Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offensive Line Take Two.....

Scott Pennock

Does everyone believe this to be a servicable line, especially with a change in offensive philosophy?

LT - Castonzo

LG - Slauson (0 sacks allowed last year)

C - Kelly

RG - Mewhort

RT - Good? (CB had great praise for him last year)

Depth:

T - Burwell

T/G - Clark

T/G - Haeg

G - Glowinski

C - Fabiano

C - Bond

Drafted Rookie Tackle

Drafted Rookie Guard

5 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

LT-Castonzo

LG-Slauson

C-Kelly

RG-Mewhort

RT-Rookie (rd 2 pick)

I really like Quenton Nelson but these FA signings are making it seem less likely...

Not to mention CB said you can find good linemen in the second round .... I think it’s more likely we take Chubb at 6!

11 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Not to mention CB said you can find good linemen in the second round .... I think it’s more likely we take Chubb at 6!

I think it really depends on how the board falls.  If Chubb and Barkley are both gone, I think they'll go Nelson.  If Chubb is still on the board, I think they'll go chubb

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I’m not criticizing your post so if Chubb isn’t there and Nelson is, what does CB do now? I don’t think 2 guys (one 32 and the other with chronic knee concerns) picked up on 1 yr deals will dictate who we select. Saying that, if CB does feel that way, and he feels he can get talent in the second and later (they all say it and yet here we are how many years post Tarik Glenn) maybe Wynn or Price could be an option as a pick up. Maybe the option of the trade down if a QB is left for a Buffalo trade down collecting another 1 and 2 could happen. 

My take is if Nelson is there, get the solid top 3 pick at 6 and get a solid 5 yr starter for Luck. I am not going to be mad if they pick Chubb for sure. I’ll be ok too if they make that trade and get one of those top 3 lb’ers and maybe even McGlinchey. I just feel like this year, the board can fall so many different ways and most all should make us better regardless. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think it really depends on how the board falls.  If Chubb and Barkley are both gone, I think they'll go Nelson.  If Chubb is still on the board, I think they'll go chubb

A QB is going to go 1-3 possibly 1-4 .... barkley/Chubb/Nelson maybe barkley will be gone but Chubb will be available at 6

Back to the topic of the OP.

Yes, a serviceable line with the new scheme and plan (hopefully) for quicker pass routes/plays so our QB isn't holding the ball too long.  You could have 5 HOF lineman, but they can't pass protect forever.

Might be another player or two added before the draft, but I think we at least draft 2 OL somewhere in rounds 2 - 4.

39 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Does everyone believe this to be a servicable line, especially with a change in offensive philosophy?

LT - Castonzo

C - Kelly

RG - Mewhort

Depth:

T - Burwell

T/G - Clark

T/G - Haeg

G - Glowinski

C - Fabiano

C - Bond

Drafted Rookie Tackle

Drafted Rookie Guard

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  We don't even know if Slauson or Mewhort make the final 53, much less start.

Before anyone jumps on me, let not forget the Todd Herremens 'solution' from a few years back. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’m not criticizing your post so if Chubb isn’t there and Nelson is, what does CB do now? I don’t think 2 guys (one 32 and the other with chronic knee concerns) picked up on 1 yr deals will dictate who we select. Saying that, if CB does feel that way, and he feels he can get talent in the second and later (they all say it and yet here we are how many years post Tarik Glenn) maybe Wynn or Price could be an option as a pick up. Maybe the option of the trade down if a QB is left for a Buffalo trade down collecting another 1 and 2 could happen. 

My take is if Nelson is there, get the solid top 3 pick at 6 and get a solid 5 yr starter for Luck. I am not going to be mad if they pick Chubb for sure. I’ll be ok too if they make that trade and get one of those top 3 lb’ers and maybe even McGlinchey. I just feel like this year, the board can fall so many different ways and most all should make us better regardless. 

Your good we all have our opinions here! 

I dont disagree .... if Nelson is there and Chubb/barkley is gone then yeah grab him. CB has already stated he doesn’t want to move out of the top 10 so I believe a buffalo trade is out of the ? UNLESS they offer a kings randsom like their 1st this year, their seconds this year and a first and second next year .... then I say HELL YES! 

but the way I THINK it’ll go down ...

1. Darnold

2. Giants take Rosen/Allen/mayfield or trade for bills and bills take one of the 3.

3. Jets take Rosen/Allen/mayfield 

4. Browns take Barkley 

5. Broncos take Rosen/Allen/mayfield 

( I don’t know order in which they will be taken )

6. Colts have a choice between Nelson or Chubb and they select chubb seeing as CB has said he can find linemen in the second round and Chubb will improve our def dramatically. 

54 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

LT - Castonzo

C - Kelly

RG - Mewhort

Depth:

T - Burwell

T/G - Clark

T/G - Haeg

G - Glowinski

C - Fabiano

C - Bond

Drafted Rookie Tackle

Drafted Rookie Guard

I think Haeg starts over Good!

• Like 1

The starters are kinda okay if healthy (big if).  Not too comfortable with Good at RT but he's not god awful either.  I might prefer Haeg to start there, but I don't mind him in the Joe Reitz "plug in anywhere but center" depth role.

I expect 2 OL within our first 5 picks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  We don't even know if Slauson or Mewhort make the final 53, much less start.

Before anyone jumps on me, let not forget the Todd Herremens 'solution' from a few years back. 

Yep...everyone seems to have forgotton the Herremans signing...which was a disaster. And I'd argue that Herremans had a much better track record.

And we don't even have to go back further than last year to the Schwenke deal, which is very similar to the Slauson signing...a cheap interior OL player who has played C and OG. Difference of course is that Schwenke was still young and was on a prove-it deal to get a long-term contract. Slauson is near the end of his career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bananabucket said:

The starters are kinda okay if healthy (big if).  Not too comfortable with Good at RT but he's not god awful either.  I might prefer Haeg to start there, but I don't mind him in the Joe Reitz "plug in anywhere but center" depth role.

I expect 2 OL within our first 5 picks.

I'm hoping the same.  2 OL in first 5 picks.  Hopefully Chubb at rd1 and then a OG / LB / DT in round 2  OT in 3rd round / RB in 4th 

As a one year signing, Mewhort has to "prove it" with regard to his knees. That being said with a successful return and finding another tackle this can be a fairly good offensive line. I also believe Luck's return will reduce blitzes and sacks. Plus there will be decent depth for when the inevitable injuries occurs. Jacoby did a decent job but rookies who hesitate get sacked. 

I wouldn't mind getting Mike McGlinchey at #6.  Most will say it is a reach, but OT is really hard to find, and McGlinchey reminds me of Andrew Whitworth.  He isn't pretty, but he would be a rock at RT for the next ten years.  I'm sure Hernandez will go in the first round after an amazing combine.  Maybe trade up to get Hernandez and take McGlinchey in the first.  I'm worried why Slauson was let go if he would sign that cheap.  Why wasn't he re-signed if he was that cheap?  A lot of tackles after Mcglinchey look  more like tight ends.  6-8, 6-9 guys barley pushing 300 pounds.  No leverage at all and weak as kittens.

17 minutes ago, PowerballBlue said:

I wouldn't mind getting Mike McGlinchey at #6.  Most will say it is a reach, but OT is really hard to find, and McGlinchey reminds me of Andrew Whitworth.  He isn't pretty, but he would be a rock at RT for the next ten years.  I'm sure Hernandez will go in the first round after an amazing combine.  Maybe trade up to get Hernandez and take McGlinchey in the first.  I'm worried why Slauson was let go if he would sign that cheap.  Why wasn't he re-signed if he was that cheap?  A lot of tackles after Mcglinchey look  more like tight ends.  6-8, 6-9 guys barley pushing 300 pounds.  No leverage at all and weak as kittens.

He isn't worth it at #6 i rather take nelson or chubb or minkah Fitzpatrick there

26 minutes ago, PowerballBlue said:

Thought I had seen that McGlinchey was getting a late 1st/early 2nd grade. If that holds true we could get him with our first in the 2nd, and Nelson 1st. Hell get EQ StBrown in 3rd. (huge ND fan also:)

6 hours ago, csmopar said:

Completely agree with this.  My preference as well:  Chubb, Barkley then Nelson.  

I've seen McGlinchey going as high as 12th.  He is the top listed tackle on the board.  I really doubt he'd fall to the second round.  After McGlinchey, there are not any tackles I'd take in the top three rounds.  There are some backup types I'd take in the 4th or 5th, but that's it.  I'd Love Nelson, but guards are easy to find, and I don't want to be stuck with Good or a scrub in the second round.  If we take Chubb, we lose out on guards and tackles because Hernandez and Wynn are both projected in the first by many.  Billy Winn might slip to us in the second, but after that, scrubs and backups.  It is frustrating to have all those second round picks and such lousy talent in the OL and CB prospects.  Hopefully we grab some linebackers, because the best potential in round two are running backs and wide receivers.

1 hour ago, PowerballBlue said:

I've seen McGlinchey going as high as 12th.  He is the top listed tackle on the board.  I really doubt he'd fall to the second round.  After McGlinchey, there are not any tackles I'd take in the top three rounds.  There are some backup types I'd take in the 4th or 5th, but that's it.  I'd Love Nelson, but guards are easy to find, and I don't want to be stuck with Good or a scrub in the second round.  If we take Chubb, we lose out on guards and tackles because Hernandez and Wynn are both projected in the first by many.  Billy Winn might slip to us in the second, but after that, scrubs and backups.  It is frustrating to have all those second round picks and such lousy talent in the OL and CB prospects.  Hopefully we grab some linebackers, because the best potential in round two are running backs and wide receivers.

at least 1 of Hernandez, Wynn and Price should be available for our 2nd pick  if not then I'd be shocked if Mcglinchey, Williams and K. Miller are also gone I really really doubt 6 OL go in the first 40 picks and if they do all go someone on D will have fallen to scoop up.

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

If Chubb and Barkley are both gone it likely means a QB like Allen or Mayfield is still there. Trade back likely an option.

Thats what's good for the Colts. Either the top rated players are there, or a QB, allowing em to trade back

A Generational QB who got completely anihilated during his brief tenure & is still trying to come back from an injury that some say is career threatening & were actually arguing what our priorities in the draft may be?  AS IS, Ryan Kelly is the only player that would start on 31 other teams & let’s not forget the terrible yr AC had at LT. If our first 3 picks are not OL, you all should be worried.  Fool me once...

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yep...everyone seems to have forgotton the Herremans signing...which was a disaster. And I'd argue that Herremans had a much better track record.

And we don't even have to go back further than last year to the Schwenke deal, which is very similar to the Slauson signing...a cheap interior OL player who has played C and OG. Difference of course is that Schwenke was still young and was on a prove-it deal to get a long-term contract. Slauson is near the end of his career.

A Generational QB that is barely coming back from a potential career ending injury & were still talking % line.  If we don’t draft 2 OL with the first 3 picks, I will completely lose it.  Honestly expected a ligit OL signed in FA so didn’t have to spend multiple picks in draft but here we go diff staff same nonsense.  Protect LUCK should be our biggest concern.

12 hours ago, csmopar said:

That's my opinion too. I know Ballard said trades were still possible but I don't see us trading down anymore out of the sixth pick. I think he wants to stay where we are at.

17 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah don't know why people are putting him at RG he's good at LG

17 hours ago, CR91 said:

Why would we move mewhort from LG? 

Because the LG is usually a more mobile guard than the RG.  I am not sure how mobile Slauson is, but Mewort is not very mobile,  he doesn't pull well, IMO.

I'm an advocate that Mewhort could be slid out to RT if it makes sense and play well.  When we did that before, he was moved back not because of his own bad play but because the other guys we had  on the inside where getting Luck killed. 

So say we draft Nelson

Castanzo - Nelson - Kelly - Slauson - Mewhort

Haeg and Good can be our primary backups.  

My question is. . . say Kelly goes down.  Do you rotate Slauson over to center and put Haeg or Good in at RG or do you put Bond in for Kelly and roll?