Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano?

Lucky Colts Fan

Would you be OK with Irsay bringing Chuck Pagano back in some capacity?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be OK with Irsay bringing Chuck Pagano back in some capacity?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001004521/article/pagano-rested-ready-to-use-experiences-with-next-job

Pagano has been working as a consultant with the NFL, and is ready to get back into coaching.

I love Chuck, just not as a HC.  I wouldn't mind Irsay bringing him back as some sort of assistant with the team.  He is a great Rah-Rah guy and gets his players to play for him.

We already have Reich and Eberflus, but Chuck might make a nice addition to the defensive coaching staff.

Not as a coach. Our defensive philosophies are entirely different from what Pagano has always done, including in the secondary, which is his specialty.

I think Pagano will be back on the sidelines in 2019, probably as a coordinator. He doesn't need the Colts to get back in the league. Both parties have turned the page, and that's just fine.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, masterlock said:

No. I like Chuck, the man, but Chuck the coach has questionable judgement IMO, and I wouldn't want to see that rub off on the team in any way.

We already have a HC and DC in Reich and Eberflus, so it's not like Chuck would be calling plays.  But he could be good in some sort of defensive assistant role.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Not as a coach. Our defensive philosophies are entirely different from what Pagano has always done, including in the secondary, which is his specialty.

I think Pagano will be back on the sidelines in 2019, probably as a coordinator. He doesn't need the Colts to get back in the league. Both parties have turned the page, and that's just fine.

Yeah, I thought about his defensive philosophy not really meshing with Eberflus.

But if no other team wants him, we could throw him a bone as a secondary coach of some sort.  Not calling plays or making in-game decisions, but just as an assistant to Eberflus.

Glorified Motivational Speaker and Waterboy?  :dunno:

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yeah, I thought about his defensive philosophy not really meshing with Eberflus.

But if no other team wants him, we could throw him a bone as a secondary coach of some sort.  Not calling plays or making in-game decisions, but just as an assistant to Eberflus.

It seemed like he was the Ravens first choice to replace Dean Pees last year, but he wasn't ready to take the job. He did an interview with Rapaport the other day where he talks about some of the things he was able to do while taking a year off from coaching, and it made me think he wanted to step away for a little bit before figuring out what to do next. Now he's ready to get back into it, and feels like he's learned and grown... Time will tell if that's true, but my point is that I don't think he'll need the Colts to throw him a bone. 

Don't let harsh Colts fans fool you. I think Pagano still has a good reputation in the NFL, and while I don't think anyone is going to hire him as a head coach, I don't think it will be hard for him to get a job on someone's staff. He could easily be a DB coach, but I expect him to get a coordinator gig.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001004521/article/pagano-rested-ready-to-use-experiences-with-next-job

Pagano has been working as a consultant with the NFL, and is ready to get back into coaching.

I love Chuck, just not as a HC.  I wouldn't mind Irsay bringing him back as some sort of assistant with the team.  He is a great Rah-Rah guy and gets his players to play for him.

We already have Reich and Eberflus, but Chuck might make a nice addition to the defensive coaching staff.

leave Pagano the same place we put Curtis Painter...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I know this post is a joke, but blaming that play on Pagano is like blaming the mayor for a frozen traffic signal.

It is when the Mayor sends the WRONG personnel with no experience or practice running it out to install it...

• Like 2

My opinion of Chuck was, he was an Average HC. He wasn't Bad/sucked nor was he close to Great. The Players loved him so they played hard for him but his X's and O's were lacking. Once you fire a HC it is just time to move on. Glad to see that era come to an end as Ballard and Frank both have been refreshing for the franchise.

I like Pagano. Good man. Not a horrible coach. But not a great one either. I hope he gets an opportunity somewhere. Just not here.

His Defense in Baltimore back in 2011 was quite good. Were a shanked kick away from taking NE to OT in the AFCCG. So I don’t think he’s garbage.

Let him get a coordinator job in the NFC or something 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It is when the Mayor sends the WRONG personnel with no experience or practice running it out to install it...

The mayor doesn't send that personnel out to do the install. There are several responsible individuals between the mayor and the execution of that installation.

Pagano didn't call that play, didn't oversee the film work, practice or personnel, and he didn't decide to swap the personnel on game day. The STs coach made the mistake on game day.

I'm fine with the typical platitudes of 'the head coach is ultimately responsible,' and I agree, but finer details like this aren't something the head coach is going to be aware of on game day. That's why he has assistants.

2 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

It should've never been an idea that's basically why everyone started to really question chuck's coaching abilities

Ugh.

It wasn't a radical concept. The Patriots just did something based on a similar concept a couple weeks ago. The idea was to get them lined up wrong and go for it, and if they didn't line up favorably, try to get them to jump. Failing that, take the penalty and punt. 

The only reason it went so dramatically wrong is they had the wrong guy on the field. And that's the fault of the STs coach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Superman said:

Ugh.

It wasn't a radical concept. The Patriots just did something based on a similar concept a couple weeks ago. The idea was to get them lined up wrong and go for it, and if they didn't line up favorably, try to get them to jump. Failing that, take the penalty and punt. 

The only reason it went so dramatically wrong is they had the wrong guy on the field. And that's the fault of the STs coach.

Well regardless it shouldn't have happened they had been practicing it wrong anyway it was an illegal formation and that patriot's play wasn't that much similar....they tried to get them offsides and didn't so they punted it without the other team substituting which was clever since the other team didn't have their punt returner on the field but it's history now

Eh. No. Chuck is a great guy. The kind of human every franchise should aspire to have. 

Horrible coach, great person. Players love him. Everyone talked all that “he’s lost the players” junk last year despite the fact that the players came in to practice on the bye. They played hard for him to the very last snap. 

He wouldn't come back here in a lesser role. 

1 minute ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Well regardless it shouldn't have happened they had been practicing it wrong anyway it was an illegal formation and that patriot's play wasn't that much similar....they tried to get them offsides and didn't so they punted it without the other team substituting which was clever since the other team didn't have their punt returner on the field but it's history now

If you don't think that Patriots scheme had an option for going for it there, you're mistaken. If they caught the other team aligned wrong, or with the wrong personnel on the field, they would have tried to convert on 4th down. I'm certain of it.

Another team -- I can't remember which -- tried something similar a couple weeks earlier, and the refs made them wait for the other team to sub. They wound up taking a timeout, I think. 

And yes, it's obvious the Colts hadn't effectively practiced their fake, and it went horribly wrong. But people laying that play squarely at Pagano's feet are being unfair. If you want to say that play was an indication of the lack of attention to detail that sometimes plagued his team, that's fair. But blaming Pagano for that specific play is nonsense.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 4:12 PM, Superman said:

I know this post is a joke, but blaming that play on Pagano is like blaming the mayor for a frozen traffic signal.

"Wrong."

Pagano told him to try to draw them offsides at the last second, when the playbook says if he goes under center snap the ball. If he had read the playbook and known what was going on he never tells them to try to draw them off and this debacle never happens. 100% on him.

4 minutes ago, DrLuck said:

We finally got away from this crap please dear god do not bring his incompetence back... might as well bring back Grigson too while you are at it... just blow this whole thing up for no gain.

2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Mods...please delete this tripe.

Geez, who peed in your cereal?

FaroffPaltryCrane-size_restricted.gif

On 12/26/2018 at 5:05 PM, DrLuck said:

"Wrong."

Pagano told him to try to draw them offsides at the last second, when the playbook says if he goes under center snap the ball. If he had read the playbook and known what was going on he never tells them to try to draw them off and this debacle never happens. 100% on him.

I'm not going to say that you made that up, but I will say you didn't get that explanation from anyone who was with the Colts in 2015.

Here's the latest explanation on that play, from Pat McAfee: https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/11/3/16578676/ex-indianapolis-colts-punter-pat-mcafee-fake-punt-disaster-new-england-patriots-2015

Find me something that says Pagano told 'him' to try to draw the Pats offsides at the last second. You can't.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not going to say that you made that up, but I will say you didn't get that explanation from anyone who was with the Colts in 2015.

Here's the latest explanation on that play, from Pat McAfee: https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/11/3/16578676/ex-indianapolis-colts-punter-pat-mcafee-fake-punt-disaster-new-england-patriots-2015

Find me something that says Pagano told 'him' to try to draw the Pats offsides at the last second. You can't.

I can and I will.  It was on a bar stool sports episode where he explains it.  Let me find it because I am 100% he says it.

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

If you don't think that Patriots scheme had an option for going for it there, you're mistaken. If they caught the other team aligned wrong, or with the wrong personnel on the field, they would have tried to convert on 4th down. I'm certain of it.

Another team -- I can't remember which -- tried something similar a couple weeks earlier, and the refs made them wait for the other team to sub. They wound up taking a timeout, I think. 

And yes, it's obvious the Colts hadn't effectively practiced their fake, and it went horribly wrong. But people laying that play squarely at Pagano's feet are being unfair. If you want to say that play was an indication of the lack of attention to detail that sometimes plagued his team, that's fair. But blaming Pagano for that specific play is nonsense.

It was the Steelers game I had think about it....yeah belichick wouldn't have done it unless they was down by atleast 2 touchdowns and it was tight game anyway it was just a bluff then catch them off guard without their punt returner....when indy did it they was down but it was unnecessary since they wouldn't close to the 50 yard line anyway but it is what it is and chuck will always be to blame for that play 

3 minutes ago, DrLuck said:

I can and I will.  It was on a bar stool sports episode where he explains it.  Let me find it because I am 100% he says it.

The link I posted above is from a Bar Stool episode where he goes into great detail about the play, and it includes a transcript of that part of the conversation. If it ain't there...

But go ahead and look. You know where to find me.

1 minute ago, VaAllDay757 said:

It was the Steelers game I had think about it....yeah belichick wouldn't have done it unless they was down by atleast 2 touchdowns and it was tight game anyway it was just a bluff then catch them off guard without their punt returner....when indy did it they was down but it was unnecessary since they wouldn't close to the 50 yard line anyway but it is what it is and chuck will always be to blame for that play 

If, if, if, if...

How's this: IF the Patriots jumped offsides, it wouldn't have mattered where they were lined up, it would have been first down, Colts. 

To the bolded, he's actually not. There are plenty of things for which Pagano deserves direct blame. That play is not one of them. The blame for that play belongs to Tom McMahon, who happens to be a great STs coach, but he messed up on that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1