Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

if the Colts grab a player on waivers, what position will it be?

Hoose

I'm thinking Ballard will make a move after final cutdowns. Perhaps several. Obviously, it depends on what is available, but there are some positions more needy than others. And also some positions where the shortage of good players (O-line) means a less likely pickup. 

My hope: 

1. RT

2. WR

3. S

4. RB

With the move to grab the CB from Green Bay, I think this position goes off the "most needed list". RT is clearly the biggest need but the most the Colts can hope for is improved depth. They still need it though. Same for the other positions. 

15 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I'm thinking Ballard will make a move after final cutdowns. Perhaps several. Obviously, it depends on what is available, but there are some positions more needy than others. And also some positions where the shortage of good players (O-line) means a less likely pickup. 

My hope: 

1. RT

2. WR

3. S

4. RB

With the move to grab the CB from Green Bay, I think this position goes off the "most needed list". RT is clearly the biggest need but the most the Colts can hope for is improved depth. They still need it though. Same for the other positions. 

Considering all the holes on this team, safety is a strange pick for your #3.

my list:

OT

WR

CB

LB

RB

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard is going to make our heads spin with a large number of claims.  I think he is really going to be active.

Could be.  I guess the good thing is that there may be OT released who are better than our possible starter at RT.  But that just says how bad we look at that spot.  Even if it’s better depth, that’s a plus.  

• Like 2

I think the talentpool for RT this year is going to be too small to find a worthwhile upgrade.

Same for WR there just aren't that many standout UDFA  that i've seen in the pre-season games i watched and that are also on teams that would cut them.

Which leads me to believe that a RB is going to be the most noteworthy pick-up were going to do.

The rookie safeties especially the box safety play looked good for lots of teams this preseason and after 2 strong safety drafts there coudl also be some potential to grab there. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Could be.  I guess the good thing is that there may be OT released who are better than our possible starter at RT.  But that just says how bad we look at that spot.  Even if it’s better depth, that’s a plus.  

I would think getting a player better than Haag, Clark, Howard or Webb is pretty high for a tackle spot. 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would think getting a player better than Haag, Clark, Howard or Webb is pretty high for a tackle spot. 

Not sure what you mean.  Howard will (should) be cut, Webb is slow as molasses.  Haeg should make the team based on his versatility.  Clark has to be on the bubble.

I’m saying there will be players cut who are already better than at least two of those guys.  

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not sure what you mean.  Howard will (should) be cut, Webb is slow as molasses.  Haeg should make the team based on his versatility.  Clark has to be on the bubble.

I’m saying there will be players cut who are already better than at least two of those guys.  

I'm saying the likelihood is they would be better than all four.  Haag's versatility is way overblown.  He is not good at any position and I worry about Luck's health when he is out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

My hope: 

1. RT

2. WR

3. S

4. RB

WR

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

My hope: 

1. RT

2. WR

3. S

4. RB

1st on that should be RT next is receiver.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

1st on that should be RT next is receiver.

A RT should be the first move then a legit number 2 receiver.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Every team is going to have 2 starting OTs and a backup. 

I doubt that any T getting released is going to be better than who we would put out there between the best of Webb, Haeg, Smith, or Good.

Agreed, especially when tackle play around the league is probably as bad as it's ever been. Any OT worth a lick wont make it to waivers.

RB is probably the position where you could see the most impactful guys cut.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Agreed, especially when tackle play around the league is probably as bad as it's ever been. Any OT worth a lick wont make it to waivers.

Or WR since we will carry 4 or 5 on the roster.  Rogers is our best WR behind TY?  That's awful.

43 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Agreeed. 

behind that I think would go LB, CB and SS/FS. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I'm saying the likelihood is they would be better than all four.  Haag's versatility is way overblown.  He is not good at any position and I worry about Luck's health when he is out there. 

I actually agree with this. Is it still considered versatility if you are bad at all of the positions? I don't mean to bury the guy, but he has been rather disappointing. 

I am not related to Haeg, but again, I must disagree with all this Haeg bashing. 2 different coaching staffs in his short career seem to think he is capable of playing anywhere along the o-line. Does anyone know how hard it is to play all 5 positions of o-line in the nfl? Did anyone notice Howard got pulled after the first series against the niners and never saw the field the rest of the game? And he started all 16 games for the Ravens last year?????

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Odds of you getting a legit number 2 off waivers is non existent 

Don't even have to go waivers.

The perfect #2 to TY is Dez.

They complement each other so well. Almost perfect combo in my opinion.

Imagine how excited he would be catching the ball from Luck.

Big difference between Dak and Luck.

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

Dez Bryant cant get open anymore. That's why Dallas let him go

• Like 2

Dallas let him go because he wouldn't take a pay cut.

Lot easier to get open being #2 guy on a team. He drew the most attention on a team with mediocre WR's(Williams, Beasley, Butler) outside of him. Dak usually is pretty safe with the ball so if coverage is rolled toward Dez, he will look elsewhere and not risk the tough throw. 

As has been stated on the forum. Rogers is our second best WR(until Grant shows us something). That is ridiculous and unacceptable. Whatever you think about Dez, he is better than any of our WR not named Hilton, and could probaly be had for a $5-$7m 1yr prove it deal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hoose said:

My hope: 

1. RT

2. WR

3. S

4. RB

This isn't a question that is definable by position. If a good player is available I expect Ballard will make a play. Otherwise if no good players at positions of need are available then there is no point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Lot easier to get open being #2 guy on a team. He drew the most attention on a team with mediocre WR's(Williams, Beasley, Butler) outside of him. Dak usually is pretty safe with the ball so if coverage is rolled toward Dez, he will look elsewhere and not risk the tough throw. 

As has been stated on the forum. Rogers is our second best WR(until Grant shows us something). That is ridiculous and unacceptable. Whatever you think about Dez, he is better than any of our WR not named Hilton, and could probaly be had for a $5-$7m 1yr prove it deal.

Rogers is looking like he can step up big time. 

Dez is not good anymore, last season you could see him slow down. Plus if he doesn't get his way he will try to corrupt the locker room. That is not something that would be beneficial to a young team coming off a bad season.  

Lets Rogers and whoever else makes the team play and have the coaches develop them. 

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

I am not related to Haeg, but again, I must disagree with all this Haeg bashing. 2 different coaching staffs in his short career seem to think he is capable of playing anywhere along the o-line. Does anyone know how hard it is to play all 5 positions of o-line in the nfl? Did anyone notice Howard got pulled after the first series against the niners and never saw the field the rest of the game? And he started all 16 games for the Ravens last year?????

Howard Mudd who knows a little about OL play is a fan of Haeg too. It may be the group that wants to cut Castonzo every year then move him to RT when that doesn't happen. Good who can't stay on the field and isn't all that when he's  out there is favored by many. Go figure. 

I would be looking hard OL and LB and anyone who can get after the QB. The fact is it's possible we find more talented players at every group except QB and TE. We probably aren't finding immediate upgrades to our starters but depth rotational guys could come to any group. 

I'm not as concerned at WR as some. I've seen Grant play in Washington and like the Chester and the young guys. It doesn't surprise me Grant has been quiet but the coaches like him. That's the book on him. I am more comfortable at CB then others. I want to see young guys play. It's the only way to really see what you have.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, w87r said:

For whatever it's worth,  Dez was interviewed after being cut and was asked about the money.

He said Dallas never even brought up the subject.     They didn't ask,  and he didn't turn them down.        Though he did say if they did ask he would've turned them down.

But he stressed,  he wasn't asked.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Remember a team like Minnesota has starting WR's like Diggs (5th round and Thielen, (undrafted free agent)     Guys like that can be found.

But the other issue is this....

After Hilton leads the team in receptions,  the next person will be Doyle and the person after that will be Ebron.    Reich loves the TE's we have.      4th and 5th will be Rogers and Grant, or Grant and Rogers.     I don't think the situaiton is as bad as you make it out to be.

Don't like at the WR's and TE's as a separate group.    Look at all the receivers as one group.   We don't look too terrible then.      Just a different perspective.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember a team like Minnesota has starting WR's like Diggs (5th round and Thielen, (undrafted free agent)     Guys like that can be found.

After Hilton leads the team in receptions,  the next person will be Doyle and the person after that will be Ebron.    Reich loves the TE's we have.      4th and 5th will be Rogers and Grant, or Grant and Rogers.     I don't think the situaiton is as bad as you make it out to be.

Don't like at the WR's and TE's as a separate group.    Look at all the receivers as one group.   We don't look too terrible then.      Just a different perspective.

Agree with this completely. Yes, Chester Rogers as the 2nd option might not look all that great, but as the 4th? Yeah, I'll take it. Plus, I expect some more screens and catches out of the backfield for the running backs (especially once Mack gets healthy). 

Plus, I actually think Rogers is going to be pretty good this season. He had some nice plays against the Ravens and 9ers. He's the kind of guy who I think Reich can scheme open, along with Grant, who I still have some hope for. Obviously everyone of the receivers will benefit from the opening of the playbook, but Rogers and Grant especially. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Other than QB I don't think there is one position over the other when it comes to Ballard finding better talent.

We may be in need of certain positions but that don't mean those positions will become available.

We need depth at every position so keeping an eye out on cut players and also players on practice squads is essential.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Great point.......!

I think you will see Ebron and Doyle on the field for over half the snaps

Ebron will line in the slot in many cases

We also have other TEs that can line up in the slot

We wont need 3 WRs on the field as much......

WR isnt deep, but we may have ENOUGH for now

• Like 1

9 hours ago, w87r said:

Dez is washed up.

To answer the OP, I believe position number 1 needs to be RT

Its not a waiver, but I would consider a 3rd or 4th round pick in the draft if  someone worthy comes available for trade at RT..... Its that important to this team.. someone that can actually play

We could find a stop gap aging veteran, to cover this season, via cut, but dont trust the availability

I still am a bit concerned with depth at LBs, and S

I would be looking for these as well

With the amount of rookies that will be playing......AND the OL being so unsettled this close to season start....  its going to be a crazy year

• Like 2