Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 - Chargers could be a W

Scott Pennock

I know we're supposed to lose this one but their team looks like a mess to me just as much as our recent retirement.....

For starters check this tweet out:

Their offensive line stats from last year look rather........offensive! Ha! 

Secondly, no Melvin Gordan so it'll be a running back by committee. No stud bellcow to hang their hat on....

Lastly, Derwin James is out as well. So their best defender is out....

If Muhammad, Banogu, Houston, Turay, Hunt, Autry, Ward and Lewis can consistently be in the backfield distrupting the 37 year old Phillip Rivers and their running lanes I think we have a punchers chance to roll out of there with a W.....

• Like 9

I actually think this is going to be a great game for our defense and Jacoby is going to surprise many out of the gate. 

31-14 Colts. 

Jacoby 3 TDs, 310 yards passing, 50 yards rushing. 

Hilton, Doyle, Mack & Hines with TDs. 

Malik Hooker with 1 INT. 

:)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I also think we could lose just because it might take a game for the offense to settle in and play without luck.

Jacoby has been with the first team offense for most of training camp, the offense is settled in already. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I know we're supposed to lose this one but their team looks like a mess to me just as much as our recent retirement.....

For starters check this tweet out:

Their offensive line stats from last year look rather........offensive! Ha! 

Secondly, no Melvin Gordan so it'll be a running back by committee. No stud bellcow to hang their hat on....

Remember they won 12 games last year and were 4-0 without Gordon.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

I actually think this is going to be a great game for our defense and Jacoby is going to surprise many out of the gate. 

31-14 Colts. 

Malik Hooker with 1 INT. 

Why would you have Brissett with 50 yards rushing?  He is not a running QB, nor is he very fast.  he picks good times to pull it down and run but hopefully he doesn't have to do that too often.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, C0LT5 said:

Jacoby has been with the first team offense for most of training camp, the offense is settled in already. 

Game action is different. It also migh take a game for Reich to figure out the best offensive game plan. The blueprint on how we win this year is that cowboys game last year. I think the redskins game was another where Luck didn’t have huge numbers.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Game action is different. It also migh take a game for Reich to figure out the best offensive game plan. The blueprint on how we win this year is that cowboys game last year. I think the redskins game was another where Luck didn’t have huge numbers.

The blue print is the greatest  show on turf. Out score  every body.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not buying it. Every team is now going to have to get warmed up from not playing many 1's in the preseason. If Reich can't figure out a game plan for a QB he's had his entire head coaching career that he raves about then he doesn't belong in coaching.

18 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Why would you have Brissett with 50 yards rushing?  He is not a running QB, nor is he very fast.  he picks good times to pull it down and run but hopefully he doesn't have to do that too often.

First game jitters resorting to a couple of longer 3rd down runs. I agree he's not a running QB by any means but he most certainly can break off a 15-20 yard run, especially with some of our deep threats spacing the field. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Myles said:

Remember they won 12 games last year and were 4-0 without Gordon.  

Colts struggled with pass-catching RBs last season and Ekeler has averaged 10+ yards/reception in his career. He’s also averaged 5+ yards/carry...so he’s no slouch running the ball.

And Jackson was solid enough as a rookie last season.

Gordon being out certainly doesn’t hurt the Colts...but I don’t think we can underestimate their RBs.

Not to mention Hunter Henry is healthy...and Colts have had issues with TEs.

LB and S was a big focus this offseason...so hopefully we will see some big time improvements in these areas. 

• Like 3

Ballard and Reich have nearly said Brissett is better than Luck... but we all know he´s not. He's Not.

What their master plan is though is full tank mode to get the first pick next year and next year again to get Trevor Lawrence and build a great defence.

Brissett won't meet our expectations and I honestly believe we will lose a lot of games with him as our QB. 

No matter how much praise they throw our way about him, he´s no Andrew Luck and only a second ranked QB. If he really were a starter, then teams would have traded for him.

New England threw him away, because they didn't see any starter potential in him.

• Thanks 1

game could go either way we struggle with pass catching Rbs and hunter henry should eat unless Wilson is used and is a good on tight ends as they think he is lol..and for us i think our TE will win this game they have no one who can Defend Hilton/Ebron/Doyle 

2 minutes ago, will426 said:

game could go either way we struggle with pass catching Rbs and hunter henry should eat unless Wilson is used and is a good on tight ends as they think he is lol..and for us i think our Tightends will won this game they have no one who can Defend Hilton/Ebron/Doyle 

That’s why our dline has to be great. Rivers is a statue and is we give him no time to get the ball out we should do well.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

They do have a good Dline. I would say ours might be a little better. This could end up as a defensive battle. I also think we could lose just because it might take a game for the offense to settle in and play without luck.

haven’t played w luck all offseason 

• Thanks 2

Yeah, most of this has been dissected/delved into in that other Chargers prediction thread. According to that pole the majority of people here actually think we're gonna come out on top.

I think it's gonna be close but I have us ultimately losing. Won't be surprsied either way though. Hopefully our pass rush can rattle Rivers so that he isn't able to pick apart our defense when we go cover 2, because he will be able to get off easy quick passes in those soft spots of the zone if we let him. Our pass rush and red zone defense will be key.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjrulli said:

31-14 Colts. 

Malik Hooker with 1 INT. 

I agree.  I think Hooker is going to be back to full form.  I expect a big year for him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Ballard and Reich have nearly said Brissett is better than Luck... but we all know he´s not. He's Not.

What their master plan is though is full tank mode to get the first pick next year and next year again to get Trevor Lawrence and build a great defence.

Brissett won't meet our expectations and I honestly believe we will lose a lot of games with him as our QB. 

No matter how much praise they throw our way about him, he´s no Andrew Luck and only a second ranked QB. If he really were a starter, then teams would have traded for him.

New England threw him away, because they didn't see any starter potential in him.

You are so far off base.   Do you really believe that?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

No, they have not said that...at all.

If he really were a starter, then teams would have traded for him.

Can you state for a fact that no team has ever tried to trade for Jacoby?  Because many reports have come out indicating that trade offers have been made.

NE traded him because they had Tom Brady, Jimmy Garoppolo (making Jacoby 3rd on their depth chart) and they had a need at WR. 

• Like 3

The zone scheme Matt Eberflus runs seems to struggle against opposing teams TE position.

The areas I worry most about are:

Rivers picking us apart throwing to TE Hunter Henry.

Also, I hope the O-line is able to contain Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram.

...Or we are in for a long day.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/story/2019-09-01/joey-bosa-and-hunter-henry-healthy-dominate-chargers

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The zone scheme Matt Eberflus runs seems to struggle against opposing teams TE position.

The areas I worry most about are:

Rivers picking us apart throwing to Hunter TE Henry.

Also, I hope the O-line is able to contain Joey Bosa.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/story/2019-09-01/joey-bosa-and-hunter-henry-healthy-dominate-chargers

Seems they may have some new packages for TE. In camp it looked like Wilson was the guy to follow around the TE. If we get pressure on rivers he won’t have time to throw.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Seems they may have some new packages for TE. In camp it looked like Wilson was the guy to follow around the TE. If we get pressure on rivers he won’t have time to throw.

I hope they finally do have a few new packages...

What I hate is, when we run zone coverage, it seems like their TE is always open

Just slanting across the middle, in between the coverage.

I remember how last year, the Giants tore us apart with simple underneath stuff to the TEs

Almost like taking candy from a baby in that game.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Have not heard yet but Allen had a bad foot and was in a boot. I think there is still a chance he might not play.

I thought about that too.

But just read where now they are expecting Allen to play.

August 30, 2019 08:52 PM

Chargers' Keenan Allen: Ready for Week 1

by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Allen did not play in Thursday's 27-24 preseason victory over the 49ers.

This shouldn't come as much of a surprise considering neither the Chargers nor 49ers opted to play any of their regular starters. Allen did miss time throughout the preseason with a minor ankle injury, but it never seemed to be a significant issue. As a result, the 27-year-old should be set for a Week 1 matchup against the Colts.

• Like 1