Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LOS: New turf will be ready by July

csmopar

Thank you so much for sharing this update! I am embarrassed to admit that I completely forgot the whole turf replacement debacle ever happened. This is great news though. 

That said, I have no real opinion on the topic one way or the other, so I defer to the opinions of the players and coaches rather than the suits. The players are the ones putting their health on the line. The science behind it always makes sense, but I still believe there to be too many theories on the topic rather than concrete facts. Whatever the consensus is among the players is what I would like to see happen. 

I played on one of the first iterations of turf in HS back in ‘06. The first version that had the rubber pellets, not actual astro turf lol. I liked it because it felt flashy at the time. I preferred it to natural turf. That said, our “natural turf” practice field was comprised of a lot of dirt and rocks, not the lush NFL natural fields. So I was biased. Not to mention the much lower velocity, intensity, and impact at the HS level compared to the NFL lol. 

This IS good news. But of course, the CIB has to spring for it. Far be it for the Colts to get this done themselves for the players. Sour grapes, maybe, but the contract the Colts have for LOS is so lopsided in their favor and against the taxpayers that it borders on the absurd. It’s the way the city decided it had to go to keep the Colts in town, but what a sweetheart deal for Jim Irsay. 

Just a bit of griping here, but I am glad that the turf will be safer for the players.