Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bad Colts D, Good Raiders O, or a little of both?

DalTXColtsFan

You never like to see your D get gashed for 4 long touchdown drives EVER, ESPECIALLY not against a team without its #1RB, #1WR (traded to Cowboys) and missing some OL too.  MAJOR kudos to the offense for so consistently competing under constant pressure and keeping the game close so Maniac could close it out for us.

What happened to the D today?  I know the Colts gave up a lot of points to the Jets, Patriots, Texans too, but the offense put the D in a ton of terrible spots in those games.  This game the O was lights-out.  So what was it?  To me it felt like a complete lack of pressure on Carr and good coaching by the Raiders to take advantage of it.

We can't stop decent QBs from completing passes, bottom line. Carr hit 17 in a row, for about 200 yards and 3 TDs. 

And that's become typical this season. Our pass defense is awful. I could stomach it if we tightened up in the red zone and kept teams from scoring TDs, but we haven't done that either. 

• Like 2

Just now, TheMarine said:

People have figured out the stunts, and teams know to pass to a check down who'll only have to break 1 tackle for a first down. If Im playing the Colts, I will just flare a RB for a check down, and play stacks. Colts wont cover, and I'll keep the ball away

They've actually had stretches where they've been flying to the ball and getting guys down right away. Teams are mixing it up pretty well and keeping the chains moving.

Just now, Superman said:

They've actually had stretches where they've been flying to the ball and getting guys down right away. Teams are mixing it up pretty well and keeping the chains moving.

And then theres days like today where they just dont. For every Redskins & Bills day, theres a Patriots or friggin Raiders day

I have been  very hard on the D as of late.  I find them regressing as a unit.  Early in the season teams didn't have much film to work with.  Now teams know what to expect from the D.  That being said.  If u looked at the D side of the ball it is mostly free agent cast offfs, undrafted free agents and low draft picks.  We are kind of getting what we paid for.  Our only high first round pick is Hooker.  We have a couple is 2nds at linebacker and corner.  I fully expect Ballard to concentrate most if not all of the teams resources into the D next year. That being the draft and free agency. All things considered you could say, they haven't played horribly when u consider all the factors.  I am trying to b positive haha

3 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I really dislike the Cover 2. If you don’t get pressure it’s too easy for WRs and RBs to find the soft spots.  Also our Secondary is bad. Major upgrades needed there. 

A. Walker had a bad game along with Franklin.

It's not my favorite defense, either. I'd prefer a man coverage scheme, but we don't have any corners that can be trusted in man. They line up wrong, play with bad technique, grab and hold too much, etc. 

This defense is going to give up completions and yards. The idea is that you fly to the ball and tackle well, and situationally, you get to the QB and force bad throws. Once the field gets compact down near the end zone, your coverage should naturally tighten up, and you can affect the QB at a higher rate. When it's humming, it can be kind of smothering. 

But the technique issues that prevent us from playing good man coverage undermine our zone coverage in the red zone also. 

• Like 4

Bad game, yes,  but overall, the D hasn't been bad this year.  Prior to today, they were near the top of the league in turnovers forced and sacks.  With the turnovers they have forced, this team should have more than three wins.  

The secondary is bad.  Add in no pass rush and the raiders line owning the Colts line and there wasn’t much the Colts could do against the raiders pass catchers other than hope they dropped it or Carr made a bad throw like he started to do late.  

Yes the Colts are much better at stopping the run than in the past and Leonard is special but there is still a lot of work to be done on defense.

• Like 1

The D is terrible, especially in the secondary.  The Raiders offense is not good.

The Colts will likely have to put up 30 or more a game to win most of the time....thankfully, the way the line, RBs and Luck are playing that will be doable most of the time.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's not my favorite defense, either. I'd prefer a man coverage scheme, but we don't have any corners that can be trusted in man. They line up wrong, play with bad technique, grab and hold too much, etc. 

This defense is going to give up completions and yards. The idea is that you fly to the ball and tackle well, and situationally, you get to the QB and force bad throws. Once the field gets compact down near the end zone, your coverage should naturally tighten up, and you can affect the QB at a higher rate. When it's humming, it can be kind of smothering. 

But the technique issues that prevent us from playing good man coverage undermine our zone coverage in the red zone also. 

That's exactly right... basically, it's the lesser of two evils.  This scheme tries to make up for no shutdown corners, spotty LB play outside of Leonard and it also is possible to use it because we have decent safeties (when healthy).  When our top safety is injured, it exposes it even more.  I hate it because the opposing teams lick their chops when preparing for it.  Big plays in the big zone coverage holes (when not played perfectly) results in 20 to 30 yard chunks.  Very hard to watch. The margin for error is razor thin with our current personnel.

It seems like that every slant play against our defense results in a gain for 10+ yards, The Jets did that to us, now the Raiders.

Our DL started hot this year, but since the Patriots game, they went back to the mediocre DL that we were last year.

Without Mitchell and Hooker helping, it exposed, even more, how bad and lack of talent our CBs are.

Our scheme is not working anymore since our DL basically regressed to last year. Ballard will either have to change the scheme to the defense or invest heavily on DL like he did with OL last year.

lol. 

The Raiders offense is literally spare parts. Doug Martin saw his first real action in a long time. Jalen Richard is a guy who is less and less efficient the farther away from the goal line you get, and who are they even playing at WR? Brandon Lafell? Martavis Bryant? 

Carr is the only decent thing they’ve got. And he’s pretty shaky at best. 

I kept saying in the game thread that receivers were just running open. Making catches with no defender in arm’s length. We weren’t getting any pass rush, but we really didn’t have time to. Carr was getting the ball out fairly quickly, usually because guys were just flat out open in the secondary. There was a 30 yards throw to Cook in the second half that he had to grab from the turf that should have been 6. Had he not had to catch it low and fall down giving the defender long enough to catch up and fall on him he would have easily had 6 points. 

The linebackers did alright yesterday, but the secondary should come in and work during the bye after that effort. 

Pretty much what everyone thought last off season honestly. We thought we'd have to outscore everyone, looks like we will.

They'll have some solid games, and then games like yesterday. They don't have enough yet on the Dline to be consistent.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Even if/when talent is upgraded on defense I don't think it will be very good because of the scheme. I don't like soft cover 2. Scheme needs to change.

Basically this is it....the scheme of tampa 2 is horrible....rb stay open in the flats and for some reason our DC doesn't send blitzes when he's supposed to....yes we are missing hooker but yesterday is a prime example on why we need more of an attacking 4-3 scheme like the eagles or vikings play

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

So tired of zone defense.

Play some man coverage at least once in awhile to try and keep ooposing O on their toes.

At least let the CB's jam the WR's at the line from time to time. Geesh 

But it’s easier to line up 7 yards off on 3rd and 3. 

The secondary was so bad Nate Hairston was benched after only 9 defensive snaps.

https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/hits-and-misses-colts-offense-explodes-consecutive-victories

-Secondary Play: Was it the loss of Malik Hooker that led to a struggling afternoon for the Indy secondary? Who knows, but the play from the defensive backs was a negative on Sunday. Starting cornerback Nate Hairston was benched after allowing a first-half touchdown. Hairston started, yet played just 9 defensive snaps on Sunday, as Pierre Desir took over for him and the Colts used Arthur Maulet in nickel packages. With Hooker out and then Mike Mitchell leaving the game in the third quarter, the Raiders found some success with a vertical passing game. Take out the anemic Bills, and the Colts have really, really struggled with their pass defense over the past month. Getting just one hit on Derek Carr didn’t help things either for the secondary on Sunday.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, you definitely can't give a QB like Carr time in the pocket. I don't follow raiders so not sure if he got injured last year or what but dude was a beast coming into the league. That team was steam rolling people

He's been pretty disappointing since 2016. He's seeing ghosts and throws way too many short passes that have no chance at gaining YAC.