Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hitchens to Chiefs

2 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Yet it was a lock that he was coming to the Colts. Take all articles with a grain of salt. Money talks.

So true. I wrote something similar in the Norwell 'down to three teams' report.

Oh well.

Chiefs are over paying by a good $2 million. Ballard seems like he is sticking strong to his guns about not overpaying. Not really surprising as he was quite reluctant to pay Hankins $10 million per year. 

Hopefully we can get some good player still but honestly I dont see Ballard handing out large contracts for any top level talent in this FA. 

Just now, Colt Overseas said:

Chiefs are over paying by a good $2 million. Ballard seems like he is sticking strong to his guns about not overpaying. Not really surprising as he was quite reluctant to pay Hankins $10 million per year. 

Hopefully we can get some good player still but honestly I dont see Ballard handing out large contracts for any top level talent in this FA. 

I understand he wants to hand out big contracts to keep his own guys, but over the next 3 or 4 years, WHO do we have deserving of big second contracts?

1 minute ago, stitches said:

This is much more than I expected him to get. Ballard probably passed because of it. He said in interviews he won't overpay for FAs. 

Puts him as 4th highest MIKE... Yeah, it would’ve been nice but the way the trade down is looking more of a possibility in the draft we could still get Smith or Edmunds. Way too many people on this site are crying the first day of FA.

1 minute ago, Indy Fan said:

Puts him as 4th highest MIKE... Yeah, it would’ve been nice but the way the trade down is looking more of a possibility in the draft we could still get Smith or Edmunds. Way too many people on this site are crying the first day of FA.

Just look through the mock off-seasons on this board... most people were giving Hitchens money in the 6-7M per year range. 9 is a whole different level. He's gotten paid like he's at least a pro bowler and as solid as he's been he's not close to that. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just look through the mock off-seasons on this board... most people were giving Hitchens money in the 6-7M per year range. 9 is a whole different level. He's gotten paid like he's at least a pro bowler and as solid as he's been he's not close to that. 

yep, and this is the one thing Ballard said he wouldn't do....pay blue chip money for solid players.

Just now, PeterBowman said:

yep, and this is the one thing Ballard said he wouldn't do....pay blue chip money for solid players.

Exactly. Sammy Watkins fits that description, too... solid player, not worth 16 per year.

Norwell is probably the only one who fits the bill performance wise and pricetag wise but oh well... he had a ton of suitors and he chose one... you cannot force him to sign with you. 

18 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I understand he wants to hand out big contracts to keep his own guys, but over the next 3 or 4 years, WHO do we have deserving of big second contracts?

Very fair point. Like Hooker and Kelly where solid first round picks but even still its unlikely they are going to command money into the mid million teens. I think its ok letting Hitchens go for that money but Norwell at $13mil and Robinson at $12 isnt unreasonable imo, and its affordable.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Are you freaking kidding me? He was the one guy I thought for sure Ballard and Eberflus wanted. 

Well I am sure they did want him.  But what are you going to do if someone is willing to pay more than he's worth to you?  I've always been of the opinion that out of all the positions on defense, the off ball linebackers are the easiest to fill with mid-round talent.  I could be wrong, but I haven't seen enough to believe otherwise.  Still, would have been nice to have him locked down because we do need LBs.

3 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

At the moment Colts have a ton of money, but also a ton of holes in their roster... can't expect to fill them all through the draft. Can't expect to have success if you fill half of your holes with average fillers...

Right now, we have below average in those holes, so even average will be an improvement :lol:

1 hour ago, Colt Overseas said:

Hankins worked out rather well thus far though.  

I'm not advocating going hog wild here but Ballard is going to have to put some money on the table to get good starters.  

Otherwise we'll just be paying subpar players and losing.  And that my friends is overpaying.  

44 minutes ago, austriancolt said:

At the moment Colts have a ton of money, but also a ton of holes in their roster... can't expect to fill them all through the draft. Can't expect to have success if you fill half of your holes with average fillers...

You don’t fill every hole in 1 off-season. You draft BPA, supplement with fair priced FA’s, and continue to coach up your guys. After a few years you get a solid roster.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Completely agree this guy isn’t Wagner or Kuechly.