Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our best defensive player?

Trace Pyott

I was thinking about what holes we need to fill next year and how our defense stacks up compared to our defenses of the past and I started wondering who is the MVP of our defense? If you would of asked me last year I would of probably said our best player was vontae which is extremely sad but it is what it is. With him playing horrible and supposedly injured all year long I'm not sure who our best defensive player is anymore.  Just for fun let's have 3 categories .....best defensive player currently playing (so take away the guys who are on IR or out all season like hooker) ......best player period injured or not ......and most important player period (not necessarily the best player but can be, but basically the straw that stirs the drink). Who would you say these 3 guys are on our defense this year??

6 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

I was thinking about what holes we need to fill next year and how our defense stacks up compared to our defenses of the past and I started wondering who is the MVP of our defense? If you would of asked me last year I would of probably said our best player was vontae which is extremely sad but it is what it is. With him playing horrible and supposedly injured all year long I'm not sure who our best defensive player is anymore.  Just for fun let's have 3 categories .....best defensive player currently playing (so take away the guys who are on IR or out all season like hooker) ......best player period injured or not ......and most important player period (not necessarily the best player but can be, but basically the straw that stirs the drink). Who would you say these 3 guys are on our defense this year??

Current starters?  i'd say Al Woods Or Hankins. 

are we talking currently playing or ones that are on IR too?

if so, I'd like to include Hooker too...still young and learning but his playmaking ability can't be denied.

But as for steadiness I'd go for Henry Anderson as well (too bad he's on IR again)...he's got bad luck with freak injuries.  

But Al Woods has been great at doing the dirty work...if only the ILBs could be better more consistently.

So far this season, I'm really liking Simon, Sheard, Mingo, Anderson, Wilson (when he plays), Hooker, Melvin, Woods, and Hankins.  With this being said, I thinks have a good core of D players going into next season.  Oh i forgot I like what I've seen from Hairston too.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:32 AM, TheEdgeis1 said:

So far this season, I'm really liking Simon, Sheard, Mingo, Anderson, Wilson (when he plays), Hooker, Melvin, Woods, and Hankins.  With this being said, I thinks have a good core of D players going into next season.  Oh i forgot I like what I've seen from Hairston too.

I’m liking every name you listed. Unsure on Wilson though. That’s because of lack of playing time though. I think all of the others have played hard and made plays. A healthy Geathers & Vontae would have been very helpful this season. I think all those guys should be brought back. Add a pass rusher and a dynamic middle linebacker with a new DC and we’ll see a nice improvement from our D.