Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could The Colts Actually Make the Playoffs?

WarGhost21

It seems that us, the fans, are our harshest critics, as I have seen many posts saying we look really good this season for a 2-5 team. For example:

Lots of positive notes, especially seeing as we aren't seen as definitive underdogs in any of our remaining games. Could this team continue its dominance this past week and push for 10 wins and a playoff berth?

:colts:

• Like 2

10 wins would mean no more than 1 loss the rest of the way. While I said yesterday that no team remaining on our schedule is in the top dozen NFL teams this year and are all more or less flawed teams, as of now, so is our team so going on that kind of streak isn't realistic expectation.. However, around 0.500 is very much in the reach. Maybe even 8-9 wins is enough to get the division title this year.

I think we could make it but lot of things neet to go our way. Jax locker room being mess is one of those things, lol.

Should have taken the tie against Houston. 

The injuries probably derailed what could have been a better start.

The Colts can lose once, maybe twice more if there's a postseason possibility. I wouldn't bank on it, but it's not totally impossible. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Very slim chance.   Houston would need to falter while we would need to win 7 of 9.   That would only get us to 9-7. 

6-10 or 7-9 is what I feel this team would be. I am not ready to get carried away by the Bills win. Let us see how the divisional games go after the bye week, that is what will make or break us.

• Like 4

At this point I would say our ceiling is 9-7.  Just based on injuries and the play makers we do have.  Although it is telling that there is only one team on our schedule with a winning record (Dolphins).  

Either way, it was a great game to watch yesterday and shows what this team can be when they start playing consistent balanced football.

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

Very slim chance.   Houston would need to falter while we would need to win 7 of 9.   That would only get us to 9-7. 

In no way shape or form does Houston's medicore team have any kind of control.  2 games seperate all 4 teams with 9 left to play.  It is, literally, anyone's division to win.

4 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

In no way shape or form does Houston's medicore team have any kind of control.  2 games seperate all 4 teams with 9 left to play.  It is, literally, anyone's division to win.

Houston has control.  They are a game up and have won 4 in a row.   They are playing pretty good ball and have a win over the Colts. 

10 minutes ago, NagelHausForge said:

At this point I would say our ceiling is 9-7.  Just based on injuries and the play makers we do have.  Although it is telling that there is only one team on our schedule with a winning record (Dolphins).  

Dolphins and the Texans.

With ease of schedule and a weak afc south there is no reason why not. We could get healthy at the right time for a playoff push as well. Getting guys back like Doyle and whichever IR returnees could pay dividends. 

Just now, krunk said:

Im just enjoying this win and hoping to get a similar performance against Oakland.  You can't get too far down the road with this team until they start stringing together back to back sharp performances.

Yep. 

And all the dread we felt in the wake of the loss to the Jets that we stood to feel in the wake of a loss to the Bills?

It would all flood right back with a loss to the Raiders. 

Or really any team left on the schedule except the Texans. 

Texans, like us have it easy as we were bad last year. TEN and JAX have it bit thougher but not much.

Houston remaining schedule

MIA

@DEN

@WAS

TEN

CLE

IND

@NYJ

@PHI

JAX

Jaguars

PHI

@IND

PIT

@BUF

IND

@TEN

WSH

@MIA

@HOU

Titans

@DAL

NE

@IND

@HOU

NYJ

JAX

@NYG

WAS

IND

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Yep. 

And all the dread we felt in the wake of the loss to the Jets that we stood to feel in the wake of a loss to the Bills?

It would all flood right back with a loss to the Raiders. 

Or really any team left on the schedule except the Texans. 

I got to see consistent sharp execution with these dudes before I start talking about what they can do.  My interest is peaked, but I know this bunch.  They'll go out to Oakland and play like they played against the Jets.  That's sort of what I expect until they prove me wrong.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Myles said:

Houston has control.  They are a game up and have won 4 in a row.   They are playing pretty good ball and have a win over the Colts. 

No, they don't, and no, they aren't.  

Is this your first year watching the NFL?  It's week 7, not week 17.  A one game lead at this point means absolutely nothing.

Eeking out one score wins over sub .500 teams is not "playing pretty good ball".  They are, literally, 3 plays away from being 1-6, and have looked unimpressive a vast majority of this season.  

Just now, MacDee1975 said:

Eeking out one score wins over sub .500 teams is not "playing pretty good ball".  They are, literally, 3 plays away from being 1-6, and have looked unimpressive a vast majority of this season.  

you could say something similar abut the colts too.  really no team in the division has been overly impressive, i guess that helps us though since we are behind

I want to see us go out to Oakland and get a decisive win.  Oakland is another team we should beat by at least 14 to 21 points.  To get to where we want to be we have to go in and choke out the teams that we know we should beat.  When we do that consistently I will get more optimistic about what is possible.

until we are mathematically eliminated than yes of course playoffs is a possibility.

Would i like to see us get to the playoffs and get destroyed by the ravens, steelers or patriots, of course. 

I think i would rather a high draft pick though.

• Like 1

(Posted in the wrong thread)

It does sort of sting that this was set up to be a rebuilding year...because the schedule looked fairly weak before the season...and has gotten much easier as time went on.

But despite that, I don't see any way they can make the playoffs. They would have to have near perfect health going forward...which we all know is very unlikely.

Also, this BUF game was a bit of a layup (very bad offense that became terrible once McCoy went out). Colts winning in dominant fashion is always encouraging...but that BUF team was awful...and after getting gashed a few times...it seemed like the defense gave up. The Colts always seem to have a game like this...where they put it all together...even in the Pagano years (NYJ, MIN come to mind). Need to see it more consistently.

A great win is a great win though. Let's see how they play OAK next week. Remember...they were down 3 scores at halftime or early 3rd quarter in the three games leading up to BUF...so it's hard to know which team will show up from week to week. 

• Like 2

Amazing what a win against the worst team in the NFL can do for our morale. Last week we were talking about a top 3 draft pick, and now we are talking about playoffs. 

Its certainly possible to make playoffs. Our schedule gets much easier, especially since JAX doesn’t look as good as advertised. If we can stay healthy and have an established, consistent  running game then we should push for a spot

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

No, they don't, and no, they aren't.  

Is this your first year watching the NFL?  It's week 7, not week 17.  A one game lead at this point means absolutely nothing.

I've been watching the NFL for a long time.   Long enough to know that the team with the most wins and a 4 game win streak has the control at this time.   Since this thread is about the Colts chances, the Texans have a 2 game lead over the Colts and have won the head to head matchup.   They currently have control.

I would say it's unlikely.  Not impossible but unlikely.

I would say we likely would need to win at least 10 games to get to the playoffs.   That means we could only realistically lose 1 more game.

After seeing this team throughout the season can you honestly say you think that is likely?

Remember the Bills was a perfect situation for the Colts to win.  Their QB had been with the team for like a week, the Bills where never that good anyways, especially due to their offense and it was at home.

I wouldn't get too high on the Colts because of this 1 win.  

• Like 3

I don't think so.  Not this year, I think the 1-5 hole is to much to climb out of.  Next year, I think they'll be back in pending any major injuries.  Every game left on the schedule is winnable but a lot has to happen in order for them to get in this year.  Luck is on fire, the running game has shown up the past few weeks and the defense played well against Buffalo(but they should have going against D Anderson).  I hope I am wrong, it'd be nice to knock off Oak then knock off the Jags at home going into the bye week.  Anything's possible I spose, but 1-5 is tough to come back from. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

I've been watching the NFL for a long time.   Long enough to know that the team with the most wins and a 4 game win streak has the control at this time.   Since this thread is about the Colts chances, the Texans have a 2 game lead over the Colts and have won the head to head matchup.   They currently have control.

I specifically commented on your ignorant statement that the Texans are playing good ball and have control of the division.  I made no commentary on the Colts chances.

They aren't playing good ball, if you would bother to watch them at all, and they certainly don't have control of the division on week 7 of the NFL season.

13 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

I specifically commented on your ignorant statement that the Texans are playing good ball and have control of the division.  I made no commentary on the Colts chances.

They aren't playing good ball, if you would bother to watch them at all, and they certainly don't have control of the division on week 7 of the NFL season.

You are wrong again.   Your making that a habit.    You like to throw insults in there too.   Very mature.  

We'll  have to agree to disagree.   I think the Texans 2 game lead over the Colts and the only winning record in the division IS having control of the division at the moment.   They also have a weaker schedule than the Jags and Texans.   

Why not?

We're 2 games back with 9 to play and one left with division leader.(Darn, that tie would have been nice)

We have the best qb in division.

We have best OL in division.

We have the best playmaking RB in division.

We have the best HC in division.

We have the best GM in division.

It's do-able!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1