Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rex Ryan as DC?

Rackeen305

Long time lurker, first time poster, very thankful for this forum as it allows me to get my colts fix year round, so thanks to each of you for your posts.

On the topic of Rex Ryan, it would be hard  for me to embrace him as part of the colts coach staff as I still have not forgotten the 2010 divisional round when his Jets kicked the go ahead field goal with :03 on the clock. 

Not sure I could stomach seeing his smug face 20 sundays a year...just my 2 cents.

45 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Absolutely. His defenses pretty much always stifle the league's better QBs. Him as DC and McDaniels as HC could actually be the Pats kryptonite. Not that I think he'd want to do it, but as a pure DC I'd love it. 

I think he had issues with Bellichick.  Not sure if that translates to issues with McDaniels though.

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I think he had issues with Bellichick.  Not sure if that translates to issues with McDaniels though.

It'd make for some quality entertainment though. Former apprentice takes up arms against his master, with the aid of the master's most vociferous foe. Much more interesting than a Titans/Pats Divisional Playoff game. 

That's a tough one.  There's no doubt he's a great defensive mind and would make the defense better, but then you have to deal with all the possible distractions that come with it.  I'm not so sure Ballard would want that for the Colts, and I feel like the type of person he wants at HC also wouldn't want that for his team.

Sure. He's a talented defensive mind. He can put together a competent defensive gameplan every week. I doubt he'd be a sideshow too. Most former head coaches who go back to being a coordinator stay out of sight. (well, unless you're Lane Kiffin.)

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

It'd make for some quality entertainment though. Former apprentice takes up arms against his master, with the aid of the master's most vociferous foe. Much more interesting than a Titans/Pats Divisional Playoff game. 

As a positive it doesn’t sound like McDaniels is a players coach and Ryan certainly is.  May be a way to have the best of both for the team.  

He talks way too much... id give him a extra bonus if he keeps quiet besides that he’s kinda good but he doesn’t coach like Wade Phillips who schemes around his players he forces players to play in his scheme see His stint in buffalo to understand 

Talks way too much & doesn’t hold his players accountable enough.  Rex is way too reckless and is the complete opposite of what Ballard said he’d want.  But the guy sure can coach defense...  If you could get him without the antics, watch out...  Instead of McVey/Phillips we’d have McDaniels/Ryan...  Add a healthy Luck and a strong draft class & free agents & we’d be contenders next year.  

Problem is he learned from his father and like him he’d divide the team...  We need unity not a civil war...  Maybe he would behave for a year or 2 in the hopes of getting another HC opportunity???  I can definitely see us competing for a ring within 2 years though if the aforementioned things occur.  

With both McDaniels & Patricia leaving, Brady’s age, & him forcing out Garoppolo, throw in Big Ben whispering retirement...  The guard can quickly be changing in the AFC.  I’d like our chances of being that next dynastic franchise. Along with Raiders, Chiefs, Texans (if Watson continues his rise), & shockingly the Jags (Defense is young & legit).  Steelers would only be a QB away...  If Ben walks, a guy like Cousins could keep them right there as contenders.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Talks way too much & doesn’t hold his players accountable enough.  Rex is way too reckless and is the complete opposite of what Ballard said he’d want.  But the guy sure can coach defense...  If you could get him without the antics, watch out...  Instead of McVey/Phillips we’d have McDaniels/Ryan...  Add a healthy Luck and a strong draft class & free agents & we’d be contenders next year.  

Problem is he learned from his father and like him he’d would divide the team...  We need unity not a civil war...  Maybe he would behave for a year or 2 in the hopes of getting another HC opportunity???  I can definitely see us competing for a ring within 2 years though if the aforementioned things occur.  

With both McDaniels & Patricia leaving, Brady’s age, & him forcing out Garoppolo, throw in Big Ben whispering retirement...  The guard can quickly be changing in the AFC.  I’d like our chances of being that next dynastic franchise. Along with Raiders, Chiefs, Texans (if Watson continues his rise), & shockingly the Jags (Defense is young & legit).  Steelers would only be a QB away...  If Ben walks, a guy like Cousins could keep them right there as contenders.

I really do think we are the next dynasty in the NFL. 

8 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'd love to have him in that role. And the people b***g about Rex being Rex, who cares, his defenses ALWAYS ball out and that's the only thing that matters.

He took over top 3 or 4 defense in Buffalo and claimed in his introductory press conference that it wasn't good enough. It became average for the next two seasons and he got fired.

3 hours ago, Finball said:

He took over top 3 or 4 defense in Buffalo and claimed in his introductory press conference that it wasn't good enough. It became average for the next two seasons and he got fired.

And that same defense got worse this year and was in the bottom 1/4 statistically. 2 down years out of how many, wouldn't deter me from what the guy has done with defenses over his career.

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'd rather bring Pagano back...... and I want Pagano fired last year

If Pagano could coach up a defense as well as Rex Ryan he would still be the Colts coach , He like Dungy were brought in as HC's to fix broken Colts defense neither ever actually accomplished that task , Dungy gets a pass even with the leagues worst regular season defense he brought home the Lombardi .  

Colts Offenses have generally since 18's days done pretty good only to be let down by the defense . 12 has had a poor line & RB situation that has led to disaster as he tried to do to much .

We need whomever can help fix this team as a DC , Even Ryan  I would hope  that the Colts talk to any & all that can change a decades long problem . 

As a HC no way ..