Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano?

Lucky Colts Fan

Would you be OK with Irsay bringing Chuck Pagano back in some capacity?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be OK with Irsay bringing Chuck Pagano back in some capacity?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

If, if, if, if...

How's this: IF the Patriots jumped offsides, it wouldn't have mattered where they were lined up, it would have been first down, Colts

To the bolded, he's actually not. There are plenty of things for which Pagano deserves direct blame. That play is not one of them. The blame for that play belongs to Tom McMahon, who happens to be a great STs coach, but he messed up on that one.

Wrong....it still would've been illegal formation on indy it plus offsides on the pats penalties would've offset replay 4th down then they would've punted....I understand what you saying as far as blaming McMahon but in the media chuck will be to blame for that period because he was the head coach and he's supposed to oversee everything

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

The link I posted above is from a Bar Stool episode where he goes into great detail about the play, and it includes a transcript of that part of the conversation. If it ain't there...

But go ahead and look. You know where to find me.

start at like 3:30

At exactly 4:14 "Colt Anderson who is the PP, Chuck Pagano says to him "if they don't do it, maybe a hard count, try to get them to jump offsides." Doesnt tell Griff Whalen, he only tells Colt Anderson that."

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Wrong....it still would've been illegal formation on indy it plus offsides on the pats penalties would've offset replay 4th down then they would've punted....I understand what you saying as far as blaming McMahon but in the media chuck will be to blame for that period because he was the head coach and he's supposed to oversee everything

You can't have an illegal formation penalty if you don't snap the ball.

And it's dumb to blame the head coach as if he can personally oversee every detail of every game. That's literally the point of having assistant coaches, and there are like 18 assistants on each staff. 

Obviously it's convenient to simply blame the head coach. That doesn't mean it makes sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

You can't have an illegal formation penalty if you don't snap the ball.

And it's dumb to blame the head coach as if he can personally oversee every detail of every game. That's literally the point of having assistant coaches, and there are like 18 assistants on each staff. 

Obviously it's convenient to simply blame the head coach. That doesn't mean it makes sense.

Hey it comes with the job....look at wilkins they're already talking about firing him after one season and that team was already screwed before he got there

To the OP question - We've moved on.  We've turned the page.  There's mojo at stake.  Seriously.  These things have an extra-reality vibe that should not be messed with.  Don't do it.  Just don't.

"If you believe you're winning because you're getting l@id, or because you're not getting l@id, or because you're wearing women's underwear, then you ARE!  And you should know that." -- Crash Davis, 'Bull Durham'

9 minutes ago, DrLuck said:

start at like 3:30

You're right, I'm wrong. I stand corrected. Pat says Colt Anderson said Chuck Pagano told him at the last minute, 'maybe try to draw them offsides.'

I had never heard or read that, so you're right.

If that's true -- if Pagano told Colt Anderson 'try to draw them offsides' at the last minute, and that led to the miscommunication, then it's right to blame Pagano. Partly.

But here's the problem: McAfee has two different versions of this story out there now. Even in this version of the story, though, Pagano told Anderson to go with a hard count. He didn't tell him to have the ball snapped. Griff Whalen snapped the ball because Anderson was under center, but Anderson lined up to get under center from the beginning. 

The other version that's been told is that, during the week, they changed the play, but Whalen didn't practice at center during the week. And that jibes with McAfee's story, which details that the left gunner who moved to center was injured during the game (either Geathers or Guy). So they practiced it one way during the week, then substituted a player who only knew the strict playbook version of the play, and didn't give him the updated instruction.

So I still don't think it's right to lay all the blame at Pagano's feet, but IF he threw in an extra wrinkle at the last minute and led to the miscommunication, that's definitely part of the problem. 

Good recall, and good find.

15 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Hey it comes with the job....look at wilkins they're already talking about firing him after one season and that team was already screwed before he got there

Weak.

• Thanks 1

The level certain people go to make sure they are right and rub others nose in being wrong here is really telling at times.  

I still feel to some being right is more important than if what happens helps the Colts or not.

Speaking of that, to the topic at hand I don’t think the Colts should bring Chuck.  The things he believes in as a coach doesn’t fit the current make up of the team.  Also having him back could cause a devided lockerroom as some or these guys played for Chuck and I am sure they are loyal to him.

i wish Chuck nothing but the best but it’s not in his or the Colts best interest to bring him back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

I can't find anything that has him employed by nfln.   He is a consultant for the NFL.   Coordinators make a lot more than consultants I'm guessing

Not sure if hes employed my NFLN. Maybe it was just special guest stuff.

I like Pagano as much as anyone.   But he does not belong back here.

The new coach (Reich) doesn’t need the old coach (Pagano) hanging around the complex.   Even as a rah-rah guy.

This kind of thing doesn’t happen in the NFL, and for good reason.   It’s a poor idea.

Sorry.  No offense intended.   But it is.

Everyone gets a fresh start and goes their own way....

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If he gets a chance to bring back Peyton I bet he does.

I bet he doesn’t.

Peyton wants a serious job.   He doesn’t want a job below Ballard — too low.

And Ballard doesn’t want anyone who might come between him and Irsay.  Peyton’s return would likely lead to Ballard leaving.   I’d have no interest in that. 

• Like 1

Pagano became the whipping boy for disgruntled fans.  When you're losing, all the mistakes become magnified (and all coaches make them).  He was also an easy target because he never threw players under the bus, as most frustrated fans wanted to do themselves.  Grigson didn't get him enough talent and of course, Luck got hurt. 

Nice reminiscing about old times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If he gets a chance to bring back Peyton I bet he does.

I would hope not.  I don't want anything to rock the boat in that front office as it just might be heading for great things with Ballard at the helm. 

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like Pagano as much as anyone.   But he does not belong back here.

The new coach (Reich) doesn’t need the old coach (Pagano) hanging around the complex.   Even as a rah-rah guy.

This kind of thing doesn’t happen in the NFL, and for good reason.   It’s a poor idea.

Sorry.  No offense intended.   But it is.

Everyone gets a fresh start and goes their own way....

Yep.... and this coaching staff has enough of a “science project” feel to it as it is after McDaniels pulled his pinche nonsense on Ballard.

With several of the staff having been brought in by McDaniels, we’re fortunate that it’s worked this well, this fast.

Leave it alone!! :thmup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I bet he doesn’t.

Peyton wants a serious job.   He doesn’t want a job below Ballard — too low.

And Ballard doesn’t want anyone who might come between him and Irsay.  Peyton’s return would likely lead to Ballard leaving.   I’d have no interest in that. 

All things change overtime.  Even Bill Polian was told to leave one day and you could argue he’s the greatest GM of all time.

Also if Irsay decided he wanted Peyton and Peyton wanted to come here Ballard’s opinion on the subject wouldn’t matter because Irsay owns the team.

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We already have a HC and DC in Reich and Eberflus, so it's not like Chuck would be calling plays.  But he could be good in some sort of defensive assistant role.

Yeah, I thought about his defensive philosophy not really meshing with Eberflus.

But if no other team wants him, we could throw him a bone as a secondary coach of some sort.  Not calling plays or making in-game decisions, but just as an assistant to Eberflus.

Glorified Motivational Speaker and Waterboy?  :dunno:

Dude, stop. Just no.

Move on.

It is disgusting how people on here treat chuck pagano .    look at the roster he was given  at his time here .   grigson blew every single first round pick on busts exept ryan kelly who was injured a lot and just started getting good .  

chuck had the worst offensive line in football worst defensive talent maybe ever and he had one losing season in 6 years won 3 playoff games and went to the afc champion ship game .

he is not as bad as people make him out to be on here ryan grigson would blow all the cap space on 35 year old players .  out of all his drafts he hit on 2 players he is the only gm to have 3 full drafts with all busts and every free agent move was terrible .

It is a mircle chuck won games here even aron rodgers cant go to the playoffs with out talent around him look at this year. yet chuck goes to the playoffs almost every year with no talent and wins playoff games . 

put bill bellichick on the colts the year we went to the afc championship and i bet he doesnt go further then chuck . people always say you have to play around the strength of your team and adjust but with horrible  players its hard to get stuff done and i thought he made good adjustments if you look at a lot of games we were losing after halftime he would make adjustments and we would come back  a lot of times . 

even last year his worst year we were in rebuilding mode and got brissett late right before start of the season and we went 4-12 but were in almost every game still only losing games by one score a lot of times he never lost the locker room players loved him . with a full offseason for brissett we could of easily went 8-8 last year in a rebuilding year with no luck .  

my point is the guy is not as bad as people make him out to be he has a winning record as a head coach and is 3-3 in the playoffs with a terrible roster . i think in the right situation we will see him become a successful head coach . people forget bill billichick  got fired pete carroll and tons of great head coaches had to go through a process of learning to improve before they were great. for the experience chuck had, which was almost nothing before he became a head coach , he did a good job here .   I wish him luck and hope he gets another chance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cbear said:

Pagano became the whipping boy for disgruntled fans.  When you're losing, all the mistakes become magnified (and all coaches make them).  He was also an easy target because he never threw players under the bus, as most frustrated fans wanted to do themselves.  Grigson didn't get him enough talent and of course, Luck got hurt. 

Nice reminiscing about old times. 

And deservedly so.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Good dude, but I think he was here long enough and I think it would hurt the integrity of the locker room if he came back.  He'll find a job somewhere.  And would he even want to come back here?  IDK about that.

It's not even realistic.

However, I hope his interview with Green Bay goes well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

All things change overtime.  Even Bill Polian was told to leave one day and you could argue he’s the greatest GM of all time.

Also if Irsay decided he wanted Peyton and Peyton wanted to come here Ballard’s opinion on the subject wouldn’t matter because Irsay owns the team.

So you’d really rather have Peyton than Ballard?

Really?

Really?    I confess I didn’t see that coming......