Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good Victory

JColts72

Didnt have too much to complain about today. I enjoyed the win. Thought we played a pretty balanced football game. Good doses of run and pass. We played really well on defense. Seems Ted is playing more man coverage and blitzing with less zone or at least blitzing with zone coverage behind it and thats what i was looking for. Execution was decent on offense Did what we had to do. I just wish we would get a whole lot better at putting the ball in the end zone. We would get more Ws if we could. Work in progress but we are making strides.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What struck me today was something i heard in the pregame.

they mentioned how the loss of watt and merciless (mainly watt), turned this team from a top five defense to a defence falling every week and into the 20s.

This made me smile because of what this defense could be in the near tuture.  If a team can do op that far because of a player or two, they can certainly improve in a similar manner.  I think we saw this on the DL with runnstopping. We have some exciting young guys on the backend that excite me and a solid DL.  We hit on an edge rusher and a MLB that can cover we're ok. (And young)

OL, and LB.  Not so much to ask.

(assuming Luck is fine for next season)

That tomahawk chop by Sheard that knocked the ball out looked VERY familiar.  Watch it back.... i had a Robert Mathis flashback.

Rogers had a big first down for us. Doyle played tuff.  TY stepped up. Brissett and our defensive backfield played gard.

we beat a good team in their house.  A house already pumped up from the world series.  I think Chuck coached his best game of the year too.

3 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Early last week, a LOT of prognosticators we’re picking Houston to emerge as the best of the AFC South.  Thus, isn’t it interesting that you take away their QB and all of a sudden they can’t beat our Colts?   In fact, the game should not have become as close at the end as it did.

When you look at this season, the Colts really should have won at least four of the games they ended up pooping away.  So really, instead of 3-6, a strong argument can be made that they should currently be sitting at 7-2. 

Just maybe the Colts aren’t as far away from again becoming contenders as we’ve all been depressingly thinking.  Just maybe next year, with a healthy Luck, new coaching staff, two key FA signings, and 3 to 4 key draft choice additions, the Colts. Ishtar quickly turn the corner as soon as next year. :)

I really see this being the case. Pus well get a pretty easy schedule next year

3 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Colts are not a 7 and 2 squad. Best case 2 more wlns vs cinny and arizona.

But yet, they really should have won fourr of those games.  Losing them was do to complete coaching and onfield breakdowns.  With discipline and fine coaching, those breakdowns don’t occur and the Colts, wth a back-up QB would be sitting at 7-2.  Even if just two instead of four, that’s still sitting at 5-4, which is in contention.

i agree they do not look the part and are too flawed to be a for real 7-2 team, but honestly, just how many teams REALLY are for real 7-2?

the point is, despite their flaws, the Colts are really just a thin line away fro being 7-2.  Like I said, a few key additions and better coaching staff, next year the jump to a near top record is NOT an outlandish possibility.

8 hours ago, Ratking said:

Although I am sure the fan boys around here are thrilled to get a meaningless win over an injury decimated Houston team... I wish the Colts would have lost today.... They are just working themselves out of a good draft pick next year.

The Houston team is no more decimated by injuries than the Colts.

As far as draft picks it is not where you pick, it's who you pick. We are going to have some pretty good cap money to spend so a good draft(no matter where it falls) and a few decent free agents can go along way.

10 hours ago, CF4L said:

We could've gotten Russell Wilson with those picks. 

He's a good QB

Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. 

While the Manning worked out as the #1 pick there are many who don't always pan out at that spot either. 

Besides how would we get the #1 pick when the Browns and 49ers are still winless the Giants also have a worse record than we do. 

We're not really looking for a QB(as far as we know at the moment) so it doesn't need to be #1 we will at worst get a top 10 pick

A top 5 pick has tremendous value in three sense that we can trade down. Why drop ourselves to a position that we can trade down to.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Luck was playing I honestly believe we would be 6-3 right now but I am proud of Brissett as he is giving 100% and played Great today. With Luck we would've beat the Cards, Titans, and Bengals. 6-3 instead 3-6. The Jacks game we still probably would've lost, our D was real Bad in that one.

And if Dave Casper did not catch ghost to post, we be in Superbowl, and if Ben did not make shoe string tackle, and, and...Accept the record for what is.  

15 hours ago, Ratking said:

Although I am sure the fan boys around here are thrilled to get a meaningless win over an injury decimated Houston team... I wish the Colts would have lost today.... They are just working themselves out of a good draft pick next year.

What a pathetic viewpoint from a so called fan.......hope they win out and really make you mad....

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's pretty amazing why some think a coaching change will all of a sudden make this team better. It could just as well go the other direction.

A coaching change gives us a chance at keeping Luck healthy.  Something that this Coaching staff had not even remotely attempted to do via play calling.  That in itself is more than enough to want a new coaching change.  I can't believe you actually are ok running 7+ step drops and letting our QB get slaughtered over and over, which is exactly what this coaching staff has shown they are intent on doing regardless of the oline talent in front of them. 

2 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Deeper than us.  All depends on their QB.

Well of course they are deeper than us. % who isn’t at this point. 

But losing to move up a few spots is the most asinine *ic plan a person could come up with. 

Losers lose. You build a culture of winning. I don’t ever see NE picking high.

11 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

The Broncos could use someone like Brissett on their team right about now.

they need to pay up if they want to pry him away

i wouldn't let him go for just a second even though its probably what hes worth 

Gutsy win. I really thought we were going to blow it. Yes, the Tom Savage factor had its finger prints over a lot of our success at so many levels, from game tempo to not letting the game get away from us etc. but a win is a win. It is hard enough to win in this league. I am happy Brissett got his first road win because he should have another one in Cinci but we let it slip away. An "almost" win never counts, an "almost" loss that results in a win does count. :) 

Let us hope these guys show us how well their talents can be used the rest of the year.

16 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

I don't think the draft is gonna change this team to SB contenders we are not 10 players away its more like a couple holes and clean house on coaching staff and get luck back and we are AFC South contenders again 

I agree. With a healthy team and the real starters in I believe we’re right back in it. The oline does need some upgrades though.

3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Yeah, that’s a tough lineup of opponents, the NFC East.  Team will really need to improve to contend.

If we finish last in the AFC South, it is possible we play the Browns and the Broncos again. However, yeah, we need Luck with all guns blazing to get through that schedule, which includes the mighty Patriots on the road as well.

2 hours ago, Surge89 said:

A coaching change gives us a chance at keeping Luck healthy.  Something that this Coaching staff had not even remotely attempted to do via play calling.  That in itself is more than enough to want a new coaching change.  I can't believe you actually are ok running 7+ step drops and letting our QB get slaughtered over and over, which is exactly what this coaching staff has shown they are intent on doing regardless of the oline talent in front of them. 

Yep, blame it all on the coaching. That's you answer so stick with it.

18 hours ago, Ratking said:

They tried very hard to lose it at the end, another 30 seconds and they would have likely lost......  Next game will be bad, at least we won't have to worry that they will choke at the end.... it will be over long before that.  this team is going to have to rebuild, and now.

20 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Early last week, a LOT of prognosticators were picking Houston to emerge as the best of the AFC South.  Thus, isn’t it interesting that you take away their QB and all of a sudden they can’t beat our Colts?   In fact, the game should not have become as close at the end as it did.

When you look at this season, the Colts really should have won at least four of the games they ended up pooping away.  So really, instead of 3-6, a strong argument can be made that they should currently be sitting at 7-2. 

Just maybe the Colts aren’t as far away from again becoming contenders as we’ve all been depressingly thinking.  Just maybe next year, with a healthy Luck, new coaching staff, two key FA signings, and 3 to 4 key draft choice additions, the Colts just might quickly turn the corner as soon as next year. :)

Oh. God. 

Thinking like this is exactly how teams get stuck with coaches like Pagano and Marvin Lewis...

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yep, blame it all on the coaching. That's you answer so stick with it.

Ok.  Did you even read what I wrote?  Playcalling is literally not touched by any player except the coaches and maybe Luck who isn't over the coaches....  This is my main issue with them.  The playcalling and style has not changed since Pagano has been here.  That isn't "blaming the coaching" that is literal fact.  Don't attempt to clump me with the rest of the forum who blames Pagano for every little thing.  He is actually doing a good job this season imo with almost nothing to work with, but I still want him and his offense gone. 

In other words read before you attempt your snarky responses. 

14 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Oh. God. 

Thinking like this is exactly how teams get stuck with coaches like Pagano and Marvin Lewis...

Ummm, did you read the part of my post where I mention "... with a... new coaching staff ..."?

I was in NO way advocating retention of the current staff into next year.  What I WAS doing, though, was pointing out the thin line that separates winning from losing ... and in the Colt's case this year, that line is very thin, for they could / should be sitting with a record of 6-3 or even 7-2.  Put that record in place and the discussion surrounding their level of talent would be very much different, whether or not they would have been dismissed as pretenders versus real contenders.

Ergo, the point being, with a few changes and strokes of good luck (Luck) next year (including with a new and improved coaching staff), the Colts might very realistically be legitimate contenders in only one year's time.

14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If Luck was playing I honestly believe we would be 6-3 right now but I am proud of Brissett as he is giving 100% and played Great today. With Luck we would've beat the Cards, Titans, and Bengals. 6-3 instead 3-6. The Jacks game we still probably would've lost, our D was real Bad in that one.

Honestly, they should have beat Arizona, Cincinnati and possibly even Tennessee if they would have finished those games like they played the first 3 quarters.  Even with Brissett they should be 5-4 or 6-3.  Found ways to lose a few they shouldn't.  Luck gives them much more of a chance to win though, obviously. 

1 minute ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Honestly, they should have beat Arizona, Cincinnati and possibly even Tennessee if they would have finished those games like they played the first 3 quarters.  Even with Brissett they should be 5-4 or 6-3.  Found ways to lose a few they shouldn't.  Luck gives them much more of a chance to win though, obviously. 

That is where Luck closes better because he's a Top 10 QB when healthy.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is where Luck closes better because he's a Top 10 QB when healthy.

I totally agree.  The defense got smoked in a few of those games but on the flip side, if the offense could have stayed on the field, the Colts would have won.  I think they'll beat Houston at Home, Baltimore at Baltimore and the Broncos at home and finish 6-10.  I think they'll obviously pick in the top 10. 

Just now, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I totally agree.  The defense got smoked in a few of those games but on the flip side, if the offense could have stayed on the field, the Colts would have won.  I think they'll beat Houston at Home, Baltimore at Baltimore and the Broncos at home and finish 6-10.  I think they'll obviously pick in the top 10. 

Yeah I see 6-10 as well which should put us picking around 10th. Chuck will be gone too IMO. I see us beating the Titans here, Texans here, and Broncos. Not sure we win at Baltimore. I think we lose at Jacks as well.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I see 6-10 as well which should put us picking around 10th. Chuck will be gone too IMO. I see us beating the Titans here, Texans here, and Broncos. Not sure we win at Baltimore. I think we lose at Jacks as well.

I could see that.  I think Tennessee will be ready for us in Indy though, they'll be fighting for a playoff spot.  All though I think Jax wins the division.  I've watched a lot of the Broncos and Ravens this year and both teams are worse than the Colts imo.  Games could go either way but I think Indy can take both of them and Houston at home.  On the flip side I could see all 3 of those teams beating Indy and Indy beating Pitt or Jax at Jax, something crazy anyways.