Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 1 - Chargers could be a W

Scott Pennock

5 hours ago, Myles said:

But they went 12-4 last year with nearly the same line.

Correct.

They were also abused up front in each of their losses. Yes they scored points, because Philip Friggin Rivers and Keenan Allen. But we have the secondary (holy cow thats weird...) now to match up and limit them from just running up and down the field.

Their defensive strength is their ends, and we have two tackles capable of limiting their impact opportunities, and the strength on the interior line now to allow Obi Jacoby to step up on time.

Its going to be close, just because of Philip and we're on the road. But theres no reason we can't score on them, and theres no reason we cant limit their opportunities taking shots.

21 hours ago, Stephen said:

Is the chargers line really that bad?

Only if you expose it. Broncos, Chiefs both had good pass rushes last year, so it showed up in the division more importantly. However, the Chargers made adjustments like they always do as the season went on. Like the Patriots, the Chargers are the type of team you are better off playing early on in the year. 

Rivers rolls out and throws, he is an underrated scrambler for the sake of extending the play seeking an open throw. He also loves throwing to his RBs underneath. If it is a grind it out game in the low 20s, we have a good chance. If we give up point totals in the 30s, we are asking for trouble.

• Like 1

Run the ball consistently particularly off the edges(saw Pats doing this a lot vs SD), protect Jacoby when we go through the air and we will get the win.  I don't think the Chargers can succeed with a mostly pass happy attack. Gordon being out will hurt them. 

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Chargers secondary is pretty good but I like our matchups on just about any of those guys one on one.  Especially with Derwin James being inactive. 

Desmond King is probably their best coverage corner and overall their best secondary player. He made first team all pro last year as well.

8 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Desmond King is probably their best coverage corner and overall their best secondary player. He made first team all pro last year as well.

He's kind of smallish in stature though.  I like Funchess, Ty, Cain or Parris Campbell on him.  All winnable matchups.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

He's kind of smallish in stature though.  I like Funchess, Ty, Cain or Parris Campbell on him.  All winnable matchups.

I think King was primarily a slot corner last year. All of their main corners are like 5’10” ish. Funchess should be able to have a good day 

• Like 1

i would have to pick the chargers if this was for money but the colts could be a decent under dog pick this week.

funny that every team in the division is an under dog.  the jaguars chiefs game should have a top 5 offense facing a top 5 defense on the road.  good one to keep an eye on 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't wait to see what Brissett's got playing with good players around him. We do not have Peyton or Luck anymore but Brissett isn't like we are just rolling out Painter or Tolzien. Brissett can actually play and deserves a shot as a starter.

We didn’t have to bring someone off the streets either. He has played with some of these guys a entire season. Ryan Kelly I think was hurt all but 7 games but he still played with him. Doyle made the pro bowl that year. Although TY didn’t have a huge year he was still pretty good.  AC was also his left tackle. JB has been taking all the reps since the spring and is second year in Reich’s system. I really think he will play well if we can run the ball and the oline protects him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We didn’t have to bring someone off the streets either. He has played with some of these guys a entire season. Ryan Kelly I think was hurt all but 7 games but he still played with him. Doyle made the pro bowl that year. Although TY didn’t have a huge year he was still pretty good.  AC was also his left tackle. JB has been taking all the reps since the spring and is second year in Reich’s system. I really think he will play well if we can run the ball and the oline protects him. 

I still like the Hoyer signing just as a mentor but yeah the team we have now is so much better than what we had in 2017. I would be a little surprised if Brissett went 4-11 again with this team. I say 8 or 9 wins are possible. 9 may win the division. If we somehow beat the Chargers I can see 9 and possibly winning the division. I say that because this is one of our tougher games and a win like that will give the team major confidence. I look at the Texans, Jags, and Titans rosters and all of those teams to me are 8 or 9 teams as well. The South is up in the air IMO. I do not see the Texans winning 11 again, they won a lot of close games last season and they lost Miller and Clowney. Jags added Foles and have a great defense but stunk it up last season. I see them winning 9. Titans have 8-8 written all over them.

21 hours ago, TheMarine said:

Correct.

They were also abused up front in each of their losses. Yes they scored points, because Philip Friggin Rivers and Keenan Allen. But we have the secondary (holy cow thats weird...) now to match up and limit them from just running up and down the field.

Their defensive strength is their ends, and we have two tackles capable of limiting their impact opportunities, and the strength on the interior line now to allow Obi Jacoby to step up on time.

Its going to be close, just because of Philip and we're on the road. But theres no reason we can't score on them, and theres no reason we cant limit their opportunities taking shots.

LOL.  If he comes out strong you have to use this.

Obi Wan Jacoby

love it!

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I won’t be surprised if the first play is a deep ball to Hilton or a short pass to Campbell. They are going to expect us to run. I think it will all depend on who gets the ball first. 

If those are my two options I'd guess a screen to Campbell IMO. I think we might run first though.

11 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

If those are my two options I'd guess a screen to Campbell IMO. I think we might run first though.

I would like to catch them off guard. I could see run first though if they get the ball first  and score. If the colts get the ball first or we stop them on their first drive all bets are off.

I do think Reich trusts JB and won’t hold back.

I think the Chargers are going to come out expecting the Colts to try and establish the run first to take some of the pressure off Brissett.  They also know Frank has said he wants a better running game.  Here's hoping Frank crosses them up and has Jacoby throwing early and it hopefully gets us a score while at the same time getting Jacoby confident and relaxed.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still like the Hoyer signing just as a mentor but yeah the team we have now is so much better than what we had in 2017. I would be a little surprised if Brissett went 4-11 again with this team. I say 8 or 9 wins are possible. 9 may win the division. If we somehow beat the Chargers I can see 9 and possibly winning the division. I say that because this is one of our tougher games and a win like that will give the team major confidence. I look at the Texans, Jags, and Titans rosters and all of those teams to me are 8 or 9 teams as well. The South is up in the air IMO. I do not see the Texans winning 11 again, they won a lot of close games last season and they lost Miller and Clowney. Jags added Foles and have a great defense but stunk it up last season. I see them winning 9. Titans have 8-8 written all over them.

honestly foles has been average every season except with chip Kelly and his super run with frank reich. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I think the Chargers are going to come out expecting the Colts to try and establish the run first to take some of the pressure off Brissett.  They also know Frank has said he wants a better running game.  Here's hoping Frank crosses them up and has Jacoby throwing early and it hopefully gets us a score while at the same time getting Jacoby confident and relaxed.  

I think campbell will have a 100 plus yard game.

49 minutes ago, runthepost said:

That’s all Foles needs to do with Jags. Score at least 20 a game and the Jags defense takes care of the rest

To your point, I always make fun of the Jags because, well they usually stink. Having said that, they scare me the most in the division this season. I do not have Bortles anymore to take shots at lmao . Foles is better than Bortles and their defense is still great.

57 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Chargers are beat up. I don’t know if some of these are important players but dang.

There was article  on  superbowl  nation that says what expect  from Brissett  and they point out two things. First his pocket  presence.  They showed two plays back to back where he side steps a blitzer steps up and makes a throw. The second point was his ability  to extend plays like Aaron  Rodgers. On this particular  play Brissett  rolls out evading a blitzer and throws a laser to the sidelines similar to the way Rodgers does.

• Like 1