakes. 

I think we'll get pressure on Rivers most of the day looking at that O Line.  Probably will have to get it out quick.  I don't think they will be able to run on us much. 

4 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

imported-photo-1387.thumb.jpeg.43b552bd9

This man knows his stuff.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

My point was we win as a team not the shoulders of the QB. The cowboys game was a great all around team effort.

It does need to be a team win, but we'd fair better by scoring  as often as possible.  This puts less pressure  on the defense and gives hooker more opportunities  for ints if Rivers tries to play  hero ball.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Is the chargers line really that bad?

Legit on paper, they are that bad.

They're missing their best player on the lie, Okung.

Last year they surrendered pressure on 30.8% of all passes, gave up 32 sacks

4 of their current starters, per PFF, scored sub 62 on their scoring chart, and currently rates them 29th overall (They rate Colts #5)

I expect a lot of VERY short passes with Rivers. I expect Autry, Huston, and Turay to FEAST. If I were the DC, I'd put Autry and Huston on the same side of the line

• Like 1

One thing's for sure, it'll be disappointing if our DL doesn't get pressure on Rivers. It's probably the worst OL we'll face all year and the defensive side of the ball tends to start off a little hotter than the offensive side.

Also, even though James is out I still think the Chargers will give Brissett problems. In fact, I think he'll have a rough game overall. I'm thinking we'll see a crucial strip sack at some point. Hopefully people who are touting him highly (as well as people who are down on him) won't overreact too much if so.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

One thing's for sure, it'll be disappointing if our DL doesn't get pressure on Rivers. It's probably the worst OL we'll face all year and the defensive side of the ball tends to start off a little hotter than the offensive side.

Also, even though James is out I still think the Chargers will give Brissett problems. In fact, I think he'll have a rough game overall. I'm thinking we'll see a crucial strip sack at some point. Hopefully people who are touting him highly (as well as people who are down on him) won't overreact too much if so.

Yeah I wouldn’t over react with one game from JB. Most people thought this was a loss even with Luck.

24 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think Brissett  will perform great and limit  turnovers.  The main reason is parris Campbell.  Brissett  won't  have to hold the ball long with the way he separates. Also I still say texans oline is worse til they prove otherwise 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheMarine said:

Legit on paper, they are that bad.

They're missing their best player on the lie, Okung.

Last year they surrendered pressure on 30.8% of all passes, gave up 32 sacks

4 of their current starters, per PFF, scored sub 62 on their scoring chart, and currently rates them 29th overall (They rate Colts #5)

I expect a lot of VERY short passes with Rivers. I expect Autry, Huston, and Turay to FEAST. If I were the DC, I'd put Autry and Huston on the same side of the line

But they went 12-4 last year with nearly the same line.

• Like 2