Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LB Korey Toomer visiting Colts today

TKnight24

This seems to be the plan folks, get used to it, accept it, embrace it, love it. 

2nd wave FA, not the big fish. May get a splash signing like Suh, but we’ll see. Definitely looks like this is the mold Ballard is going with. Build through the draft, get middle tier FA to come in and compete with the rest 

• Like 3

Loved Toomer in San Diego.

Would be happy to have him here.

He was great filling in in 2016. Last year he was only average as a fill-in. But that said, SD's LBs all struggled last year. Perryman was hurt and Jatavis Brown (who i thought was going to be a stud) kinda fizzled out too.

Toomer would be a solid addition and based on his age (29), he shouldn't cost a ton

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

This seems to be the plan folks, get used to it, accept it, embrace it, love it. 

2nd wave FA, not the big fish. May get a splash signing like Suh, but we’ll see. Definitely looks like this is the mold Ballard is going with. Build through the draft, get middle tier FA to come in and compete with the rest 

If people are surprised, that's their own fault. Ballard has said as much since pretty much when he got here

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

I understand everyone's anxiety watching everyone else play, and we're seemingly watching from afar, but I do agree with the plan, which isn't that far off of Grigson's plan, BTW. 

Grigson's problem was he reached too much in the draft, and drafted too many projects. You can't do that with this plan. Not in the early rounds. You have to hit on the early picks, at least.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I understand everyone's anxiety watching everyone else play, and we're seemingly watching from afar, but I do agree with the plan, which isn't that far off of Grigson's plan, BTW. 

Grigson's problem was he reached too much in the draft, and drafted too many projects. You can't do that with this plan. Not in the early rounds. You have to hit on the early picks, at least.

That's right.  We don't 'win' the trade with the Jets until we know the extra draft picks will be contributors.  No matter who's drafting, it's always a crap shoot whether a player works out or not. 

Ballard hit on all of them last year, except for Banner.  And we probably have to lay that on the scouts.  He was worth a shot as a project, but not at that high of a pick.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Reached/completely sucked.....yes, I agree.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That's right.  We don't 'win' the trade with the Jets until we know the extra draft picks will be contributors.  No matter who's drafting, it's always a crap shoot whether a player works out or not. 

Ballard hit on all of them last year, except for Banner.  And we probably have to lay that on the scouts.  He was worth a shot as a project, but not at that high of a pick.

The 'win' on the additional draft picks, at this point, can only be that they'll be a lower cost than busting on FA. When we get faces to the numbers, and numbers on the field, we'll start to get an idea of their real value.

Banner? Yeah, it's going to happen, but he should have been taken later.

2 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

Loved Toomer in San Diego.

Would be happy to have him here.

He was great filling in in 2016. Last year he was only average as a fill-in. But that said, SD's LBs all struggled last year. Perryman was hurt and Jatavis Brown (who i thought was going to be a stud) kinda fizzled out too.

Toomer would be a solid addition and based on his age (29), he shouldn't cost a ton

I definitely remember his pick 6 in that blowout against BUF last season. I had just picked up SD's defense and also used them in DFS that week. They went off.

Keenan Allen also blew up that game if I recall, which started a monster 3-4 game run.

I think this could get done. There is just no way Ballard heads into the draft without bringing in at least one established MIKE or WILL for a 4-3 defense. Is Toomer better suited for ILB or OLB?

I also really like Kendricks from PHI as a potential trade target.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

I’m all for it ..... bring in the competition! #believeinballard

4 hours ago, buccolts said:

Very well said draft wise, but if comparing plans, Grigson was still pretty active in signing or trading for some pretty notable players. But, in fairness, after going 11-5 in his first season, it's reasonable that he went into free agencies going for a championship after that.

1 hour ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Nope don't want him to old 29 no nope i don't wanna go down that road against.

So the Colts don't need a veteran or two? Especially at LB?  

You chastise a lot considering you don't have a clue as to what a NFL team needs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

If people are surprised, that's their own fault. Ballard has said as much since pretty much when he got here

To be fair (and not argumentative) Ballard did go after Poe last year (one of the more sought after FA last year) and Norwell this year - so he is willing to go after big name, high priced free agents. He's just not willing to break the bank for them, and that's fine.

If Ballard pursued those high priced, well known Free Agents, then of course people would want him to pursue and hopefully acquire some other ones. It's fair to have expectations based on what he's said AND by his actions.

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

We don't 'win' the trade with the Jets until we know the extra draft picks will be contributors. 

Exactly right SRE,

It's not about the volume of picks, but what picks are difference makers immediately. I wish the Browns would learn this lesson. They rack up picks like crazy & then always pull the trigger on the wrong rookie minus Joe Thomas & Josh Gordon of course. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

We will just see if his plan works or he falls flat on his face.

We won't know for a couple years.  In the meantime, I'm completely on board with building through the draft and rolling over financial resources for free agents for a year.  We aren't ready to threaten for the AFC championship this coming year, anyway.

My only hope and expectation is that we add at least one or two top notch offensive linemen to protect Luck throughout this process.

6 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

Let’s get this done!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IinD said:

You know times are hard in Colt land when we're hoping  for these types signings...

These types of signings? You mean a veteran who has played very well with another team?

As bad as our LBs have been you have a problem with bringing this guy in? 

Sorry, I don't agree.

Just now, IinD said:

No need to protect the colts honor on this one. Just stating how we went from hoping for the top fa's to these type fa's. 

Hopefully it works out.

It's not a point of protecting the Colts honor. Sorry you took it that way.

My comment was self explanatory.

I guess this roster don't need depth either.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not a point of protecting the Colts honor. Sorry you took it that way.

My comment was self explanatory.

I guess this roster don't need depth either.

I just dislike these 3 teams in 4 years type players. They have such a low hit percentage. I understand we've still got to field a team though. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IinD said:

I just dislike these 3 teams in 4 years type players. They have such a low hit percentage. I understand we've still got to field a team though. 

I don't think anyone is saying he is going to set the league on fire. My only point is if we can bring a LB in that can be a part of a rotation or play a down or two in certain situations and be effective he is worth a contract.

Hell, if he can tackle that is better than we have seen over the last couple of years out of our LBs.

His stats seem to say he can tackle.

This looks like a guy, who we can put on the field and will be serviceable. And he can also be cut in september if Ballard will draft a top LB prospect.

I will watch this years draft very closely. So far I think Ballard proved himself as a scout. He found serviceable to good free agents last time mostly for bargain price, and his first draft looks promising. There's a good chance that he hit it with Hooker and Wilson. And found good players in Mack and Hairston. Basham is not a lost case neither (yet).

If he hits it this year too, I'll buy a season ticket for his bandwagon.

9 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I think this could get done. There is just no way Ballard heads into the draft without bringing in at least one established MIKE or WILL for a 4-3 defense. Is Toomer better suited for ILB or OLB?

I also really like Kendricks from PHI as a potential trade target.

I know this is pure speculation since he has mostly played in the Charger's 3-4 defense as an ILB before.

However, last year he often got a lot of burn and last year the Chargers made the move to a more conventional 4-3.

I believe (though I cannot be 100% sure) that he played mostly WLB and nickel LB

Perryman was their MIKE before getting hurt. And I believe Jatavis Brown played a little bit of MIKE before getting replaced with Hayes Pullard.

Then I think it was a lot of mixing of their LBs.

I think Toomer played Weak Side more. Either way, I would imagine he would likely be an OLB for us more-so than a deep zone covering MIKE type.

But he would be a solid depth signing who could definitely start for us if no better options are drafted.

He has had to fight for all the playing time he got in SD over the years, so I would want a guy like that who fights and competes for time here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomDiggs said:

I know this is pure speculation since he has mostly played in the Charger's 3-4 defense as an ILB before.

However, last year he often got a lot of burn and last year the Chargers made the move to a more conventional 4-3.

I believe (though I cannot be 100% sure) that he played mostly WLB and nickel LB

Perryman was their MIKE before getting hurt. And I believe Jatavis Brown played a little bit of MIKE before getting replaced with Hayes Pullard.

Then I think it was a lot of mixing of their LBs.

I think Toomer played Weak Side more. Either way, I would imagine he would likely be an OLB for us more-so than a deep zone covering MIKE type.

But he would be a solid depth signing who could definitely start for us if no better options are drafted.

He has had to fight for all the playing time he got in SD over the years, so I would want a guy like that who fights and competes for time here.

That part about the guys having to fight for their spot- that is what I believe breeds greatness, which is what I like about Ballard.

• Like 1