Colts sign Eric Ebron (merge)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

If he gets 7.5 mil a year, then he deserved it because that's max value...

He deserves whatever he can earn no matter what I think. I’m happy for him to get a chance and make some great money. I don’t like the signing but Ballard is in charge and I have no idea how Reich will use him. I do believe the TE for the eagles tore it up so maybe there is a big emphasis.  Guess I will wait and see

2 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Kind of makes me think Ballard doesn't have a plan and whiffed on everyone else.  

This is such a lame signing.  

No excuse to not have paid Melvin or Hankins.  

We don't need Ebron and honestly I don't think he helps at all. 

So youre happy trotting out Doyle and a bunch of nobodies?  Ebron is actually more of a weapon than Doyle, though Doyle is more reliable.  We now have a very solid TE pairing and still have a billion dollars in cap space.

I get being nonplussed by this, but that anyone would complain about this makes no sense to me,

1 minute ago, ricker182 said:

Kind of makes me think Ballard doesn't have a plan and whiffed on everyone else.  

This is such a lame signing.  

No excuse to not have paid Melvin or Hankins.  

We don't need Ebron and honestly I don't think he helps at all. 

Stop with Melvin he wanted way more money from us than what he signed for.. He wasn't worth what he asked the Colts for, and Hankins wasn't about money. 

1 minute ago, Bluefire4 said:

Ebron was cut so he doesn't factor into compensation picks. Only UFAs are factored so nothing should change for us with this signing.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

EE was

Thanks guys. Then this is basically a somewhat risk-free signing over 2 years without any drawbacks. Hard not to like it.

14 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Wow.  I prefer Swoope. If Ebron couldn’t get it going with Stafford then I don’t see him producing here enough to justify 7.5 million a year

I doubt the first year is 7.5. Probably more like 4-5 which means we can always cut him if he doesn't perform

I like the signing. Ebron has the physical tools, but he has to stay focused and learn the little details to win consistently. Right now he just relies on his athleticism to get open. If he can understand leverage and positioning, he could be really good. The drops are mostly focus drops from what I have seen. 

6 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Swoop may get cut now.

I hope not.  What's wrong with a little competition and depth? 

Lion fans were happy when they released Ebron because of his drops and for not being a red zone threat.  I believe the Colts need to keep Swoope around and let these guys compete for the job. May the best man win.  It's not like Ballard hasn't had to release a free agent or draft mistake before.

25 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

That's not a high price, either......

We don't really have a big WR...but this guy is not an in-line tithgt end.at all..

He's basically a big possession WR.

He will do very, very well with us..just like Doyle has..    Strong pick up ..and its saves us using draft choices on tight ends..He;s only 26

5 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Swoop may get cut now.

He's not signed for much so we should at least let him compete in training camp. Someone has to win that third spot. We have Swoope, Darrel Daniels, Ross Travis, and we brought back Moe Allie-Cox so he's going to have to earn his spot.

4 minutes ago, Qcolts said:

I like the signing. Ebron has the physical tools, but he has to stay focused and learn the little details to win consistently. Right now he just relies on his athleticism to get open. If he can understand leverage and positioning, he could be really good. The drops are mostly focus drops from what I have seen. 

Hopefully our coaches can straighten him out.  Ballard must see something.

27 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Wow.  I prefer Swoope. If Ebron couldn’t get it going with Stafford then I don’t see him producing here enough to justify 7.5 million a year

I agree Swoope and Doyle are more than good enough this guy is Dwayne Allen all over again he couldn't catch a cold most of the time. Also just to throw it out there tight end is the least of this teams problems.

I got to pay a lot of attention to Ebron over the years since he’s a guy I stashed in a dynasty fantasy league. He was a guy that statistically was ascending a lot before last year. Many people expected him to make the big big jump last year to become one of the top-10, upper echelon TEs. 

That fell apart quickly. He lost a lot of

playing time as the lions played Fells more due to his blocking prowess and 3-down capability. What didn’t make sense about this is that there were rumors in the preseason that the Lions were finalllllly going to use Ebron right as a flex Wr type TE. Think Hernandez in his prime before he threw it all away. 

He never got the snaps last year to make an impact. And he dropped too many passes. 

He has the talent to seriously be a top-10 TE. I will look forward to seeing how we utilize him. The eagles and chargers have both used a lot of 2-TE pairings. So Ebron could be big here. 

Nicely done. 24 years old , and has a ton of untapped potential. Can he reach it? Who knows , but I love the rationale. 

This is the exact rationale that made me want us to sign Sammy Watkins , but Kansas City offered a ludicrous contract.

Let’s see what happens, the upside is enormous and if it doesn’t work out , I’m sure Ballard structured the contract so we can get out of it after a year.

Really like the move.