Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking: Jacoby Brissett named Starter

TKnight24

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not sure how much advantage the other team would get from preparing for Brisset or Tolzien. Brisset has very little game tape and it was in a QB friendly NE offense so that doesn't hold much value. Tolzien doesn't need to be prepared for, just tell the D to take turns picking him off so everyone gets a turn. 

Yeah,   that's not how it works.   Also,  still no reason to announce the starter

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.....   we agree.....     a bad miss.

I think they figured this out AFTER free agency....   by the time they realized Luck might not be back in time,  it was too late.     The gamble was lost.

I know Ballard and even Luck have said there was no set-back.     I honestly don't believe it.    The moves the team made throughout the course of the off-season,  capped off by trading for Brissett all scream (to me)  that they knew Tolzein wasn't good enough.       That they'd take a loss or two with Tolzen to have a better chance with Brissett when he got up to speed.     That's the only thing that makes sense to me.  

I said this the day we traded for Brissett.     And nothing has changed since to make me think anything else.

If Andrew isn't at full practice by mid October, then I'll say there was a setback.  The time frame for recovery is, and has always been, 6 to 9 months before getting back into sport.  People want to always equate the minimum time (or even sooner!!) as the defining standard to return to play, because they want to their star player ASAP.  Possibly feel "because they are football players they heal faster than other humans", and the 'team needs them so they will get put in even before they are fully healed' type of thinking.  In some medical conditions,and certain positions on the field, that is possible.  But certain other injuries are not.  Renal lacerations and Labrum repair are just two examples.

IE: 2015.  Luck suffers kidney laceration and a core (stomach) muscle tear.  I told folks it would be around 8 weeks or so before we could even possibly see Luck.  Pagano comes out and says 2-6 weeks. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/11/10/colts-qb-luck-out-2-6-weeks-with-kidney-muscle-injuries/75527710/

Members here are now figuring out how/if the Colts can win 2 games until Luck comes back.  Of course, he never did that year. 

Same thing with his sore shoulder he suffered earlier vs the Titans. When I caught an early report of 'subluxation' {that was quickly recanted by the Colts it seems}, I said this would be problematic for Andrew, and Chuck said it was a sore shoulder and was "day to day"

http://fox59.com/2015/10/05/source-andrew-luck-suffered-subluxation-of-throwing-shoulder-has-consulted-3-doctors/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/30/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-limited-practice-chuck-pagano

Luck missed 2 games, then played on that bum shoulder until the fateful Bronco game, and then again all of last year.  That "Sore shoulder" also had to be operated on to fully fix it and is why Luck and the Colts are where they are.

For those wanting to truly know Luck status, they really need to see this video, starting at the 2:54 point-

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/94597359-132.html

This relevant and factual assessment is from an orthopedic surgeon, who performs these operations in his practice, and also performed them (even on some NFL players) as Chief Team Physician of the San Diego Chargers; for 17 years.

The Colts have proven to not be reliable source for injury updates/reports.  Nor should anyone expect them to.  They are only required by the NFL to list participation status in practice each week and what part of the body may hamper a players ability to fully participate in practice or play in that upcoming weeks game.  That's all. Nothing else.

I did notice Dr. Chao now threw in a 2-4 week time frame (I've always been of the 2-3 week prep time) once practicing instead of just a month or the 3-4 he had been projecting.  We all hope its the former rather than the latter, and Luck is practicing in team drills by next week.

And I agree (and felt all along) Tolzien wasn't the answer. And at some point, the Colts knew it too.  I bet they tried to get another QB in but couldn't swing any deals until the Pats were willing to swap JB for PD.

Those for Morris?  I think he is still a free agent. That might be the end in the NFL.

11 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Not sure why Colts staff chose Tolzien over Morris, 

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the Colts decided to go with Tolzien way before training camp ever started. Morris was not going to win the job no matter what he did. Back-up to Luck was never open to competition. Brissett was brought in to replace Morris for the short term, and to eventually replace Tolzien. But the Colts were 100% committed to roll with Tolzien until Luck returns, but Tolzien's meltdown upset that apple cart. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

The more I think about it, the more I believe that the Colts decided to go with Tolzien way before training camp ever started. Morris was not going to win the job no matter what he did. Back-up to Luck was never open to competition. Brissett was brought in to replace Morris for the short term, and to eventually replace Tolzien. But the Colts were 100% committed to roll with Tolzien until Luck returns, but Tolzien's meltdown upset that apple cart. 

Morris it not in the NFL.  He is PS level and not eligible for PS.  His NFL career is likely over.  They knew Tolzien wasn't the answer either.  Becasue Irsay came out in early mid August about looking for a QB -

“We did have a (quarterback) candidate or two,” Irsay said, saying he’d discussed the issue with general manager Chris Ballard and coach Chuck Pagano. “I think that we came semi-close to bringing in a mid-30, mid-to-late 30 guy. We had a (salary) number. The guy wanted more than the number. It wasn’t Kaepernick. It just didn’t work out so we moved on.”

Shows they knew likely in July they needed a better QB than any of the 3 UDFA's on the squad, and were active in trying to get one without giving up the farm. (I wonder if Tony Romo was one? Jay Cutler?  Who?)  They got Brisset before the 'Tolzien meltdown', but not in time to take the 1st game start away.

7 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Morris it not in the NFL.  He is PS level and not eligible for PS.  His NFL career is likely over.  They knew Tolzien wasn't the answer either.  Becasue Irsay came out in early mid August about looking for a QB -

“We did have a (quarterback) candidate or two,” Irsay said, saying he’d discussed the issue with general manager Chris Ballard and coach Chuck Pagano. “I think that we came semi-close to bringing in a mid-30, mid-to-late 30 guy. We had a (salary) number. The guy wanted more than the number. It wasn’t Kaepernick. It just didn’t work out so we moved on.”

Shows they knew likely in July they needed a better QB than any of the 3 UDFA's on the squad, and were active in trying to get one without giving up the farm. (I wonder if Tony Romo was one? Jay Cutler?  Who?)  They got Brisset before the 'Tolzien meltdown', but not in time to take the 1st game start away.

I've got no insight, but it's safe to say it was Cutler.

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

When I read this, I thought Ryan Fitzpatrick. That would not be that much better than Tolzien. 

I remember when you recommended drafting Mannion as a QB to develop. He might have been last week's Colts starter had he been drafted.

30 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I know Morris is out of the NFL, and that he isn't practice squad eligible. I never said he was(?)

I also know that the Colts were considering bringing in a vet QB, but they "moved on" with Tolstiien, and I am of the opinion that Morris never had a chance, he wasn't going to get the job no matter what....and, .Ballard said himself that Brissett was brought in for the long term, not a short-term panic move, but it has ended up that way....

12 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

This organization butchered the QB position this offseason.  And I simply won't ever agree with a stance that says Tolzien is a better option than any one of a number of still unsigned free agents or even a draft pick.  They had a lot of time and had the money to make sure that the backup was better than Tolzien.  They didn't.  

I don't disagree with any of that. But that doesn't change the fact that, right now, there really is no other choice....except morris. 

36 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I've got no insight, but it's safe to say it was Cutler.

Which would interesting. Irsay said they had a number. Cutler took 5 million in base salary, and 5 million in bonus money.  Tannehill is getting 18 million this year salary!  How much below 10 million was Irsay willing to pay a vet starting caliber QB?

34 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

When I read this, I thought Ryan Fitzpatrick. That would not be that much better than Tolzien. 

I remember when you recommended drafting Mannion as a QB to develop. He might have been last week's Colts starter had he been drafted.

True.  I was even bigger fan on getting Mike Glennon before that.  But he might well have moved on like he did from Tampa to start for the Bears. And i was wrong about Matt H.  He ended up earning every cent of his ( 1 year ) contract for being Luck's replacement in 2015.

6 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

What I want from the O is to run when they expect pass, and pass when they expect run, and chew clock and get first downs.  Give the guys on D a chance by tipping the TOP to even or even in the Colts favor. That's my take, anyway.

To your point here, I'd like to see them give the young man a pass/run option in their play calling. This will give him the ability to make adjustments at the LOS. Part of taking command of an offense, is getting out of plays the defense has anticipated. Nothing will help him learn and compete more than letting him be unpredictable and aggressive.

All in, balls out!

Go COLTS!

On 9/15/2017 at 11:11 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

No doubt the scout team looked at AZ tape, and what JB knows of the playbook.  they trim down the playbook to the plays that are deemed necessary vs the Cards, and further to those JB knows and can execute at a high level. I would not doubt we trim it to slightly smaller playlist, but run similar plays, but out of different 'looks'.

It's not fair to expect a top tier performance this quickly. OTOH, if the coaches do it right, they can get the most out of JB even with limited experience with the receivers and playbook.  What is certain, we must have a good ground game. If we do not, they have put JB in a position to fail.

And this would be my concern with knowing the history of our coaching staff over time, they don't seem to adjust to fit player skill sets as much as they expect all players to adapt into their system, even if it's not to a strength of the player. I would almost bet we still come out with run, run, pass and punt. Then we make the 20+ yard patterns downfield and expect timing plays to work. I'd have a bit more faith in this team if they have shown an ability to adjust game plans to attack supposedly weak spots in other teams but it's as if our coaching just can't game plan to attack them. I certainly don't understand this coaching staffs inabilty to adjust to player strengths in making gameplans vs we practice our scheme and one day, it will work. It's crazy!

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Wonder what happen if Colts draft in top 3 in 18. Take QB or trade pick? I get QB as Luck is one good d shot from being damaged goods.

Unless Luck is hurt far worse than the Colts are letting on I expect that they would try to trade that pick for hopefully a king's ransome and give Ballard more ammo to rebuild with.  Colts need a lot of help all over the place.

11 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

So, was it too small a sample size or not, Zibbs......?

Want to clarify?

Because I know there's no way you would seriously compare assessing arm strength and accuracy after 3 reps to whether a QB generally looks comfortable in the pocket.

9 hours ago, Jdubu said:

And this would be my concern with knowing the history of our coaching staff over time, they don't seem to adjust to fit player skill sets as much as they expect all players to adapt into their system, even if it's not to a strength of the player. I would almost bet we still come out with run, run, pass and punt. Then we make the 20+ yard patterns downfield and expect timing plays to work. I'd have a bit more faith in this team if they have shown an ability to adjust game plans to attack supposedly weak spots in other teams but it's as if our coaching just can't game plan to attack them. I certainly don't understand this coaching staffs inabilty to adjust to player strengths in making gameplans vs we practice our scheme and one day, it will work. It's crazy!

The bolded part above was addressed in my post here-

further to those JB knows and can execute at a high level. 

Yes, Jacoby has to learn the Colts system.  Tell me this, is it easier to get one guy to learn a system, or re-train 10 other guys to fit a new system.  One where the playbook has not yet even been developed for the season? (Like Chud, Pagano Philbin etc.. have already done over the winter).

Despite this, they will ask Jacoby what he is comfortable with in the game plan. They will pull out plays from the big playbook Luck could run, but don't want him to.  Maybe Jacoby can run those.  They will take a 500 (or who knows, 1000?) page playbook, and create game plans from there.  By the time the opponent game plan is made, they may have whittled it down to 100 to 125 plays or so.  It's that color coded laminated sheet an OC uses to cover his mouth calling in plays. I'll have to check Pat Kirwins book again on the approximate figure those game plan sheets contai, but they cover every down, distance, and situation.  From there, because of Playbook knowledge, they may knock it back to 70 or 80, based upon who is QB and how much they know, and how much can they execute.

The whole playbook is generally not available for each game.  And the players are only good at what they practice... get reps at.  They have limited practice time (especially in pads) for each week.  And the typical NFL team runs about 65 offensive plays per game.  The top is usually 70, and the bottom is right near 60.  Sometime, plays are used again and again during a game, especially if effective.  And other times, those same plays are run multiple times, but out of a different formation. These guys study opponents, work with the QB to install plays they feel the offense can run well and successfully.

I mean. sometimes I think people here feel Chud has his encyclopedia playbook open, flips from page to page dropping a finger on a play and calls it. Whether it was practiced or not. It's just not true.  and a successful game plan vs Team A might not work very well at all vs Team X.  That's why these guys get paid, and we chat on forums.

14 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If Andrew isn't at full practice by mid October, then I'll say there was a setback.  The time frame for recovery is, and has always been, 6 to 9 months before getting back into sport.  People want to always equate the minimum time (or even sooner!!) as the defining standard to return to play, because they want to their star player ASAP.

Yup. We're at 8 months right now (barely). He's a QB, and the operation was on his throwing shoulder. That his return would be at the long end of the recovery time frame is probably what we all should have expected, and if it takes him a full 9 months to return to full practice, that's not really indicative of a setback. 

Irsay said Luck would be back in time when announcing the surgery. It was obviously a premature declaration, and he walked it back later. But that, along with the Colts official 'no timetable' stance, basically encouraged speculation from everyone. And like you said, when it's the franchise QB and you know the team isn't going anywhere without him, the deadline becomes Week 1 in everyone's mind. When he's not back Week 1, it turns into a state of emergency, but I don't think there's any indication that anything has gone wrong. 

It would have been better if the Colts said 'we don't know if he'll be ready to play in Week 1, it could take 9 months or longer for him to be ready, but he wants to be out there as soon as possible.' But that doesn't sell tickets.

It also would have been better if they had evaluated their backup QBs more effectively. Based on how awful Tolzien played Sunday -- worst game of his career, easily -- they definitely should have taken more care with the backup QB position throughout the offseason. I think they were confident in Tolzien, but that's a huge miss. And it's an indelible black mark on the coaching staff, IMO.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, The Fish said:

There's a pretty sizable gap between "being fine" and "not being any worse than Tolzien".

It's safe to assume he'll be a bit better, but I'm not thinking that a guy who showed up two weeks ago is going to put a cape on and save the day.. Seems like a stretch.

We'll see (hey I can state the obvious!!)..

Well if he don't throw a couple of pick sixes we are already ahead.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 12:04 PM, Defjamz26 said:

100% agree with you. Let Morris be the backup to Brissett. Because if Jacoby gets injured what do you do? Go back to Tolzien?

If Morris was all that good why hasn't another team picked him up?  There is a need for back up QBs all over the league so IMO that tells me he is not well thought of by any one outside of this forum.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 12:16 PM, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Why?  He's as likely to have to play as anyone in a backup role on this roster.  Maybe more so.  If the Colts aren't going to play him, if he serves no on field purpose, this roster and this team isnt good enough to use one of 53 spots on a locker room cheerleader or practice field hall of famer.  

ST has to stay on the roster till someone else is signed to take his place. The Colts can't start a game with only Brissett and an injured Luck. If Brissett does get hurt Patty Mac is no longer on the roster.

15 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Five pages of stuff pertaining to quarterbacks that will never be remembered by anyone ever. Even a dead skunk stops stinking after time. 

You never know... maybe Luck/Brissett are our version of Bledsoe/Brady.  :P  :peek:

But you're right, time does heal all smells.  I just recently got the stench of 2011 out of my nostrils.  :jump:

58 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

ST has to stay on the roster till someone else is signed to take his place. The Colts can't start a game with only Brissett and an injured Luck. If Brissett does get hurt Patty Mac is no longer on the roster.

Oh dear lord...  Of course. That went without saying.  I'm aware you need a backup QB.   Nowhere did I suggest the Colts could ride it out with one QB.  The contrary was clear.  

Again, those who say keep Tolzien as a backup are saying you're ok seeing him play again.  That's what being one of 53 means.  You may well play.   You're the best 53 we can find.  The best.  He simply isn't to me.  I'd gladly sign any of three or four of the available QBs sitting on the couch now.  Tolzien will be cut when Luck returns, they won't keep 3, so now, later, it makes little difference.  Especially when Tolzien could well be mentally done on top of being physically unable since he's just been told he isn't good enough.   He isn't one of the best 53 players the Colts could have to me.  

18 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Oh dear lord...  Of course. That went without saying.  I'm aware you need a backup QB.   Nowhere did I suggest the Colts could ride it out with one QB.  The contrary was clear.  

Again, those who say keep Tolzien as a backup are saying you're ok seeing him play again.  That's what being one of 53 means.  You may well play.   You're the best 53 we can find.  The best.  He simply isn't to me.  I'd gladly sign any of three or four of the available QBs sitting on the couch now.  Tolzien will be cut when Luck returns, they won't keep 3, so now, later, it makes little difference.  Especially when Tolzien could well be mentally done on top of being physically unable since he's just been told he isn't good enough.   He isn't one of the best 53 players the Colts could have to me.  

Don't be surprised if the Colts carry 3 QB's this season.

It's not ideal....     but with Luck (who knows what he'll be when he returns)  and Brissett (who knows how long it will take him to get up to speed)   it might not be the worst idea to keep 3 QB's.     It's not like some teams don't already do it.

Not a lock prediction,  but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens...

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Don't be surprised if the Colts carry 3 QB's this season.

It's not ideal....     but with Luck (who knows what he'll be when he returns)  and Brissett (who knows how long it will take him to get up to speed)   it might not be the worst idea to keep 3 QB's.     It's not like some teams don't already do it.

Not a lock prediction,  but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens...

I should soften my stance on that you're right.  This year of all years, you're more likely correct than I am.  Nobody will know about Andrew until they know.  Which means 3 have to be kept.  Very good point. 

I'd still cut Tolzien though lol.  

9 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I should soften my stance on that you're right.  This year of all years, you're more likely correct than I am.  Nobody will know about Andrew until they know.  Which means 3 have to be kept.  Very good point. 

Id be all for cutting him and grabbing someone else once Luck is back. But until then we need someone helping Brissett along. Tolzien has years of experience holding a clipboard on the sidelines behind the games best qbs, and he knows the offense better than any current qb we could replace with him with. None of us are happy about it but thats the situation unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If Morris was all that good why hasn't another team picked him up?  There is a need for back up QBs all over the league so IMO that tells me he is not well thought of by any one outside of this forum.

That's a fair point. But it seems like he worked for the Colts. He knew the playbook and clearly outperformed Tolzien in Pre-season. Maybe he isn't well thought of around the league but I think he deserves to be the Colts backupto to Brissett until Luck gets back.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That's a fair point. But it seems like he worked for the Colts. He knew the playbook and clearly outperformed Tolzien in Pre-season. Maybe he isn't well thought of around the league but I think he deserves to be the Colts backupto to Brissett until Luck gets back.

Im not convinced he did know the playbook to the level he should have.  Seems like the only reasonable explanation as to why he never seemed to get his chance . He was bad enough in camp that he fell behind Walker, who had zero grasp of the playbook.

My assumption was that he wasnt great with the playbook/ in the film room and managed to look better than Tolzien with a smaller playbook that he was able to run. That in itself a testament to how much better he was than Tolzien when it came to level of play. That may also explain why no one else has touched him despite him looking like a player worth taking a chance on. Our coaches/front office may have got a few calls about him and didnt have great things to say about his work ethic. That shuts the door on young marginally talented players pretty quickly. 

I like Morris, and think he is the better player to win us games, unfortunately we needed someone better equipped to help Brissett along. In my mind that is the only reason that anyone would keep Tolzien over Morris.

I choose to believe that because the alternative is our GM legit believed he was better, and that scares the crap out of me. Might as well have kept Grigson if thats the case. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Honestly,   I really HATE the idea of 3 QB's.     I'm ALMOST never in favor of it.

But I think this year with the Colts situation,  it's sort of a Perfect Storm that gives the opportunity to do it.

Honestly,  the first poster here to float that Idea (that I'm aware of) was Superman.    And the more I thought about it,  the more it adds up for me.      It's annoying and frustrating,  but for 2017,  it's probably not a bad idea....